Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Tight Ends Left In Free Agency

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Top Tight Ends Left In Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I can't recall them ever having that. Heath wasn't a burner. And I don't think it's fair at all to say Ben doesn't trust James. Where do you get that?

James has been decent. If there's an area on the offense that needs to be upgraded, it's TE. However, the current TE situation isn't going to prevent this team from winning a championship...unless of course one of them pulls a "Jackie Smith"

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm not saying that Odom = Shaheen. What I'm wondering is how much better is Shaheen than Odom? If Shaheen is a 7/10 and Odom is a 4/10 what does that gap really mean in terms of NFL ability? Is it really that much?

Plus it isn't like Shaheen is ready to buckle his chinstrap and dominate. He needs work on routes, separation, quickness, blocking. Odom needs work too, but he didn't cost anything.
    Odom is obviously worth a look with his size and measurables, but I could easily see him being amongst the first cuts. He may show enough to get on the practice squad, but IMO, it's a long shot. My opinion is probably biased on Shaheen because I really wanted him to be a Steeler and love the way he plays. You're right though, he's definitely no guarantee.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I can't recall them ever having that. Heath wasn't a burner. And I don't think it's fair at all to say Ben doesn't trust James. Where do you get that?

James has been decent. If there's an area on the offense that needs to be upgraded, it's TE. However, the current TE situation isn't going to prevent this team from winning a championship...unless of course one of them pulls a "Jackie Smith"
    Eric Green was probably the closest thing to a burner the Steelers have had at TE. My point is, teams usually have a starting TE that either stretches the field in the passing game, or a starting TE who can block in the running game. I guess time will tell whether or not James has improved his blocking. He's by all means an adequate TE who can get the job done, but he's not spectacular.

I remember reading somewhere Ben wanted a TE in the draft. I don't recall where I read it, but google will probably provide you with an answer. Could have just been rumors, but I wouldn't blame him for wanting an upgrade.

Found the article
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Yict26B9zxZIfQ

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    In terms of stats, I agree. But the reliable checkdown or deep threat down the middle is a huge asset and we don't have a guy who can do that on a consistent basis. I do have faith in the Outlaw and believe he could provide some of what Heath gave us, but it's definitely the weakest link of the offense.
    Definitely didn't look that way in the playoffs last year.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    (Jesse James) Definitely didn't look that way in the playoffs last year.
    James' 11 receptions out of 15 targets and 137 yards / 12.5 ypc in the playoffs is about what you might expect from Heath performance-wise.

Outlaw is still young and developing so it is possible he could continue improving.

On a side note I have noticed when he runs straight routes he tends to drift right. It could be an ear thing...

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    On a side note I have noticed when he runs straight routes he tends to drift right. It could be an ear thing...

BWAHAHAHA!!!

I will never not see that again.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I like James let's see what he does this year and, I think he will keep getting better. Alot of Steeler fans need to understand that players like Troy P & Heath Miller & Ben Roethlisberger don't come around very often like every 20-30 years.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

James' 11 receptions out of 15 targets and 137 yards / 12.5 ypc in the playoffs is about what you might expect from Heath performance-wise.

Outlaw is still young and developing so it is possible he could continue improving.

Holy smokes that's funny! Now I'll be watching for him to veer right after all of his receptions.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Those ears are unfortunate.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

James is ok, he is not anything special. And while they can win with him and did last year, he seems more like a no. 2 TE and could be upgraded by any TE who can gain yards after the catch and/or can block

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Those ears are unfortunate.
    Maybe he was just having a bad ear day.

My biggest problem is that them not addressing TE seemed to be based on them thinking Green would be available and that they didn't take into account enough that he had a high risk of not being available

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Maybe he was just having a bad ear day.
    While not on the same level as Brian Baldinger's jacked up finger, I now can't help but stare. It reminds me of the scene with Fred Savage as the "mole" in Austin Powers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    My biggest problem is that them not addressing TE seemed to be based on them thinking Green would be available and that they didn't take into account enough that he had a high risk of not being available
    Who do you think they should have grabbed, Kittle in the 4th?

I guess I could see that, however I think JuJu as a #2 or #3 could improve our offense as much as the Kittle upgrade over James or Grimble.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

If Barnidge would take a 1 year deal worth about $1mil. I hope they take a look.

He's a 10 year vet, I'm sure he would be interested in playing for a contender after playing with Cleveland for 4 seasons.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Clearly slept on one side growing up, to the exclusion of the other.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I do believe they will run a lot of 10 personnel formations ( 4 wide and 1 RB no TE ) we have not done much of that in the past but the current roster configuration points to that IMO .

they have All world WR A.B. who is the clear #1 , Bryant who truly is a #1 WR in his own right ( when he can stay on the field ) and potentially the biggest game changer at the Position in the league.

Rogers who proved capable as a rookie and should take a step up in year 2 and they drafted a tough guy WR in JuJu in the 2nd round who can block , catch and make yards after the catch with physicality ( TE like to some degree but with the size and speed of a WR )

they are going to want all 4 of those guys on the field for a significant number of snaps IMO

do you take arguably the best RB in the league off the field to add a subpar TE to the above grouping ? I wouldn't because it does nothing for you and only tips your hand with the RB on the field they still have to respect the run or get killed by it .... take him off the field and they can pin their ears back and rush the passer

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    I do believe they will run a lot of 10 personnel formations ( 4 wide and 1 RB no TE ) we have not done much of that in the past but the current roster configuration points to that IMO .

they have All world WR A.B. who is the clear #1 , Bryant who truly is a #1 WR in his own right ( when he can stay on the field ) and potentially the biggest game changer at the Position in the league.

Rogers who proved capable as a rookie and should take a step up in year 2 and they drafted a tough guy WR in JuJu in the 2nd round who can block , catch and make yards after the catch with physicality ( TE like to some degree but with the size and speed of a WR )

they are going to want all 4 of those guys on the field for a significant number of snaps IMO

do you take arguably the best RB in the league off the field to add a subpar TE to the above grouping ? I wouldn't because it does nothing for you and only tips your hand with the RB on the field they still have to respect the run or get killed by it .... take him off the field and they can pin their ears back and rush the passer

Is it September yet?

I'd like to see Edward ScissorCoates out there instead of Rogers (sometimes) stretching the field w/Bryant. If we can get Sept 2016 Coates and 2014-15 Bongtavious on the same field with AB and Jujubee and Bell?

Wow, we can only dream.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

This is what I'm saying. This offense is top 5 at the very least WITHOUT a superstar TE. We can get one next year. The problem right now is covering those type of TE's like Gronk. Depth needs to be added to ILB and Safety if at all possible. Does anyone feel good with what we have if Shazier and Davis were to go down? I sure don't!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Colon envy?

Seriously though, while it is fun to read and debate this stuff, noone (including Ben imo), will truly believe this until he puts up top 5 numbers.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm hoping Jesse can develop this year into "Heath-Lite." With our other weapons, it would be enough from the TE position.

Top 5 tight end is a major reach

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Top 5... in height.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Top 5 is crazy talk. I doubt JJ will ever become that type of player, can he become a solid starter? Yes I believe he can.

Also, he just turned 23 years old, and continues to get in better shape. I'm fine with JJ as the #1 TE on this team.