Thread: Dont rule out Mason Rudolph as the Steelers' backup QB

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Dont rule out Mason Rudolph as the Steelers' backup QB

Mike Tomlin traditionally declines to offer opinions about his rookies after these spring sessions without pads, and he did not do so after they concluded Thursday.

It does not mean others watching Steelers practices since the rookie minicamp in May held back their own thoughts, and among the most significant is this:

Quarterback Mason Rudolph lived up to their expectations and then some. He has performed better as a rookie than any other quarterback they’ve drafted since Ben Roethlisberger, and they think he can compete in training camp to become his backup...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201806140150

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Dont rule out Mason Rudolph as the Steelers' backup QB

He really is looking good which is awesome news for us Steelers fans.

Would be amazing to have our next franchise QB in the wings waiting. Can't wait for training camp and pre season.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

And all we gave up to get him was a dope head who's about to get the ban hammer from the NFL...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And all we gave up to get him was a dope head who's about to get the ban hammer from the NFL...
    The Front Office is clueless......

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I thought he would have relapsed by week 8 of last season and been suspended then. At least Colbert found a sucker to take him off the Steelers hands AND get something good in return.

As for Rudolph getting the backup nod after minicamp...……….child please. He has zero NFL experience and if you look at his inability to handle the pressure of a game winning drive vs Kansas State and then the same inability to engineer a game winning drive vs Oklahoma, from the Oklahoma 45 yard line...I think we will see the kid needs some time before he gets the backup job on a team with SB aspirations.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I thought he would have relapsed by week 8 of last season and been suspended then. At least Colbert found a sucker to take him off the Steelers hands AND get something good in return.

As for Rudolph getting the backup nod after minicamp...……….child please. He has zero NFL experience and if you look at his inability to handle the pressure of a game winning drive vs Kansas State and then the same inability to engineer a game winning drive vs Oklahoma, from the Oklahoma 45 yard line...I think we will see the kid needs some time before he gets the backup job on a team with SB aspirations.
    Totally. Has he even thrown against a defense in pads yet? What about a defense that is gameplannning against him? To borrow from Denny Green...if you want to crown him....

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

This is great news!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I watched a lot of Mason Rudolph last season. He did have one of the best deep balls in CFB last season. Dobbs has a very nice deep ball as well. The problem with both has been the short to intermediate throws. They both tend to throw the ball high, OR miss the receiver all together at those ranges. The main points I question about Rudolph is his overall accuracy and his mobility. He took a lot of sacks last season as well. I may not 'rule out' Rudolph's chance to become Ben's backup this season. But I put that happening more on what the other guys lack over what Rudolph currently brings. NOT SAYING HE CAN'T, just saying I do not see those qualities just yet. I HOPE he does because what we have currently sucks.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

not saying but just saying ....

we heard a lot a noise about Big Ben playing poorly in his limited big games vs D1 comp too ...

in the grand scheme of things none of that seemed to matter when surrounded by other pro caliber players ...

we can keep beating this same old drum but the tune doesnt change , he would have won 1 of those games if not for a dropped pass of a very catchable ball that would have gave him a 1st down in FG range

but instead we will just continue painting the doom and gloom picture and pass it off as a Van Gogh ....

Novel idea :

how about we wait till training camp and the preseason to proclaim he is or is not ready ???
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    not saying but just saying ....

we heard a lot a noise about Big Ben playing poorly in his limited big games vs D1 comp too ...

in the grand scheme of things none of that seemed to matter when surrounded by other pro caliber players ...

we can keep beating this same old drum but the tune doesnt change , he would have won 1 of those games if not for a dropped pass of a very catchable ball that would have gave him a 1st down in FG range

but instead we will just continue painting the doom and gloom picture and pass it off as a Van Gogh ....

Novel idea :

how about we wait till training camp and the preseason to proclaim he is or is not ready ???
    This!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I watched a lot of Mason Rudolph last season. He did have one of the best deep balls in CFB last season. Dobbs has a very nice deep ball as well. The problem with both has been the short to intermediate throws. They both tend to throw the ball high, OR miss the receiver all together at those ranges. The main points I question about Rudolph is his overall accuracy and his mobility. He took a lot of sacks last season as well. I may not 'rule out' Rudolph's chance to become Ben's backup this season. But I put that happening more on what the other guys lack over what Rudolph currently brings. NOT SAYING HE CAN'T, just saying I do not see those qualities just yet. I HOPE he does because what we have currently sucks.
    Thanks for bringing this up. Rudolph does throw the ball and miss WR's high a lot. The incompletions in crunch time vs K State were all overthrows. I think its mechanics with his front hand and not moving his feet, but rather being flat footed at times changing from option 1 to option 2, etc. I am hopeful that reps and coaching can fix that.

