Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Eli Manning will announce retirement Friday

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Eli Manning will announce retirement Friday

Eli Manning‘s NFL career appears to have reached the end. Manning earned more money playing football than anyone else in the history of the league at $252.3 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rement-friday/

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Report: Eli Manning will announce retirement Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Eli Manning‘s NFL career appears to have reached the end. Manning earned more money playing football than anyone else in the history of the league at $252.3 million.

Will always be grateful to Eli for helping to beat the Pats in two Super Bowls.

I know it is tough to leave millions on the table but he should have given it up a few years ago rather than play poorly on a crap team.

Eli’s mediocre past few years makes his HOF candidacy problematic, although I bet he gets in eventually

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Wow, I had no idea.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Eli owns Tom

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Eli owns Tom
    And that's certainly one of reasons he made $252.3 million.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Eli's had quite the interesting career. I think this is a good move for him, he had been past his prime for years

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

He beat Tom twice, he's cool with me.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He’s a Hall of Famer. Enjoy retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He’s a Hall of Famer. Enjoy retirement.
    With $252.3 million I'm sure he will.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If Ben can't go this summer......... Eli will come out of retirement........

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Looking forward to the Arch Manning years. Archie, Peyton, Eli, and the Manning legacy will continue. Think about it, only 32 people in the world can claim to be the starting QB for an NFL team and 3 have been those 3 guys. And with grandson(Cooper's son) Arch on his way (Freshman QB at Newman HS in NOLA) I predict it will be 4.

Congrats to Eli on a rollercoaster HoF career and 2 SB championships. Welcome to your retirement.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Looking forward to the Arch Manning years. Archie, Peyton, Eli, and the Manning legacy will continue. Think about it, only 32 people in the world can claim to be the starting QB for an NFL team and 3 have been those 3 guys. And with grandson(Cooper's son) Arch on his way (Freshman QB at Newman HS in NOLA) I predict it will be 4.

Congrats to Eli on a rollercoaster HoF career and 2 SB championships. Welcome to your retirement.
    the HOF is debatable for Eli if you really break it down. Other than those 2 playoffs runs he was rather pedestrian at best
    People say Rivers is 'automatic' and that's just ludicrous. Personally I would never put him in.
    The only sure guy from that draft class is Ben after 5 years but I can see the voters waiting to put him in just because of so many 'Steelers' and because he's the Rodney Dangerfield of QBs who gets no respect...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    the HOF is debatable for Eli if you really break it down. Other than those 2 playoffs runs he was rather pedestrian at best
    People say Rivers is 'automatic' and that's just ludicrous. Personally I would never put him in.
    The only sure guy from that draft class is Ben after 5 years but I can see the voters waiting to put him in just because of so many 'Steelers' and because he's the Rodney Dangerfield of QBs who gets no respect...
    Debatable credentials or not Eli will be in the Hall. So will Ben and so will Rivers.

is he a good QB?

is he a good QB?
    According to reports he's ahead of where Peyton and Eli were as Freshmen at the same HS. Could just be hype I guess. He does already have a highlight video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INw7JHj71lA

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

According to reports he's ahead of where Peyton and Eli were as Freshmen at the same HS. Could just be hype I guess. He does already have a highlight video.

Cooper was considered the worthless son because he didn't play in the NFL lol. Maybe the football genes skipped a generation with him

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Agree that Eli making the HOF should be debatable. Also agree that Rivers shouldn’t get a whiff of the HOF.
    Eli’s career record of .500 is weak.
    The two SB’s over the Pats will probably do it. Playing in NY and being Peyton’s brother also helps his case.
    As for Rivers, if he gets in, than everybody with decent career stats should get in.
    Becoming the Hall of Fame of “good” not “great.”

