Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Landry Jones to Patriots?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm happy for Dobbs.

So am I, good kid.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think it’s weird that the Steelers cut Jones rather than trade him. I thought for sure someone would give us a sixth or seventh rounder for vet like Jones.

I think the Steelers probably could have kept all four QBs for a couple of days to try and facilitate a trade. Maybe temporary cut a guy like Marcus Allen - unless they think he would have gotten poached - and then resign him once they trade Jones.

But I have to now assume there was NO trade partner out there for Jones. I’m just saying... kind of surprising.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm happy for Dobbs also, but if he's the #2 QB, he'll have to prove me wrong like Jones did if he is called upon.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I think it’s weird that the Steelers cut Jones rather than trade him. I thought for sure someone would give us a sixth or seventh rounder for vet like Jones.

I think the Steelers probably could have kept all four QBs for a couple of days to try and facilitate a trade. Maybe temporary cut a guy like Marcus Allen - unless they think he would have gotten poached - and then resign him once they trade Jones.

But I have to now assume there was NO trade partner out there for Jones. I’m just saying... kind of surprising.
    With all the back up QBs being traded around, I also thought Jones could be a name thrown around out there as well. Maybe there’s more to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wouldn’t be out of character for the Steelers to pass on a heavily conditional late round pick and just let Jones control his fate as much as possible.

Or maybe nobody wanted the dude.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'm happy for Dobbs also, but if he's the #2 QB, he'll have to prove me wrong like Jones did if he is called upon.
    I hope he doesn't prove me wrong the same way Jones did. Because I would like him to do more than have one good game (one good half) and then suck for two and a half years occupying a roster spot.

Jones basically proved me wrong, then went back and proved I was wrong about being wrong.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wouldn’t be out of character for the Steelers to pass on a heavily conditional late round pick and just let Jones control his fate as much as possible.
    This had occurred to me too; that it wouldn’t be unlike the Steelers to do Landry a favor rather than trade him to someplace he doesn’t want to go.

The Steelers like Landry and never expected to part ways with him until recently. I’m sure Landry was caught by surprise, and the Steelers really are a class organization when it comes to such things. They care about their guys.

If this version turns out to be true, it’ll make me happy. Better that we can be proud of our favorite team for giving up some seventh round pick for the sake of doing right by a good human being that has always been a great employee and teammate to others.

Besides, the Steelers don’t need seventh round picks. We pick up our REAL stars as undrafted free agents.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I hope he doesn't prove me wrong the same way Jones did. Because I would like him to do more than have one good game (one good half) and then suck for two and a half years occupying a roster spot.

Jones basically proved me wrong, then went back and proved I was wrong about being wrong.
    What are your expectations of a back up QB?
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

The more I think about it, the more I think Dobbs has at least as good a chance to come through positively in Ben’s absence as any of our other back ups have recently.

We hear stuff like “Jones knows the playbook” and he knows how to “not lose games” and we have the tendency to confuse him with a real trustworthy back up like Charlie Batch. Jones is no Charlie Batch: a high floor, low ceiling former starter who could really hold down the fort.

The other issue to consider is that we no longer have a team with such a strong defense that we can afford to have QB in there who simply “doesn’t lose.” We are now a team with a high powered offense that won’t win many 13 - 10 games anymore. The thing with Dobbs is, on a good day when things are clicking for him, he can MAKE PLAYS TO WIN THE GAME.

I think Dobbs has now proven that his potential upside THIS YEAR will allow him to potentially win games that Jones would not win... even if Jones has a higher floor. With this team, in this NFL, we probably need to err on the side of high ceiling on any given Sunday, rather than low floor on any given Sunday.

Plus I believe Dobbs, with his particular skill set that involves extending plays, gives him a better chance to effectively take advantage of the weapons he has at his disposal. AB will eventually get open. He simply can not be covered indefinitely on any play. Even if Dobbs doesn’t perfectly go through his reads and see what to do as quickly as Ben would, Dobbs has the ability to give himself the extra three seconds he needs to find his playmakers. And those playmakers can REALLY help Dobbs out better than they can help Jones out.

If Jones is slow to find the open guy he will throw incomplete at best, and get sacked or throw a pick at worse. Dobbs just has higher odds of letting his playmakers bail him out in those situations... or he can bail himself out with his feet.

I’m really liking this decision more and more even though I was initially leaning more conservatively with Jones.

I trust the Steelers assessment that Dobbs is not simply a better FUTURE prospect, but that he’s a better #2 in 2018.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    100%

(There’s history of them doing this for other players.)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The more I think about it, the more I think Dobbs has at least as good a chance to come through positively in Ben’s absence as any of our other back ups have recently.

We hear stuff like “Jones knows the playbook” and he knows how to “not lose games” and we have the tendency to confuse him with a real trustworthy back up like Charlie Batch. Jones is no Charlie Batch: a high floor, low ceiling former starter who could really hold down the fort.

The other issue to consider is that we no longer have a team with such a strong defense that we can afford to have QB in there who simply “doesn’t lose.” We are now a team with a high powered offense that won’t win many 13 - 10 games anymore. The thing with Dobbs is, on a good day when things are clicking for him, he can MAKE PLAYS TO WIN THE GAME.

I think Dobbs has now proven that his potential upside THIS YEAR will allow him to potentially win games that Jones would not win... even if Jones has a higher floor. With this team, in this NFL, we probably need to err on the side of high ceiling on any given Sunday, rather than low floor on any given Sunday.

