Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yep. Until he shows otherwise, you stick with him. Look at Warner, Brady, Romo, Favre…all back ups that played their way into a starting role and lengthy, successful career. Maybe Purdy is this day and ages Tony Romo…
    Romo was a choke artist who would always throw a game-losing INT in the playoffs. Prescott is the new Romo
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Romo was a choke artist who would always throw a game-losing INT in the playoffs. Prescott is the new Romo
    Maybe this is more a cowboys problem?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Maybe this is more a cowboys problem?
    It might be a Mike McCarthy problem. He had similar issues in Green Bay

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Many people were saying that Purdy was going to be exposed as soon as he faced a tough defense against Dallas, and even using yesterday's game as evidence that he was pedestrian. I actually think it was a pretty good showing from him, all things considered. A QB who was overmatched would have made some bad mistakes in that game and likely cost his team the win. Playing mistake-free under pressure was the most important thing either QB could do in a game like that, and in that respect, he outplayed Dak Prescott handily. 200 yards with no TDs isn't glamorous, but the 0 INTs (to Dallas' 2) was the difference in the game. I don't think you could find many offenses or QBs who would carve up either one of those defenses for 400 yards and 4 TDs the way they were playing.

It is interesting that the NFC championship will feature the guy who replaced Trey Lance, against the guy Trey Lance was supposed to be if you bought into the hype and wishful thinking.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It might be a Mike McCarthy problem. He had similar issues in Green Bay
    Maybe for Dak but not the case for Romo!

Maybe it's a mixture of several things(the cowboys problems) but I don't think Romo or Dak are their biggest problem!...Romo and Dak are both the same caliber that Stafford who won the super bowl last year

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Many people were saying that Purdy was going to be exposed as soon as he faced a tough defense against Dallas, and even using yesterday's game as evidence that he was pedestrian. I actually think it was a pretty good showing from him, all things considered. A QB who was overmatched would have made some bad mistakes in that game and likely cost his team the win. Playing mistake-free under pressure was the most important thing either QB could do in a game like that, and in that respect, he outplayed Dak Prescott handily. 200 yards with no TDs isn't glamorous, but the 0 INTs (to Dallas' 2) was the difference in the game. I don't think you could find many offenses or QBs who would carve up either one of those defenses for 400 yards and 4 TDs the way they were playing.

It is interesting that the NFC championship will feature the guy who replaced Trey Lance, against the guy Trey Lance was supposed to be if you bought into the hype and wishful thinking.
    He is a good QB and he deserve credit for that....He is much better that Jimmy G.But he also play in a great system.Both thing can be true at the same time

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Purdy is a good game manager, maybe he’ll have a Case Keenum like career. KP is more than that; he’s got a higher ceiling just based on the way he’s already very efficient at making something positive out of a busted play. And his velocity is there - the last few games.

I don’t think I’m missing anything

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Purdy is going to get SLAUGHTERED by the Eagles…

The 49ers match up great against Philadelphia but Purdy won’t be good enough to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I wonder if some of us don’t want Purdy to succeed and do what Ben couldn’t do and that is to reach a SB as a rookie QB. It’s crossed my mind. I confess.

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I wonder if some of us don’t want Purdy to succeed and do what Ben couldn’t do and that is to reach a SB as a rookie QB. It’s crossed my mind. I confess.
    I don't care about that and this is not the same thing.....I don't think that Ben would hit the rookie wall in 2004 if his first start would been in late november.....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

People are just mad that SF got better performance out of the last pick in the draft than the Steelers got from KP. There's a hundred reasons why he's going to fall off every week. Nobody has told him. Seems like he's the real deal. He can spin the ball for sure. Purdy being good doesn't mean that Pickett won't be too. Fans here act like that's so. Lol.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I thought they both looked like rookies at times. Because they are both rookies. This thread is about 3 seasons too early, IMO. I’m looking forward to watching KP next season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Let’s see a QB who only rolls left when pressured. Makes one read on every play and then tosses the ball to one of a fleet of elite playmakers. I’m gonna hold off on saying much of anything about him.

If Dak didn’t turn in an all time stinker, Purdy is on the losing side.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I just dislike the 49ers because there's too many bandwagoners where I live. They're quick to jump on their bandwagon since they're the closest thing we have to a home team, but fuck that, we're still separated by a 2000 mile ocean

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

By the way, this thread is not an ANTI Pickett post.

I am just pinning a time capsule that we can check in from year to year.

So far Year one.... Purdy is looking like a hero.

But after watching Philly bully the Giants. I think he gets thumped next week ...In Philly.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Let’s see a QB who only rolls left when pressured. Makes one read on every play and then tosses the ball to one of a fleet of elite playmakers. I’m gonna hold off on saying much of anything about him.

