Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for the QB competition!

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: Thread for the QB competition!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Hope Kenny wins that job before week 1. I'll try to be open minded about Trubisky and Rudolph, but I can't say I'd really be excited about watching either play
    Rudolph zero excitement, Trubisky only way is if he lights it up in games and shows huge improvement as well as better decision making. That’s a pipe dream tho IMO. I’ll say it once more, if the competition is close and Pickett doesn’t have deer in headlights look on game day he starts. If Pickett doesn’t start My excitement level drops big time.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Rudolph zero excitement, Trubisky only way is if he lights it up in games and shows huge improvement as well as better decision making. That’s a pipe dream tho IMO. I’ll say it once more, if the competition is close and Pickett doesn’t have deer in headlights look on game day he starts. If Pickett doesn’t start My excitement level drops big time.
    Pretty much how I feel 100%

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

My expectation is that at one point Pitckett will play this year but just not at the start...I would be surprised if this is not Mitch,no matter what in week 1.But I think in week 7,after the game against the bills and the bucs,Pitckett will be the starter against Miami on SNF or against the eagles in week 8

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I welcome you each and every one to the dark side.

There’s plenty of room aboard the Trubisky train wreck.

It’s like a hype train but far more depressing.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

His days were numbered from the very second Pickett was drafted. Tik tok.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Thread for the QB competition!

Let’s hope that Pickett just plays far and away above Trubisky and Rudolph so we don’t have to find out..,

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I have an idea, let's allow Trubisky to play quarterback up to the red zone, and then put in Pickett inside the 20. That'd be a great plan! Oh . . . Wait . . . .
    Slow down there, Buddy Ryan!!

Member Array title="Pastrami will become famous soon enough"> Pastrami's Avatar

It not if but when Kenny will be the starter. Certainly, things can come into play but he is destined to lead us sooner than later.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Apparently Pickett threw a couple more picks today. I'm hoping he's not cursed with a name like his (like Artie Burns as a CB).

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Apparently Pickett threw a couple more picks today. I'm hoping he's not cursed with a name like his (like Artie Burns as a CB).
    According to the depot, Trubisky by far was the best QB today. It seems he's the most consistent right now. Rudolph has been playing good but it's obvious Tomlin wants mobility at QB which pretty much damns Rudolph to the bench unless he somehow starts throwing 4+ TD's every day

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I think you mean Bill Cowher?
    Ahhhh. I forgot about that!

I was thinking of Jaws and Cunningham.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

It's going to be a long season on offense this year ...

I really hope this an internal/external difference here.

If the coaching staff truly believes that Trubisky is an NFL starter, then they’re screwed.

Because not only is that a poor evaluation, it means they’ve no business drafting and developing Pickett.

Hopefully they’re just saying this nonsense because it’s part of the coaching cliche songbook.

If the coaching staff truly believes that Trubisky is an NFL starter, then they’re screwed.

Because not only is that a poor evaluation, it means they’ve no business drafting and developing Pickett.

Hopefully they’re just saying this nonsense because it’s part of the coaching cliche songbook.
    Mason Rudolph also had a R1 grade.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Mason Rudolph also had a R1 grade.
    Yeah. And I have previously strongly argued that was public facing nonsense in the face of far different/private internal evals.

But I have had it up to here with the daily reports of how Trubisky is gonna be good and is whatever nonsense quotes seem to make it out into the ether. Meanwhile guys like Kozora who don't have a horse in the race, seem to be reporting a far different tale.

It really doesn't matter because shortly there will be game tape to off-set whatever anyone wants to say.

Until shown evidence to the contrary, I just have no faith in the current Steelers decision makers to make QB evals. They just seem to be looking for the wrong things.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Yeah. And I have previously strongly argued that was public facing nonsense in the face of far different/private internal evals.

But I have had it up to here with the daily reports of how Trubisky is gonna be good and is whatever nonsense quotes seem to make it out into the ether. Meanwhile guys like Kozora who don't have a horse in the race, seem to be reporting a far different tale.

It really doesn't matter because shortly there will be game tape to off-set whatever anyone wants to say.

Until shown evidence to the contrary, I just have no faith in the current Steelers decision makers to make QB evals. They just seem to be looking for the wrong things.

I second the bold ............... every draft eligible QB available at selection 20 and you select Pickett ???

word out of other camps is a few of these QBs are impressing ..Howell and Ridder both have been impressive , even the Raw Willis has been reported to have made a lot of progress and will likely be the #2 .... Pickett of the 4 while he could win the #2 job has the least amount of positive press and had the most draft capital spent on him ( by a lot )

sure its early but early results do not look all that promising ... remember it took Pickett 5 years to impress in College if he takes the same route to success in the NFL he will be closing in on 30 ( ok exaggeration 29 but still)
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Preseason will be a better indicator than practice. And we will all be able to make our own evaluations. I can't wait for Saturday night.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think this entire QB situation proves that drafting a QB every draft or every other draft is a completely valid approach. Even if KP wins the starter job and immediately takes us to the playoffs, drafting the next great QB should be part of the plan heading into draft season.

