Thread: Tomlin’s loyalty binds to Butler, Fichtner

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tomlin’s loyalty binds to Butler, Fichtner

Mike Tomlin said earlier this week he intends to look at any and all changes he can make this offseason to ensure the Steelers don’t miss the playoffs again in 2019.
    That could include a number of changes in personnel, how the Steelers do things, and what coaches they do it with.

Two things that likely won’t change — unless Tomlin gets an ultimatum from Art Rooney II — are his offensive and defensive coordinators.

Tomlin is loyal to offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner and defensive coordinator Keith Butler. And adding some outside ideas could be something Rooney tells Tomlin is necessary, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, which has struggled to keep up with the offense despite an influx of first-round draft picks every season since 2013.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...tler-fichtner/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Tomlin’s loyalty binds to Butler, Fichtner

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Mike Tomlin said earlier this week he intends to look at any and all changes he can make this offseason to ensure the Steelers don’t miss the playoffs again in 2019.
    That could include a number of changes in personnel, how the Steelers do things, and what coaches they do it with.

Two things that likely won’t change — unless Tomlin gets an ultimatum from Art Rooney II — are his offensive and defensive coordinators.

Tomlin is loyal to offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner and defensive coordinator Keith Butler. And adding some outside ideas could be something Rooney tells Tomlin is necessary, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, which has struggled to keep up with the offense despite an influx of first-round draft picks every season since 2013.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...tler-fichtner/
    Don't have an account. Does Dale Lolley offer any specifics or details?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm fine w/Fichtner. He just needs to not completely abandon the running game even though they can actually run the ball.

Butler has had 4 years. He can go and take the gum chewer w/him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Don't have an account. Does Dale Lolley offer any specifics or details?
    He pretty much writes about the rather long history the three of them have together. Also takes up Tomlin's roll in the defense the last two seasons and that could be part of the problem with the defense. He said Butler is involved with the game planning and does some play calling but Tomlin can and does overrule him in critical situations

That has been pretty much what i have been saying all along. If Tomlin and Butler are both knee deep in the defense, how do they fire Butler?

Looks like another year of linebackers on WR's

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    He just needs to not completely abandon the running game even though they can actually run the ball.
    I'd blame that more on Tomlin. He's not calling plays directly, but often overrides Fichtner AFA what type of play to call. Tomlin's not a fan of maintaining balance.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I think Butler will be DC in 2019 unless AJRII steps in.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

In his chat today Ed Bouchette says he thinks Butler (and apparently Danny Smith as well) stays

It looks like mirror window dressing when it comes to changes in the Steeler staff....what do you think?
    Ed Bouchette: The fans won't be satisfied until he throws more overboard, right? I don't see that happening. He changed 40 percent of the defensive staff last year, now chopped another. He fired Todd Haley last year, promoted Fichtner to OC and hired a new WR coach to replace one who retired. Contrary to popular opinion, that is plenty of change in the staff....

Is Keith Butler's job as DC safe, or is there still hope that he will be asked to move on?
    Ed Bouchette: I believe Keith Butler will be the defensive coordinator in 2019.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/01/08/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-01-08-19/stories/201901080086

Maybe AJRII said fix it with whoever you want and if it does not get fixed in 2019 Butler will not be the only one looking for new job

But Steelers may be planning to add a coach in addition to filling the OLB and RB coaching vacancies

The Steelers are in the market for two assistant coaches — and possibly a third — but they are also considering expanding their staff and adding an additional full-time assistant.

It is unclear what position or area the Steelers will address with an additional assistant, but it is among the items coach Mike Tomlin is exploring as he wraps up postseason evaluations with his staff.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201901080101

Hopefully any new coaching position will be filled with someone to provide a clue for Tomlin when he throws the challenge flag

Not surprising at all, with Tomlin and Butler joined at the hip and both knee deep in the defense, how could you possibly fire one and not the other?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'm fine w/Fichtner. He just needs to not completely abandon the running game even though they can actually run the ball.

Butler has had 4 years. He can go and take the gum chewer w/him.
    I think we can bank on a few sticking around.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I'm actually cool with giving Butler 1 more year. The defense was getting better until Shazier got hurt. Unfortunately they had no plan for that. Big League Chew on The other hand has to go.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I'm actually cool with giving Butler 1 more year. The defense was getting better until Shazier got hurt. Unfortunately they had no plan for that. Big League Chew on The other hand has to go.

Well, one almost has to. It could have very well been Tomlin who was putting linebackers on #1 receivers all season and all along everyone was blaming Butler, myself included.