Thread: Since adding a TE, G, and DL, this could be a BPA type of draft

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Since adding a TE, G, and DL, this could be a BPA type of draft

RB for me is the top need right now. Free agency plugged some holes.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Since adding a TE, G, and DL, this could be a BPA type of draft

Jonathan Taylor could be there at #49, and would likely to be BPA.

I'm starting to look at the pass rushers in this class personally. I don't see Dupree being signed long term, so get his replacement ready.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They need to add more than one o-lineman, not only due to depth but also regression from multiple starters last year

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Jonathan Taylor could be there at #49, and would likely to be BPA.

I'm starting to look at the pass rushers in this class personally. I don't see Dupree being signed long term, so get his replacement ready.

Pass rushers go early. The Steelers used to be able to find a good one in round 3. Those days are gone.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Since adding a TE, G, and DL, this could be a BPA type of draft

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The Steelers used to be able to find a good one in round 3. Those days are gone.

Not true totally true. Carl Lawson, Danielle Hunter, Yannick Ngakoue, to name a few, are up and coming pass rushers all third round or later. It’s not like the Steelers have really made a huge effort to fill the pass rush needs with late round picks...they typically attempt do that in the early couple rounds...TJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Tuitt, Jones, Cam, Ziggy Hood, Woolley, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not true totally true. Carl Lawson, Danielle Hunter, Yannick Ngakoue, to name a few, are up and coming pass rushers all third round or later. It’s not like the Steelers have really made a huge effort to fill the pass rush needs with late round picks...they typically attempt do that in the early couple rounds...TJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Tuitt, Jones, Cam, Ziggy Hood, Woolley, etc.
    That's what Im saying, the Steelers used to be able to find pass rushers in round three ( Porter, Gildon, Vrabel ). Now we either pick them early.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Steelers roster: https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/

Steelers depth chart: https://www.steelers.com/team/depth-chart/

Based on these 2 visuals I don't see much change in positions of need across the board. OL lost Foster(34) and Finney(28), and added Stefan Wisniewski(31). If Wiz starts at LG and Feiler stays at RT, Feiler remains the lone backup at Guard. Need at OG has not changed at all, and IMO, best to get an IOL flexible prospect that can play at G/C. This can be upgraded in this draft. According to the depth chart Chuks backs up LT and Banner backs up Feiler. Decent at Tackle but not great and can be upgraded in this draft.

The DL was never much of a need this offseason, IMO. Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs, and McCullers. Lost Hargraves but added Wormley. And Mondeaux is still listed as a DE on the roster.

I think Safety still remains a priority. Fitz and Edmunds with Dangerfield/Allen and Kelley as the primary backups is not necessarily a hole at the position, but a good reason to upgrade depth. I don't know who Tray Matthews is on the current roster.

TE has improved, again IMO. McDonald and Gentry. Lost Vannett and added Ebron. Big upgrade for the passing game, changes nothing in the run game.

Adding Derek Watt as FB to the RB room is at best a lateral move with Nix's contract being terminated. This is an interesting position going into the draft because the room is full of younger RBs(6@26yrs old or younger) all in the 5'10"-6'3" and 220lbs-230lbs range.(Whyte is 205lbs) Is there a RB in this draft worthy of a high draft pick for what the Steelers need?

I believe the Steelers usually go with 10LBs on the 53. ILB has Bush, VW, UGIII, and Spillane, OLB has Watt, Dupree, Adeniyi, and Skipper. Seems the LB room is 2 players short. Maybe another FA and a draft pick, maybe.

The Steelers have had great success at drafting WRs. With the depth and strength in this draft at the WR position I hope to draft one. The roster still needs that "Z" WR with the speed to get deep quickly and force Safeties to back up.

CBs have Haden, Nelson, Sutton, Hilton, and Layne. Losing Burns creates a spot for one more on the 53 backing up Nelson. I don't know Myers who is on the roster.

By my count this puts OL, LB, and CB with roster spots open. Safety, TE, and WR with best chance to upgrade depth. QB, DL and RB as luxury picks, not need but 'if that guy falls to our pick' BPA position.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 03-25-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

as long as it's at RB, I'd be happy, lol, that and OL should be first off the board