Thread: David DeCastro can ‘feel’ changes in Steelers’ locker-room atmosphere

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

David DeCastro can ‘feel’ changes in Steelers’ locker-room atmosphere

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: David DeCastro can ‘feel’ changes in Steelers’ locker-room atmosphere

I don't get the thread topic. It says DeCastro missed OTAs due to his child's birth, yet he can "feel changes in the locker-room atmosphere". I'm glad the 'culture change' is in full bloom in Steeler-Town but what does this even mean?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't get the thread topic. It says DeCastro missed OTAs due to his child's birth, yet he can "feel changes in the locker-room atmosphere". I'm glad the 'culture change' is in full bloom in Steeler-Town but what does this even mean?
    I read it as “we got rid of two totally egotistical and selfish players who undermined the team...the locker room atmosphere is better because they’re no longer here.”

He’s probably the brightest Steeler. He didn’t have to be present at OTA’s to know the culture has improved.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I read it as “we got rid of two totally egotistical and selfish players who undermined the team...the locker room atmosphere is better because they’re no longer here.”

He’s probably the brightest Steeler. He didn’t have to be present at OTA’s to know the culture has improved.
    That's probably it in a nutshell.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Wait a minute... I thought drama distractions were something we created in our minds here at SU???

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Stanford routinely doesn’t carry a full roster (because they can’t get enough players to meet their rigorous academic standards).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess I better book my superbowl tickets.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Stanford routinely doesn’t carry a full roster (because they can’t get enough players to meet their rigorous academic standards).
    What exactly constitutes a full roster in college? Their 2018 Football team had 102 players listed on their official site. https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?r...&path=football Maybe 2018 they lowered their standards, or found a lot of guys that met them.

On topic, I think DeCastro can feel the changes without being in the locker room, as he acquired some telekinetic powers from Dr. Xavier at Stanford, while on a summer internship at Google.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    What exactly constitutes a full roster in college? Their 2018 Football team had 102 players listed on their official site. https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?r...&path=football Maybe 2018 they lowered their standards, or found a lot of guys that met them.
    A few years ago, they had something like 72 players. So, yes, they probably relaxed their requirements (much like Norte Dane has to do a few years back).

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers dysfunction has been going on for longer than we remembered. This isn't some isolated thing.

Check out this NFL.com article from February 2013.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...unctional-ways

Combined with Bell and Bryant getting busted for weed several times after 2014 and 2015 and serving suspensions, this has been going on for years, and we didn't notice it or we did and we just blew it off because Steelers, but the cracks were there all along. 2017-18 is just the spark that set the whole thing ablaze.

We shouldn't be shocked by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Steelers dysfunction has been going on for longer than we remembered. This isn't some isolated thing.

Check out this NFL.com article from February 2013.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...unctional-ways

This has been going on for years, and we didn't notice it. 2017-18 is just the spark that set the whole thing off.
    I remember this article

The loss of leaders like Hines Ward, James Farrior, etc have hurt the steelers.

But many young players like JuJu and Watt want to be leaders,so I have hope that the steelers will be much better off the field with less drama ... We will see if it will be the case, but I have hope that it will be much better.

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Wait a minute... I thought drama distractions were something we created in our minds here at SU???

yup. i was told we didnt have anymore distractions than any other team in the league
    i also thought i heard/read that tomlin did a great job of controlling the locker room and players...........eh, maybe i dreamt that.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    yup. i was told we didnt have anymore distractions than any other team in the league
    i also thought i heard/read that tomlin did a great job of controlling the locker room and players...........eh, maybe i dreamt that.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

lol.........i love it when the lemmings get put in their place
    it must kill you that the steelers players are telling you same stuff as us 'non real' fans did while it was actually happening

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

it must kill you that the steelers players are telling you same stuff as us 'non real' fans did while it was actually happening
    actually, it doesn't bother me at all.

