Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love Steelers football, but...

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I love Steelers football, but...

I've had about enough of the NFL and NBA players speaking their minds and protesting issues that they know nothing about. The players are wealthy because we appreciate and support what they do. They have no idea what the life of an average American is like. I'm sure a lot of you, like myself, have seen social media blasting the Steelers, as well as other teams. I can't say that I disagree with them.

Sundays use to be about waking up and watching pregame until the Steelers kicked off. Now it's about waking up and watching which athlete is going to protest and how they're going to do it. I'm done with that bullshit. I've made the decision to quit watching until something has changed. Respect the country, the flag, and the president that gives you the freedom to play a game and make millions of dollars because of the average American, who most likely voted for Trump, is supporting your ass.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: I love Steelers football, but...

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I've had about enough of the NFL and NBA players speaking their minds and protesting issues that they know nothing about. The players are wealthy because we appreciate and support what they do. They have no idea what the life of an average American is like. I'm sure a lot of you, like myself, have seen social media blasting the Steelers, as well as other teams. I can't say that I disagree with them.

Sundays use to be about waking up and watching pregame until the Steelers kicked off. Now it's about waking up and watching which athlete is going to protest and how they're going to do it. I'm done with that bullshit. I've made the decision to quit watching until something has changed. Respect the country, the flag, and the president that gives you the freedom to play a game and make millions of dollars because of the average American, who most likely voted for Trump, is supporting your ass.
    I certainly respect your decision and can understand where you are coming from. I will say one thing, the President doesn't give you freedoms, the Constitution does, and what he said on Friday night was completely out of line and very un-Presidential. He certainly had the right to say it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. He took an issue that had just about fizzled out in the NFL and threw gasoline on it and now every one is pissing and moaning at each over politics in a damn football game. He is supposed to be bringing us together but instead he drives a fucking spike right down the middle. That is all I am going to say on the matter out of respect for your opinion. Good luck bud, sorry that football has been ruined for you.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

To each his own.
    I personally am not going to let politics ruin my football experience or prevent me from rooting for my team

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I certainly respect your decision and can understand where you are coming from. I will say one thing, the President doesn't give you freedoms, the Constitution does, and what he said on Friday night was completely out of line and very un-Presidential. He certainly had the right to say it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. He took an issue that had just about fizzled out in the NFL and threw gasoline on it and now every one is pissing and moaning at each over politics in a damn football game. He is supposed to be bringing us together but instead he drives a fucking spike right down the middle. That is all I am going to say on the matter out of respect for your opinion. Good luck bud, sorry that football has been ruined for you.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that issue because I agree with what Trump said and respect that he wasn't afraid to say what should have been said back when Kaep took his first knee. I'm done supporting any players who do not support our country. It's the easiest choice I've ever made. It's clear to me that people like that are what's wrong with this country and I'm not standing for it anymore. When all the players stand for the anthem or are released for not standing then I'll start watching football again.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Trump said the truth and sometimes people don't like it after being lied to for so many years.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that issue because I agree with what Trump said and respect that he wasn't afraid to say what should have been said back when Kaep took his first knee. I'm done supporting any players who do not support our country. It's the easiest choice I've ever made. It's clear to me that people like that are what's wrong with this country and I'm not standing for it anymore. When all the players stand for the anthem or are released for not standing then I'll start watching football again.
    Wouldn't hold your breath on that. The NFL has harbored and employed alcoholics, abusers, murders, rapists, addicts, and a host of other felons and degenerates over the years. As long as you can play, excuses and exceptions will be made.

I want to be clear that I am not calling out RunNGun personally with this next comment - at all. But I find it difficult to understand why this issue is the red line for folks, but no one of the other horrible and despicable things that NFL players and teams have done was.

And perhaps the answer lies in my question - it comes down to individual beliefs and feelings. For me this issue is not a hard line one. For others, it clearly is. Good on you each for knowing that and standing by your convictions.

