20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better than expected

4 20.00%
  • About As expected

10 50.00%
  • Worse than expected

6 30.00%

Thread: How Do You Feel After 1 Game?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

How Do You Feel After 1 Game?

The turnover differential in this game was ridiculous and the arguably weak link was our fearless future hall of fame QB in a retarded hurricane with gusts to 20 mph.

So, how do you feel about our team after 1 game?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: How Do You Feel After 1 Game?

I feel like we lost, but were fortunate not to really lose. Makes any sense?

I used to have supreme confidence in Ben, but honestly I'm now concerned with how much this guy really has in the tank. Yes, he played great for the most part last season, but this is 2 seasons in a row where he started off looking more like Jake Delhomme than Big Ben.

However, still feeling good about the season. Defense was looking much improved from last year, and Conner looks like the real deal. Had enough of Justin Hunter, let's get Washington in the game.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Not terrible...It was just Ben who was terrible

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The analogy they use for a tie is that it feels like kissing your sister.

Well, since I’m from West Virginia... YES!!!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The analogy they use for a tie is that it feels like kissing your sister.

Well, since I’m from West Virginia... YES!!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Should I post the cat now?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Better than expected, for the reasons listed above. I don't expect the problems in this game to plague us through the year, but the parts that were running well looked better than they have in years.
    My fear is that the improvements I *think* I saw were really just the Browns being the Browns.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Better than expected, for the reasons listed above. I don't expect the problems in this game to plague us through the year, but the parts that were running well looked better than they have in years.
    My fear is that the improvements I *think* I saw were really just the Browns being the Browns.
    I honestly think the Browns are going to shock a lot of teams this year, especially early in the season. Their roster looks improved and their defense is no joke, I believe they were the league best at average yards per rush allowed last year. Conner being able to run on them is a great sign for our offense.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Ben will bounce back. Other than him I thought we played well. So, I still feel pretty good about our team.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I at least figured they would win both games against the Clowns. There doesn't appear to be noticeable improvement from last year's one-and-done. The team still can't put away bottom dwellers, there still is incessant drama, the gameplan of hope the stars bail out the rest of the team in the end that was in place in 2017 appears to still be in place, only this time it backfired. Last year they won most of those games against inferior teams

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Feel ok. I accept the fact that the Steelers start slow: Ben, AB, JJ, all off. Even Fitchner is on a bit of a learning curve. And Tomlin doesnt play his vets enough in the preseason, that’s his choice - but this is the result. This team has too much talent though, so I expect them to beat KC. But unlike the pats, who win when their expected to, this team is unpredictable, and Ben has a bad elbow, so while I expect a win i wouldn’t be surprised with a loss

i think the Browns still suck btw, they just suck a little less than last year. We just played poorly.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Tying the Cleveland Browns after leading 21-7 halfway through the 4th quarter has some people feeling better about the season than before the game??? I guess I'll never understand that one...

Hey here's something to be happy about. We mighta tied the browns, but... at least we ain't the browns. 6 turnovers and they still didn't beat us

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

why is drunk not one of the choices
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I at least figured they would win both games against the Clowns. There doesn't appear to be noticeable improvement from last year's one-and-done. The team still can't put away bottom dwellers, there still is incessant drama, the gameplan of hope the stars bail out the rest of the team in the end that was in place in 2017 appears to still be in place, only this time it backfired. Last year they won most of those games against inferior teams
    But we didn't lose!!!!!!!!!

When does hockey start?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

About what I expected (except for six turnovers and I did not expect Bell to actually miss games)

Team was nowhere near as good as its 13-3 record last season and reversion to the mean presumably would result in not winning almost every game tied in the last minute - which happened last week and will happen again. Add to that the team is not as good as the start of last year having lost Shazier and with Bell effectively out for the year (IMO when he finally shows up his goal is to be on the field as little as possible)

2018 Steelers are a second tier borderline playoff team that deserved to lose to a bad team with a few good players (and a rising star in Garrett)

Look out below if they do not play any better this week
    Last edited by AtlantaDan; 09-14-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Thanks for the memories

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Should I post the cat now?
    Yes!!!!

One game and the Steelers didn't lose....but didn't win. I think an object is falling from above.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I honestly think the Browns are going to shock a lot of teams this year, especially early in the season.

Their roster looks improved and their defense is no joke, I believe they were the league best at average yards per rush allowed last year.

Conner being able to run on them is a great sign for our offense.
    Bell ran for 32 yards on 10 carries last September. 3.2 ypc.

Ridley ran for 80 yards on 17 carries in December, which is close to 5 yards per carry.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Feel ok. I accept the fact that the Steelers start slow: Ben, AB, JJ, all off. Even Fitchner is on a bit of a learning curve. And Tomlin doesnt play his vets enough in the preseason, that’s his choice - but this is the result. This team has too much talent though, so I expect them to beat KC. But unlike the pats, who win when their expected to, this team is unpredictable, and Ben has a bad elbow, so while I expect a win i wouldn’t be surprised with a loss

i think the Browns still suck btw, they just suck a little less than last year. We just played poorly.
    If there's a connection between the two, and we see it, why doesn't the head coach adjust his approach??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Tying the Cleveland Browns after leading 21-7 halfway through the 4th quarter has some people feeling better about the season than before the game??? I guess I'll never understand that one...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I am not sure how I feel about playing the vets so little in the preseason. I'm pretty sure I don't like it and believe it leads to slower starts. However, this is not just some Mike Tomlin thing. Only teams with new coaches or sub-par rosters play their veterans in the preseason. My buddy is a Vikings fan and all he wanted to talk about was how their O-line didn't play together until Week 1 of the regular season and as a result looked less than coordinated. But, he also said they are so scared of injury that he gets it.

And I think that is the bottom line. Players are assets. Very expensive and hard to find assets. So they are protected and only used when absolutely necessary - the regular season. As a result, Week 5 is when the real real starts. Get to there about .500 and most coaches with a good roster assume the rest will work out.

Whether we like it or not or even agree with it - Tomlin and the Steelers are in lock-step with the rest of the league on this point. Imagine the narrative if Tomlin did play Ben a whole bunch and he shredded his knee? What would the reaction be when people saw/heard the stat that Ben played 2-3 times as many preseason snap as any other elite QB? I shudder to think!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I feel a little hungry. Thinking about hitting up one of those Dave and Busters or Buffalo Wild Wings this week.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I feel a little hungry. Thinking about hitting up one of those Dave and Busters or Buffalo Wild Wings this week.
    Not a bad idea. I could go for some Asian Zing bonless wings from BWW. Yum!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think the Browns are going to be awful this year....

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Not happy after week but, it's early no team is going 16-0. Plus after seeing the Bengals beat the ravens we all know the Steelers have a less trouble with the Bengals than the Ravens. I pretty sure the Ben & the offense should get things rolling very soon hopefully this week VS KC.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I figured the Steelers would play poorly against a bad team. Isn't that expected under Tomlin? The Steelers have only 15 more chances to better themselves in the standings.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I voted 'Worse' because of - Tomlin, again, not having the team pumped, Ben's pathetic play (not prepared), even though it was a tie, still a 'loss' in my book against the Browns which is a DIVISION team we should have beaten ! Would've been a good way to start the season, now we have to play catch-up to the bungholes. Yea, this browns game was a killer...dresses as a 'tie'. I had this down as a WIN in my thoughts of a 9 win season.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

How do you feel after 2 Games???

The Cleveland tie looks pretty good right now compared to that.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    How do you feel after 2 Games???

The Cleveland tie looks pretty good right now compared to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    ...Which is pretty much what they wound up being. So now I'm unhappy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland