Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T.J. Shows Steelers Watt He Can Do In 2-Sack, 1-INT Debut

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: T.J. Shows Steelers Watt He Can Do In 2-Sack, 1-INT Debut

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )
    What will TJ Watt have to do, in order for you to stop comparing him to Jarvis Jones?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )
    Why can't you just let the guy just develop instead of comparing him to Jarvis at every turn. The kid has done nothing but bust his ass since day one, how about giving credit where credit is due for a change. We don't compare you to Archie Bunker, even though I think we should sometimes. You just always seem so damn grumpy, do you even enjoy Steelers Football?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    We don't compare you to Archie Bunker, even though I think we should sometimes.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Why can't you just let the guy just develop instead of comparing him to Jarvis at every turn. The kid has done nothing but bust his ass since day one, how about giving credit where credit is due for a change. We don't compare you to Archie Bunker, even though I think we should sometimes. You just always seem so damn grumpy, do you even enjoy Steelers Football?
    No doubt!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

But, but, but, it was the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    When TJ ends up with 15 sacks, there will be several posters who find a way to minimize each one throughout the season. Does anybody remember how long it's been since a Steeler put up double-digit sacks?
    All I want to see is him create his opportunity for sacks vs. capitalizing on what he's been given. I'm happy for the latter and seeing that he can do so as a rookie means the game already isn't too big for him. The former, however, is where the separation happens. As I kept saying, i was worried when we drafted him because I didn't see the former in his game based on speed and strength. And, also like I keep saying, he's shown speed of late, which makes me very happy. Now, i'm just waiting for strength so he doesn't get swallowed up by OTs. Until he can do that consistently, he'll be compared to Jarvis Jones because that was Jones's biggest problem. OTs swallowed him up.

Do I think Watt will end his career as another Jones? Nope. Not at all. His motor and his work ethic makes me very hopeful he'll spend a lot of off-season in the weight room putting size on his frame.

As for one sack equaling another . . . in stats, sure. In ending a down, sure. In exposing a player's ability? Not at all. None of us would be happy with signing a RB that ran through a five foot hole on every touch and gained 10 yards, if he averages -3 yards whenever a five foot hole does not appear. We'd rather have the player that creates a 4 yard run through traffic, because that player can also get 10 yards through a five-foot hole.

In other words, I'm not looking at game-effect, I'm looking at player development and future ability.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    What will TJ Watt have to do, in order for you to stop comparing him to Jarvis Jones?
    Where in my post was I comparing Watt to Jones?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It's like a cross-fit/tough mudder fan. Or a vegan. Or someone who is gluten free. They manage to work that into every conversation.

"Hey, did you see the game on Sunday? That new first round pick at OLB was great! So excited to see what Watt can do next week."

"Yeah. I really hope he earns it and just isn't handed his spot each week based on draft position like Jarvis Jones was."

"Cool. Cool. Man, it sure was amazing to see the furious power of nature these past couple of weeks with Harvey and Irma. Almost unbelievable."

"You know what was unbelievable? How little weights Jarvis Jones listed. Its amazing that no one else is a furious about Jarvis Jones. But, yeah...hurricanes are rough."

Where in any of my posts have I discredited Watt? Did I not name him one of the heroes of the game? Your problem is you are overly sensitive.

Also, in the post you are referring to I didn't compare Watt to Jones. In an earlier post my reference to Jones would apply to any Steeler who receives a starting job based on anything other than play on the field.

Feel free to compare me to Bunker all you want. I will compare you to Frank Burns from MASH. Sound good?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It's like a cross-fit/tough mudder fan. Or a vegan. Or someone who is gluten free. They manage to work that into every conversation.

"Hey, did you see the game on Sunday? That new first round pick at OLB was great! So excited to see what Watt can do next week."

"Yeah. I really hope he earns it and just isn't handed his spot each week based on draft position like Jarvis Jones was."

"Cool. Cool. Man, it sure was amazing to see the furious power of nature these past couple of weeks with Harvey and Irma. Almost unbelievable."

"You know what was unbelievable? How little weights Jarvis Jones listed. Its amazing that no one else is a furious about Jarvis Jones. But, yeah...hurricanes are rough."

There ya go. Page one of this very thread. I didn't even have to looking for more than 30 seconds. Look I understand your heartburn over Mr. Jones and the fact it didn't work out with him, but you really need to let it go. The Front office knows what they are doing and hit on players more than they miss. If they didn't we wouldn't be contenders for championships nearly every year.