Rivers should be in the HoF of baby making but not the NFL

Cooper was considered the worthless son because he didn't play in the NFL lol. Maybe the football genes skipped a generation with him
    Actually......Cooper was the best 'athlete' of the 3 brothers according to Archie. But the degenerative spinal issue hit him in college and he was forced out of football due to that. Peyton was going to go to Ole Miss to play with his brother until Cooper had to quit and then Peyton went to UT instead. There is a Manning documentary done by ESPN Films I think every football fan should watch at least once.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Eli will probably be in the hall. His 2 Super Bowl wins over the Patriots and 2 Super Bowl MVPs will be the building blocks for his HOF case, retiring top 10 all time in passing yards and TDs will be the deciding factor

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Agree that Eli making the HOF should be debatable. Also agree that Rivers shouldn’t get a whiff of the HOF.
    Eli’s career record of .500 is weak.
    The two SB’s over the Pats will probably do it. Playing in NY and being Peyton’s brother also helps his case.
    As for Rivers, if he gets in, than everybody with decent career stats should get in.
    Becoming the Hall of Fame of “good” not “great.”
    .500 record doesn’t fall on just Eli. He’s got the Super Bowls, the MVPs, played lights out in NFC Championship games. Was clutch during the season when needed and most of all, he’s got Top-10 numbers at the time of retirement. The story of the NFL cannot be told without Eli Manning. He’s a lock. You can tell the story of the NFL almost without mentioning Rivers...almost.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The anti-Eli to the HOF argument from (checks notes) ... the New York Times

Since 1970, there have typically been six or seven active Hall of Famers at any given time....

Could Manning live up to a standard of being one of the six to eight best quarterbacks of his era? Not likely.

His career overlapped with two current Hall of Famers (Brett Favre and Kurt Warner) and with a group of five quarterbacks who almost assuredly will be elected once they are eligible (Peyton Manning, Brady, Drew Brees, Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers)....

In the end, Manning appears to fall below what will most likely be the standard for induction once he becomes eligible. He was a good, but not great, player with a .500 record whose case is almost entirely based on a pair of postseason runs powered largely by his team’s defense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/s...core-ios-share

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The anti-Eli to the HOF argument from (checks notes) ... the New York Times

Since 1970, there have typically been six or seven active Hall of Famers at any given time....

Could Manning live up to a standard of being one of the six to eight best quarterbacks of his era? Not likely.

His career overlapped with two current Hall of Famers (Brett Favre and Kurt Warner) and with a group of five quarterbacks who almost assuredly will be elected once they are eligible (Peyton Manning, Brady, Drew Brees, Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers)....

In the end, Manning appears to fall below what will most likely be the standard for induction once he becomes eligible. He was a good, but not great, player with a .500 record whose case is almost entirely based on a pair of postseason runs powered largely by his team’s defense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/s...core-ios-share

That's a pretty solid summary. I like Eli. But Eli was a mediocre QB with intermittent bouts of greatness.

If his last name wasn't Manning, we wouldn't be having a discussion.

He can sure scramble better than Peyton & Eli.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Eli owns Tom

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Hell, the guy still routinely gets shit on by members of his OWN TEAM'S fanbase.

He's going to be waiting awhile, unless he comes back and wins a 3rd ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That's a pretty solid summary. I like Eli. But Eli was a mediocre QB with intermittent bouts of greatness.

If his last name wasn't Manning, we wouldn't be having a discussion.
    Yes we would. Two time Super Bowl MVP. Brady, Bradshaw, Montana and Starr are in that group. He beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl. Probably the toughest competition any QB has had to face in the Super Bowl. Brady, Belichick and Cheating...not an easy task and he did it twice. Eli was more than just a cog in a defensive wheel in those games. That argument could be made for Ben in Suoer Bowl XL. But then people will argue that they’d never been there without his performances in the playoffs. True. But same goes for Eli. He’s a Top-10 passer of All-Time at time of retirement. Granted, stats are a bit inflated, but then so is everyone’s stats at this time. So if you’re not going to use stats as a measure for Eli, then what has Ben done to get in? Won two Super Bowls but no MVPs. Threw for 500 yards several times? Stats inflated.

