Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Our offensive line scares me

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Our offensive line scares me

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Looks like the opening day lineup is:

Moore - Dotson - Green - Turner - Chukks

The question becomes: when Banner returns, what happens to Chukks? Honestly, I think Moore just seized the starting LT spot… and won’t let go (for a decade).
    I WANT to be optimistic...but the only name on that list I have confidence in is Dotson.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I WANT to be optimistic...but the only name on that list I have confidence in is Dotson.
    I get that, and I kind of feel the same way, but I do think Moore and Green will become solid players..........hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm nervous though going into the regular season as now they will be going against 1st team defenses all game long, and it is not going to be like preseason.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I know what you mean. When I see that lineup, it’s scary to me…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I hope Moore will seize the LT position and own it for a long time .......but more than just a hope, I also tend to think that it will actually happen. He looked good in pre-season play, and just physically he looks like he is in such good shape for an O-lineman.
    Spot on. I know it was only preseason, but when he was in, you could see the difference… particularly, his attitude. The dude FINISHED plays. The RB would already be by him, but it appeared that Moore “wanted” to drive his defender into the dirt. IMO, he’s the perfect “Klemm” type of player.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Well we had one of the best olines in the nfl, the 3 "B's" and not much really came of all that talent. Maybe, just maybe something can come out of a bunch of young guys who just get out there and play football. I think this is going to be a fun season.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I know what you mean. When I see that lineup, it’s scary to me…
    Hence, going back to the title of my thread. This is going to be a scary year for Ben if and WHEN we have to pass. I hope NH can block.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So, people still scared??

I dont think it was any worse than last year performance vs the Bills and I think they have a lot more upside than the unit that was on the field last December against the Bills.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I dont think it was any worse than last year performance vs the Bills and I think they have a lot more upside than the unit that was on the field last December against the Bills.
    Yep the arrow can only go up from here, it's a young OL with 2 rookies on it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes. I thought the run blocking needs a whole lot of improvement. The blocking seemed to be about where I thought it would be. I wasn’t overly excited about it but it did seem like it improved as the game went on? So maybe the continue the improvement as the season progresses.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yes. I think it is time to conclude that, unfortunately, Chukks just isn't going to get any better. I didn't see any improvement from him from last year. He is adequate. But that is disappointing because I really thought he was going to develop into something.

Green is going to be an adventure all year because he simply needs to get stronger. Something that won't happen until the off-season.

Moore is going to be fine? But will struggle in pass protection against experienced NFL pass rushers. But he has definitely passed Chukks as the "exciting OT prospect".

Dotson and Turner should both be okay if they stay healthy. They will look better as the guys around them look better.

But...I am still highly concerned about the OL. The offense clearly had a limited playbook on Sunday. I suspect the prime reason for that was the offensive line. Not going to consistently win games without being able to run the whole playbook.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

It appears to me that Chukks' ceiling is a serviceable backup tackle at the NFL level. I do not see him being the starting LT a team wants protecting the QB's blindside.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yep the arrow can only go up from here, it's a young OL with 2 rookies on it.
    It seems like you are the only optimist on the thread.

As the season goes on and guys like Dotson, Green and Turner get used to playing next to each other and be more efficient at combination blocks, passing off defenders and when to reach block a guys vs kick him out for Najee to find the seam to run at. But all 3 of those guys showed some effort, intensity, ability to block defenders. Moore looked OK and that is a challenging spot to put a young guy, but he will get better as he seems to embrace run blocking and NFL pass protection is on the job learning for him. Okorafor showed he can move his feet, but still isnt the greatest in run blocking, which needs to happen for him to be of worth to the Steelers or another team.

That Bills defense is good, the environment was loud and for 2 rookies and 1 2nd year pro it could have been a lot worse. I will look at the game again, if I have time, but I think I saw some Trai Turner plays blocking that are encouraging to think that he may be healthy again.

Anyone know why Green was out of the game at one point?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Anyone know why Green was out of the game at one point?
    I saw JC in there for a snap or 2, then Green was back in. Not sure why though.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I saw JC in there for a snap or 2, then Green was back in. Not sure why though.
    I saw that too. Maybe it was just an equipment issue.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

So are we thinking when Banner comes back he plays RT, and we keep Moore as LT?

I know there is more football to be played between now and then, but I’m hoping that Moore holds his own in that LT spot and keeps it. Meanwhile Banner, if healthy, is probably a better run blocker than Chuks.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

PFF week 1 grades: OL

Left to right.

