Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin says Steelers will stick with what they have

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Tomlin says Steelers will stick with what they have

Mike Tomlin has no magic wand to wave over his offensive line to make it better, and that includes signing tackle Flozell Adams.

The Steelers coach made that perfectly clear when he said he will go with what he has when they play Sunday in Houston.

"Make no mistake, we intend to prepare with the men that we have here," Tomlin said Tuesday. "Those will be the guys that will help us win this football game. Anyone we add will be simply for the purposes of practice or numbers."..........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11271/1178021-66.stm

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Tomlin says Steelers will stick with what they have

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Mike Tomlin has no magic wand to wave over his offensive line to make it better, and that includes signing tackle Flozell Adams.

The Steelers coach made that perfectly clear when he said he will go with what he has when they play Sunday in Houston.

"Make no mistake, we intend to prepare with the men that we have here," Tomlin said Tuesday. "Those will be the guys that will help us win this football game. Anyone we add will be simply for the purposes of practice or numbers."..........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11271/1178021-66.stm
    Ummm, OK, well then can you add Flozell for the purposes of practice or numbers?

Just sayin.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He also said they'd be open to bringing someone in...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

So in other words we're in for (another) long season of the o-line totally sucking.

Banned Array title="Spike is just really nice">

"Marcus Gilbert will be at right tackle. We are comfortable with what he is doing and with Trai Essex lining up on the left side, and what he is capable of doing on the left side of our offensive line. We have played a lot of football with Trai in the past, and he has generally been above the line, and that is what we anticipate him playing."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1ZFp4stCk

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Also, the recent CBA agreement limiting padded practices isn't going to help cohesiveness to our musical chairs problem.

For Ben's sake, I hope they are up to the task. Houston has a good team. Our issues will surely be on their game plan radar.

I have reserved confidence because of the competition, but I really think it will come down to the D limiting their scoring opportunities more than anything. There will be problems keeping up if they get more than 30... Then we'll be one dimensional again.

I'd like to see Woodley show up and make some impact plays. So far, I think he's been a non-factor.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Can Essex be any worse than JScott? I mean, it's been a long time since he played there but do we have any other choice?

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I would think that Essex would be at least a small improvement over Scott... I hope.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

What Mike Tomlin isn't telling you:

1. We are up against the cap, maybe $2.5M in cap room. Flo wants $5M to play this year, even if he signs the day before the final game of the season. So we can't sign him because we cant get him to sign for under our cap number.

2. Who out there is really available to sign? Anyone out there worth a damn is already on a team. Our only options are to sign guys off of our own or other team's practice squads...guys not good enough to make final 53 man rosters.

The Steelers really don't have much of an option but to go with what they have and sign a street guy or two for depth/practice.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

It's going to be a long year.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Can Essex be any worse than JScott? I mean, it's been a long time since he played there but do we have any other choice?
    No, I don't think it's possible to be any worse than Scott. I'm not a fan of Essex but he played OK previously at LT when filling in for Starks.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

If I had to guess, the team would like to have Essex be the backup because he is so versatile. Scott can only play both tackle spots and hasn't played RT since the preseason last year IIRC.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Offensive Line is what it is. It sucks and we can only ask for mediocrity.

What can be fixed is the recent influx of sloppy turnovers. Bad O-Line or not. Ben is not doing a good job of taking care of the football. It's like throwing more gasoline on a grease fire.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Just watching Essex play right tackle in place of Gilbert makes me pray for a speedy recovery for Jonathan Scott. Honest to God, he stunk worse than shit on asphalt in the few plays he had. and that's going to be Ben's blind side protection?!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Just watching Essex play right tackle in place of Gilbert makes me pray for a speedy recovery for Jonathan Scott. Honest to God, he stunk worse than shit on asphalt in the few plays he had. and that's going to be Ben's blind side protection?!
    Yes, but Essex has always been a better LT than RT for whatever reason. I'm not saying he's any good, he just doesn't suck as bad at the LT spot.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

whelp any good oline in next years draft? please take one in the first even if it means moving up and giving up like a 3rd round pick

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    whelp any good oline in next years draft? please take one in the first even if it means moving up and giving up like a 3rd round pick
    How many years have we already been asking for that? I like Cam Heyward but why did we once again use a 1st on a DE when we needed OL so badly? I just hope that Gilbert turns into a good starter.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Yes, but Essex has always been a better LT than RT for whatever reason. I'm not saying he's any good, he just doesn't suck as bad at the LT spot.
    Trai last played left tackle in 2008. In dog years that's foreverish, and that old dog was mediocre then, I'm scared to think what he might look like for an entire game now.