it's called reality, every NFL team has problems to some degree. I accept the good and the bad, and I am far from a cheerleader who wears his black & gold sunglasses and approves of everything the team does. I love my Steelers, but am not afraid to call out the front office, coaches or players. my problem with posters like you is that you have no balance whatsoever, virtually every post of yours is a negative one. you're a one trick pony, and your schtick has already gotten old. don't you ever have anything good to say?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    actually, it doesn't bother me at all.

it's called reality, every NFL team has problems to some degree. I accept the good and the bad, and I am far from a cheerleader who wears his black & gold sunglasses and approves of everything the team does. I love my Steelers, but am not afraid to call out the front office, coaches or players. my problem with posters like you is that you have no balance whatsoever, virtually every post of yours is a negative one. you're a one trick pony, and your schtick has already gotten old. don't you ever have anything good to say?
    Reminds me of StillMill where he still seems pissed off and gives the team a C- rating after winning the super bowl lol

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

A few years ago, they had something like 72 players. So, yes, they probably relaxed their requirements (much like Norte Dane has to do a few years back).
    Of course requirements are relaxed

Duke University is a highly selective school but Coach K never seems to have a problem getting his top one and done recruits admitted

Every school, even the holier than thou Ivy League, plays that game

Bribery scandal points to the athletic factor: A major force in college admissions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ec0_story.html

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

lol.........i love it when the lemmings get put in their place

"Put in their place"...……..really?

You only have negative takes on everything. You never give credit to Tomlin or anything he has done, and you have nothing positive to say......ever. By doing that, it discredits your arguments on the subject. If you aren't able to be objective and only see the negative side of everything, you aren't truly understanding the subject you are discussing.

Hawaiiansteeler sees and acknowledges positive things, but is also able to criticize what he disagrees with. He has been critical of Tomlin and on other aspects of the team and decisions they make that he doesn't agree with. That's what a true evaluation of things really involves. Just because he doesn't agree with you on everything doesn't make him a lemming.

The poster who you quoted above, DesertSteel, is someone who criticizes what he disagrees with....but he also acknowledges the other side of arguments. That's why he is a respected member here.

The most ironic thing of all is that you are the lemming. You only buy into the negative talk that is out there, and only see and acknowledge that negative side and come at the argument from that standpoint.

You are the lemming blindly following what you are being fed on all things negative.....you just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Duke University is a highly selective school but Coach K never seems to have a problem getting his top one and done recruits admitted

Bribery scandal points to the athletic factor: A major force in college admissions
    About ten years ago, there was an article in SI discussing how Stanford was their top-rated college in the USA... because, despite their high academic standards, they still were able to field competitive athletic teams.

Harvard has better academics. Alabama has better athletics. But, Stanford was able to put itself into the upper echelon in both (which is very difficult to do).

My point being... Stanford grads are smart people. Ergo, when someone said that they felt that DeCastro is the “brightest” Steeler, my intention was to piggyback on that statement.

A good example was local San Diego (Helix High School) running back Reggie Bush. Everyone around town knew that he wanted to play at Stanford. (And, at that time, he was highly coveted by many colleges.) Yet, Bush couldn’t get past Stanford’s admissions department.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ec0_story.html

College 1 and done's only have to make grades for one semester. They actually can even get away with a few incomplete's. So it's nothing like football where a player has to keep his grades up to standards for over two full years of school.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    ...it's nothing like football where a player has to keep his grades up to standards for over two full years of school.
    Probably depends upon whether the player is a walk-on or a blue chip prospect...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    College 1 and done's only have to make grades for one semester. They actually can even get away with a few incomplete's. So it's nothing like football where a player has to keep his grades up to standards for over two full years of school.
    With tutors, course selection and fan boy professors eligibility usually can be handled once an athlete in a revenue sport is admitted

My point was gaming the admissions process to get an athlete in who would not make it under standard practices is common most everywhere

I am not saying the system is prostituted to the extent it has been at UNC (the University of No Classes) or SEC schools, but Stanford plays this game too as evidenced by the admissions scandals/indictments including admissions under the guise of being a future part of the sailing (LOL - talk about fitting the image of an elitist institution) team at Stanford

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...507038591.html