Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ta'amu

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Ta'amu

IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick. I am just giving my opinion on the pick. I know many on here feel every pick made is the best ever.

One thing I do find puzzling about him is his strength. How can he only bench 335lbs? Perhaps it was a typo, but if not doesn't that seem very low for a person his size? I am not suggesting it will make him useless, but it is odd, IMO.
    Hater = Realist

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick. I am just giving my opinion on the pick. I know many on here feel every pick made is the best ever
    Not saying that. There are others who agree that Chapman would have been the better pick. I just take later-round picks for what they are - guys that you hope pan out, but more often than not end up being washouts. There aren't many Antonio Browns out there.

True, but it makes the board more interesting when all of the draft picks are discussed.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick.
    I have to agree with you here, IMO Chapman is the better player. We'll have to wait and see how things turn out though. I'm happy about the pick, I'm just surprised that they choose Ta'amu over Chapman.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Fun fact: Decastro was lined up against Alameda Ta'amu for most of the game that Stanford rushed for a school record 446 yards against the Huskies (65-21 victory). Stanford OC Bloomgren credits him for taking him out of the game.

...hope the fact that they are on the same team now will bring a lot of competitive energy out of both of them.
    Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ne-633436/?p=0
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Wow, great call GBMelBlount!
    I like how u think.

I think we got the best pure NT in the draft. I know the Por And Chapman fans will think otherwise, but I think he can start this year, then replace Hampton in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Fun fact: Decastro was lined up against Alameda Ta'amu for most of the game that Stanford rushed for a school record 446 yards against the Huskies (65-21 victory). Stanford OC Bloomgren credits him for taking him out of the game.

...hope the fact that they are on the same team now will bring a lot of competitive energy out of both of them.
    Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ne-633436/?p=0
    Also, he had a terrible bowl game against Baylor, reportedly struggled to get off blocks and couldn't control the middle of the line which was gashed by the Bears to the tune of 482 rush yards en route to 67 points. That is a lot of yards to give up on the ground.

Here is the entire bowl game if anyone is interested in watching it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJOGZj7dEI

Hoping for the best though.

I am still surprised that he can only bench 335.
    Hater = Realist

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I watched one game of him and came away impressed. Some have questioned his conditioning but when I watched him against Nebraska, he was on the field for nearly every snap vs a run heavy, option offense. He's a strong guy who gets penetration vs the run and can force plays East/West.

My biggest issue with him is managing his weight, but I'll have that concern with any big ugly, and getting his arms consistently extended. He would sometimes short-arm it and get washed out of the play.

It didn't sound like Chapman was in the Steelers' plans. Just listening to Colbert, he said that he felt Ta'amu was the last NT left on the board. Chapman's medical could have taken him off of our board.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I like how u think.

I think we got the best pure NT in the draft. I know the Por And Chapman fans will think otherwise, but I think he can start this year, then replace Hampton in 2013
    Of course it was actually YOUR good call.

I would have been ecstatic with Chapman as well.

It was a judgment call. Simple as that.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Also, he had a terrible bowl game against Baylor, reportedly struggled to get off blocks and couldn't control the middle of the line which was gashed by the Bears to the tune of 482 rush yards en route to 67 points. That is a lot of yards to give up on the ground.

Here is the entire bowl game if anyone is interested in watching it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJOGZj7dEI

Hoping for the best though.

I am still surprised that he can only bench 335.
    Dude, I don't normally have any issue with you...but what is with your obsession with Taamu and the bench press of 335?

He put up 35 reps at the combine. That was 5th best of any d tackles at the combine. He's obviously been to the weight room. chapman only put up 29 reps at his pro day.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Dude, I don't normally have any issue with you...but what is with your obsession with Taamu and the bench press of 335?

He put up 35 reps at the combine. That was 5th best of any d tackles at the combine. He's obviously been to the weight room.
    I didn't necessarily say I had a problem with it. I am surprised by how low the number was in relation to his size. He can't even bench his own weight? He only benches 20 more pounds than me. Also, due to his position wouldn't a good bench be better than a lower one?

In my other post I hinted at it possibly being a typo
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I didn't necessarily say I had a problem with it. I am surprised by how low the number was in relation to his size. He can't even bench his own weight? He only benches 20 more pounds than me. Also, due to his position wouldn't a good bench be better than a lower one?

Dude, I'm much more impressed with his bench-press ability than yours. You're the fucking Hulk; you can do better than that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I saw that game. DeCastro DESTROYED Ta'amu on nearly every snap.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick. I am just giving my opinion on the pick. I know many on here feel every pick made is the best ever.

One thing I do find puzzling about him is his strength. How can he only bench 335lbs? Perhaps it was a typo, but if not doesn't that seem very low for a person his size? I am not suggesting it will make him useless, but it is odd, IMO.
    Ta'amu does have some issues. And I have felt like Chapman is the much better player all along. But if the staff felt like Ta'amu is the better fit I'm not going to take serious issue with it.

Our newest nose tackle is definitely inconsistent, but he does have some serious skills. He's not just some obese guy off the street. I saw flashes of very special play from Ta'amu. It wasn't there often, you definitely had to search but there were times he showed that he could penetrate. And as far as taking on a double team goes - he can handle that. Granted, I think Josh Chapman handles it even better, but if we just focus on Ta'amu handling blocking schemes that will be thrown his way in our 34 he should be fine. Now - the one thing I will say is I think Ta'amu needs some serious coaching. At Washington there were drives where he would absolutely disappear. He seems like a streaky guy. If a drive starts off poorly for him, it generally didn't improve. I don't know if that is a commentary on his attitude/frustration level or what - but that stood out to me. Perhaps that is where a guy like McLendon will be valuable. Maybe if Ta'amu is getting a little frustrated out there we run the rotational guy onto the field before it's too late.

