Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Artie Burns.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Welcome to the newest Steeler, Artie Burns.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...rns?id=2555344

Burns has been as successful a two-sport athlete as any football player has been in the last 20 years. He came to "The U" with a pedigree on the football field and the track, earning four-star recruit status while winning a state title in the 110 meter hurdles three times during his high school career (he had the top 110 meter and 300 meter hurdles times in the nation in his junior year). Burns translated that dual success in high school to the Hurricanes, winning All-American and All-Conference honors as a hurdler for the track and field squad and becoming one of the top corners in the ACC. Burns played in a reserve role as a freshman in 2013 (17 tackles, two sacks, three pass breakups) before becoming a starter in his sophomore year (40 tackles, six pass breakups). He flourished in 2015, intercepting six passes (most by a Miami player since Sean Taylor had 10 in 2003) and breaking up five others on his way to consensus second-team All-ACC honors.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Artie Burns.

It's been talked that he could go late in round 1 for a few weeks now.

He's one of those raw prospects the team likes to mold.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    It's been talked that he could go late in round 1 for a few weeks now.

He's one of those raw prospects the team likes to mold.
    Speed.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Hopefully they coach him up.

And too all the fans that are pissed, calm down. The guy has yet to play a down and you guys/gals are acting like he's an awful pick. Trust the team that's built Super Bowl winning teams.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

And too all the fans that are pissed, calm down. The guy has yet to play a down and you guys/gals are acting like he's an awful pick. Trust the team that's built Super Bowl winning teams.
    A voice of reason. The pick is made. All we can do is hope for the best.

IMO, the draft is a giant crapshoot anyway.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

Artie Burns, CB, Miami | Highlights
    The Steelers desperately needed corner help, so they made it happen with a long, athletic player many evaluators considered a top-three corner in the draft. His technique is an issue at times, and he’ll face questions about whether he can handle the Steelers’ zone-heavy coverage, but he had six interceptions last year in the ACC. The Steelers can utilize a deep defensive tackle class later in the second round. Thumbs up. -- Jeremy Fowler

His 33 inch arms really makes him an interesting prospect. He should push Cockrell for PT.

Daniel Jeremiah, Mayock & Bucky Brooks all had Artie Burns going in round 1 in their mock drafts....

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Sounds like a good kid, I wish him all the best.

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post

That was interesting. Want another interesting article on Burns ?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/28/nfl-dr...y-artie-burns/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Burns covers your tall WRs.
    Golson covers your shifty WRs.
    Gay covers the slot.

Compare that to last season. Yep, I'll take it.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, I hope he turns out to be awesome. What are we going to do, hope he sucks so we can say I told you so?

Still, most of the time they have gone with these fringe-of-the-radar or off-the-radar guys when players we all like are available ... the correct pick turns out to be one of the other players.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What are we going to do, hope he sucks so we can say I told you so?
    Some people are going to do just that. I know you're not one of them, SR, but there are people out there who will.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

these fringe-of-the-radar or off-the-radar guys when players we all like are available ...
    Shazier is the perfect example of this.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Hopefully they coach him up.

Burns is obviously a bust, notice how both words start with the letters bu?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Shazier is the perfect example of this.
    Shazier was more of a guy it seemed like we weren't going to get, but would've been on the radar if people had thought so. IIRC, some were calling him a top-10 kind of talent. Whereas Burns is off the radar in the other direction. More of the Jason Worilds type of WTF pick. Oh well, I hope it works out for us.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post

Wow. He is about to become an NFL play, and he spent a bunch of money on a watch and a couple other things. You've convinced me. The kid is a bust.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Burns is obviously a bust, notice how both words start with the letters bu?
    AB on offense.
    AB on defense.

It's science.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Shazier was more of a guy it seemed like we weren't going to get, but would've been on the radar if people had thought so. IIRC, some were calling him a top-10 kind of talent. Whereas Burns is off the radar in the other direction. More of the Jason Worilds type of WTF pick. Oh well, I hope it works out for us.
    Actually, I think Shazier was figure to go much later than the point we took him. I remember several saying that we could have traded down and still get him.

AML

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

I liked Burns as a prospect, but not at #25. So many other good players available there... I woulda taken Billings, Spence, Jack, Alexander, Butler, Kenny Clark. Hell, I woulda drafted Nkemdiche there over Burns.

But oh well. Hopefully the staff knows what they're doing here, because I don't foresee this guy seeing the field this year.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Wow. He is about to become an NFL player, and he spent a bunch of money on a watch and a couple other things. You've convinced me. The kid is a bust.
    on a watch and also a cross.

what a terrible guy...

Wow. He is about to become an NFL play, and he spent a bunch of money on a watch and a couple other things. You've convinced me. The kid is a bust.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post

Don't believe everything you read. Multiple reports say this story is utter garbage. Personally, who cares? It is his money he can do whatever he damn well pleases with it.

Actually, I think Shazier was figure to go much later than the point we took him. I remember several saying that we could have traded down and still get him.
    Yep. That is sort of what I was alluding to.

When Shazier was picked, similar comments were made (as the comments about Burns).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I love this talk every year about who could've traded down and still got such and such prospect. Who has a better read on where guys will go in the draft - Mel Kiper and other dudes in fancy suits on TV or the 32 NFL GM's and FO staffs? Does anyone really believe these guys don't talk shop with their peers?

Keep in mind that if Mayock and Kiper and others were the scouting genius that ESPN would have us believe, they would be running and NFL team - not talking about it on TV.

the Cowboys planned on taking Shazier with the next pick...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Does anyone really believe these guys don't talk shop with their peers?
    True

Denver contacted the Steelers, but a few teams were slotted to take Burns before 31. Ergo, the Steelers opted to stay put (and take their guy).

True

Denver contacted the Steelers, but a few teams were slotted to take Burns before 31. Ergo, the Steelers opted to stay put (and take their guy).
    Nope, panic pick. They freaked when the Bengals took a CB the pick before.

True

Exactly. I suspect, based on nothing other than my own random opinions, that the logic is about like this:

1. Burns was the favorite of the remaining CBs.
    2. A ton of the big name DT's are viewed in the scouting community as big ugly run pluggers. Classic 2 down guys. We all may not agree, but doesn't change the perception. At least from what I can tell from a tour around the Google machine.
    3. In the 2nd or 3rd round you are going to be able to get a guy like Hargreaves, Sheldon Day, or Nassib.

Long story short, I am starting to think that the Steelers are not in the market for a top 3 round DT. They are going to get a "rush" DE like Day or Nassib. Deploy McCullers as the classic 2 down NT and back him up with a later round pick. Maybe Henry?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the Cowboys planned on taking Shazier with the next pick...
    That's correct, they were even on the phone to pick Shazier until we picked him.

It's really simple folks, if you have a player, and you want him, you take him.