Thread: Ben Roethlisberger says he talked to 49ers about playing in 2022; Steelers legend explains why he declined

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben Roethlisberger says he talked to 49ers about playing in 2022; Steelers legend explains why he declined

Ben Roethlisberger on the 49ers? It could've happened. The former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback said he had discussions with San Francisco during the 2022 season.

Roethlisberger obviously did not take them up on the offer and decided remaining retired was the best choice for him. While speaking with Mark Madden on 105.9 The X, he discussed the 49ers reaching out and how he made his decision not to join their team.

more on this

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...y-he-declined/

Re: Ben Roethlisberger says he talked to 49ers about playing in 2022; Steelers legend explains why he declined

Also this....

Ben Roethlisberger almost missed Super Bowl XLV for the most bizarre reason

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/i-...oard-accident/

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Ben Roethlisberger says he talked to 49ers about playing in 2022; Steelers legend explains why he declined

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Also this....

Ben Roethlisberger almost missed Super Bowl XLV for the most bizarre reason

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/i-...oard-accident/
    Fun read. We all put the blame on Mendenhall for that loss, but I forgot about the pick-six on Ben.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

His podcast is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Fun read. We all put the blame on Mendenhall for that loss, but I forgot about the pick-six on Ben.
    it's a world full of double standards and life isn't fair. people are more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the 2-time super bowl winner, than some 2nd/3rd year guy who hasn't had the same greatness. he'll always be known as the fumbling machine. And ben despite throwing a pick 6 will always be a legend in Pittsburgh. It's the way life goes lol.
    Last edited by DuckHodges; 03-22-2023 at 03:25 PM.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would’ve loved to see him play on that Niners Team. They may have made the Super Bowl…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    That's true. But I think the other argument could be that as you're getting to the end of the game, mistakes become a lot bigger. So, Mendenhall could have fumbled and a GB player taken the ball into the endzone, but if it was towards the beginning of the game, and Ben R. threw an INT in the fourth quarter while we were up and driving for another goal, we'd be blaming him rather than Mendenhall.

You are right though, that did add 7 points to GB's score and you can't discount it.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Ben also failed to move the offense in the 2 minute drill at the end of the game so there's 2 whammies against him. But with that said, because of his 2 previous SB wins he's always gonna be given the benefit of the doubt.

During the pick 6 in that super bowl Ben was hit by a packers players,so it did not help...The pick 6 is not 100% on him

I never blamed much Mendenhall for this loss,it was not the only reason of the loss of the steelers but the problem with Mendenhall is many other things,who is the biggest reason why he is so hated now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Ben also failed to move the offense in the 2 minute drill at the end of the game so there's 2 whammies against him. But with that said, because of his 2 previous SB wins he's always gonna be given the benefit of the doubt.
    Manny Sanders was the #3 receiver and he got hurt. That was a big loss as. AB wasn't as good at that point.

Also David Johnson whiffed on the block of Mendys fumble so that certainly didnt help

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

This is crazy the steelers make the super bowl with Jonathan Scott as LT but the o-line in 2008 was worst....

This is crazy the steelers make the super bowl with Jonathan Scott as LT but the o-line in 2008 was worst....
    Rollerskates Jon Scott, my favorite player of all time

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

During the pick 6 in that super bowl Ben was hit by a packers players,so it did not help...The pick 6 is not 100% on him
    Pouncey was injured, and I forget who the backup was, but he was...not helpful on that play.

While we're talking about Super Bowl 45, I'd like to ask this board a question. I spent 16 years reading and posting on another Steeler message board, but I became increasingly dissatisfied until I couldn't take it anymore and had to stop going there. The problem for me is that posters there are so freakin' negative and constantly trashing Tomlin. It just got to be over the top for me.

One thing they have been killing Tomlin for yea verily ever since 2011 was something Tomlin said after Super Bowl 45, something about how the Steelers "eased in" to the game. Anyone remember that quote?

