Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Heck with other teams players and give up our first two picks for Jones.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Heck with other teams players and give up our first two picks for Jones.
    Give up the first 2 picks for the 4th best QB in the draft???

Again, I am glad that sane people manage the Steelers operations.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Give up the first 2 picks for the 4th best QB in the draft???

Again, I am glad that sane people manage the Steelers operations.
    Okay then give our 1 for Hurts that has not impressed me playing with the Eagles.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Okay then give our 1 for Hurts that has not impressed me playing with the Eagles.
    You should throw Benny Snell in the deal too. He's a bell cow back.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The Chiefs started with the 27th pick and traded up for Mahomes.
    If Wilson drops anywhere near 10, I’m ALL for trading up.

I just don’t see him getting out of the top 5 (in fact, I think he might go #2 overall)... and, we don’t have the draft capital to pull off that level of a trade.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Did anyone see Mac Jones play last night? 36 for 45, 464 yards 5 TD's. 4 rushes 11 yards. Not bad.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

You know I'm hoping Jamie Newman is the guy. Still have to see some offseason workouts, but he is gonna be under the radar to fans, but not to talent evaluators.
    At 32, I would have blinked once, but then, I would have bitten the bullet (when I see that cheap “fifth-year option” in the horizon).

At 24, I’m blinking quite a bit.

Now that we are drafting at 56, the question becomes: Do we wait until R2? (Maybe we need to trade up a few spots in R2???) Waitingbis more aligned with Newman’s value. While we wouldn’t have the coveted “fifth-year option”, we also would not be reaching/drafting due to need.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Did anyone see Mac Jones play last night? 36 for 45, 464 yards 5 TD's. 4 rushes 11 yards. Not bad.
    Did anyone see him throwing a swing pass for a TD to Smith?? Or a screen pass that Najee Harris took in for a TD? or a wide open corner route to Smith for another TD, where the Safety never gave help??

Have to look at something deeper than the stat line. The better NFL QB was wearing an Ohio State jersey last night. At best, Mac Jones is the #4 QB in the draft. He may actually be more like the #7 QB in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If Wilson drops anywhere near 10, I’m ALL for trading up.

I just don’t see him getting out of the top 5 (in fact, I think he might go #2 overall)... and, we don’t have the draft capital to pull off that level of a trade.
    Lawrence, Wilson, Fields will be the top 3 draft picks IMO. Could honestly be a situation like the 2004 draft, with 3 solid QB's in the draft that could lead a franchise for a decade. McShay has Wilson ahead of Fields, so if Fields drops close to that, I would trade up for sure.

I am with you in that I am not sure of the arm strength of Trask and Jones will be worth taking early. I think Trey Lance and Jamie Newman start coming into the conversation at middle to bottom of the first.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I just think Lawrence is going to be a bust.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Thats how I feel about Fields. Just another Ohio State QB that will not make it in NFL. Jones on other hand Id gamble on. No doubt he has more weapons than any other qb, but throws better than Fields, has good size. Not a great runner but can scramble for some yards. For playing one year he’s done incredible job.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    It is so hard to know with these QBs and how they will adjust to NFL play. I remember last year there were draft experts in the media who thought Justin Herbert would be a bust. I can only tell you that IMO he looked like the best rookie QB I can remember since Ben in 2004, and far from a bust.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I looked at draft order, to me it appears there are 8 teams that could draft a QB prior to Steelers pick. If they are not set on Rudolph, or Ben another year obviously a trade up is needed. Id have no problem seeing what Rudolph could do for full year, as long as they get some o line and RB help. Ive wrote off next year as rebuilding. Lots of decisions coming up.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

For the sake of this discussion let's say BR does retire. How much urgency does Colbert and co put on replacing/displacing Rudolph early in this draft? Over continuing the OL rebuild? Over keeping the DB room from dropping back to the level of just a couple years ago? Maybe, but I don't think so. Depending on Pouncey's decision, and how the FA OTs are handled, I think the 1st priority will be OL. My gut tells me the QB room will look very much the same as it did this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    For the sake of this discussion let's say BR does retire. How much urgency does Colbert and co put on replacing/displacing Rudolph early in this draft? Over continuing the OL rebuild? Over keeping the DB room from dropping back to the level of just a couple years ago? Maybe, but I don't think so. Depending on Pouncey's decision, and how the FA OTs are handled, I think the 1st priority will be OL. My gut tells me the QB room will look very much the same as it did this season.
    Honestly, if Ben retires there is $19 million in cap found. There may be a way to spread some of that to Big Al at LT, who is only 32 years old and can likely play 3 more seasons. Guard is fine with Dotson and DeCastro(who can be a candidate to extend his current deal past the 2022 expiry) and Okorafor is likely in the longer term plan as well as Banner if they offer him a deal while rehabbing. I will assume that Pouncey retires, when Ben does.

The other option is to let AV go in free agency and then roll with Chukks at LT. Steelers line from left to right of Chukks, Dotson, FA like David Andrews or Ted Karras at center, DeCastro, Banner are the starting O line. Draft a C/G, as well as another OT and get a new O line coach.

Draft a QB with your first pick and continue to fill holes with draft or free agents. The offensive line is talented with Chukks, DeCastro, Dotson, Banner...but their OC and O line coach really let them down in the run game.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Honestly, if Ben retires there is $19 million in cap found. There may be a way to spread some of that to Big Al at LT, who is only 32 years old and can likely play 3 more seasons. Guard is fine with Dotson and DeCastro(who can be a candidate to extend his current deal past the 2022 expiry) and Okorafor is likely in the longer term plan as well as Banner if they offer him a deal while rehabbing. I will assume that Pouncey retires, when Ben does.

The other option is to let AV go in free agency and then roll with Chukks at LT. Steelers line from left to right of Chukks, Dotson, FA like David Andrews or Ted Karras at center, DeCastro, Banner are the starting O line. Draft a C/G, as well as another OT and get a new O line coach.

Draft a QB with your first pick and continue to fill holes with draft or free agents. The offensive line is talented with Chukks, DeCastro, Dotson, Banner...but their OC and O line coach really let them down in the run game.
    How many times during the game broadcast did you see them break down how the Browns' OL was playing? Highlighting pulls and pass offs and picking up blitzers, etc? How many times all season did that happen with the Steelers' OL? Whether coaching or talent level, it needs fixed.
    On the topic of "next QB" though, I don't think this will be a draft priority either way. I still see top priority on the OL and DB rooms.

How many times during the game broadcast did you see them break down how the Browns' OL was playing? Highlighting pulls and pass offs and picking up blitzers, etc? How many times all season did that happen with the Steelers' OL? Whether coaching or talent level, it needs fixed.
    On the topic of "next QB" though, I don't think this will be a draft priority either way. I still see top priority on the OL and DB rooms.
    How many copies of "Anthony Munoz, complete O line" videos(OK, they are VHS) do you have in your office? "Building the block" by LaCharles Bentley? "Complete Offensive Line" by Rick Trickett?? How many football coaching clinics have you been to discussing skills, techniques, inside/outside zone blocking or power man blocking techniques?

I saw the game, I know what happened, I know the Steelers have good O line talent in the room and even if they lose AV, Feiler, Pouncey they can instantly replace them with Dotson, Chukks/Banner and a free agent Center or draft pick. It cannot fix itself and if the OC and/or O line coach doesnt prioritize fixing it, it wont happen.

The act of not bringing back Randy Fichtner and/or Shaun Sarrett should be the start.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I don’t think we draft a QB this year, better chance at a higher pick after next season, and using the draft to solidify the OL for said new QB draftee is a better idea. The best part of this is it won’t matter if Ben stays or not, either way we will have a bunch of cap space freed up in 2 years and a solid core of young team to lead the way.

How many copies of "Anthony Munoz, complete O line" videos(OK, they are VHS) do you have in your office? "Building the block" by LaCharles Bentley? "Complete Offensive Line" by Rick Trickett?? How many football coaching clinics have you been to discussing skills, techniques, inside/outside zone blocking or power man blocking techniques?

I saw the game, I know what happened, I know the Steelers have good O line talent in the room and even if they lose AV, Feiler, Pouncey they can instantly replace them with Dotson, Chukks/Banner and a free agent Center or draft pick. It cannot fix itself and if the OC and/or O line coach doesnt prioritize fixing it, it wont happen.

The act of not bringing back Randy Fichtner and/or Shaun Sarrett should be the start.
    Not saying there is not talent there goof nut. Saying "I believe" OL will be a bigger priority this draft than QB.

Not saying there is not talent there goof nut. Saying "I believe" OL will be a bigger priority this draft than QB.
    First you imply that I either didn't watch or didn't see the O line play of either team...then your response is 5th grade name calling of "goof nut"?

You put the "ass" in "classless".

Paxton Lynch even thinks your "belief" is a joke.

First you imply that I either didn't watch or didn't see the O line play of either team...then your response is 5th grade name calling of "goof nut"?

You put the "ass" in "classless".

Paxton Lynch even thinks your "belief" is a joke.
    Lol, You really don’t like your opinions questioned do you. There’s got to be a diagnosis for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Lol, You really don’t like your opinions questioned do you. There’s got to be a diagnosis for that.
    Nah, when people ask a question "for the sake of discussion" and then get snarky about the discussion...why bother asking the question?

Its not like I implied that the Steelers will take a course of action based upon the color of somebody's skin. Most of us know the diagnosis for that.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

You should throw Benny Snell in the deal too. He's a bell cow back.
    does he have suddenness and glide?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Not like some backs we know of.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Claypool has supple thighs that's why he runs a sub 4.4

Nah, when people ask a question "for the sake of discussion" and then get snarky about the discussion...why bother asking the question?

Its not like I implied that the Steelers will take a course of action based upon the color of somebody's skin. Most of us know the diagnosis for that.
    You’re kidding right. The Rooney rule is called that for a reason. Seriously, you must interview a black candidate when hiring. How degrading is that to black community. Most want interview based on merit not skin color. So yeah, I do think Steelers make decisions on skin color, unless their role was put in place as a facade. I thoroughly disagree with the rule and think Tomlin should have been hired without it , unfortunately it taints it for blacks getting hired IMO. Im not black so only have opinion, I would welcome other opinions not crap on them and name call.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Agree with this. If Ben leaves (I think he comes back for one more year) Rudolph has earned the chance to compete for the starting Qb position next year, also Dobbs should be given a chance to show what he can do, bring in a veteran as insurance as well (in the 3 million range). The following year, with defense and OL pretty well set, see what you have at the QB position and seek a franchise QB in the draft if need be.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

You’re kidding right. The Rooney rule is called that for a reason. Seriously, you must interview a black candidate when hiring. How degrading is that to black community. Most want interview based on merit not skin color. So yeah, I do think Steelers make decisions on skin color, unless their role was put in place as a facade. I thoroughly disagree with the rule and think Tomlin should have been hired without it , unfortunately it taints it for blacks getting hired IMO. Im not black so only have opinion, I would welcome other opinions not crap on them and name call.
    actually, it has to be a minority candidate. he or she don't have to be black.

actually, it has to be a minority candidate. he or she don't have to be black.
    Either way judging people and applicants on who they are not what they look like should be the standard. Id bet Tomlin would agree.

Either way judging people and applicants on who they are not what they look like should be the standard. Id bet Tomlin would agree.
    so you're all about equality and every person should be treated equal?