Thread: Some Interesting Upcoming Steelers' Secondary Battles

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Some Interesting Upcoming Steelers' Secondary Battles

Originally posted on Pro Football Rumors

By Sam Robinson | Last updated 7/8/18

Here’s the latest from the AFC North:

On the subject of unsettled secondary situations, the Steelers look to feature training camp battles for the spots that Joe Haden and Morgan Burnett do not hold. The main uncertainty here going into camp looks to be 2017 third-rounder Cameron Sutton, whom Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes could settle in at outside corner, in the slot, or as Burnett’s running mate on the back end. While the 5-foot-11, 188-pound Sutton would make for a diminutive safety, he did receive reps there during the Steelers’ offseason program, per Rutter. Sutton started at cornerback for four seasons at Tennessee and is the Volunteers’ all-time leader in passes defensed. Artie Burns‘ job isn’t certain, per Rutter. Neither is Sean Davis‘. And with Terrell Edmunds set to factor into the mix, the Steelers could sport some interesting sub-packages this season.

to read rest of article:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...14819_26784185

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Some Interesting Upcoming Steelers' Secondary Battles

Hey, I don’t really care who we put back there as long as they are the best men for the job.
    I’m all for camp battles.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Hey, I don’t really care who we put back there as long as they are the best men for the job.
    I’m all for camp battles.
    I agree, competition breeds efficiency.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

I don't think slot is an option. Just don't see how do you get Hilton off the field.

Послато са Mi A1 уз помоћ Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    I don't think slot is an option. Just don't see how do you get Hilton off the field.

He was definitely a high spot in that secondary.

I wonder though, the Steelers brought several slot CBs in for visits and were reportedly very interested in drafting one of them if they had fallen to us in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Sutton might be even better in the slot.

I think it will come down to who are the best 3 CB on the team will get the starts. Haden is a lock IMO, so its any combination of Hilton, Burns, Sutton for the other 2....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

When the Vikings drafted Randy Moss, when they already had Chris Carter and Jake Reed, the media asked Denny Green: “How do you plan to use all three receivers/give them all enough targets to make them happy???

To which, Denny replied:
    It’s a good problem to have.”

So, the Steelers have two very, very good slot corners in Mike Hilton and Cam Sutton. But, how will we get them both enough playing time??? Well... “It’s a good problem to have.”

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    When the Vikings drafted Randy Moss, when they already had Chris Carter and Jake Reed, the media asked Denny Green: “How do you plan to use all three receivers/give them all enough targets to make them happy???

To which, Denny replied:

So, the Steelers have two very, very good slot corners in Mike Hilton and Cam Sutton. But, how will we get them both enough playing time??? Well... “It’s a good problem to have.”
    Agreed, but I think Sutton can also play outside very well too. If Burns struggles, then Haden and Sutton could be the CB on the outside IMO. But I agree that we have 2 very good slot corners

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

To which, Denny replied:

As an aside, my wife is a veterinarian who owns a clinic on the property where we live, here in our small town. Denny Green's granddaughter works for her and is a very sweet girl, still in college. She is traveling to Minnesota and will be on the field when the Vikings honor Green this season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agreed, but I think Sutton can also play outside very well too. If Burns struggles, then Haden and Sutton could be the CB on the outside IMO. But I agree that we have 2 very good slot corners
    Absolutely.

Sutton can play any position in the secondary. He was my favorite CB in that draft, and if not for an ankle injury (and a crappy season because of it), he’d have been a R1 pick. I said it then, and I’ll say it now: we got ourselves a steal.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Couldn’t care less about who plays where and when. Someone needs to emerge on the back end of the defense that can generate INTS. 2010 was the last season the Steelers ranked in the top 3rd in turnover differential. There was a stretch of negative differential that placed them at the bottom of the league and recently they are middle of the pack at +2 and +5. Recent SB teams across the league typically have something in the double digits.

That links to the discussions in the other thread about losing games. For instance the 2011 Steelers gave opponents 13 extra possessions. That is a ton of extra chances to beat you. In 2017 the Steelers were a +2. That was the lowest ranking of the playoff field. In contrast the Eagles were +11 and the Pats were +6.

So my question is can Sutton generate turnovers?

Absolutely.

Sutton can play any position in the secondary. He was my favorite CB in that draft, and if not for an ankle injury (and a crappy season because of it), he’d have been a R1 pick. I said it then, and I’ll say it now: we got ourselves a steal.
    I know that you like Sutton a lot. I just don't think he has the size/speed that would have gotten him selected in R1, even if he wasn't injured the year prior.

I recorded the Senior Bowl practices and like that because it normally puts the best of college football against peers. He shows an understanding of routes that receivers run, good technique and situational football that makes people say..."he has good instincts". I don't think its instincts, but rather he is a smart kid that understands football and makes great decisions. He uses good technique to put himself in position to make plays and I think he can do that, whether its in the slot, boundary and who knows if he can play FS, but he looks a bit slight for that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

So my question is can Sutton generate turnovers?
    He lead Tenn with INT (3) as a freshman and took one to the house I believe. Really, the Steelers can improve turnover differential by not turning it over themselves and causing fumbles. It doesn't have to come from a 2nd year CB. I'd rather have a solid CB that only had 2 INT a season, than a guy with 6 INT, who gives up big plays. IMO, a good football player in the secondary is better than a guy that cheats on coverages and tries to jump routes just to get INT.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He lead Tenn with INT (3) as a freshman and took one to the house I believe. Really, the Steelers can improve turnover differential by not turning it over themselves and causing fumbles. It doesn't have to come from a 2nd year CB. I'd rather have a solid CB that only had 2 INT a season, than a guy with 6 INT, who gives up big plays. IMO, a good football player in the secondary is better than a guy that cheats on coverages and tries to jump routes just to get INT.
    All I know is that SB winning defenses generate turnovers. Outside of Shazier this team hasn't been able to do that since Polamalus heyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    All I know is that SB winning defenses generate turnovers. Outside of Shazier this team hasn't been able to do that since Polamalus heyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is why hate stats. Top 5 in turnover margin in 2017:

Ravens +17
    Chiefs +15
    Chargers +12
    Eagles +11
    Lions and Jags +10

The Patriots had +6 and Steelers +2.

Ravens, Chargers, Lions not exactly championship caliber. So if Ben doesn't throw 5 INT, then the Steelers have a +7 and the Jags have a +5. One game can make a difference in the stat sheet, but doesn't show how well Cam Sutton, Joe Haden, etc is playing.

I know that you like Sutton a lot. I just don't think he has the size/speed that would have gotten him selected in R1, even if he wasn't injured the year prior.

I recorded the Senior Bowl practices and like that because it normally puts the best of college football against peers. He shows an understanding of routes that receivers run, good technique and situational football that makes people say..."he has good instincts". I don't think its instincts, but rather he is a smart kid that understands football and makes great decisions. He uses good technique to put himself in position to make plays and I think he can do that, whether its in the slot, boundary and who knows if he can play FS, but he looks a bit slight for that IMO.
    I’m not intending to get in a debate about whether Sutton would have had the height to go in R1, but I will say that I’ve always valued “skills” & “smarts” over height. Give me a 5’10 CB who can blanket a receiver, over a 6’1” CB who trails the receiver by two yards.

You are correct: Sutton is really, reeeally smart. During their meeting, Tomlin put up a still shot (pre-snap) of a random play from a Tennessee game. Sutton could tell Tomlin every players’ assignment on that play. Give me some of that!!!

SUMMATION:
    In three seasons, we will be saying that Carl Lawson was the biggest steal of the 2017 draft, with Cam Sutton being the second-biggest steal.