Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 13: Ravens Round 1

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Week 13: Ravens Round 1

Do people watch football? Or just recycle old and outdated takes?

Jackson is a good QB. Maybe he gets there in a different way. But he’s there. It’s just wrong to state otherwise.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don't think Huntley is Lamar Jackson or anything, but he is a bigger threat to us specifically than the last couple of QBs we faced because those guys were statues, while Huntley can be an efficient passer as well as a threat with his legs. That kind of QB always gives us problems. We absolutely can not count on our defense to just shut down the Ravens' offense because they have a backup QB in there. Our offense will have to put together scoring drives that end in TDs against a pretty good defense.

This game will be tough because the Ravens are always tough against us, and because we're not a team that dominates for four quarters against anyone.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Lamar Jackson is nowhere near a "scrub". He's an incredible athlete and must be accounted for every time he steps on the field.. He's just not a good Quarterback. He has his clear (and glaring) limitations that he overcomes with his mobility and athleticism, and Greg Roman tries very hard to hide away. He doesn't throw the ball very well, and is mediocre when he is forced to make throws. There's a reason why the Ravens aren't bending over backward to break the bank for him despite an MVP campaign in 2019.

Steelers fans have lived through the years of Kordell Stewart. Howitzer arm, could run like nobody else, but when the playoffs came and he was required to do a little more than what he did, he consistently faceplanted. His flaws consistently showed up and magnified. Kordell was not a sharp thrower of the football and made bad decisions resulting in lots of turnovers.

Now Tyler Huntley being "better" than Lamar doesn't say much, Huntley isn't great but he is a better in terms of quarterbacking and I see him as more of a danger to the Steelers.
    The reason why Lamar Jackson don't have a contract is because Jackson want a fully guaranted contract....Compared Jackson to Kordell is way off

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Jackson is a good QB. Maybe he gets there in a different way. But he’s there. It’s just wrong to state otherwise.
    I don't think....

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don't think Huntley is Lamar Jackson or anything, but he is a bigger threat to us specifically than the last couple of QBs we faced because those guys were statues, while Huntley can be an efficient passer as well as a threat with his legs. That kind of QB always gives us problems. We absolutely can not count on our defense to just shut down the Ravens' offense because they have a backup QB in there. Our offense will have to put together scoring drives that end in TDs against a pretty good defense.

This game will be tough because the Ravens are always tough against us, and because we're not a team that dominates for four quarters against anyone.
    Huntley was just pathetic in the last game of the regular season against us last year....Only 13 points even if the ravens had almost 250 rushing yards

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I like to say Jackson sucks as a QB just to troll the Lamar fans...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think it's an overreaction to the hype that he's a top 3 QB. I personally don't think he's anywhere near that level. I'd put him around 10-11. Honestly, he doesn't strike fear in me when we play the Ravens. I hope they re-sign him for a boatload of guaranteed money.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I like to say Jackson sucks as a QB just to troll the Lamar fans...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think it's an overreaction to the hype that he's a top 3 QB. I personally don't think he's anywhere near that level. I'd put him around 10-11. Honestly, he doesn't strike fear in me when we play the Ravens. I hope they re-sign him for a boatload of guaranteed money.
    Both fair and reasonable positions to take.

I wouid put LJ at around 5 or so. But I can see where people go lower. For me, a guy trapped in a system with a bad OC (to be fair, Roman was the OC that younger Lamar needed but now he's holding developed Lamar back) and inferior weapons that has made the progress he has made each season, is a really really good QB.

But that he sucks or that Huntley is better. Those are just uninformed and outdated bad opinions.

The most fun thing that could happen right now is if a magical genie could put Lamar Jackson on the 49ers. The video game level fireworks that would ensue would be so much fun to watch!

For me Lamar is around 5 to 10

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    For me Lamar is around 5 to 10
    Closer to 10 for me, like I stated earlier, his accuracy is way off this season. Don’t know what the reason is, but when teams shut down the run game and force LJ to beat them, it rarely happens or is really close. If we are to beat the Ravens, we have to focus on stopping the run game and getting our offense in the EZ.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Closer to 10 for me, like I stated earlier, his accuracy is way off this season. Don’t know what the reason is, but when teams shut down the run game and force LJ to beat them, it rarely happens or is really close. If we are to beat the Ravens, we have to focus on stopping the run game and getting our offense in the EZ.
    He's Kordell Stewart. When the run game is working and you have to account for it, he can burn you. If you have the run shut down and he's forced to win with his arm, he's less than good. Overall I mean he's a good player and will get you to the playoffs consistently but I don't see him winning a SB.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

