Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for the QB competition!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Thread for the QB competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Arm strength , anticipation , smart ,and semi athletic ...if you give me those 4 traits then you can run most any system in football successfully .... hmmm we passed on a couple guys like this last draft
    You can have all four of those in spades and still be a shitty NFL quarterback if you're rattled by the caliber of the pro game. Some guys lock up, some guys get happy feet, some guys force throws, some guys get tunnel vision - all the QB equivalent of button mashing. Problem is, as far as I know, no one's ever come up with a way to figure that out, other than putting them in live games.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

^Bradshaw figured it out after four years (40 TD to 83 INT's, 69-73). Many don't; such as Kirk Cousins, maybe Trubisky (?). I think hitting the film room, working harder at practice and some good coaching can get a struggling QB over the hump.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Rudolph is still looking like the most consistent, but that Mason Rudolph hate boner is a huge hump to overcome

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    ^Bradshaw figured it out after four years (40 TD to 83 INT's, 69-73). Many don't; such as Kirk Cousins, maybe Trubisky (?). I think hitting the film room, working harder at practice and some good coaching can get a struggling QB over the hump.
    Different game than it was in the 1970s

The adjustment between the NFL and the NCAA is much easier since 10-15 years than it was before

Kirk Cousins is an average QB at best.....Too many checkdowns, even in a 2 minute hurry up offense or in a 3rd down and 8.This is good for the QB rating,but not for your team and offense

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Rudolph is still looking like the most consistent, but that Mason Rudolph hate boner is a huge hump to overcome
    It's P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E.

Not a game... not a game.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E.

Not a game... not a game.
    How you practice is how you play, usually. Someone ain't getting a chance to start a game unless they show something in practice

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

How you practice is how you play, usually. Someone ain't getting a chance to start a game unless they show something in practice
    Rudolph already has a resume in a Steelers uniform. It ain't about how he practices at this point.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Kirk Cousins isn’t a terrible QB. I’d take a Kirk Cousins right now over Trubisky.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Kirk Cousins isn’t a terrible QB. I’d take a Kirk Cousins right now over Trubisky.
    Maybe at Trubisky's salary (he's nowhere near worth the 40 mill he's getting in Minny).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Different game than it was in the 1970s

The adjustment between the NFL and the NCAA is much easier since 10-15 years than it was before

Kirk Cousins is an average QB at best.....Too many checkdowns, even in a 2 minute hurry up offense or in a 3rd down and 8.This is good for the QB rating,but not for your team and offense
    agreed, guys like him do use that too much, they're not confident going beyond that. But that's how he makes the money he makes. The mental aspect remains the same since the 70's, even with all the physical tools and work they seemingly put in some QB's still choke in pressure moments. Cousins get's paid like he's figured it all out - he really hasn't.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Maybe at Trubisky's salary (he's nowhere near worth the 40 mill he's getting in Minny).

- - - Updated - - -

agreed, guys like him do use that too much, they're not confident going beyond that. But that's how he makes the money he makes. The mental aspect remains the same since the 70's, even with all the physical tools and work they seemingly put in some QB's still choke in pressure moments. Cousins get's paid like he's figured it all out - he really hasn't.
    I’m not talking about talent versus salary. All things being equal, he’s not terrible and better than Trubisky. Easily above average.

I’m not talking about talent versus salary. All things being equal, he’s not terrible and better than Trubisky. Easily above average.
    i was saying he might be preferable over Trubisky at Trubisky's salary. But then again, we haven't seen what Mitch can do outside of a bad situation in Chicago. Cousins has been the same average - game manager type since Washington.

You should ask Vikings fans what they think of Kirk.

i was saying he might be preferable over Trubisky at Trubisky's salary. But then again, we haven't seen what Mitch can do outside of a bad situation in Chicago. Cousins has been the same average - game manager type since Washington.

You should ask Vikings fans what they think of Kirk.
    But when you look at Cousins grades versus how other QBs play, he’s surprisingly good.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The nicest turd in the punchbowl is still a turd.

But when you look at Cousins grades versus how other QBs play, he’s surprisingly good.
    the Vikings have had one of the best defenses, good weapons on offense yet they’ve had very little to no postseason success in the Kirk era. He’s not a big moment QB. We would be a 500 team with a QB like that. Look up their records - specially postseason.

The Vikings suck. It’s not just Kirk Cousins. He’s not All-Pro but he’s top 15. The Vikings have sucked for years, with very few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The Vikings suck. It’s not just Kirk Cousins. He’s not All-Pro but he’s top 15. The Vikings have sucked for years, with very few exceptions.
    Well Vikings D was top 10 as recently as 2020. and there have been perennial pro bowl weapons on offense (Cook, Thielen).

aside from Cousin's playoff record, look up his career record against winning teams, its pretty bad (something like 12-40), and his career Monday Night football record (i think its 1-9).

Basically I'm not sure there is much of a difference between Cousins and Trubisky (what we've seen of Trubisky so far), except cost.

