Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some thoughts after the first preseason game

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Some thoughts after the first preseason game

Quick jabs:
    - Washington looked poised
    - Rudolph can be the heir apparent (I’ve felt this way since drafted)
    - Snell looked awful
    - The run by Samuels showed great vision and footwork
    - Bush will be a stud all year
    - Defense didn’t look good at all

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Quick jabs:
    - Washington looked poised
    - Rudolph can be the heir apparent (I’ve felt this way since drafted)
    - Snell looked awful
    - The run by Samuels showed great vision and footwork
    - Bush will be a stud all year
    It's a good thing most of the starters were on the side..........

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    you have to remember, Bud Dupree didn't play at all...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    It's a good thing most of the starters were on the side..........
    I still say fire Butler!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It is mostly that Snell just looked SLOW on an NFL field. Which is almost exactly what a ton of draft related stuff said might be a major concern with him. I don’t care about the lack of yards, I care that he looked like he didn’t belong. I hope I am wrong and there are many reasons to suspect I am. However, dude was in like the bottom 10% of testing #’s for his position and much of his impressive college production was because he was given the ball a fantastic amount of times. The next few games will tell us, as fans, far more than the first go round. But despite the big amount of hype for Snell across the Steelers related internet, it didn’t look good out of the gate.
    He looked VERY slow...that one run where he couldn’t turn the corner? He didn’t explode through holes. I was very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

To be more positive almost all the young LBers looked good. At some point the idea of NOT rostering Chickillo has to be taken seriously. CHick is not a good pass rusher and was victimized in space early in the game. Based just on last night the top three should be Watt, Dupree, and Alphabet Soup. Then Tupac. On the inside you have VW and Bush (who clearly needs to start) then Barron and Gilbert.

That’s 8. Dirty Red makes it 9 because of special teams and grittiness. I would rather have those 9 guys on the roster before Chickillo — who just isn’t going to get any better.
    Again, agree 100%. Said it in another thread...Chickillo should be nothing more than a camp body...all those guys plus Spillane and Gilbert should make the LB group before Chickillo. He has no rushing moves at all...zero.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Again, agree 100%. Said it in another thread...Chickillo should be nothing more than a camp body...all those guys plus Spillane and Gilbert should make the LB group before Chickillo. He has no rushing moves at all...zero.
    Spillane and Gilbert are ILBers, they're competing against VW, Bush, Barron and Dirty Red for roster spots.

Chickillo is an OLB, his competition for a roster spot are Tuzar Skipper and Sutton Smith as I think Dupree, Watt and Adeniyi are locks.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Spillane and Gilbert are ILBers, they're competing against VW, Bush, Barron and Dirty Red for roster spots.

Chickillo is an OLB, his competition for a roster spot are Tuzar Skipper and Sutton Smith as I think Dupree, Watt and Adeniyi are locks.
    Plus Chickillo does give you veteran experience for only $2M this season. Has he been worse than Skipper or Smith up to this point? I would love to see Chick upgraded but who are the best 4 from this group? I think it's Watt, Dupree, Adeniyi, and Chickillo through the 1st preseason game. Maybe Skipper or Smith can elevate their game enough to replace him. We will see.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Plus Chickillo does give you veteran experience for only $2M this season. Has he been worse than Skipper or Smith up to this point? I would love to see Chick upgraded but who are the best 4 from this group? I think it's Watt, Dupree, Adeniyi, and Chickillo through the 1st preseason game. Maybe Skipper or Smith can elevate their game enough to replace him. We will see.
    If Tupac can do what he did against the reserves against the 1's and 2's -- then I would gladly eat Chickillo's cap $$$ and send him on his way if I was a GM. However, I have a total bias towards younger players. My thought being that as long as they are not going to get you beat, they still have the chance to get better. Older players have already hit their ceiling. Chickillo looks like he has no pass rush plan anymore at this point. He also looks stiff and uncertain when asked to work in space. In the years he has been on the roster, teams have repeatedly victimized him in short area coverages.

I supported the resigning when it happened. There were too many unknowns. If the performances from the first preseason game can be repeated and maybe flashed against increased competition -- then I say eat the money and go with the youngins.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Tupac can do what he did against the reserves against the 1's and 2's -- then I would gladly eat Chickillo's cap $$$ and send him on his way if I was a GM. However, I have a total bias towards younger players. My thought being that as long as they are not going to get you beat, they still have the chance to get better. Older players have already hit their ceiling. Chickillo looks like he has no pass rush plan anymore at this point. He also looks stiff and uncertain when asked to work in space. In the years he has been on the roster, teams have repeatedly victimized him in short area coverages.

I supported the resigning when it happened. There were too many unknowns. If the performances from the first preseason game can be repeated and maybe flashed against increased competition -- then I say eat the money and go with the youngins.
    I am always for the upgrade. The longterm upgrade that is. Whatever that is.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

He looked VERY slow...that one run where he couldn’t turn the corner? He didn’t explode through holes. I was very disappointed.
    Snell wasn't going to "turn the corner" on that DB. I was disappointed that he didn't turn that run upfield when he got outside the OT, as that is his game. Snell had a few 4 and 5 yard runs that looked like who he is, but I would have liked to see more forward lean and a stronger finish to the runs. Some of the early runs, were just a result of porous O line blocking, IMO.

-Gentry showed that he can be a #2 TE in the league I think.

-Washington made a case for being the #2 WR

-Banner looks to have leaned out a bit and could push for the last OT spot, but still has some sloppy moments

-Gilbert III showed the speed and passing game awareness that should earn him a spot on the 53.

Plus Chickillo does give you veteran experience for only $2M this season.
    we just re-signed Chickillo to a 2 year $8 million contract:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...year-contract/

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

we just re-signed Chickillo to a 2 year $8 million contract:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...year-contract/
    Yes but the steelers will save 5 millions if Chickillo is cut after this year

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...ickillo-16938/

He is safe this year,but not for next year.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yes but the steelers will save 5 millions if Chickillo is cut after this year

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...ickillo-16938/

He is safe this year,but not for next year.
    And that is likely the plan. Insurance for this year, but hopefully upgraded for next year. Had to get ILB, CB and WR upgrades before throwing more picks at OLB, but expect that to happen in next year draft.

I was just talking LB group in general.

I was just talking LB group in general.
    I think last year the steelers had only 3 OLBs in their roster to start the season.

Did Devin White play in that game?

Did Devin White play in that game?
    yes but only played more than a series

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...r-devin-white/