Thread: Former NFL WR Steve Smith Sr. Calls Steelers’ Steven Nelson An Average CB; Tells Him To Ice Up

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Former NFL WR Steve Smith Sr. Calls Steelers’ Steven Nelson An Average CB; Tells Him To Ice Up

The war of words between Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Steven Nelson and former NFL wide receiver-turned-NFL Network analyst Steve Smith Sr. continues on.

In case you haven’t been following along, a little over a month ago Smith listed the play of Nelson last season when he was with the Kansas City Chiefs as one of the reasons why that team didn’t make it to the Super Bowl.

“The biggest game of their [the Chiefs] career, the Patriots, [the] defense didn’t show up,” Smith said on ‘GMFB’ on the NFL Network when talking about what the Chiefs need to do this season to compete for a championship. “They got Tyrann Mathieu, they let go of Eric Berry, they let go of Steve Nelson, who he really didn’t cover very many people anyway. So, they really have to get some good guys in the back end in the secondary, because if they dont, they are going to find some trouble.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/fo...him-to-ice-up/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Former NFL WR Steve Smith Sr. Calls Steelers’ Steven Nelson An Average CB; Tells Him To Ice Up

PFF KC Chiefs
    @PFF_Chiefs

-20 forced incompletions (T-2nd, CB)
    -4 interceptions (T-3rd)
    -53.1% reception allowed % (T-8th)
    -82.8 passer rating against (24th)
    -2018 Grades: 72.1 overall, 71.2 coverage (both 28th)

https://www.steelcityunderground.com...-the-steelers/

Re: Former NFL WR Steve Smith Sr. Calls Steelers’ Steven Nelson An Average CB; Tells Him To Ice Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    PFF KC Chiefs
    @PFF_Chiefs

-20 forced incompletions (T-2nd, CB)
    -4 interceptions (T-3rd)
    -53.1% reception allowed % (T-8th)
    -82.8 passer rating against (24th)
    -2018 Grades: 72.1 overall, 71.2 coverage (both 28th)

https://www.steelcityunderground.com...-the-steelers/
    Nelson is above average ..... 82.8 as a passing rating against in the NFL of today is very good.Every CB can give a TD, especially against Brady.

Also, the biggest problem for the chiefs was their run defense .... Yes the chiefs were 31st for the yards against the pass, but the opposing teams tried the most passes against them ..... Their pass defense was 12-13th for YPA against and passing rating against.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

An average CB is something that will do us a lot of good compared to last year. Even if we overpaid, closing the blatant exploit that was available to opposing offenses at CB2 is like getting rid of a reverse Pro Bowler.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Well, from what I recall, KC did give up a lot of points last year. Obviously, Nelson wasn't the only reason for that. Smith does kinda give him a back handed remark insinuating it though.
    I just hope he plays well for us. Not just better than Burns or Sensabaugh... 'cause that ain't saying much.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

In related news, Current Steeler fan GoSlash27 calls ESPN's Steve Smith Sr. "a washed up attention whore"; Tells him to slather on the Ben Gay.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Steve Smith also (erroneously) ripped Josh Rosen for being unprofessional. So...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'll never forget Steve Smith's beef with Mike Mitchell all because of a hit, although the hit wasn't from Mitchell but from Lawrence Timmons.

Can't blame Smith for not going after Timmons, he was a bad man.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'll never forget Steve Smith's beef with Mike Mitchell all because of a hit, although the hit wasn't from Mitchell but from Lawrence Timmons.

Can't blame Smith for not going after Timmons, he was a bad man.
    I respect Steve Smith the player, he was a bad man also.

Alex Kozora

@Alex_Kozora

Vance McDonald makes pretty one handed snag over Steven Nelson. TD. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He’s not lying. Nelson was nothing special with the Chiefs...he was better than Burns but not as good as Haden so that would make him a 3-4 CB at best. Average.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He’s not lying. Nelson was nothing special with the Chiefs...he was better than Burns but not as good as Haden so that would make him a 3-4 CB at best. Average.
    I do not think there are 64 better corner than Nelson in the NFL right now.

So, probably not a number one Corner, but he can be a good number 2 CB, and this is what he going to be with the Steelers.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I do not think there are 64 better corner than Nelson in the NFL right now.

So, probably not a number one Corner, but he can be a good number 2 CB, and this is what he going to be with the Steelers.
    I would rank him as a low end number two, high end three if I were making a list. I’d also rank Haden as a very low end one or very high end two.

Bottom line for me is that I don’t think Nelson is going to be the answer. Hopefully that’s wrong, very wrong, but as I see it now, that backend of the D is still a major weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I would rank him as a low end number two, high end three if I were making a list. I’d also rank Haden as a very low end one or very high end two.

Bottom line for me is that I don’t think Nelson is going to be the answer. Hopefully that’s wrong, very wrong, but as I see it now, that backend of the D is still a major weakness...
    Maybe, but if Nelson performs like last year with KC(just look at his stats in post 2 in this thread), it'll help the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Nelson just needs to be serviceable while Layne gets up to speed. Maybe for this season OR maybe Layne is a very fast learner and is ready to take over by midseason. Either way Nelson is an upgrade over what happened last season at this point. The hope seems to be that Burns somehow makes a 180 from last year and becomes closer to what he was drafted to be. I don't like the odds of that. Brian Allen hasn't made any strides toward being the outside starter so Nelson beats him out. Sutton has been an inside/outside backup which is great, but hasn't been special at either. The move to Nelson is an improvement and was a good upgrade. Time will tell if he flourishes here and earns a long term job. Nobody wanted to throw a parade when Hilton got here but he has been the best fit of all, IMO. Steve Smith just enjoys talking other players down and getting those 'highlight' quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Maybe, but if Nelson performs like last year with KC(just look at his stats in post 2 in this thread), it'll help the Steelers.
    I guess to be honest and real...anything would help...lol

Steven Nelson’s big play ability is on full display. He is always in a position to make a play and has really good ball skills. He had a show out day today.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/fa...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Nelson was on my watch list as a 3rd rounder in the draft in 2015 and I am happy he ended up here. Steelers went Senquez Golson and Sammie Coates in R2 and R3 that year. Nelson showed good technique, quickness, competitiveness in his Oregon St tape and at the Senior Bowl. I think he is a slot guy playing the #2CB, but that has been done here before with DeShea Townsend, Will Gay, etc.

He is a solid CB, but just not tall. Same as Steve Smith was to WR's