I could very much be on board with drafting a QB every draft.

That leads me to my next point...what should a team be looking for in a QB prospect?

I think it starts and ends with traits. I don't think experience matters. I don't think not being raw matters. I think having one or more traits that project as "holy smokes...look what that dude can freaking do!" is all that matters when trying to find that "elite" QB that can elevate a team out of the "Cousins-Grappolo-Tannehill-Goff" zone of kinda good and kinda not good enough.

But...I'm just some guy that listens to football podcasts, reads random stuff on the internet, and loudly voices his opinion. No idea if I am really right....but I think Pickett is just the total opposite of what I would be looking for in the very model of a modern major field general....

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I could very much be on board with drafting a QB every draft.

That leads me to my next point...what should a team be looking for in a QB prospect?

I think it starts and ends with traits. I don't think experience matters. I don't think not being raw matters. I think having one or more traits that project as "holy smokes...look what that dude can freaking do!" is all that matters when trying to find that "elite" QB that can elevate a team out of the "Cousins-Grappolo-Tannehill-Goff" zone of kinda good and kinda not good enough.

But...I'm just some guy that listens to football podcasts, reads random stuff on the internet, and loudly voices his opinion. No idea if I am really right....but I think Pickett is just the total opposite of what I would be looking for in the very model of a modern major field general....
    We all have preferences when choosing a QB. It’s still a crapshoot. Josh Allen could’ve easily turned into Josh Rosen, or a Blake Bortles. Not sure why you think say Grappolo or Goff not good enough. Is Matt Ryan in that category? I’m assuming not but really should be on your grading scale. All three have been to playoffs multiple times, with SB losses. Pickett obviously not your preference but whether he pans out or not I think he was the right pick. Other guys were bigger long shots IMO and we need QB pronto. I’ve got no problem drafting another QB in a couple of years if he is not the guy. It’s a dynamic situation and most don’t pan out. Belicheat drafted 9-10 QBs while Brady was the QB. I personally don’t like short QBs or ones with no mobility.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This comment is almost like you just became a Steelers fan yesterday. Look at the QB history…this would fit right in line with that. Team that thought Mike Vick was a good idea, Mason Rudolph is Rd 1 talent, Let’s roll out Duck Hodges, etc. Trubisky as starter and Pickett not being round one talent is right in line with the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Be ready

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    We all have preferences when choosing a QB. It’s still a crapshoot. Josh Allen could’ve easily turned into Josh Rosen, or a Blake Bortles. Not sure why you think say Grappolo or Goff not good enough. Is Matt Ryan in that category? I’m assuming not but really should be on your grading scale. All three have been to playoffs multiple times, with SB losses. Pickett obviously not your preference but whether he pans out or not I think he was the right pick. Other guys were bigger long shots IMO and we need QB pronto. I’ve got no problem drafting another QB in a couple of years if he is not the guy. It’s a dynamic situation and most don’t pan out. Belicheat drafted 9-10 QBs while Brady was the QB. I personally don’t like short QBs or ones with no mobility.
    Grappolo, Goff, Cousins, Tannehill, etc are not good enough because they falter, disintegrate, and actively contribute to their teams losing important games when confronted with a high-end defense or a TD better be answered with another TD offensive drag race.

I'm not a big Matt Ryan fan, but he seems to be able to beat an upper echelon NFL defense on his own strengths rather than scheme magic and surrounding players doing jaw-dropping things.

I just don't like drafting doubles in the first round. Why not swing for the fences?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This comment is almost like you just became a Steelers fan yesterday. Look at the QB history…this would fit right in line with that. Team that thought Mike Vick was a good idea, Mason Rudolph is Rd 1 talent, Let’s roll out Duck Hodges, etc. Trubisky as starter and Pickett not being round one talent is right in line with the narrative.
    None of those guys ever had a shot of starting more than like 3 games in a row for the team if things went according to plan. Dinking around with back-up QB options is something I could really care less about.

Screwing up finding a starting QB is a bit bigger of deal. And it would be one thing if they seemed to be looking for ideal traits. But they seem enamored with qualities that the last several years in QB development across the NFL has indicated doesn't matter the way it used to...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Arm strength , anticipation , smart ,and semi athletic ...if you give me those 4 traits then you can run most any system in football successfully .... hmmm we passed on a couple guys like this last draft
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now