Thread: New QB draft thread.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

New QB draft thread.

If drafting a QB in the 2018 NFL Draft, who are your favorites to draft, in which rounds would you go QB, list your top 5 QBs in this draft. Can answer all or just some of these questions. Remember, this is from a purely Steeler state of mind.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: New QB draft thread.

I'm warming up to Jackson even though I wasn't impressed when I saw him this year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

1. Josh Rosen at 1
    2. Lamar Jackson at 32
    3. Luke Falk at 64
    4. Kyle Lauletta at 96
    5. Kyle Allen in R6

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Senior Bowl will have Lauletta, Falk, White, and Benkert. These are 4 very intriguing QB prospects. Sat, Jan27th.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I hope they take best defensive player available and hope Mason Rudolph lasts til round 2. Just don’t see Rosen, darnold, or Allen when we pick. Don’t want mayfield if Lamar is available they have decision to make. If they pick him I have confidence they have their reasons.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The Senior Bowl will have Lauletta, Falk, White, and Benkert. These are 4 very intriguing QB prospects. Sat, Jan27th.
    The Broncos’ coaching staff asked to coach Baker Mayfield, so that they can get a good feel for him (after a week of practices).

They pick 6th overall.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Broncos’ coaching staff asked to coach Baker Mayfield, so that they can get a good feel for him (after a week of practices).

They pick 6th overall.
    A lot of chatter that the Broncos will definitely take a QB early. Could very well be Mayfield. That would put 5 QBs on their roster, somebody, maybe 2 somebodies, will get their release if that happens. Kelly and Lynch are both still under rookie contracts. Steelers may want to at least take a look. Of course those 2 somebodies could end up being Seimian and Osweiler. Still might be an upgrade to Jones.

A lot of chatter that the Broncos will definitely take a QB early. Could very well be Mayfield. That would put 5 QBs on their roster, somebody, maybe 2 somebodies, will get their release if that happens. Kelly and Lynch are both still under rookie contracts. Steelers may want to at least take a look. Of course those 2 somebodies could end up being Seimian and Osweiler. Still might be an upgrade to Jones.
    I was talking to a Jets fan yesterday, and his brother (back in New York) says that everyone back there keeps taking about Mayfield at 6.

Someone IS taking him in the top 10.

As far acquiring a backup, while I think that we could do better than Landry, I also feel that we could do a lot worse. Landry is extremely confident in our system... so, I honestly see him beating out any of those QBs that you mentioned. They “might” have more upside than Landry, but if we are going to throw a young QB into the frey, I’d rather see Dobbs get a shot.

I was talking to a Jets fan yesterday, and his brother (back in New York) says that everyone back there keeps taking about Mayfield at 6.

Someone IS taking him in the top 10.

As far acquiring a backup, while I think that we could do better than Landry, I also feel that we could do a lot worse. Landry is extremely confident in our system... so, I honestly see him beating out any of those QBs that you mentioned. They “might” have more upside than Landry, but if we are going to throw a young QB into the frey, I’d rather see Dobbs get a shot.
    As we look at it today, I have to agree. However, looking at it from the 'Ben will retire in the next 3 years, maybe after this season' POV, I want to play the odds/numbers game and throw as many QBs at the future starting spot as we can now. None of them will replace Ben as I type this, but the better QB we have in place for when the inevitable happens, the better we keep this machine moving forward. Moving Jones into the starting role until we draft the next guy, is a losing plan. Dobbs is already in the mix and gets his shot too, he doesn't get left out. This is for the single most important role on the team, We have to 'interview' as many candidates as we can. In the draft there are no less than 10 teams that will most likely take an early round QB. That frees up some current NFL QBs new 'opportunities', and the Steelers some 'no/low risk' opportunities as well. I can find no downside. Plus, I would take another in the draft as well.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