Will he be the #2, I agree with you that I don't think he cant, but I personally see a lot of holes in his game and if Ben went down for 2 games, I don't think the Steelers will want to be putting the football in the hands of a guy with no experience in the NFL , that has issues overthrowing intermediate passes.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Thanks for bringing this up. Rudolph does throw the ball and miss WR's high a lot. The incompletions in crunch time vs K State were all overthrows. I think its mechanics with his front hand and not moving his feet, but rather being flat footed at times changing from option 1 to option 2, etc. I am hopeful that reps and coaching can fix that.

Will he be the #2, I agree with you that I don't think he cant, but I personally see a lot of holes in his game and if Ben went down for 2 games, I don't think the Steelers will want to be putting the football in the hands of a guy with no experience in the NFL , that has issues overthrowing intermediate passes.
    Yeah everybody hates on Jones, but if Ben misses 2 games, I'm fairly confident that we go 1-1 with Landry.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Yeah everybody hates on Jones, but if Ben misses 2 games, I'm fairly confident that we go 1-1 with Landry.
    I'd even say 2-0 depending on who we play. When he started vs the Pats it isn't like we got blown out or anything.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I'm not going to count my chickens before they're hatched. Time will tell with Mason, but I would love, love, love it if he claimed the #2 spot.

Time to take out the Laundry, Mason!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Ben goes down for 1-2 games, it is Landry time. If Ben is out 3-5 weeks and Landry struggles, Rudolph will get a shot - assuming he looks good in the preseason.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It is probable that Rudolph will look better than Landry, Landry really isn't that good and makes it a habit to struggle against 3rd string/practice squad defenders in preseason. Now whether or not Tomlin will put Rudolph at no. 2 or keep Landry at no. 2 is a different story. Tomlin and the other coaches likely talk themselves into keeping Landry at no. 2 regardless of who plays better because "oh but Landry has more experience in the system"

As for Rudolph getting the backup nod after minicamp...……….child please.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not what the article said. It said that he has impressed his coaches and as such, he is now in a position to compete for the position. That's vastly different than "getting the backup nod."

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If he's not the #2 by the start of the season i'll be disappointed. LJ is a career backup at best

Yeah, I think I agree with you on that. Its why I don't see Jones not making the 53, but I also thought Antowan Blake was the worst CB on the Steelers roster and they kept starting him week after week a few seasons ago.

Yeah, I think I agree with you on that. Its why I don't see Jones not making the 53, but I also thought Antowan Blake was the worst CB on the Steelers roster and they kept starting him week after week a few seasons ago.
    I'm not sure I see that unless we're playing the Browns in one of those games. Otherwise, one of our other stars will have to have an outstanding game to make up the difference. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Landry will lose a game for us, but I can't see him doing anything that will win a game for us, either. In other words, I think he's another Charlie Batch with a stronger arm and perhaps more durability, but also lacking the experience Batch had. And, when Batch came into a game, the best we could hope for was that he didn't get hurt because while he wouldn't do much to help us, again, he wouldn't do much to hurt us, either.

I kinda feel like we can go in circles with this issue. But Rudolph is making the final 53 unless he asualts a member of the Rooney family. So the only really interesting question is Dobbs and Jones. They are gonna carry 3. Two are Ben and the Reinder. So Dobbs and Jones have to worry about who needs a real estate agent.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I can't see Jones not making the 53.

Hoping Dobbs shows enough in the preseason that some team will trade something for him.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

If Rudolph is as good as Jones or better, the Steelers might be able to trade Jones for something. Otherwise Dobbs is going to be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I kinda feel like we can go in circles with this issue. But Rudolph is making the final 53 unless he asualts a member of the Rooney family. So the only really interesting question is Dobbs and Jones. They are gonna carry 3. Two are Ben and the Reinder. So Dobbs and Jones have to worry about who needs a real estate agent license.
    Fixed it for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    If Rudolph is as good as Jones or better, the Steelers might be able to trade Jones for something. Otherwise Dobbs is going to be cut.
    Yep, although I still think they are going to try and bring him back for the practice squad.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

This will actually be a pre season I won't want to miss, best case scenario is he lights it up a and another teams needs a back up and Steelers get a 7th rounder for Landry. Or Dobbs lights it up and they get rid of Landry. Realistically I say Landry is #2 to start season. I hope Rudolph and Dobbs get most of playing time. I think Landry has hit his ceiling so not much to see that we already haven't