Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Lawrence, Wilson, Fields will be the top 3 draft picks IMO. Could honestly be a situation like the 2004 draft, with 3 solid QB's in the draft that could lead a franchise for a decade. McShay has Wilson ahead of Fields, so if Fields drops close to that, I would trade up for sure.

I am with you in that I am not sure of the arm strength of Trask and Jones will be worth taking early. I think Trey Lance and Jamie Newman start coming into the conversation at middle to bottom of the first.
    We agree on 6/7 of those player assessments* ... which isn’t bad considering people rarely agree with anyone on everything.

*(we disagree about Fields)

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    so you're all about equality and every person should be treated equal?
    Im not all about anything. People should be judged on actions and merit including experience and track record. Not skin color or gender.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Im not all about anything. People should be judged on actions and merit including experience and track record. Not skin color or gender.
    I agree 100%, unfortunately our world isn't quite there yet.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There are 7 QBs who could possibly get drafted in R1:
    Lawrence
    Wilson
    Fields
    Lance
    Jones
    Trask
    Newman

If teams like the Jets, Lions, or Falcons select a QB, their current starters might be traded.

SUMMATION:
    There is going to be a lot of new faces at the QB position around the league.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Future QB of the Steelers is...

If it’s not Ben, Rudolph and Dobson, it’s gonna be Rudolph, Dobson and Duck. Remember, this organization never makes drastic changes and always gives their guys a chance. They’ll probably wind up drafting OL or LB. it’s what they do,

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

OPTION 1 - Trading up:
    R1: 740
    R2: 350

R3: 155
    Comp: 100

R4: 50

1090 R1 & R2 ... 14th overall pick (Vikings)
    1245 R1, R2, R3 ... 11th overall (Giants)
    1345 R1, R2, R3, Comp ... 9th overall (Broncos)
    1400 R1, R2, R3, Comp, R4 ... 8th overall (Panthers)

The Lions (7), Panthers, and Broncos couid all take a QB. If we wanted to move ahead of them, we would need to get up to #6. We don’t have quite enough draft capital... then again, if the Eagles are willing, nothing is set in stone.

Option 2 -
    Trading back with Buffalo:
    -swap R1 picks (we move back to 32)
    -acquire R2 pick (we get an extra pick)
    -swap R3 picks (we move back to 95)

*32: Jamie Newman, QB, Wake Forest
    55: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
    *64: Landon Dickerson, OC/OG, ‘Bama
    *95: Chase Myers, OG/OC, Ohio State
    R3 (comp): Michael Carter, RB, UNC
    R4-R7: DT, CB, DT, CB

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

trade back for more picks, never seen it happen before even though it's talked about every year. Why not in 2021?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    actually, it has to be a minority candidate. he or she don't have to be black.
    Any mention of minorities getting fair treatment, given the history, triggers him into angry rants about blacks. But, its pretty much on brand.

A lot of Steeler fans didnt want DeShawn Watson in the draft. There was a hypothetical thread on one board that if he dropped to the Steelers, should they pick him. I think a lot of the negativity had to do with opinions such as that...not the fact he put up around 1000 passing yards in the 2 championship games against Alabama.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Any mention of minorities getting fair treatment, given the history, triggers him into angry rants about blacks. But, its pretty much on brand.

A lot of Steeler fans didnt want DeShawn Watson in the draft. There was a hypothetical thread on one board that if he dropped to the Steelers, should they pick him. I think a lot of the negativity had to do with opinions such as that...not the fact he put up around 1000 passing yards in the 2 championship games against Alabama.
    Most Steelers fans didn't want Watson cause Ben still look decent then. Quit trying to play the race card that Steeler fans are racist!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Funny, I do recall saying Id take Lamar Jackson out of any qbs in his draft, and last year I wanted to take a gamble on jalen Hurts. Nice try though, painting those that don’t agree with you as racist in a passive aggressive way. Disagreeing with Rooney rule and affirmative action hardly a rant on blacks. Actually the opposite, I believe it’s detrimental to minorities. Who knows if Im right. I also believe transgenders should compete against the same sex as they were born, regardless of pronoun they wish to be called. Let me guess, now I'm a sexist in your self righteous opinion. Not that I give a shit what you think. I can see you live behind a facade.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Nce Hijack of the point of the thread putting you're political views into it El Gonzo.Take that crap to the other forum on here!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Nce Hijack of the point of the thread putting you're political views into it El Gonzo.Take that crap to the other forum on here!
    The self proclaimed smartest guy on forum does what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    The self proclaimed smartest guy on forum does what he wants.
    I see it again and will call him out on it again. Mods should do something about it and don't belong on the main board.