If Dak didn’t turn in an all time stinker, Purdy is on the losing side.
    So you make this evaluation on one game or have you watched several? And if it was as easy as you make it sound, everyone would be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So you make this evaluation on one game or have you watched several? And if it was as easy as you make it sound, everyone would be doing it.
    Watched the two playoff games. Was not impressed.

And everyone does do it in that offense. Jimmy G was putting up like 30 a game when CMC first came over. Mullins won more than he had any right to.

Put gardener minshew on the niners and he could probably win a lot of games

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

And everyone does do it in that offense. Jimmy G was putting up like 30 a game when CMC first came over. Mullins won more than he had any right to.
    Not Trey Lance…

I can't believe you went there. Everyone? Have you seen their record without G and Purdy? I'm not saying he's Joe Montana. I've watched about every game he's started and to think it's not impressive for a 7th round rookie is hard for me to fathom. Meanwhile, we're all head over heels with our QB who threw for 7 TDs and 9 picks. I like them both and I think KP has a higher ceiling. But give Purdy some props.

- - - Updated - - -

Not Trey Lance…
    Don't bring facts into it!

I can't believe you went there. Everyone? Have you seen their record without G and Purdy? I'm not saying he's Joe Montana. I've watched about every game he's started and to think it's not impressive for a 7th round rookie is hard for me to fathom. Meanwhile, we're all head over heels with our QB who threw for 7 TDs and 9 picks. I like them both and I think KP has a higher ceiling. But give Purdy some props.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't bring facts into it!
    He’s fine. But he’s not impressive. It’s the system. Almost any reasonably intelligent QB would have equal success.

To me, he stares down targets, defaults to his left whenever pressure comes, and he throws a ton of passes that should be picked off.

Put him on the field outside of that offense and that scheme and I strongly suspect he’d struggle.

Purdy is a great story and it’s amazing to watch his success. I do not believe it’s sustainable long term. He can absolutely continue as their primary backup but he’s not the end QB goal.

I suspect the Eagles turn him into a pumpkin.

He’s fine. But he’s not impressive. It’s the system. Almost any reasonably intelligent QB would have equal success.

To me, he stares down targets, defaults to his left whenever pressure comes, and he throws a ton of passes that should be picked off.

Put him on the field outside of that offense and that scheme and I strongly suspect he’d struggle.

Purdy is a great story and it’s amazing to watch his success. I do not believe it’s sustainable long term. He can absolutely continue as their primary backup but he’s not the end QB goal.

But yet the best defensive coordinators in the world cannot stop him... They should call you. And should the Eagles not turn him into a pumpkin, what will your response be then?

But yet the best defensive coordinators in the world cannot stop him... They should call you. And should the Eagles not turn him into a pumpkin, what will your response be then?
    Dunno. I’ll have to watch the game.

Purdy looked pretty not good against the Dallas D until the Niners just started running the heck out of the ball.

Take Daniel Jones. Is he good? I suspect most would say not really. But the Giants scored a ton of points this year with smoke, mirrors, bubble gum, and baling wire.

Purdy fits into that mold for me. He’s capable of executing the offense and the offense has been able to succeed for years now in absence of high end QB play.

Can Purdy make plays when the system breaks? No idea. Maybe he can. Maybe he can’t. Like I said O think the Eagles D will be a crucible to test that.

Additionally, what happens when the opposing offense can score on that defense? Make Purdy go tit for tat or even play from down multiple scores.

Maybe he takes off and flourishes. But everything before the past month or so says not to bet too heavily on it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I don't care about that and this is not the same thing.....I don't think that Ben would hit the rookie wall in 2004 if his first start would been in late november.....
    Agreed. Purdy has been fairly impressive, but the season was already 2/3 over when he initially went in. There's absolutely no comparison between Purdy's 5-0 regular season record this year and Roethlisberger's 13-0 regular season record in 2004.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Purdy is a good game manager, maybe he’ll have a Case Keenum like career. KP is more than that; he’s got a higher ceiling just based on the way he’s already very efficient at making something positive out of a busted play. And his velocity is there - the last few games.

I don’t think I’m missing anything
    this is just based on the Dallas game.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

fansince Agreed. Purdy has been fairly impressive, but the season was already 2/3 over when he initially went in. There's absolutely no comparison between Purdy's 5-0 regular season record this year and Roethlisberger's 13-0 regular season record in 2004.

I'm not saying Purdy is a future hall of fame QB, but as rookies they are were both impressive. For those who say Purdy is only playing well because of the system he in, well how come we don't have that type of system?

