Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2167

Thread: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If anyone actually believes that government restrictions are only responsible for 7% of the drop in economic activity, that person is the most retarded individual in the history of humanity.
    In other words you need the government to tell you what to do. You can't think for yourself.

If Trump, in his idiocy, were to order all businesses open tomorrow, you'd go to the local tavern, unmasked, and rub up against everyone in there? Who's the "most retarded individual in the history of humanity"?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well since my household and personal spending has stayed exactly the same or somewhat increased; wrong again buckaroo. I've made a concerted effort to find ways to spend money in my local area. I guess I could start lighting gas on fire...

As to the percentage stuff the research paper is about 6 posts or so upthread. You claim you can read and have a substantially better understanding of numbers and their true meanings than most. So have at it. Maybe you can finally get your Nobel.
    All that link showed was a survey saying that out of people who had plans to attend a movie, more decided to go anyway than decided to stay home. But since I don't have a PhD in mathematics, I guess I'm not qualified to decipher that and am just railing at the wind.

Look, you can find ways to convince yourself of whatever you want; I mean, there are research papers hypothesizing that having riots for a month slowed down the spread of the virus. But at some point, it requires being so intellectually dishonest - even with yourself - that people are just not going to buy it, and this is one of those issues. It's not my fault you've got yourself all pretzeled up like this.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

............. It's not my fault you've got yourself all pretzeled up like this.
    Who is "all pretzeled up"?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Interesting website with a ton of research on COVID and the Economy and Whatnot: https://www.nber.org/wp_covid19_rco_07062020.html

Interesting that in-person voting is a source of increase: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27187?sy=187 but protesting is not: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408 (can't wait for the foaming at the mouth this drives...)

It appears that individual choice was the largest driver of economic drop-off rather than government measures: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27432

Impacts of economic policies and individual choice on the COVID economy: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27431

Take a look....it is in a book...
    Not hypothetical. Has actual data and everything.

But again; why use facts and figures when they run up against an easy correlation?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

It took a worldwide pandemic. It took a 35% plunge in the stock market. It took six feet of social distancing. It took quarantining. It took many small businesses closing. It took practically closing everything, to bring the economy back to the obaaama high mark.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    It took a worldwide pandemic. It took a 35% plunge in the stock market. It took six feet of social distancing. It took quarantining. It took many small businesses closing. It took practically closing everything, to bring the economy back to the obaaama high mark.
    Got any data for that or just random bluster?

https://www.cbpp.org/research/econom...ession-economy

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Not hypothetical. Has actual data and everything.

But again; why use facts and figures when they run up against an easy correlation?
    Not that it matters one bit in the end.

Fine, I'll grant you that everything you assert is true. Fear, not the government, was to blame, dubious as that may be. In that case, the only thing that is any different is that irresponsible fearmongering was the reason for the economic collapse. People were not scared just because they were scared. They were scared because they were told to be scared.

Since that was also controlled by leftist scum, it is equally disgraceful. That they also cajoled governments around the world into foolish actions and brazen abuses of power is merely adding insult to injury. Congratulations: In your academic superiority, you have simply changed the order in which two horseshit events caused incredibly wide-ranging, and overwhelmingly needless, misery. It's all ok then.

It is still the same cause and the same result: Miserable shit disturbers figured out a way to whip up a panic over nothing. And now that the underlying issue is all but over, they are attempting to drag it out as long as they can for political reasons. And it even works in some cases, because fear still rules the dumbest.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Not that it matters one bit in the end.

Fine, I'll grant you that everything you assert is true. Fear, not the government, was to blame, dubious as that may be. In that case, the only thing that is any different is that irresponsible fearmongering was the reason for the economic collapse. People were not scared just because they were scared. They were scared because they were told to be scared.

Since that was also controlled by leftist scum, it is equally disgraceful. That they also cajoled governments around the world into foolish actions and brazen abuses of power is merely adding insult to injury. Congratulations: In your academic superiority, you have simply changed the order in which two horseshit events caused incredibly wide-ranging, and overwhelmingly needless, misery. It's all ok then.

It is still the same cause and the same result: Miserable shit disturbers figured out a way to whip up a panic over nothing. And now that the underlying issue is all but over, they are attempting to drag it out as long as they can for political reasons. And it even works in some cases, because fear still rules the dumbest.
    Cool. Good to see that you can still move goalposts to avoid ever having to think.

It's staggering that you would rather just invent global conspiracies rather than ever assimilate new information into your world view. I mean do you really think their are "leftist scum" running the show in Russia, China, North Korea, Pakistan, and basically ever country in the world? That requires quite an effort to ignore actual evidence to the contrary.

Cool. Good to see that you can still move goalposts to avoid ever having to think.

It's staggering that you would rather just invent global conspiracies rather than ever assimilate new information into your world view. I mean do you really think their are "leftist scum" running the show in Russia, China, North Korea, Pakistan, and basically ever country in the world? That requires quite an effort to ignore actual evidence to the contrary.
    Ultimately, there is one inconvenient problem for you that just will not go away no matter how hard you wish it would: This is a disease with a survival rate of nearly 100%.