Hawaiian is a crap disturber as well and made this political. Go back to the other board and start crap daily fighting with posters like you do! Keep the main board here about Steeler football!
    Last edited by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue; 01-13-2021 at 03:30 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

While the end of the 2020 NFL season is still several weeks away, the 2021 mock draft season is well underway. Several initial major media draftnik mock drafts are slowly trickling out and on Tuesday, Dane Brugler of The Athletic released another offering with this one encompassing the first two rounds. To cut right to the chase, Brugler has the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting Alabama quarterback Mac Jones in the first round at 24th overall and Washington cornerback Elijah Molden in the second round at 55th overall.
    Below is what Brugler wrote about regarding the Steelers possibly selecting Jones in the first round:
    https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/br...ound-offering/

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I just think Lawrence is going to be a bust.

Why? He's probably the best QB prospect in the past ten years. He has it all, and proved it vs. good competition?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I'm sold on Mac Jones now and also like the TE for OS.

We pick 24th. The secret on Jones is out. New England might pick him 15th.

We could be looking at Kyle Trask or nothing in round one, or take a shot on Newman in round two. Both players play in the senior bowl. Whomever does well that week will improve their stock.

I was noticing that there are sixteen spots where a QB could possibly get drafted (before the Steelers draft at 24).

1. Jags
    2. Jets (Darnold)
    3. Dolphins (Tua)
    4. Falcons (Ryan)
    7. Lions (Stafford)
    8. Panthers
    9. Broncos
    10. Cowboys (Prescott)
    12. 49ers
    14. Vikings
    15. Taperiots
    18. Dolphins... again
    19. WFT
    20. Bears
    21. Colts
    22. Jets... again

Of course, for five of those teams, drafting a QB means that a veteran would come available.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I was noticing that there are sixteen spots where a QB could possibly get drafted (before the Steelers draft at 24).

1. Jags
    2. Jets (Darnold)
    3. Dolphins (Tua)
    4. Falcons (Ryan)
    7. Lions (Stafford)
    8. Panthers
    9. Broncos
    10. Cowboys (Prescott)
    12. 49ers
    14. Vikings
    15. Taperiots
    18. Dolphins... again
    19. WFT
    20. Bears
    21. Colts
    22. Jets... again

Of course, for five of those teams, drafting a QB means that a veteran would come available.
    Only speaking to the "future QB" part. IF...the draft goes the way I think it will(BIG IF), AND the Cowboys do draft a QB, I would not mind replacing Ben's immediate backup with Dak. IF it goes differently than I think(smaller if), AND Ben does retire, we would have to draft somebody, but I think the plan would still be for Rudolph to take over moving forward.

A QB room of Ben, Dak, Rudolph doesn't look bad at all to me.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Only speaking to the "future QB" part. IF...the draft goes the way I think it will(BIG IF), AND the Cowboys do draft a QB, I would not mind replacing Ben's immediate backup with Dak. IF it goes differently than I think(smaller if), AND Ben does retire, we would have to draft somebody, but I think the plan would still be for Rudolph to take over moving forward.

I’m unclear. In that scenario are you saying that Dak would be Ben’s backup? Dak is going to sign for $40M a year.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’m unclear. In that scenario are you saying that Dak would be Ben’s backup? Dak is going to sign for $40M a year.
    Sorry once again. Only mean as the player. I do understand there are contracts involved. I'm just didn't require one for that post. No I would not offer a 40M contract for a backup for next season.
    BUT....In the pre-having to make any decisions on QB phase...I would rather have Dak to backup Ben than the current situation with MR and Dobbs.

There’s no way that the Steelers could afford both Ben and Dak.

I’d be all for signing Dak. I really liked him coming out of college. Plus, he is a free agent; so, we wouldn’t even have to give up any draft picks for him.

GOING WITH RUDOLPH:
    Playing devil’s advocate, and the Steelers simply go with Rudolph/they don’t add another QB, I could see the draft focusing on surrounding Rudolph with talent, as well as solidifying both lines... something like this:

R1: Alex Learherwood, OT, Alabama
    R2: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St.
    R3: Landon Dickerson, OC, Alabama
    Comp: Michael Carter, RB, UNC
    R4: Darius Stills, DT, WVU
    R6: Dante Stills, DT WVU
    R7: CB

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Sorry once again. Only mean as the player. I do understand there are contracts involved. I'm just didn't require one for that post. No I would not offer a 40M contract for a backup for next season.
    BUT....In the pre-having to make any decisions on QB phase...I would rather have Dak to backup Ben than the current situation with MR and Dobbs.
    I’d rather have Ben backing up Dak.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

There’s no way that the Steelers could afford both Ben and Dak.

I’d be all for signing Dak. I really liked him coming out of college. Plus, he is a free agent; so, we wouldn’t even have to give up any draft picks for him.

GOING WITH RUDOLPH:
    Playing devil’s advocate, and the Steelers simply go with Rudolph/they don’t add another QB, I could see the draft focusing on surrounding Rudolph with talent, as well as solidifying both lines... something like this:

R1: Alex Learherwood, OT, Alabama
    R2: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St.
    R3: Landon Dickerson, OC, Alabama
    Comp: Michael Carter, RB, UNC
    R4: Darius Stills, DT, WVU
    R6: Dante Stills, DT WVU
    I like the thought of drafting talent to support the QB position this year (Oline, TE, RB). I think there will be a deep run on QB in the first round before the Steelers pick at 24, which means other talent/positions goes down the board. Now, if there is a QB the Steelers absolutely love there at 24 then they might take him. I'm not sure they can afford to move up too much in the first round this year though and give up other draft capital.

Like you said, if there is a run on QBs then there should be some other guys available for the Steelers to bring in to compete with Rudolph (if Ben leaves). I still like the thought of giving Sam Darnold a chance with the Steelers if he becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’d rather have Ben backing up Dak.
    That would probably kill the locker room but I understand your point.

I honestly see a situation where the future is MR and Dobbs/rookie at backup. After Ben retires of course, whenever that happens.

I could also see the FO just letting contracts run out 'organically' and using this year's and next year's drafts to hopefully replenish. That has been the way.

Whether the OL is playing hurt, or just not being coached well, the point is they have been terrible. Getting guys to protect MR is the smart first move I believe will be the emphasis this draft.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

1. Jags
    2. Jets (Darnold)
    3. Dolphins (Tua)
    4. Falcons (Ryan)
    7. Lions (Stafford)
    8. Panthers
    9. Broncos
    10. Cowboys (Prescott)
    12. 49ers
    14. Vikings
    15. Taperiots
    18. Dolphins... again
    19. WFT
    20. Bears
    21. Colts
    22. Jets... again

Can we still just call them the Redskins? WFT is too close to WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I still like the thought of giving Sam Darnold a chance with the Steelers if he becomes available.
    Indeed That rumor has been out there for a while. I think he could be had for our R2 pick.

I know that some say that Darnold “sees ghosts”, but Adam Gase was his coach; so, there were probably poltergeists walking around that facility. Joking aside, I think that in a new situation, Darnold will thrive (akin to when James Farrior spent his rookie contract withering away with that same team... and suddenly became a star after joining the Steelers).

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Did I miss them raising the CAP $200 million more? To me, next year is a Mason Rudolph year unless they can somehow move up in the draft and get a guy like Mac Jones. As Teegre pointed out just draft to surround MR with better players on offense, fire Fichtner and bring a real OC in that can design a balanced offense, get a legit NFL RB, and resign guys on defense to keep them competitive. Our defense was #1 in the league before we lost 75% of our starting LBers down the stretch. Losing Dupree was the killer though. With his pressure gone it was easy for teams to run away from TJ and double team him.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Did I miss them raising the CAP $200 million more?
    Already answered.

Already answered.
    I know I was just busting on you. It's going to be a long offseason with us all locked in our houses!