There ya go. Page one of this very thread. I didn't even have to looking for more than 30 seconds. Look I understand your heartburn over Mr. Jones and the fact it didn't work out with him, but you really need to let it go. The Front office knows what they are doing and hit on players more than they miss. If they didn't we wouldn't be contenders for championships nearly every year.
    I see it. Where am I referencing Watt? My reply was to someone talking about sacks and how some are earned more easily than others. I don't recall Watt getting an unblocked sack in the game. Also, the Steelers didn't draft Watt solely based on sacks. My reply was based on Gildon and his dong sacks. People thought he was great, but he was really just an average LB who benefitted from the scheme and players around him.

As for Watt, he had a good game. Hopefully it will continue. I won't crown him bad, average, good or great after one game.
    No heartburn at all over Jones. I fully expected him to do nothing in Pitt and then let go. I doubt he stays very long with the Cards.
    Hater = Realist

Where in my post was I comparing Watt to Jones?
    1) You've alluded to it. You've made analogies and/or allegories about it. Maybe you've never "literally" stated it, but you have constructed enough of the Venn diagram that at least five other people (in this thread alone) commented on it.

2) I wasn't being rhetorical. I'm really interested in what Watt can do to make you stop "alluding" to Jarvis Jones.

3) Moo

1) You've alluded to it. You've made analogies and/or allegories about it. Maybe you've never "literally" stated it, but you have constructed enough of the Venn diagram that at least five other people (in this thread alone) commented on it.

2) I wasn't being rhetorical. I'm really interested in what Watt can do to make you stop "alluding" to Jarvis Jones.

3) Moo
    1. I wasn't alluding to it either. You are obsessed with Jones and Watt being compared. Dog piling and trolling seem to be your forte.

2. No idea what you are going on about.
    Hater = Realist

1. I wasn't alluding to it either. You are obsessed with Jones and Watt being compared. Dog piling and trolling seem to be your forte.

2. No idea what you are going on about.
    1) Dog piling? I was the first (but, obviously not the last) to mention it.
    Trolling? If that isn't the pot calling the banana black.

2) Are my words too big for you to comprehend?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

*Sorry but I have to spam some tweets of Watt going against Joe Thomas*

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He's doing that against an all-pro tackle in his first game.............. put another quarter in the hype machine.

I honestly want to thank the Cowboys and Packers(two teams I thought for sure would take him) for passing up Watt.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I'm not sure how I missed this yesterday, but this made my day! I laughed my ass off.

So, so true!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    *Sorry but I have to spam some tweets of Watt going against Joe Thomas*

In the first and 3rd frames, you see that left hand of Watt come up and get the hands of Thomas off him and he keeps moving around the arc. That hand use along with the quickness is what makes him so dangerous.

Watch Thomas' kick slide and he keeps his shoulders square to the LOS until Watt is level with his shoulders...then he turns(which is textbook technique) to then punch, but Watt knocks his hand down and Thomas leans forward and loses him.

If Watt is slower, then JT can stay balanced and regroup for a 2nd punch. If Watt doesn't time his swat, then Thomas gets a solid punch and rides Watt out the back of the pocket. But the speed of Watt makes Thomas get his "nose over his toes" too much and the swat of the left hand makes Thomas almost faceplant. That move there sets up the counter move, which right now is a clumsy spin. But that will improve.

The key as a pass rusher is to have a goto move, then a counter move. We can see TJ has the goto(speed rush) and will soon have a great counter. Kid is gonna be fun to watch for a while.

1) Dog piling? I was the first (but, obviously not the last) to mention it.
    Trolling? If that isn't the pot calling the banana black.

2) Are my words too big for you to comprehend?
    More trolling. Are you getting back into your Steelers Fever form? Maybe you can get the clique of trolls back that infected that site.

You seem to think trolling is having a differing opinion on football. Here is what I tell all of the people who obsesses, whine and fret over my meaningless posts; just block me and you won't get all worked up.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He's doing that against an all-pro tackle in his first game.............. put another quarter in the hype machine.
    I hate the hype machine. That is for guys with no substance, like the sandwich artist the Steelers formerly drafted. Can put away the smoke and mirrors of the hype machine, as the kid has legit skills.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

TJ seems like the real deal to me!

More trolling. Are you getting back into your Steelers Fever form? Maybe you can get the clique of trolls back that infected that site.

You seem to think trolling is having a differing opinion on football. Here is what I tell all of the people who obsesses, whine and fret over my meaningless posts; just block me and you won't get all worked up.
    Question for you.

Do you think Watt deserves to be a starter right now?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Question for you.

Do you think Watt deserves to be a starter right now?
    Yes.

Now if Watt struggles greatly for the next 8 games should the Steelers think about starting Harrison or at the very least increase his snap count?
    Hater = Realist

Yes.

Now if Watt struggles greatly for the next 8 games should the Steelers think about starting Harrison or at the very least increase his snap count?

absolutely

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

He deserves it. Good for him. Even better for us!