That reduces every single argument you can make to, "I fell for it, so you're wrong." Too bad.

Did you really just ask whether China and North Korea are run by leftists?

Yes, they are scum; no quotes are needed.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ultimately, there is one inconvenient problem for you that just will not go away no matter how hard you wish it would: This is a disease with a survival rate of nearly 100%.

That reduces every single argument you can make to, "I fell for it, so you're wrong." Too bad.

Did you really just ask whether China and North Korea are run by leftists?

Yes, they are scum; no quotes are needed.
    It isn't a problem for me at all. Doesn't matter what the survival rate is 0%, 35%, 90% or 100%. What we have all been talking about (well except for you, you want to win some convoluted math argument with the world) for pages and pages now is how to restart economic life. That is ALL about consumer confidence and making people comfortable and removing anxiety so that they will reengage in the phenomenal amounts of consumer spending that it takes to run the US economy. So looking at the data and looking at the available measures -- the way "out" becomes clear. Wear masks. Strict Social Distancing. And their still needs to be a considerable ramp-up in testing availability and access. That will allay public fear and anxiety somewhat and get the economic car back on the road. But; why worry about that when we can finally reveal the vast global conspiracy of leftists that apparently includes BLM, CNN, the Chinese Communist Party, the North Korean Communist Party, and most likely little green men from Mars. But, I'm the unreasonable one? I'm the one who is tying myself up in knots trying to "justify" things?

I mean - that was kind of a mic drop moment, but you can keep arguing if you want.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

https://www.google.com/search?q=u.s....hrome&ie=UTF-8

This is hardly close to a 100% survival rate. I may agree that the business closures are over-done but the threat to the general population is real. Talking stats is not the same thing as reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=u.s....hrome&ie=UTF-8

This is hardly close to a 100% survival rate. I may agree that the business closures are over-done but the threat to the general population is real. Talking stats is not the same thing as reality.
    Confirmed cases (those who have tested positive) are much lower than actual cases (everyone who has had the disease, including those who never got tested or never knew they had it).

Numerous studies using random antibody testing on the population at large have all confirmed death rates between
    0.1% and 0.3% of those infected. In other words, a 99.7% to 99.9% survival rate. All the talk of a 3% or a 5% death rate has been thoroughly disproven.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Confirmed cases (those who have tested positive) are much lower than actual cases (everyone who has had the disease, including those who never got tested or never knew they had it).

Numerous studies using random antibody testing on the population at large have all confirmed death rates between
    0.1% and 0.3% of those infected. In other words, a 99.7% to 99.9% survival rate. All the talk of a 3% or a 5% death rate has been thoroughly disproven.
    Stats vs real numbers show different pictures of the toll.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Garbage in, garbage out.

Florida Department of Health says some labs have not reported negative COVID-19 results

Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive. Other labs had very high positivity rates. FOX 35 News found that testing sites like one local Central Care reported that 83 people were tested and all tested positive. Then, NCF Diagnostics in Alachua reported 88 percent of tests were positive.
    https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fo...vid-19-results

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Stats vs real numbers show different pictures of the toll.
    Stats are real numbers.

If you mean percentages versus absolute numbers, clearly what has been going on is that they use the percentage when it would be more scary, and ignore the absolute number ... or use the absolute number when it would be more scary, and leave out the percentage.

If I told you that coronavirus cases were up 140% this month in a city, that would make it sound like things are raging out of control. If I told you there were 75 cases out of 200,000 people and now there are 180, you probably would say that's not much different. Yet that is an actual statistic being used to justify locking down the city.

If I told you 130,000 people died, that would sound like a lot, unless I told you that was out of 330 million, and you also had an accurate concept of what 330 million is (most don't). On the other hand, if I said 0.03% of the population was going to die in the next 6 months and the median age of death would be 81, you'd probably say that sounds like any other year.

So I guess you are right, the kind of numbers being used do tell different stories. From the beginning, the media has deliberately used the numbers that provide the most distorted version of the truth, in an attempt to mislead.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Going backwards even more now in PA because people can’t follow a simple mask rule...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Going backwards even more now in PA because people can’t follow a simple mask rule...lol.
    I have to say, the people here in VA are doing a pretty good job, we like it, but we’re adhering to it. They even have masks on to watch the statues come down.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You are going backwards because your governor wants you miserable, not because people can't follow a simple mask rule.

Seriously, people get so caught up arguing over stupid shit like masks and hydroxychloroquine that the main point is completely lost. It is like a cat being led around with a laser pointer.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I have to say, the people here in VA are doing a pretty good job, we like it, but we’re adhering to it. They even have masks on to watch the statues come down.
    So, if they dont count the number of statues that come down....were they not actually taken down then? There is some logic here that I am trying to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So, if they dont count the number of statues that come down....were they not actually taken down then? There is some logic here that I am trying to see if it works.
    Only if you have a liberal governor. In other news...this was some interesting fun with math...https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/polit...ity/index.html

You are going backwards because your governor wants you miserable, not because people can't follow a simple mask rule.

