Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Divisional Playoffs: Jaguars Round 2

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Divisional Playoffs: Jaguars Round 2

WTF is up with all the practice injuries? Burns and now Tuitt?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Well shit...

Good thing we signed Alualu, he's been solid when given PT
    I was hoping for 4 down linemen in some sets......and dare Bortles to throw it.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I was hoping for 4 down linemen in some sets......and dare Bortles to throw it.
    True, well I hope the sling was just precautionary. We can't afford to get injuries before we even play 1 game

Here is the latest I could find on both teams for injury reports (it is from BSPN so take it for what it is):

If these are accurate, there will be a heavy dose of Bell to open up the passing game this week. Looks like Tuitt is minor so no issue there. Burns is the biggest question mark. Hopefully he will be good to go by game day.

Cornerback Artie Burns (knee) was a new addition to the injury report on Wednesday. The Steelers need all the corner help they can get after allowing 10 passing plays of 40-plus yards over the past eight weeks. His recovery over the next four days will be crucial. Defensive end Stephon Tuitt (elbow) also appeared on the report, but I'm hearing his injury is minor. And good news for the Steelers: Wide receiver Antonio Brown (calf) was a full participant at practice, and teammates said he looked like his normal self.

After being relatively healthy on defense all season, the Jaguars have three linebackers banged up: Telvin Smith (ankle), Paul Posluszny (abdomen) and Blair Brown (foot). Smith is the team's emotional leader and the best playmaker, so he's the most important of the three, especially since he'd likely be covering running back Le'Veon Bell. Brown was injured in Wednesday's practice, which could be an issue if Posluszny cannot play as he was next in line. That would likely force the Jaguars to stay in nickel most of Sunday's game.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Will miss the games this weekend due to an out of town basketball tournament. So, here's what I think will happen:

Steelers will beat the Jags, and this one won't even be close.

Patriots will find a way to once again exploit a Lebeau defense and send the Titans home.

The Falcons go into Philly and beat the Eagles for another road playoff win.

Maybe the best matchup, on paper, for this weekend, the Saints at Vikings. Both defenses are playing well. I think the Saints have more weapons and will out last the Vikes.

See everyone back on here Sunday evening or Monday morning, and you guys can let me have it for how wrong my predictions were. Enjoy!

I actually agree with you on all those outcomes.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think a lot of people are taking this Jags team way too lightly. This teams defense is better than good. They are premiere. Best outside rushers in the league. Probably top-5 DT tandem in the league and we don’t need to mention how good the DBs are. If Ben throws two interceptions (he averaged 2.5 per playoff season and heard something that he’s thrown an average of 2 at home in playoff games) this team is screwed. They’ll fall right into the hands of the Jags Defense. Especially if the Jags are aggressive, which I expect they will be. They’re pretty much playing with nothing to lose...which makes them even more dangerous. If they can hit a couple deep passes to get Bortles confidence, Ben turns the ball over twice, the steal a possession, the Jags Defense can hold their foot down on the Steelers and Pittsburgh may not come back. As this game gets closer, I’m getting worried...people are taking the Jags very lightly...hopefully the team isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01...days-practice/

Steelers Playoff Injury Report: Burns, Tuitt, Hargrave All Sit Out Thursday’s Practice

Hargrave now with a back injury

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think a lot of people are taking this Jags team way too lightly. This teams defense is better than good. They are premiere. Best outside rushers in the league. Probably top-5 DT tandem in the league and we don’t need to mention how good the DBs are. If Ben throws two interceptions (he averaged 2.5 per playoff season and heard something that he’s thrown an average of 2 at home in playoff games) this team is screwed. They’ll fall right into the hands of the Jags Defense. Especially if the Jags are aggressive, which I expect they will be. They’re pretty much playing with nothing to lose...which makes them even more dangerous. If they can hit a couple deep passes to get Bortles confidence, Ben turns the ball over twice, the steal a possession, the Jags Defense can hold their foot down on the Steelers and Pittsburgh may not come back. As this game gets closer, I’m getting worried...people are taking the Jags very lightly...hopefully the team isn’t.
    That is a lot of "ifs". If Been throws 2 INT's, If Bortles plays good, If our running game doesnt get going, If their DL outplays our OL . . . and we have a pretty good defense also, not to mention the best WR in the game, the best RB in the game, the best rookie WR in the game, Ben playing far better than earlier in the year and I think Gilbert was out the first game. I am not taking the Jags lightly, I just like our talent far far better than that of the Jags.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Worst case scenario again....

Senior Member Array title="ShoeHorn will become famous soon enough"> ShoeHorn's Avatar

Don’t forget about the weather. Florida teams have always sucked in cold weather and Sunday looks to be freezing. Many of the Jags key players have spent their entire college and pro careers in the south. Here’s hoping they have no interest in playing football when they can’t feel their toes for the first time in their life!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    WTF is up with all the practice injuries? Burns and now Tuitt?
    And now Hargrave.