Get well soon Jonathan Scott. You truly suck, but I'll wager you suck about a hundred times less than trai.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    How many years have we already been asking for that? I like Cam Heyward but why did we once again use a 1st on a DE when we needed OL so badly? I just hope that Gilbert turns into a good starter.
    Exactly!!

Could have had Brian Bulaga and JD Walton instead of Pouncey and Worilds last year. Could have had Kory Lichtensteiger and Carl Nicks instead of Bruce Davis and Tony Hills in 2008. O line has been neglected for years.

I still think Demarcus Love who was drafted in the 6th should have been taken instead of Carter this year.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Because the DL is aging and needed an influx of youth. Just like on offense, the Steelers' D starts up front. That doesn't, however, excuse them from not trying to fix the problem in the 2nd round when there is usually still some talent left on the OL. I had more of a problem with them drafting Worilds in the 2nd round last year. Completely unnecessary pick since they had already signed Harrison to a long-term deal and both Woodley and Timmons were due to hit the jackpot.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

it's easy to have 20-20 hindsight...if the o-line was playing decent and Cam was already merking against the opposition right now we'd probably be saying the opposite. Aaron Smith is sucking horribly so far by the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Because the DL is aging and needed an influx of youth. Just like on offense, the Steelers' D starts up front. That doesn't, however, excuse them from not trying to fix the problem in the 2nd round when there is usually still some talent left on the OL. I had more of a problem with them drafting Worilds in the 2nd round last year. Completely unnecessary pick since they had already signed Harrison to a long-term deal and both Woodley and Timmons were due to hit the jackpot.
    Yes, but we already drafted Ziggy in the first a few years ago. Keisel still has a lot of good years left in him. It would've probably been smarter to take a NT this year than a DE. Besides, I think that it's easier to get good 3-4 DEs later in the draft than it is to get good OL.

I definitely agree about Worilds. There was no reason to take an OLBer in the 2nd round last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    it's easy to have 20-20 hindsight...if the o-line was playing decent and Cam was already merking against the opposition right now we'd probably be saying the opposite. Aaron Smith is sucking horribly so far by the way...
    Of course it is. That's what we're here for!

The OL has played poorly for so long and it's been mostly ignored besides later round draft picks and retreads that no one else wanted.

Anyone else notice how well Buffalo's OL has been playing this year? They've only given up 2 sacks and their running backs are averaging 5.6 yards per carry. Funny how they've turned it around so fast after firing Kugler.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Actually the complaints about about the offensive line (and shitty drafting with regard to the line) have been loud and consistent the last 5 years to best of my recollection.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Well Mike... what your going to have is an injured Ben.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

And I don't want to hear anything about this being the fault of Mike Tomlin. He doesn't choose who gets drafted, who gets signed as a FA, and who gets cut (for the big names); that's up the Kevin Colbert, the General Manager. Before Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers hadn't drafted an offensive lineman since 1998 when they took Alan Faneca. The o-line has been neglected for many years.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    And I don't want to hear anything about this being the fault of Mike Tomlin. He doesn't choose who gets drafted, who gets signed as a FA, and who gets cut (for the big names); that's up the Kevin Colbert, the General Manager. Before Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers hadn't drafted an offensive lineman since 1998 when they took Alan Faneca. The o-line has been neglected for many years.
    It doesn't matter who's fault it is BND.....Ben will not survive the season under these conditions.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    Tomlin definitely has a say on those decisions. He and Colbert collabarte on those events.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Another year that Ben is going to be running for his life. I'm glad we don't play the rats for a while. Maybe by some act of God the o-line will improve. I know the answer to that.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes, but we already drafted Ziggy in the first a few years ago. Keisel still has a lot of good years left in him. It would've probably been smarter to take a NT this year than a DE. Besides, I think that it's easier to get good 3-4 DEs later in the draft than it is to get good OL.

I definitely agree about Worilds. There was no reason to take an OLBer in the 2nd round last year.
    I agree in principle with the last part - we could have done without Worilds. Of course, if Harrison's back goes out and Worilds becomes a Pro Bowler, then in hindsight we might all be grateful for the drafting of Worilds. Still, as it stands now, I would rather have had a o'linemen.

As for drafting Cam, I am still good with that. As was stated above, the d'linemen have to be stout in the 3-4 or the entire defense falls apart, regardless of how good the rest of the d is. In addition, even the most talented d'linemen need a few years to make the adjustment to the 3-4, since almost nobody runs it in collage. Next year we will have to find Casey's replacement as well as rebuilding the o'line.