You guys are generous. No way he's top ten.
    Right off the top of head of who I ( and I can't stress that enough) think it's better

Allen
    Mahomes
    Brady
    Rogers
    Burrow
    Tua
    Hurts
    Prescott
    Watson
    Cousins
    Tannenhill (sp...lol)
    Stafford
    Then maybe Lamar

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    He's Kordell Stewart. When the run game is working and you have to account for it, he can burn you. If you have the run shut down and he's forced to win with his arm, he's less than good. Overall I mean he's a good player and will get you to the playoffs consistently but I don't see him winning a SB.
    It's very hard to shutdown a running game when you have a QB as Lamar Jackson as QB since this running game has so many options and Lamar opens the middle for the RBs because of his mobility....The Ravens had like 43 games in a row with at least 100 rushing yards at one point, the most by a team since the Steelers in the 1970s... The Ravens' problem since last year is that their RB group is one of the worst in the league due to injuries

Jackson is a much better passer than Kordell was and it's not close

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    You guys are generous. No way he's top ten.
    Right off the top of head of who I ( and I can't stress that enough) think it's better

Allen
    Mahomes
    Brady
    Rogers
    Burrow
    Tua
    Hurts
    Prescott
    Watson
    Cousins
    Tannenhill (sp...lol)
    Stafford
    Then maybe Lamar
    Tannenhill,Cousins? please!

QB as Watson did not play since 2020 in the regular season before the last game,we will see how well he will performs with the time with the browns

Hurts and Tua are great this year,but this is their first year of elite play,so we will see...Rodgers and Brady are not played well this year,maybe they are too old now....Stafford has a down year too.Prescott is very good but Lamar is a better playmaker.I agree for Burrow,Mahomes and Allen

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Tannenhill,Cousins? please!

QB as Watson did not play since 2020 in the regular season before the last game,we will see how well he will performs with the time with the browns

Hurts and Tua are great this year,but this is their first year of elite play,so we will see...Rodgers and Brady are not played well this year,maybe they are too old now....Stafford has a down year too.Prescott is very good but Lamar is a better playmaker.I agree for Burrow,Mahomes and Allen
    Tannenhill and Cousins both have a higher career QB rating...

You can't ignore the legs of Lamar Jackson.....

You can't ignore the legs of Lamar Jackson.....
    That I agree with, none of the others that I have listed can touch Lamar's athletic ability. I just think that they all are better passers of the football.

No. They don't. Cousins does - by about a point. Tannehill does not.

Tannehill: 92 -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...T/TannRy00.htm
    Jackson: 96.7 -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...J/JackLa00.htm

Also, if QB rating is your ranking metric, how do you place multiple QBs with lower career QB rating ahead (Tua, Hurts, and Stafford)?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Is anybody really surprised that Jackson is injured? You play an offense where your QB is involved in the run game often and defenders get hits on the QB. Over a few years the hits on the QB accumulate and your QB should eventually become more of a passer and less of a runner. Running your QB is not a recipe for long term health and success in the NFL.

The thing is that Huntley can still run the offense effectively enough to win this game, but maybe the Steelers get more hits on the QB and the Steelers Offense can somehow muster 21 points or more.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah RBs have a shelf life of 5 years, on average, but we think Lamar is going to play till 40? Lol. The cumulative effect of taking hits like a RB does will shorten his career dramatically.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Is anybody really surprised that Jackson is injured? You play an offense where your QB is involved in the run game often and defenders get hits on the QB. Over a few years the hits on the QB accumulate and your QB should eventually become more of a passer and less of a runner. Running your QB is not a recipe for long term health and success in the NFL.

The thing is that Huntley can still run the offense effectively enough to win this game, but maybe the Steelers get more hits on the QB and the Steelers Offense can somehow muster 21 points or more.
    Players like RGIII could be the example of this rule... not the exception.
    I'm not surprised either. Honestly, just thought it would have happened earlier.

What is everyone's expectations on Josh Allen injury? He runs about the same # of times per season as Jackson.
    What about Daniel Jones, Justin Fields, and Jalen Hurts?

I am not sure I buy into the injury story-line. Jackson based on the highlight I saw, was hurt scrambling around in the pocket trying to get free to pass.
    RG III was hurt rolling out to pass. And mostly passed throughout the final game that his knee disintegrated during.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think he’s Top-7 right now and going forward (immediate future) for me.