Plus I believe Dobbs, with his particular skill set that involves extending plays, gives him a better chance to effectively take advantage of the weapons he has at his disposal. AB will eventually get open. He simply can not be covered indefinitely on any play. Even if Dobbs doesn’t perfectly go through his reads and see what to do as quickly as Ben would, Dobbs has the ability to give himself the extra three seconds he needs to find his playmakers. And those playmakers can REALLY help Dobbs out better than they can help Jones out.

If Jones is slow to find the open guy he will throw incomplete at best, and get sacked or throw a pick at worse. Dobbs just has higher odds of letting his playmakers bail him out in those situations... or he can bail himself out with his feet.

I’m really liking this decision more and more even though I was initially leaning more conservatively with Jones.

I trust the Steelers assessment that Dobbs is not simply a better FUTURE prospect, but that he’s a better #2 in 2018.
    That says it all really really well.

In Batch's 8 year career with Pittsburgh he statically threw for 12 TD's/12 INTs.

He at least had the help of an elite defense along the way to help with the wins(W/L record of 6-3).

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BatcCh00.htm

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

funny stuff reading back through this thread from post 1 to present ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The difference my friend is his performance against the Panthers. That’s the best he’s ever looked and he literally won the backup job with that one performance. A lot of pressure was on him and to his credit, he rose to the occasion.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The difference my friend is his performance against the Panthers. That’s the best he’s ever looked and he literally won the backup job with that one performance. A lot of pressure was on him and to his credit, he rose to the occasion.
    no question that sealed the deal , but he has shown steady growth , thats what I always looks for , where Jones was basically stagnated he got so far and stopped ..

now we have 2 guys to watch grow up and see where it takes us down the road

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

no question that sealed the deal , but he has shown steady growth , thats what I always looks for , where Jones was basically stagnated he got so far and stopped ..

now we have 2 guys to watch grow up and see where it takes us down the road
    I really think they wanted to keep Jones. Dobbs just made it impossible - to his credit.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Love it and the right move by the Steelers. Funny how most sports writers and some posters as well thought that it was a given that Dobbs was the odd man out no matter how good he played

- - - Updated - - -

Ps. keeping Landry the other years was the right call until now.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    In Batch's 8 year career with Pittsburgh he statically threw for 12 TD's/12 INTs.

He at least had the help of an elite defense along the way to help with the wins(W/L record of 6-3).

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BatcCh00.htm
    Charlie Batch also pulled off this season-saving classic in Baltimore in 2012. Snapping the Ravens' home winning streak and keeping the Steelers alive (Too bad it was all for naught). That's why Charlie Batch is an excellent backup, and Landry Jones, isn't.

Yes, and I will totally admit to being convinced that Dobbs is the correct choice, even though I leaned Jones when the thread started.

But my logic never changed.

My position that Dobbs’s ceiling and potential for a FUTURE YEAR should not be considered when making the decision.

I still believe that.

What changed is that now I’m convinced Dobbs is the better #2 for us this year. I thought it through and gave my reasoning in my last post.

But I also have no problem admitting that the most influential piece of new data for me is that the STEELERS THEMSELVES became convinced that Jones was NOT the best #2 QB on this roster for THIS SEASON.

When I talk about Dobbs’s 2018 higher game to game ceiling than Jones’s, that’s WAY different to me than Dobbs’s obvious CAREER higher ceiling.

The later was never a disputed point, but also never a relative point in my opinion. The FORMER is what matters to me, and now I’m convinced that Dobbs’s 2018 any-given-game higher ceiling is what makes him more likely to get a W for us in Ben’s absence than Jones would.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Charlie Batch also pulled off this season-saving classic in Baltimore in 2012. Snapping the Ravens' home winning streak and keeping the Steelers alive (Too bad it was all for naught). That's why Charlie Batch is an excellent backup, and Landry Jones, isn't.

Great job on Batch but I can give you the game where Jones saved the day vs the Cardinals. The offense wasn't doing worth shit until Jones came in and took over the game and won. They miss the playoffs if Vick stayed in the game.

Jones was a good back up, laughable fans think otherwise. He did his job when called upon. He wasn't perfect but what back up is perfect(Besides Foles last year)? they're called back ups for a reason.

Btw, quite ironic you brought up the Ravens game but the week before vs the Browns he threw 3 interceptions with 0 TD's.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Forget about Dobbs... I was looking forward to you taking snaps under center.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I want to !! bastards wont let me ...

I yelled to Tomlin he just ignored me ... he was plenty close enough to hear me too !!

but he just smiled and went on his way

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

LOL we have video of this on the internet

I want to !! bastards wont let me ...

I yelled to Tomlin he just ignored me ... he was plenty close enough to hear me too !!

but he just smiled and went on his way

I heard that he made you defend a blade of grass... is that true?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    LOL we have video of this on the internet

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7&&FORM=VRDGAR

I heard that he made you defend a blade of grass... is that true?

- - - Updated - - -

Mike said he didnt wanna risk me in mere training camp meaningless snaps ... waiting on the call

Mike said he didnt wanna risk me in mere training camp meaningless snaps ... waiting on the call

I sent him an email stating my support of you:
    obviously@weliveinourhopes.com

I sent him an email stating my support of you:
    obviously@weliveinourhopes.com
    LMAO ... I always knew you would have my back

LMAO ... I always knew you would have my back
    Always

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

James Harrison says you should hold out most of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    James Harrison says you should hold out most of the season.
    James is probably right ..... have to take care of my body haha