Dan Moore: 71.8
    Dotson: 52.8
    Green: 55.3
    Turner: 69.1
    Okorafor: 53.1

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    So are we thinking when Banner comes back he plays RT, and we keep Moore as LT?
    Yes

Anyone watching AV play tonight?
    Simply, Father Time is unbeaten.

btw: Green is tied for first in “win-rate” for centers.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    PFF week 1 grades: OL

Left to right.

Dan Moore: 71.8
    Dotson: 52.8
    Green: 55.3
    Turner: 69.1
    Okorafor: 53.1
    Can you shed some light on what these numbers mean, are these out of 100?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Yeah I took note of that too. AV was getting abused. TJ is going to enjoy that matchup.

Impossible. He was a big loss for the Steelers this off-season. You need to read more intranets and watch more shows!

I felt bad for AV watching him get consistently beaten last night..........but I also was telling myself the Steelers were right in moving on from him after last season :-)

If AV keeps getting abused like that I don't think he will remain in the starting lineup and face off against TJ when the Steelers play the Ravens.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Can you shed some light on what these numbers mean, are these out of 100?
    It means they are all BFF's now!

Actually I'm in the same boat as you and have no clue. I'm sure they are just some stats some computer geek put together to measure offensive lines.

As far as this original thread, I'm still afraid of this line. But in a few weeks we'll know for sure. Remember we still have the hardest schedule in the NFL based off of wining pct from last season.

PFF is on a 100 point scale: https://www.pff.com/grades

The Player Grading Scale:
    100-90 Elite
    89-85 Pro Bowler
    84-70 Starter
    69-60 Backup
    59-0 Replaceable

For O-line specifically: https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff...s-run-blocking and https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff...ass-protection

The bottom line is that the Steelers offensive line graded out, on one places scale as replacement level. Just one week. Just one place. Just an initial look. But, I don't think anyone is going to argue against the idea that they simply were not very good.

I mean, the going story seems to be that the offensive line was so bad - going into the game - that the offensive coaching staff carved the playboook down to size. Right now the Steelers offense is best described as downfield penalties and wishes.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

PFF is on a 100 point scale: https://www.pff.com/grades

The Player Grading Scale:
    100-90 Elite
    89-85 Pro Bowler
    84-70 Starter
    69-60 Backup
    59-0 Replaceable

For O-line specifically: https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff...s-run-blocking and https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff...ass-protection

The bottom line is that the Steelers offensive line graded out, on one places scale as replacement level. Just one week. Just one place. Just an initial look. But, I don't think anyone is going to argue against the idea that they simply were not very good.

I mean, the going story seems to be that the offensive line was so bad - going into the game - that the offensive coaching staff carved the playboook down to size. Right now the Steelers offense is best described as downfield penalties and wishes.
    I see three links that explain how their grading system works. Where's the link that shows the Steelers grades for the Bills game?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I see three links that explain how their grading system works. Where's the link that shows the Steelers grades for the Bills game?
    Posted earlier in the thread. An explanation was asked for and I can't multi quote well on my phone. Likely because I'm old and impatient.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Posted earlier in the thread. An explanation was asked for and I can't multi quote well on my phone. Likely because I'm old and impatient.
    Gotcha. Interesting that Moore was the only one to get a starting grade. I wonder how much bias goes into these evaluations, based on reputation, or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Gotcha. Interesting that Moore was the only one to get a starting grade. I wonder how much bias goes into these evaluations, based on reputation, or lack thereof.
    No idea. I also thought it was interesting that the PFF site claims that it uses All-22 footage to make its grades. But based on when Hawaii posted the grades, there is no way that has been done yet. The All-22 usually comes out midweek according to the various podcasts I listen to that make use of it each week.

Long story short, wonder if those grades will move up or down based on that film?

No idea. I also thought it was interesting that the PFF site claims that it uses All-22 footage to make its grades. But based on when Hawaii posted the grades, there is no way that has been done yet. The All-22 usually comes out midweek according to the various podcasts I listen to that make use of it each week.

Long story short, wonder if those grades will move up or down based on that film?
    Hard for me to say since it appears that gamepass has removed the all 22 from its options this year. Last year and previous years though, it was available much earlier than mid-week. There were random examples when it was available on the night of the game.

Edit: In fact, I just wrote the commissioner an email about my concerns with the product, including the removal of the all 22.