Thread: Steelers are one of two teams projected to land QB Jalen Hurts in the NFL Draft according to Mel Kiper Jr.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers are one of two teams projected to land QB Jalen Hurts in the NFL Draft according to Mel Kiper Jr.

The Steelers are without a first-round pick in 2020, but here’s why ESPN’s Mel Kiper thinks quarterback Jalen Hurts could wind up with Pittsburgh at pick 49 in the NFL Draft.
    Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert made it a point this offseason to tell the media that he was “comfortable” with Pittsburgh’s quarterback situation heading into the 2020. However, some recent evidence suggests that may not be the case.
    According to a recent report, the Steelers may be eyeing Oklahoma star quarterback, Jalen Hurts, early in the 2020 NFL Draft.

On Monday, Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN claimed that the Steelers and the Patriots are two teams in the running for Jalen Hurts early in the NFL Draft. Here is some of what Kiper had to say, according to 247 Sports:
    “I’ve heard he’s not getting out of the second round. Think about the Patriots, that Belichick connection with Nick Saban the former coach of Jalen Hurts, and of course Lincoln Riley this past year. Also the Pittsburgh Steelers. Don’t have a first-round pick, but a mid-second round pick? Keep an eye on Jalen Hurts in Round 2.”

read more

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/04/14/...rts-nfl-draft/

https://247sports.com/Article/2020-N...und-146008420/

Re: Steelers are one of two teams projected to land QB Jalen Hurts in the NFL Draft according to Mel Kiper Jr.

Re: Steelers are one of two teams projected to land QB Jalen Hurts in the NFL Draft according to Mel Kiper Jr.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Maybe he can play RB when Conner gets hurt.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't dislike the idea of Jalen Hurts as a Steeler as most on here but taking him at 49 would be a mistake, IMO. If Hurts fell to 102 I would consider him there. If he fell all the way to the 4th round I think he would be the best player on the board and would back this pick there.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I dislike it because that draft spot can be used for something else to help the team before the need for a “gadget player.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I dislike it because that draft spot can be used for something else to help the team before the need for a “gadget player.”
    This is the opinion I don't really understand about Hurts. He was a much better college QB than Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, or even Tua(IMO). If not for the loss to KState and the unique season by Joe Burrow, Hurts may have been the Heisman winner last year since he was in the lead conversation up to that loss. Kind of like Mayfield last year I see more QB qualities than do most on this forum it seems. Hurts may not be typical but he is a pro level QB.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Just say no to Hurts, unless we are taking round four. If we took Hurts in round two, it's basically saying sorry Ben you're not getting any help to win now. We are in a win now mode.

Mel gets paid by agents to hype guys.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is the opinion I don't really understand about Hurts. He was a much better college QB than Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, or even Tua(IMO). If not for the loss to KState and the unique season by Joe Burrow, Hurts may have been the Heisman winner last year since he was in the lead conversation up to that loss. Kind of like Mayfield last year I see more QB qualities than do most on this forum it seems. Hurts may not be typical but he is a pro level QB.
    Alabama Hurts is not a pro level QB. Lincoln Reilly wonder offense Hurts, maybe? But, for me, that is the trouble. Hurts isn't good on his own. He really only was good in a specific offense that has been a "cheat code" for the college game for a few seasons now.

On Kiper, I meet the guy. He's was very nice and chatty. That was a long time ago. These days his commentary is approaching cartoon status. He's an outspoken Ravens fan, and he's starting to look like Mole Man from the Marvel Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Alabama Hurts is not a pro level QB. Lincoln Reilly wonder offense Hurts, maybe? But, for me, that is the trouble. Hurts isn't good on his own. He really only was good in a specific offense that has been a "cheat code" for the college game for a few seasons now.
    I get that. That has been the biggest knock is hurts is a system specific QB. But aren't all of them really? What I see that impresses with hurts is he improved each year at Bama, then changes systems at Oklahoma and succeeds there as well. Granted at both schools he had the luxury of playing behind quality OL and had top ranked WRs. I do not see the value in the Steelers taking Hurts at 49. Like I said in a previous post, I would consider him at 102. If Hurts is available at 124 or 135 in the 4th, I think he would be a great pick there. Probably best player on the board and at the most important position. I can't say take him off the board when he does have very real talent at his position.

The Alabama guy, with all world talent around him is best too judge for the draft. Those Big 12 defenses Hurts played last season are just bad.

Hurts won't beat an NFL defense from the pocket. He's late on reads, throws in front or or behind targets, and I think will struggle to move the chains. Accuracy is important, probably the most important thing for a QB.

Maybe he can be a nice back up or one of the 8 worst rating QB's in football before he's replaced. IMO, I don't want to draft player like that in round two or three.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So that’s great. But with Ben at QB, Hurts doesn’t help them win now and that is the goal. So you’re wasting a pick on what some think is a questionable QB to sit behind Ben for two seasons rather than getting an OLineman or something that can potentially contribute to the roster immediately?

So that’s great. But with Ben at QB, Hurts doesn’t help them win now and that is the goal. So you’re wasting a pick on what some think is a questionable QB to sit behind Ben for two seasons rather than getting an OLineman or something that can potentially contribute to the roster immediately?
    Especially that a good QB does not take a long time to develop.

The last two MVPs (Mahomes and Lamar Jackson) won the MVP less than 2 years after their draft and Wentz had a chance to do the same in 2017 before his injury.Watson is a special QB in Houston since day one too.