Yeah....the bye week certainly gave us the chance to get healthier.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

AB has 10 for 157 against them... with a TD called back.

20 of the Jaguars’ points came off of 4 INTs (two pick-sixes and two chip-shot FGs).

SUMMATION:
    As long as BB doesn’t throw 5 INTs, the Steelers should be good... because, Bortles can’t score without a shortened field.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

3 INTs were because Ben was either being hit or in the grasp. IF the O-Line doesn’t keep him clean, those INTs could show up again.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Worst case scenario again....
    Yes. I was tired of being the positive guy around here...

AB sat out and sent home from practice with illness. Tomlin says he should play Sunday as long as he’s over “the bug”.

Tuitt and Burns full participants in practice.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yes. I was tired of being the positive guy around here...
    I agree with you. There is A LOT to be worried about in this game. Also, if I was in charge of the Jags on offense, I would subvert expectations on the Steelers. I would use play action and then just have Bortles fling it deep. He can't complete high % passes anyway, so go with the big play shot. Not like the Steelers have had NO MASSIVE problems with deep passes...

AB sat out and sent home from practice with illness. Tomlin says he should play Sunday as long as he’s over “the bug”.

Tuitt and Burns full participants in practice.
    If AB has the real deal flu that has been going around he will be sick for a week - even Toradol cannot fix that

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    If AB has the real deal flu that has been going around he will be sick for a week - even Toradol cannot fix that
    Crap. Just like last season, when 15 of the Steelers got the flu the week before the AFCCG.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

More here on how and where the defense is vulnerable: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/gam...f-preview-2018

Also this nugget that is sure to make heads explode: "He [Haden] actually hasn't charted too well this year, and certainly not better than Artie Burns, who has had his own share of struggles in this defense. According to Sports Info Solutions, Haden allowed 7.3 yards per pass (ranked 52nd), compared to 6.5 yards per pass for Burns (ranked 30th)."

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    More here on how and where the defense is vulnerable: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/gam...f-preview-2018

Also this nugget that is sure to make heads explode: "He [Haden] actually hasn't charted too well this year, and certainly not better than Artie Burns, who has had his own share of struggles in this defense. According to Sports Info Solutions, Haden allowed 7.3 yards per pass (ranked 52nd), compared to 6.5 yards per pass for Burns (ranked 30th)."
    Interesting.

That said, there was a stat from a few week ago back, that showed that the Steelers were like 27th in ppg given up without Haden, but 1st in ppg when Haden does play.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Interesting.

That said, there was a stat from a few week ago back, that showed that the Steelers were like 27th in ppg given up without Haden, but 1st in ppg when Haden does play.
    I think I saw something like that too. Wonder if they are more willing to leave Haden and Burns on islands when both are in the line-up. Allows doubles and pressure from others?

I just wish the secondary generated more turnovers. They just don't seem to get their hands on a lot of passes. I have no idea why...

I think I saw something like that too. Wonder if they are more willing to leave Haden and Burns on islands when both are in the line-up. Allows doubles and pressure from others?

I just wish the secondary generated more turnovers. They just don't seem to get their hands on a lot of passes. I have no idea why...
    This nugget in terms of watching TJ Watt for defensive scheme

Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler is known for slot blitzing, but he’s also a proponent of rushing three and dropping eight into coverage. This would be a great way to contain Blake Bortles’s scrambling and force the struggling QB to make decisions late into the down. The Steelers have a presnap tell here: If T.J. Watt is standing up over the center or guard, an eight-man coverage is on the way.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/12/di...saints-vikings

I agree that jaguars are a challenge for steelers, so the steelers need to be ready

The deep ball in defense is my biggest concern ....

I agree with you. There is A LOT to be worried about in this game. Also, if I was in charge of the Jags on offense, I would subvert expectations on the Steelers. I would use play action and then just have Bortles fling it deep. He can't complete high % passes anyway, so go with the big play shot. Not like the Steelers have had NO MASSIVE problems with deep passes...
    Same. You do that and Bortles completes a couple, he’s gonna have confidence and that’s a bad thing.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What good does it do to sit around and worry about things we have zero control over? Not taking the Jags defense lightly at all. Their offense, maybe I am. If we take care of the things we can, we win this game. Steelers are the better team.

Always a lot too much worry in this forum

Our problems against deep pass are mainly because of blowns coverage.Let's hope that will be fixed because of the bye week.The steelers worked on that during the bye week.

Otherwise, each team has strengths and weaknesses and the steelers and the jaguars are not different, so do not go crazy with the best and worst case scenario.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I have no worries with Bortles, my worries are Fournette, Bortles threw one pass in second half last time. I suspect he’ll have a couple of big plays due to our secondary miscommunications but as long as we stop the run which includes Bortles running,Steelers will get the W.no pic sixes and hold them to fg’s. I think it’s about time for Haden to have pic 6.