Thread: David Harris ?

BurghBoy412

David Harris ?

Depth at ILB is a concern I have with this team in 2017. I was listening to a local radio show in Denver and the host was raving about David Harris. He was released from the Jets today. All I know is he's 32 and a from what they were saying on the radio he's is a very good player. Other than that I know nothing about him. Would he be worth picking up? Would he be an upgrade from Vince Williams?

BurghBoy412

Re: David Harris ?

No love

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He's a two down player.

Don't see them signing him.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He's a two down player.

What do you see Vince as? I don't think it'd be a bad idea to bring him in, but 32 is pretty old and not typically the way the Steelers do things.
    Last edited by RunNGun; 06-07-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Not gonna happen.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Shazier, VW, Red, Fort, and Johnson are all way ahead of him already. I don't think he's an option. Plus, Moats CAN play situation in/out. I agree depth at ILB is scary, I just don't see bringing in someone now. In case of injury, yes.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    What do you see Vince as? I don't think it'd be a bad idea to bring him in, but 32 is pretty old and not typically the way the Steelers do things.

Vince is going to surprise a lot of fans.

BurghBoy412

Vince is going to surprise a lot of fans.
    They always seem to find a new LB. History bodes well for not making a move and sticking with who's already in house.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    They always seem to find a new LB. History bodes well for not making a move and sticking with who's already in house.
    VW has always been productive when placed in the starting lineup.

Week 4 against KC, he was everywhere. 14 total tackles, 1 sack, also played great the next week against the Jets.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

VW has always been productive when placed in the starting lineup.

Week 4 against KC, he was everywhere. 14 total tackles, 1 sack, also played great the next week against the Jets.
    Yep

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...lers-v-chiefs/

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I'm not sure where all this trepidation over VW is coming from. Every time he has had an opportunity in the starting line-up he's performed very well. As other have said, there are going to be a lot of surprised fans this fall.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Shazier, VW, Red, Fort, and Johnson are all way ahead of him already. I don't think he's an option. Plus, Moats CAN play situation in/out. I agree depth at ILB is scary, I just don't see bringing in someone now. In case of injury, yes.
    Other than Shazier, there's no fear in that line up. Something needs to be added. Not saying Harris is the answer but I don't think any of those guys are either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Other than Shazier, there's no fear in that line up. Something needs to be added. Not saying Harris is the answer but I don't think any of those guys are either.
    I agree. There were some options in FA, plus a couple we passed over in the draft. But I don't get paid to build this team, so I just let the ones that do, do.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

It seems that most think Vince is too slow to be a 3 down Linebacker and not good in coverage. He may or may not be good in coverage, but I don't believe he is too slow. I don't remember the particular game last year, but there was a play where the other team had a player who broke free and was running down the field, and I swear Vince was blazing by the other Steelers defenders running down the field and ended up making the tackle. He looked super fast on that play. Maybe he had just come in the game on that series and was fresh, and although I don't remember the details, I do remember being impressed and thinking Vince is a lot faster then I thought. Even the game announcers were pointing out how fast he was in getting down the field.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I am a big fan of VW. I too, loved what he did with his opportunities last year. I was just curious about what you thought he brought to the table. I think he will step in just fine for Timmons. May even be an upgrade. I do think he lacks in pass coverage a little bit, so maybe they do take him off the field on third down passing situations. It will be interesting to see what they do with their personnel this year.

VW will be fine. Even so, the loss of Timmons will be felt. It's not an either/or thing. It's mostly about depth at ILB overall. Nobody makes it through a season unscathed.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

VW can likely equal Timmons of the past few seasons but wasn't that being talked about as a weakness?

The bigger concern is depth. Two twisted ankles away from matekavich and LJ Fort starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    VW can likely equal Timmons of the past few seasons but wasn't that being talked about as a weakness?

The bigger concern is depth. Two twisted ankles away from matekavich and LJ Fort starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Adding Harris solves the depth problem IMO. He is 32 so sign him for short term with money up front. I've heard only positives about Harris. Great character, durable, 90 plus tackle guy.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He's a two down player.

And 32 years old and no James Harrison.
    All Defense!

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    And 32 years old and no James Harrison.
    A guy that's played Tom Brady twice a year for the past 10 years would be another reason to sign.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

VW has impressed whenever given the chance. I think he can do well as a starter

BurghBoy412

This thread was not a slight on VW. He's ready we can all see that. I feel strongly that this team is very close to another title. I would hate to see a starter in the middle go down and that injury ruining a good thing. This is a game of attrition and sometimes the "next man up" approach doesn't always work. I would sure like to see this team add a Vet in the middle. CYA is all I'm saying here.

Harris would most likely have too high a price tag. I wish they would at least investigate the scenario. IMO it would be wise to bring in a guy who's played against "The Tom" twice a year for 10 seasons and pick his brain. However wishful thinking is one of my better traits.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Rather than Harris, I would rather the team bring in a guy like Feeney - assuming his injury release from the Saints isn't serious.

Harris is where 3-4 ILB used to be. Feeney is the direction it is going in.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I want to see what Vince can do as a starter. I think he'll do well.

Harris would be a definite depth upgrade over Fort, Matakevich, or Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Rather than Harris, I would rather the team bring in a guy like Feeney - assuming his injury release from the Saints isn't serious.

Harris is where 3-4 ILB used to be. Feeney is the direction it is going in.
    I think you're right about the direction of the league related to ILBs. A lot of teams are going the hybrid way. Feeney fits that mold, but IMO, they would have done their best to keep him around last year if they thought he had potential. With all that being said, I'd still prefer Feeney over Harris.

BurghBoy412

Signed a 2 year deal with New England.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Signed a 2 year deal with New England.
    Yep

They just got deeper.