The other thing, I'm not saying it's going to be the case with Hurts, but I wouldn't be surprised in the next couple years some team try to find the next Lamar Jackson as QB and that this is a disaster after that.

You should read the whole conversation. I did mention some specifics along the way.

I get that. That has been the biggest knock is hurts is a system specific QB. But aren't all of them really? What I see that impresses with hurts is he improved each year at Bama, then changes systems at Oklahoma and succeeds there as well. Granted at both schools he had the luxury of playing behind quality OL and had top ranked WRs. I do not see the value in the Steelers taking Hurts at 49. Like I said in a previous post, I would consider him at 102. If Hurts is available at 124 or 135 in the 4th, I think he would be a great pick there. Probably best player on the board and at the most important position. I can't say take him off the board when he does have very real talent at his position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The Alabama guy, with all world talent around him is best too judge for the draft. Those Big 12 defenses Hurts played last season are just bad.

Hurts won't beat an NFL defense from the pocket. He's late on reads, throws in front or or behind targets, and I think will struggle to move the chains. Accuracy is important, probably the most important thing for a QB.

Maybe he can be a nice back up or one of the 8 worst rating QB's in football before he's replaced. IMO, I don't want to draft player like that in round two or three.
    I would rather let Hurts be someone else's role of the dice and give Paxton Lynch a chance to push Rudolph to the #3 spot. There was a reason or reasons that Lynch got as much hype as he did when he came out. Just because he fell out of favor in Denver -- which isn't really a great situation - doesn't mean there isn't something there. Maybe not the franchise QB everyone was hoping for, but maybe a better back-up than anyone on the roster.

I would rather let Hurts be someone else's role of the dice and give Paxton Lynch a chance to push Rudolph to the #3 spot. There was a reason or reasons that Lynch got as much hype as he did when he came out. Just because he fell out of favor in Denver -- which isn't really a great situation - doesn't mean there isn't something there. Maybe not the franchise QB everyone was hoping for, but maybe a better back-up than anyone on the roster.
    I have not been shy with my opinion on Lynch. I definitely think he can push Duck and Rudolph off the depth chart. I think if anybody can look at what those 2 guys did last season(or didn't do) and think either one is the future of this franchise then you should be optimistic enough to see Ben's return as 'the sign' of our 7th Lombardi in the bag. The whole I would rather roll with Rudolph than roll the dice on a guy like Hurts is just beyond me too. If hurts is sitting there at 124, who is maybe the better pick? I do not understand the 'all or none' attitude toward some players/draftees.

I have not been shy with my opinion on Lynch. I definitely think he can push Duck and Rudolph off the depth chart. I think if anybody can look at what those 2 guys did last season(or didn't do) and think either one is the future of this franchise then you should be optimistic enough to see Ben's return as 'the sign' of our 7th Lombardi in the bag. The whole I would rather roll with Rudolph than roll the dice on a guy like Hurts is just beyond me too. If hurts is sitting there at 124, who is maybe the better pick? I do not understand the 'all or none' attitude toward some players/draftees.
    This is just because that the steelers have bigger need in 2020 that the backup QB and I don't think Hurts can help us in 2020 too...In fact I am not sure he will become a good NFL QB.O-line,RB or WR at 124 would be a better pick.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This is just because that the steelers have bigger need in 2020 that the backup QB and I don't think Hurts can help us in 2020 too...In fact I am not sure he will become a good NFL QB.O-line,RB or WR at 124 would be a better pick.
    Not disagreeing when we put it as 'Backup QB, or OL, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, DB', In the realm of naming prospects vs Hurts though in the 4th round, there won't be many that will be BPA over Hurts. Position-wise there are many names I can list over 'Backup QB' in ANY round. Do I WANT to see the Steelers draft Jalen Hurts? No! But if Hurts is sitting there in the 4th round I can be behind the pick if that happens. At 102 overall I think Hurts would have to be in consideration, 'I' still wouldn't take him there but it could be understandable. I don't think he's the sure-fire bust as a QB a lot on here seem to think he is.

I would want to see the Steeler's QB depth chart be Ben, Lynch, Rudolph/draft pick.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I think Hurts could help immediately,just not as starting qb. He could spell Ben on occasion and run read-option, or line up as RB or wr like Taysom. Some will say gimmicky but face it we need gimmicks with our offense. No dominant offensive weapon. Work him in slowly and see. I think our RB’s as a unit are bottom of league. Hurts or not, if Ben goes down again, sub 500 team. Duck was a good story but it’s over, I thought Rudolph was as good as any in he’s class but besides Lamar none doing well. I think slightly better than Landry. Roll dice on Hurts, could be our Dak.

I prefer to wait in the first round in 2021 to draft a QB.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I prefer to wait in the first round in 2021 to draft a QB.
    Yep, win -win. If we suck this year high draft pick. If not means made playoffs.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I love it. I been on the Hurts train for awhile.

I say we draft a QB every year until one sticks.

We are not done with Mason yet, but I want to add competition in the QB room.

HURTS is a winner and has a mentality that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    I love it. I been on the Hurts train for awhile.

I say we draft a QB every year until one sticks.

We are not done with Mason yet, but I want to add competition in the QB room.

HURTS is a winner and has a mentality that I love.
    I agree, if he doesn’t pan out at QB, I bet he could take Snells spot and not miss a beat. Run the wildcat once in a while as well. It’s nerve racking watching RB running it but with QB I wouldn’t have issue once in a while.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Mel is on crack, we have a few tiny picks and could use help filling holes first before more project QB's

Fuck THAT