If lamar jackson was 2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I'm not impressed by Jackson's throwing. He's not a good passer. He seems to be another great athlete who plays QB.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I'm not impressed by Jackson's throwing. He's not a good passer. He seems to be another great athlete who plays QB.
    Is he that much better then Dobbs?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Is he that much better then Dobbs?
    I wasn't a fan of Dobbs in college but I really don't think that Jackson is that much better in the NFL.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

As we look at it today, I have to agree. However, looking at it from the 'Ben will retire in the next 3 years, maybe after this season' POV, I want to play the odds/numbers game and throw as many QBs at the future starting spot as we can now. None of them will replace Ben as I type this, but the better QB we have in place for when the inevitable happens, the better we keep this machine moving forward. Moving Jones into the starting role until we draft the next guy, is a losing plan. Dobbs is already in the mix and gets his shot too, he doesn't get left out. This is for the single most important role on the team, We have to 'interview' as many candidates as we can. In the draft there are no less than 10 teams that will most likely take an early round QB. That frees up some current NFL QBs new 'opportunities', and the Steelers some 'no/low risk' opportunities as well. I can find no downside. Plus, I would take another in the draft as well.
    To clarify:
    I see Landry as a backup at the most. It’s not my intention to roll with him as a starter. (I hope that that wasn’t how it came across.)

With BB coming back, Jones is the backup... unless Dobbs unseats him. We could add another QB into the mix, but I’m not sure that we actually will (unless it was an early-round draft pick that we would be grooming to take over as a starter).

To clarify:
    I see Landry as a backup at the most. It’s not my intention to roll with him as a starter. (I hope that that wasn’t how it came across.)

With BB coming back, Jones is the backup... unless Dobbs unseats him. We could add another QB into the mix, but I’m not sure that we actually will (unless it was an early-round draft pick that we would be grooming to take over as a starter).
    I didn't think you meant to move forward with Jones as the starter, but that's where we would be if Ben did retire. To keep that from becoming reality, somebody has to take that roster spot over Jones. I'm saying that I'm not confident Dobbs has that ability. Not today. So, my plan is bring in 1 FA, and 1 draftee, and let the best 2 remain as Ben's backups for next season. If that remains Jones and Dobbs, nothing lost. If we make that position stronger, we win. I would use this strategy every offseason.

I didn't think you meant to move forward with Jones as the starter, but that's where we would be if Ben did retire. To keep that from becoming reality, somebody has to take that roster spot over Jones. I'm saying that I'm not confident Dobbs has that ability. Not today. So, my plan is bring in 1 FA, and 1 draftee, and let the best 2 remain as Ben's backups for next season. If that remains Jones and Dobbs, nothing lost. If we make that position stronger, we win. I would use this strategy every offseason.
    With BB coming back for 3 more seasons, how does that alter your plan?

For me, I’m not taking a QB in R1 or R2... maybe R3. That means that that draft pick would be competeing to supplant Jones or Dobbs (and, if we hit the lottery, hopefully taking over in season four).

With BB coming back for 3 more seasons, how does that alter your plan?

For me, I’m not taking a QB in R1 or R2... maybe R3. That means that that draft pick would be competeing to supplant Jones or Dobbs (and, if we hit the lottery, hopefully taking over in season four).
    Exactly. Best news of this entire season is Ben declaring to come back, and wanting to play for another 3 seasons. My plan to draft a QB this draft still comes down to who's available when we pick. I am a STRICT BPA drafter in the 1st. I think that is where we get 'game changers'. I am very much aware of the need in the middle of our defense. I still would not pass up on the future franchise QB to take the next Shazier/Troy. It WOULD be tempting, but you have to think back to the 80's and 90's. We had great LBs then.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

With BR wanting to stay 3 more years there is no need to waste a pick on a QB for any round.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    With BR wanting to stay 3 more years there is no need to waste a pick on a QB for any round.
    That is today talk. Ben is not under contract for 3 more years, #1. And taking a franchise QB is never a wasted pick, never.