Seriously, people get so caught up arguing over stupid shit like masks and hydroxychloroquine that the main point is completely lost. It is like a cat being led around with a laser pointer.
    Here is the thing. Assume this was all a plot by a cabal of leftists across the globe to cow the populace into terror and prep them for subjugation...let's call this the "Boil The Frog Hypothesis (BFH)". Further, as I understand it, the end goal of the BFH is to gain control of the levers and seats of power here and across the world. Well...strap in buttercup...because if even 50% of the stuff you have put forth as cautions against the BFH is true; then the frog was boiled a long time ago and no one noticed.

For COVID to be this long con it requires that the leftist cabal control media in literally every corner of the globe. There are 195 countries in the world right now. I would estimate that in 90+% of these places the policies of the global cabal of leftists is being instituted and adhered to during COVID. They are also in almost total control over medical science and economic studies across the globe.

My point is that if COVID is a warning sign of the BFH -- you all are far too late. The leftist cabal you are terrified of is not using this to gain power -- they've already won. They have the media, science, healthcare, and policy on lock in 9/10 places in the world. That's game over man.

Alternatively, the science and data says one thing and the anxiety and fears of the personal liberty crowd say another and there is no vast global conspiracy to heroically resist.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol. No.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Only if you have a liberal governor. In other news...this was some interesting fun with math...https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/polit...ity/index.html
    A Governor that was an Economic Major, who believes that Herd Immunity is not a viable option. Interesting article. I bet 80% of the members that read this post will instantly guess what party he belongs to and will not read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    A Governor that was an Economic Major, who believes that Herd Immunity is not a viable option. Interesting article. I bet 80% of the members that read this post will instantly guess what party he belongs to and will not read the article.
    That is a solid estimate. It also likely hinges on how well you understand what a million truly is...

Stats are real numbers.

If you mean percentages versus absolute numbers, clearly what has been going on is that they use the percentage when it would be more scary, and ignore the absolute number ... or use the absolute number when it would be more scary, and leave out the percentage.

If I told you that coronavirus cases were up 140% this month in a city, that would make it sound like things are raging out of control. If I told you there were 75 cases out of 200,000 people and now there are 180, you probably would say that's not much different. Yet that is an actual statistic being used to justify locking down the city.

If I told you 130,000 people died, that would sound like a lot, unless I told you that was out of 330 million, and you also had an accurate concept of what 330 million is (most don't). On the other hand, if I said 0.03% of the population was going to die in the next 6 months and the median age of death would be 81, you'd probably say that sounds like any other year.

So I guess you are right, the kind of numbers being used do tell different stories. From the beginning, the media has deliberately used the numbers that provide the most distorted version of the truth, in an attempt to mislead.
    There is your problem, and it colors everything else you post. This is not a conspiracy. It is not a cabal working to subjugate the masses. It is simply individual organizations trying to sensationalize the news to get more clicks or more minutes of viewing time for their programming.

Stats are real numbers.

130,000 is still a lot of people no matter out of what total. Percentages are low, numbers are high.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    There is your problem, and it colors everything else you post. This is not a conspiracy. It is not a cabal working to subjugate the masses. It is simply individual organizations trying to sensationalize the news to get more clicks or more minutes of viewing time for their programming.
    No, it is not a "conspiracy." It is a bunch of different people and groups who shared a coinciding interest in creating a panic. They don't have to talk to each other, they don't have to plan and coordinate - they just share the same miserable mentality and the same desire to force it on everyone else, and this was a golden opportunity.

At the core of spreading the fear was the mainstream media, which - as the recently departed opinion page editor of the New York Times described it - has become a "performance space" instead of an attempt to report the news. Increasingly, journalists get into the field not to do journalism, but because it provides a platform to amplify their own voices and advance their own views. They are overwhelmingly left-leaning; research on publicly available campaign contribution records puts Democratic Party support at well over 90%.

And these are the ones who control what information is presented and how; who wield the power of public shaming, of fear, and of cancel culture. They absolutely were able to cajole the public and the government into action.

At this point, it is not even a question of whether the right action was taken or not. The evidence is in, and despite a few sad-sack cases who are still clinging to the narrative of mid-March, all the evidence overwhelmingly indicates that the response was a huge mistake. The only question is who is to blame and why the response was allowed to get so far out of control. And let me tell you, it sure wasn't Breitbart or Trump screaming shut it all down.

I was no fan of the GOP and still can't say I am crazy about them, but the left has so thoroughly trampled on people with this, and destroyed any shred of credibility they had, that I cannot imagine how anyone could justify any opinion toward them other than an intense lifelong hatred.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

If I told you that wearing a hat could prevent thousands from getting sick and dozens from dying - would you argue with me about the percent of the population that represented and background deaths/year or would just wear a hat in the hopes that it helped save a few people from any suffering?

I mean at some point is this not a window into individual priorities?