Thread: Actual Bad Coaching

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Actual Bad Coaching

I don't think it is any mystery that I mostly reject the "bad coaching" and "unprepared" theories for teams losing in the NFL. I could get into why, but the bottom line is that anytime one team does something good, it does not always mean that the other team did something bad.

Anyways, I thought it might be kinda fun to start a thread with ACTUAL bad coaching moves. So to kick it off, here is a re-cap of all the dumb things Bill O'brien did yesterday.

https://deadspin.com/its-not-my-job-...his-1828933246

“It’s not my job to do that,” O’Brien said. And then, again: “It’s not my job to call a timeout to make their [the officials’] job easier.” Except, yes. It 100 percent is. Any coach in this league worth his salt knows this, and calls that timeout. It is a situation that crops up pretty frequently—there’s a reason the Patriots were hustling to get the next play off—and coaches know they must make the decision on whether burning a timeout is worth the reward. It almost certainly would have been here."

I mean it is quite literally your job. In fact it is a major part of your responsibilities on gameday. Also, his playcalling would've made even Haley blush. See linked article for details.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Actual Bad Coaching

Yeah I watched that game and O'Brien blew that big time. No way you don't throw the red flag. That's on him.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah we can all agree Bill O Brien is a bad coach.

Had the AFC South not been such a laughing stock and had Andrew Luck managed to stay healthy the past few years, O' Brien would have been fired after probably the 2016 season. As long as he's head coach the Texans ceiling is another bushwacking against the Pats (or maybe Jags) in the divisional round

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So there are other examples trickling in as the first week gets dissected and analyzed more and more.

1. Sarkesian in Atlanta. Apparently he does not adapt to formations and keys from the defense. Just calls a play and runs it no matter what. Apparently there are rumblings that Ryan is upset at the "college" approach. Examples of this were on the opening series. Ran an end around to Julio that was stopped by a procedure penalty on offense. Ran another play. Then went back to the end around to Julio from the exact same formation as the aborted first play. Even thought the play worked, many observers say that kinda thing will get you killed at the NFL level.

2. Apparently Jim Bob Cooter's offense in Detroit is so repetitive and unoriginal that the Jets players were calling out the plays pre-snap last night.

Again, more interesting examples of coaches perhaps costing their team games and more.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So there are other examples trickling in as the first week gets dissected and analyzed more and more.

1. Sarkesian in Atlanta. Apparently he does not adapt to formations and keys from the defense. Just calls a play and runs it no matter what. Apparently there are rumblings that Ryan is upset at the "college" approach. Examples of this were on the opening series. Ran an end around to Julio that was stopped by a procedure penalty on offense. Ran another play. Then went back to the end around to Julio from the exact same formation as the aborted first play. Even thought the play worked, many observers say that kinda thing will get you killed at the NFL level.

2. Apparently Jim Bob Cooter's offense in Detroit is so repetitive and unoriginal that the Jets players were calling out the plays pre-snap last night.

Again, more interesting examples of coaches perhaps costing their team games and more.
    Or Tomlin who uses Joe Haden on the special team and who gets hurt on that !!

But yes, the OC of falcons is very bad and I say that a lot during the game in the thread of the Falcons or eagles....I would not be surprised if he is fired during the season.

For the lions, it's not good, especially with their new HC .... The lions were missing Jim Caldwell yesterday and it was an unbelievable accomplishment to do that!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Sarkesian will be the first coach fired this seasonn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Sarkesian will be the first coach fired this seasonn.
    Lots of pressure for that to happen in Atlanta - every owner wants to get to the Super Bowl but with Matt Ryan getting the big contract in the offseason Arthur Blank really wants to get there this season with the Super Bowl being played in Atlanta

Sarkasian leads a charmed life - canned at USC when his alcoholism got completely out of control, landed on Nick Saban's staff from there since no AD tells Saban who he can hire, then after Kyle Shanahan got the 49ers HC job Sarkasian hired as Falcons OC based significantly on a Pete Carroll recommendation to Falcons HC (and former Seahawks DC) Dan Quinn to hire Carroll's old assistant from USC days

The good ol' boy network of connections to get hired on grounds other than merit is alive and well in the NFL
    Thanks for the memories