So, as I've pointed out Ta'amu has some real flaws. But as a fourth round pick? I'll take it. Because he also has second round talent.

ok I think we are saying the same thing here. A good bench would be better than a lower one. Taamu benched 35 reps and Chapman benched 29 reps. Both have enough strength to handle the position.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I think most of the scouting reports of Ta'amu were evaluating him as a 4-3 DT, and not necessarily a 3-4 NT. I mean, half the evaluations I saw were all about his pass rush skills.

All that matters as far as the Steelers NT is concerned is can he (with coaching) consistently occupy more than one blocker? He's got the body for it, and he's no weakling. The Steelers think he's a Hampton clone, and I tend to agree with them at this point....
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ta'amu played in a 4-3 in Washington, but when you look at his play, plays more like a 3-4 Nose Tackle/D-End. He tied up space instead of doing real pass rushing. That's why he didn't grade so high and that's why the Steelers took a shot on him.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He has the capability to do exactly what the Steelers need specifically. Hampton is not asked to sack the QB, but instead take up space and let the LBs do their job. I think there is more concern about Ta's knees and shoulder as reported, than his ability to fit into our system. Anything he is lacking can be taught.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Watching how Decastro HANDLED Taamu in college, i think you guys are forgetting what this could mean for our rivalry against the Ravens. 2 would-be probowlers on Haloti Ngata? This is really going to help against some of those 3-4 defenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I really, really like the pick.

A lot of the scouting reports I feel look at him from a 4-3 DT scheme than a 3-4 NT scheme. His job as the NT in this scheme to to occupy two blockers. Not make a bunch of tackles and sack the quarterback. He has the body for it, and I think he has the skill for it...it's just going to take coaching, and the Steelers have great coaching.

He's a fourth round pick with second round talent. That's a steal. If he does wash out, he was just a fourth rounder. If he does become the starter at the nose tackle position for eight to ten years, then we got great value with a fourth round pick. It's a low risk-high reward pick in my opinion.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/embed/yWOOA2V1k1k

He'd better get double teamed because he dominated in 1on1's in this game vs Wash St.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWOMTBp5M-Q

I know. It's a Andrew Luck Highlight, but here is a better glimpse of DeCastro and Ta'amu in the same game.

DeCastro = 52
    Taamu = 74

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah, the scouting reports did not sound that flattering, but hopefully the coaches at this level can break him of some of his bad habits. The mere fact that we even TRIED to get a NT after all these years has me excited.
    Yep, I trust LeBeau to do a great job with Ta'amu, finally we've got a NT !

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Ken Laird@Ken_Laird
    • Alameda Ta'amu, 6'2 1/2", 348 lbs, pronounced "al-uh-MEE-duh tah-AH-moo"
    Pal la ma loo.......
    glad john madden is retired

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I trust the Steelers to know their needs better and to have more familiarity and information on the available players than any of us. Sure they'll miss on their share. But the record speaks for itself. They're deserving of my benefit of the doubt. I believe they addressed their needs pretty well with this draft. In fact I would say the evidence suggests that they feel they got lucky in how things shook out and who fell to them. And that they traded up for Ta'amu in the 4th round tells me he's a better fit for the Steelers than Chapman would have been. I like the pick.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I trust the Steelers to know their needs better and to have more familiarity and information on the available players than any of us. Sure they'll miss on their share. But the record speaks for itself. They're deserving of my benefit of the doubt. I believe they addressed their needs pretty well with this draft. In fact I would say the evidence suggests that they feel they got lucky in how things shook out and who fell to them. And that they traded up for Ta'amu in the 4th round tells me he's a better fit for the Steelers than Chapman would have been. I like the pick.
    Like I said yesterday, I don't think Chapman was even an option for us. My guess is that he was a medical red flag. Check out Colbert's comments.

there were only four or five nose tackle types that were available and he was the last man standing. We felt that when you look at that and you look at what’s behind him, sometimes you have to trade up to secure him. We didn’t feel that we reached for him, but we knew behind him there probably weren’t a lot of options. We wanted to secure him and we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWOMTBp5M-Q

I know. It's a Andrew Luck Highlight, but here is a better glimpse of DeCastro and Ta'amu in the same game.

DeCastro = 52
    Taamu = 74
    Good vid. Ta'amu is what I expect. He walks back the O lineman into the pocket at 1:00 mark of that, they even drop him in coverage on a zone blitz at the 2:00 mark and at 2:20 he drives back the defender on goal line play action.

He's a load of a guy, with nimble feet as he actually uses a spin move a few times on pass rush, but will learn to play 2 gap and occupy blockers more than one gap and get up the field like in that video. He may even start this season at some point.

22. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington. After a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl, Ta'amu's name is on the lips of every NFL team that plays a 3-4 defense and needs a physically dominant nose tackle.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1td7KDTRD

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington: If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1td7Y0YkN

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

And that wasn't against Washington State or Colorado, that was an all-star game playing against top college talent.

Shows what kind of progress he made after just a week or so of being coached up...
    Fire Goodell

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Ken Laird@Ken_Laird
    • Alameda Ta'amu, 6'2 1/2", 348 lbs, pronounced "al-uh-MEE-duh tah-AH-moo"
    Pal la ma loo.......
    "Dats where day keep da nuclear wessels?