Anyway, the outrage is thunderous. Why would Tomlin ease into a super bowl? Especially against Aaron Rodgers who you know is going to score points. You have to come out passing downfield in order to get on top first.

So, despite Tomlin's quote, did Tomlin/the Steelers actually "ease in" to 45, or was that just a figure of speech by Tomlin? If they did, would there be a justifiable reason for that? Should Tomlin be criticized for that, possibly even blamed for the loss, or is this a nothingburger?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    While we're talking about Super Bowl 45, I'd like to ask this board a question. I spent 16 years reading and posting on another Steeler message board, but I became increasingly dissatisfied until I couldn't take it anymore and had to stop going there. The problem for me is that posters there are so freakin' negative and constantly trashing Tomlin. It just got to be over the top for me.

One thing they have been killing Tomlin for yea verily ever since 2011 was something Tomlin said after Super Bowl 45, something about how the Steelers "eased in" to the game. Anyone remember that quote?

Anyway, the outrage is thunderous. Why would Tomlin ease into a super bowl? Especially against Aaron Rodgers who you know is going to score points. You have to come out passing downfield in order to get on top first.

So, despite Tomlin's quote, did Tomlin/the Steelers actually "ease in" to 45, or was that just a figure of speech by Tomlin? If they did, would there be a justifiable reason for that? Should Tomlin be criticized for that, possibly even blamed for the loss, or is this a nothingburger?
    My memory from that game gets hazier every year. I can’t recall an easing in. I feel like Ben’s pick was a big shot from their side of the field.

What I do remember is that Rodgers came into his own that playoff run. Like really became a “holy crap this dude is unstoppable “. I distinctly remember him making at least two throws that were beyond perfect and borderline unbelievable.

That and the late game confusion at WR for Steelers due to injury have always been my keys to the game. Steelers have even 2 WRs playing their regular spots, I believe Ben authors a final drive victory. Or maybe if a vet WR with more experience had been available off the bench. I just remember and this could be WAY off, that Ben looked frustrated at how several routes were run at the end.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Pouncey was injured, and I forget who the backup was, but he was...not helpful on that play.
    The Big Legursky got pummeled on that pick 6.

Also Troy was hurt (played but not 100%) so Rodgers had a field day

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This is the only board I participate in currently. I don't know how bad it is at the other message board you are referring to, but I suspect it won't be too much better here. Once the season begins and traffic here starts to pick up, the Tomlin haters come out of the woodwork to join some of the mainstays.

Anyway....welcome to the board!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ok...some of this is coming back.

Ben had to short arm the throw and was hit because Legursky got wrecked. I thought it was Essex...but either way...that lead to an INT. Was it a pick 6? I know I could look up the gamebook somewhere...but why?

And I remember that Rodgers dropped one in just over Ike's fingertips on what was perfect coverage for a big play. I think he had another big play throw that I'm not sure he completes it again if he got another 10 chances.

Woodson went out for the Packers too I think. I remember that some were talking about seeing whether Troy or Woodson could impact more and then neither was able to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ok...some of this is coming back.

Ben had to short arm the throw and was hit because Legursky got wrecked. I thought it was Essex...but either way...that lead to an INT. Was it a pick 6? I know I could look up the gamebook somewhere...but why?

And I remember that Rodgers dropped one in just over Ike's fingertips on what was perfect coverage for a big play. I think he had another big play throw that I'm not sure he completes it again if he got another 10 chances.

Woodson went out for the Packers too I think. I remember that some were talking about seeing whether Troy or Woodson could impact more and then neither was able to play.
    Watching the play again it looke like it was Kemoeatu that got pushed back into Ben.

Ben also threw a really bad pick again in the 2nd quarter intended for Wallace who was covered clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    This is the only board I participate in currently. I don't know how bad it is at the other message board you are referring to, but I suspect it won't be too much better here. Once the season begins and traffic here starts to pick up, the Tomlin haters come out of the woodwork to join some of the mainstays.

Anyway....welcome to the board!
    Thanks