Also, Hall of Fame is there for players that come up big in great moments. Eli has done that. He may not be first ballot, but he’s more worthy than some of the others that are in there. You can’t go about telling the great story of the NFL without Eli Manning and for me, that’s a deciding factor when someone is “borderline”. However, I don’t think he is. Rivers is borderline at best. Eli gets in.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Hell, the guy still routinely gets shit on by members of his OWN TEAM'S fanbase.

He's going to be waiting awhile, unless he comes back and wins a 3rd ring.
    Sure the team went 8-8 this year largely due to that amazing defense
    In saying that I see 4/5 extra wins in semi rose colored glasses that Ben wins had he been playing
    I still think they win week 2 vs Seattle
    Week 3 @ 49ers
    Week 5 vs Ravens (i think one of those turnovers by Jackson becomes a TD so OT wasn't needed)
    Week 15 vs Bills (this was going to be tough regardless)
    Week 17 vs Jets

Ben won't get his just desserts until after he's gone.
    As long as he comes back and they're at home week 2 (can't be week 1 Pirates are at home that week haha) when he comes out of the tunnel that stadium should be cheering for a long time. Even if he were to play terrible which is likely cause its week 2 and he'll probably still be getting warmed up but its more for the appreciation of what he's done for the franchise because again once he gone I feel this team fades away for awhile where a 500 record will be stellar.

Here's hoping he's got one last hurrah in that right arm/elbow

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yes we would. Two time Super Bowl MVP. Brady, Bradshaw, Montana and Starr are in that group. He beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl. Probably the toughest competition any QB has had to face in the Super Bowl. Brady, Belichick and Cheating...not an easy task and he did it twice. Eli was more than just a cog in a defensive wheel in those games. That argument could be made for Ben in Suoer Bowl XL. But then people will argue that they’d never been there without his performances in the playoffs. True. But same goes for Eli. He’s a Top-10 passer of All-Time at time of retirement. Granted, stats are a bit inflated, but then so is everyone’s stats at this time. So if you’re not going to use stats as a measure for Eli, then what has Ben done to get in? Won two Super Bowls but no MVPs. Threw for 500 yards several times? Stats inflated.

Also, Hall of Fame is there for players that come up big in great moments. Eli has done that. He may not be first ballot, but he’s more worthy than some of the others that are in there. You can’t go about telling the great story of the NFL without Eli Manning and for me, that’s a deciding factor when someone is “borderline”. However, I don’t think he is. Rivers is borderline at best. Eli gets in.
    I don't buy it. Doesn't mean you aren't right -- just I can easily tell the story of the NFL without Eli Manning. He has two defense focused SB runs. That's it. The rest of his career is a study in mediocrity.

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-eli-mann...005406042.html
    "Manning will finish his career as a .500 quarterback with a 116-116 record. Aside from the two Super Bowl runs, the Giants never won another playoff game during Manning’s 15-season tenure as starter."

"The junior Manning is a zero-time All-Pro and three-time NFL interception champion with a career quarterback rating (84.2) on par with Joe Flacco (84.1)."

"But his name is Manning. He played a long time for one of the NFL’s glamour franchises in the nation’s biggest market. And his Giants twice defeated the greatest villain in NFL history.
    These are all standalone accomplishments that are rightfully celebrated. But just because a story is a good one and an integral part of the NFL fabric, it doesn’t make it Hall worthy."

Eli Manning's career is essentially a version of Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton or Alex Smith. Only he did it in New York for a long time and with a famous last name. If his name was Eli Jones and he played in Tampa we wouldn't be talking about this because he would've been benched 3 seasons ago at least. He struggled with accuracy throughout his career. He, outside of two games, rarely made his team better in the biggest moments.

Put it this way, if you could magically have any QB from the last 2 decades in their prime to start your own NFL franchise -- how many guys would you list before Eli's name came up? I came up with 10 or 12.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Has there been a QB in recent memory that has sparked as much HOF debate as Eli? I can't think of one. I'd say he gets in after 4-5 years based on being a compiler of stats along with two Super Bowl MVPs.