I think he is the rookie of the year and is a top 15 QB in the NFL already. He does not look like a rookie. IMO he is making the type of down the field throws that impressive me, is throwing few interceptions a good amount of TD's, has shown a good QB IQ , his fairly mobile, and is showing he is smart. Good accuracy too. He is the find of the 2022 draft.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 01-24-2023 at 06:37 AM.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Kenny Pickett vs Brock Purdy

I feel like the question needs to be asked: what QBs are impressive to you? I feel like yours standards are so high that maybe you’re expecting too much out of the gates on anyone? Is Josh Allen impressive? He wasn’t much better (if at all) than Brock Purdy has been. I mean really, there’s only two “impressive QBs” out there. Mahomes and Burrow. Maybe Hurts when healthy. Who else?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I feel like the question needs to be asked: what QBs are impressive to you? I feel like yours standards are so high that maybe you’re expecting too much out of the gates on anyone? Is Josh Allen impressive? He wasn’t much better (if at all) than Brock Purdy has been. I mean really, there’s only two “impressive QBs” out there. Mahomes and Burrow. Maybe Hurts when healthy. Who else?
    This is a good question.

In a nut shell there are a few very good to great QB's playing today. IMO you need at the very least a very good QB to win the super bowl these days. Players like Burrow, Mahomes, Hurt, or if the had a more complete team around them Allen, Lawerence, and Herbert. Almost every GM in football would be happy with the of these very young and good QB's if they did not have a ( very good to elite qb )

I place Purdy for now in the next tier below them because he has proven it as a rookie. Not the he can't pass for yardage ( focus on yards per attempt ) does rate high the highest QB rating on the passer system ( has there ever been a QB rated #1 on the passer rating for the year that isn't at least very good? ) If he can win the next game I would feel more comfortable moving him into the club. As in he's a QB capable of taking his team to the super bowl.

If we are being honest Dallas has a very pass rush ( ranked 3rd in the NFL with 54 sacks and has 16 INT with rates tied for 4th in the NFL ) so they are not an easy team for a QB look good against. The Eagles are #1 with 70 sacks ( #1 in the NFL ) and even more interceptions 17, to be exact )

Purdy does not need to play well to impress me here. If he he's throws the game away by passing for 150 yards and three interceptions that is another story. But if he passes if 200+ yards and throws at least 1 TD, I will be impressed relative to his experience level.

Am I making any sense to you? Just so you know I didn't copy this anywhere on the web.

Peace.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 01-24-2023 at 11:21 AM.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

People are just mad that SF got better performance out of the last pick in the draft than the Steelers got from KP. There's a hundred reasons why he's going to fall off every week. Nobody has told him. Seems like he's the real deal. He can spin the ball for sure. Purdy being good doesn't mean that Pickett won't be too. Fans here act like that's so. Lol.
    THIS

And anyone here that wouldn't trade the two ( and the original cost meaning steelers get pick 20 back and spend their last pick on Purdy) is a damn liar ( and a fool )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson, Lawrence, Murray. Stafford when he is healthy. Watson from 2 years ago. Dak before his brain decided to not deal with pressure. All are impressive and seem to succeed regardless of system.

Then there is the not impressive but effective tier of guys that need a strong system to thrive in like Goff, Cousins, Tua, Jimmy G, and so on.

Next is guys like Davis Mills and Mac Jones that just don't look like there is more there right now.

Then there is the incomplete but "Wow, there might be something here...if..." guys like Fields, Pickett, and whatever rookie through third year guys you like.

So where does Purdy fit? I think he is Mac Jones in a better offense. A less mobile and accurate Tua in a better system. That doesn't impress me. Just like Jimmy G being effective in the same system didn't. Just like Cousins hitting a wall against good defenses in a similar system doesn't. And just like Tua having the bottom fall out on him when defenses figured out what McDaniels was doing that had him in the MVP conversation.

Just as I didn't believe that Tua was an MVP caliber QB, I do not believe that Purdy is anymore than a decent back-up QB on a heater in the most QB friendly system in the entire league surrounded by, perhaps, the best set of playmakers in the entire league.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

THIS

And anyone here that wouldn't trade the two ( and the original cost meaning steelers get pick 20 back and spend their last pick on Purdy) is a damn liar ( and a fool )
    Nope. I still go with KP. I’m rooting for Purdy, I think it’s great story and amazing performance. You’re extremely bias with anything pertaining to KP. You went all in on not wanting him, when he absolutely was the right pick. The niners offense is a pro bowl offense. You think Tomlin and Kahn would swap the two if they had chance. I think not.