Cousins is what I'd call a good but not elite QB

Thread for the QB competition!

Well Vikings D was top 10 as recently as 2020. and there have been perennial pro bowl weapons on offense (Cook, Thielen).

aside from Cousin's playoff record, look up his career record against winning teams, its pretty bad (something like 12-40), and his career Monday Night football record (i think its 1-9).

Basically I'm not sure there is much of a difference between Cousins and Trubisky (what we've seen of Trubisky so far), except cost.
    PFF has him graded high every year. Take PFF for what it’s worth but you can’t knock them for not grading players consistently across the board. This is what he’s been graded the past few years:

2021: 88.2 – 6th
    2020: 83.4 – 11th
    2019: 84.2 – 6th
    2018: 79.3 – 15th

Last year he was graded hire than Mahomes. Is he better than Mahomes? No. But you can’t say he’s no better than Trubisky and he’s a guy that is consistently a Top-15 performer. If the Steelers had Cousins last season, they maybe win a playoff game or two. If they had a Cousins type talent on the Super Bowl XXX team, they probably beat the Cowboys.

Cousins has had some good weapons, yes. What he hasn’t had and what the vikings fails at year after year is producing an offensive line. That hurts the teams chances at winning big games. What recent Super Bowl teams haven’t had a good O-Line?

Cousins is also the QB with the 7th highest QB-rating in the history of the game. That accounts for something. Again, doesn’t mean he’s the best ever but it’s a consistency that is there and the same cannot be said for a lot of guys in the league. Check his situational passer ratings for last year, all relatively high compared to his peers at QB.

He wouldn’t be my first pick for QB but he wouldnt be a bad choice to insert on this team and is definitely far and away a better QB than Trubisky.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I seriously can not believe how many people dont understand the level of fool's gold that Cousins represents. Maybe I get to see it more because I live in NFC North country. Don't know.

He's the Jeff Fisher of QBs.

If you want to hang around your division race and lose in the Wildcard round of the playoffs, hes your guy.

Want to win games that matter against good teams? Not your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I seriously can not believe how many people dont understand the level of fool's gold that Cousins represents. Maybe I get to see it more because I live in NFC North country. Don't know.

If you want to hang around your division race and lose in the Wildcard round of the playoffs, hes your guy.

If you want a quick checkdown on a 3rd down and 8 for 5 yards and the team have to punt after that,Cousins is your guy too!

Still better that Trubisky but the standard is not high!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

How our own defense plays against Rudolph in practice is not how other teams play defense against him in a game.

We are just working on defense, not trying to mess up Rudolph specifically. Other teams have figured out the formula to completely shut him down, and that is what Rudolph will face in a game. That is why he looks better in practice.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I'm just ready for the games to begin and see how Pickett improves over time (or not). In our media-driven world with daily updates from team practices, it seems like reporters and some fans as well are quick to draw conclusions on a QB based on how he looked over just a few throws during a stretch in practice. I read one day that Pickett is struggling and not ready to even play in pre-season games, and then the next day that he looks tremendously improved and is making throws into tight windows, only to be followed up the next day with Pickett throws two interceptions and looks lost. The same type of things are being written about Trubisky as well and the narrative seems to sway based on each practice throw made.

I have no idea how the QB situation plays out over the course of the season, but I will at least give the QBs (and in particular Kenny) time to put together a body of work before drawing conclusions on their ability to lead the Steelers at the QB position.

If Pickett has a similar career that Joe Flacco in the first 7 years (like being up and down but he can step up in big moment) would you be happy?

This is maybe the best case scenario

Still better than Trubisky

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Cousins' game is a lot like O'Donnell's.

O'Donnell won a pro bowl QB accuracy competition. But not a Super Bowl.

Still better than Trubisky
    That's damning with faint praise.

There's probably dudes playing for high schools that are better than Trubisky.

If you want a quick checkdown on a 3rd down and 8 for 5 yards and the team have to punt after that,Cousins is your guy too!

Still better that Trubisky but the standard is not high!
    Cousins passer rating is pretty damn good on third downs.

That's damning with faint praise.

There's probably dudes playing for high schools that are better than Trubisky.
    I mean you look at all Cousins stats and he’s easily Top-15 QB. Trubisky is no where near that and if the Steelers had a Top-15 guy last year or year before, they may have won a playoff game or two…maybe the division last year. Cousins and Trubisky really aren’t comparable.

Only 5 QBs in the league have an above .500 record against winning teams. According to his passer ratings, he couldn’t have played that poorly to the point that he was the sole reason they lost games.

Cousins passer rating is pretty damn good on third downs.
    A checkdown is good on 3rd down for the passing rating but not for the team.The vikings were 26th on 3rd down in 2021

Thread for the QB competition!

A checkdown is good on 3rd down for the passing rating but not for the team.The vikings were 26th on 3rd down in 2021
    That’s not all on Cousins though. His o-lines have been historically bad and we don’t know that that is actually the case. The guy isn’t great but he’s not nearly as horrible as people try to make him out to be.