In this order:

Pickett
    Mahomes
    Hurts
    Allen
    Herbert
    Burrow
    Jackson
    Rodgers

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Per ESPN: On Sunday, Jackson was hurt on the final play of the first quarter when he was sacked from behind by Broncos linebacker Jonathon Cooper. It appeared as if Jackson's left knee was driven into the ground as Cooper landed on top of his back.

Most QB’s that rush on designed run plays are not injured being hit while rushing. Jackson got injured last year. Also during a sack.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think he’s Top-7 right now and going forward (immediate future) for me.

In this order:

Pickett
    Mahomes
    Hurts
    Allen
    Herbert
    Burrow
    Jackson
    Rodgers
    by the end of KP’s rookie contract

QBs I'd rather have long-term than Lamar:

Allen
    Burrow
    Watson (on-field only)
    Pickett (projection)
    Mahomes
    Herbert
    Hurts
    Prescott
    Lawrence

QBs that are playing better than Lamar (not listed above):

Cousins
    Geno

QBs close to Lamar's level of play (not mentioned above):

Kyler
    Fields
    Carr

I didn't even mention Brady, Stafford or Rodgers. My point: Lamar is not worth a $250M fully guaranteed contract.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

What is everyone's expectations on Josh Allen injury? He runs about the same # of times per season as Jackson.
    What about Daniel Jones, Justin Fields, and Jalen Hurts?

I am not sure I buy into the injury story-line. Jackson based on the highlight I saw, was hurt scrambling around in the pocket trying to get free to pass.
    RG III was hurt rolling out to pass. And mostly passed throughout the final game that his knee disintegrated during.
    Allen is built differently than Lamar, he is more like a big bruising back compared to Lamar, who is more like a scat back. I don’t think Allen will keep up the way he runs very much longer. He needs to learn to slide more often. If he doesn’t, he will have a shorter career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Allen is built differently than Lamar, he is more like a big bruising back compared to Lamar, who is more like a scat back. I don’t think Allen will keep up the way he runs very much longer. He needs to learn to slide more often. If he doesn’t, he will have a shorter career.
    I have no idea if this is true, but the Ravens list Lamar at 230. Bills list Allen at 237.

I’ve been hearing about how running QBs will have short careers and too many injuries my whole football watching life. And then it just doesn’t usually happen. And when it does it’s on passing plays.

Is Jackson worth $250 guaranteed? No idea. Thankfully I don’t have to decide that.

I do know that the idea that he’s a worse QB than Huntley is dumb.

And I’m not sure these other stories we all tell ourselves about “running” QBs hold up. Especially when those QBs progress as a passer. Lamar has done that.

For the past two seasons, 24 games, Lamar has 33 TDs and 20 Ints. Not elite. He had one great year - 2019, followed by a good year - 2020. Otherwise, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    My point: Lamar is not worth a $250M fully guaranteed contract.
    No Player is…

Moving forward, most projections have the NFL salary cap increasing...by a lot. $225 million in 2023 and $255 million in 2024 seem like reasonable figures based on the various projections/guesses out there.

QBs now get paid $45 million in average annual value. Teams do funny things with the various yearly cap hits. For reference, Rodgers gets $50 million and Carr gets $40 million. I think it is reasonable to assume that Jackson is going to ask for somewhere in between those numbers.

So...is guaranteeing about 10% of your salary cap for the next 10 years worth it? Based on what the offense looked like against the Broncos without Jackson? I think the answer has to be "Yes". What is their other choice? Start over at the QB position with a roster that is ready to win right now and is designed to "work" on offense with Jackson and not "Insert QB Here"?

Say they let Jackson walk. Goff could be the "best" veteran on the market. Goff would be very bad in system where his best WR is Devin Duvernay...

Moving forward, most projections have the NFL salary cap increasing...by a lot. $225 million in 2023 and $255 million in 2024 seem like reasonable figures based on the various projections/guesses out there.

QBs now get paid $45 million in average annual value. Teams do funny things with the various yearly cap hits. For reference, Rodgers gets $50 million and Carr gets $40 million. I think it is reasonable to assume that Jackson is going to ask for somewhere in between those numbers.

So...is guaranteeing about 10% of your salary cap for the next 10 years worth it? Based on what the offense looked like against the Broncos without Jackson? I think the answer has to be "Yes". What is their other choice? Start over at the QB position with a roster that is ready to win right now and is designed to "work" on offense with Jackson and not "Insert QB Here"?

Say they let Jackson walk. Goff could be the "best" veteran on the market. Goff would be very bad in system where his best WR is Devin Duvernay...
    That money that Rodgers and Carr gets isn't guaranteed money though. No QB is worth $250M fully guaranteed. Maybe $50M in "contract speak" but fully guaranteed? No way.