I would close with the suggestion that just as much as some feel on one side, other equally principled, thoughtful, and decent people feel strongly for the other.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

This thread has no place here. I don't want to read a heading with Steelers in it that has nothing to do with the Steelers in a direct way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    This thread has no place here. I don't want to read a heading with Steelers in it that has nothing to do with the Steelers in a direct way.
    I'm not trying to influence your opinion or anyone elses. Just had to get it off my chest because it pisses me off. If you didn't want to read it then don't click on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wouldn't hold your breath on that. The NFL has harbored and employed alcoholics, abusers, murders, rapists, addicts, and a host of other felons and degenerates over the years. As long as you can play, excuses and exceptions will be made.

I want to be clear that I am not calling out RunNGun personally with this next comment - at all. But I find it difficult to understand why this issue is the red line for folks, but no one of the other horrible and despicable things that NFL players and teams have done was.

And perhaps the answer lies in my question - it comes down to individual beliefs and feelings. For me this issue is not a hard line one. For others, it clearly is. Good on you each for knowing that and standing by your convictions.

I would close with the suggestion that just as much as some feel on one side, other equally principled, thoughtful, and decent people feel strongly for the other.
    We obviously have different views on the matter, but I can respect where you're coming from, but I don't agree with it.

Should be under SOAPBOX

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

This is what you really believe? Sports figures and celebrities have stood out for issues in this country for decades! Do you think this is the only time? Contrary to popular belief they are U.S. citizens just as we are. Also many of them do know what it's like to live in poverty BEFORE they have become professional athletes or celebrities which is why many of them use their voice to change it.

What your saying is that everyone in this country should keep quiet and swallow whatever this poor excuse of a president does. These figures use their celebrity status for the voice of the people to be heard in fighting against hate. If you or I were to speak out for change how many people of power would listen?

This President speaks of making the country great again but is going after the NBA, the NFL and anyone else causing division. This President speaks of firing, but he has well enough in his short tenure and has enough on his plate to warrant his OWN firing! Look at the comments that were made by Goodell and even Rooney!

The truth is thay this President has thin skin and can't take criticism. Every President in office has been criticized. He's trying to take away the freedom of the people and run a dictatorship. If Trump says that all Americans need to be Catholic, then should everyone agree and convert?

That's what this is all about. People refuse to tolerate his lack of care for the people and refuse to be dictated. No President has dictated to the people to do this or that or else. Previous Presidents would at the very least HEAR the voice of the people and let the constitutional process run it's course.

There was no dictatorship then, and it doesn't need to start now.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

"Get this political bullshit out of here! This is the football forum, politics belongs in the Soapbox!"

Said about the other anthem threads as well as this one.

And yet many of these same people don't understand why the protests themselves would be irritating. The irony in this is quite tangible.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    This is what you really believe? Sports figures and celebrities have stood out for issues in this country for decades! Do you think this is the only time? Contrary to popular belief they are U.S. citizens just as we are. Also many of them do know what it's like to live in poverty BEFORE they have become professional athletes or celebrities which is why many of them use their voice to change it.

What your saying is that everyone in this country should keep quiet and swallow whatever this poor excuse of a president does. These figures use their celebrity status for the voice of the people to be heard in fighting against hate. If you or I were to speak out for change how many people of power would listen?

This President speaks of making the country great again but is going after the NBA, the NFL and anyone else causing division. This President speaks of firing, but he has well enough in his short tenure and has enough on his plate to warrant his OWN firing! Look at the comments that were made by Goodell and even Rooney!

The truth is thay this President has thin skin and can't take criticism. Every President in office has been criticized. He's trying to take away the freedom of the people and run a dictatorship. If Trump says that all Americans need to be Catholic, then should everyone agree and convert?

That's what this is all about. People refuse to tolerate his lack of care for the people and refuse to be dictated. No President has dictated to the people to do this or that or else. Previous Presidents would at the very least HEAR the voice of the people and let the constitutional process run it's course.

Don't put words in my mouth. There's a time and place to protest and it's not during the national anthem. The national anthem has nothing to do with police brutality or black lives matter. I don't care if people want to protest, but there's a time and place for it and it's for damn sure not during the national anthem.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

Bravo. My WWII Army Air Corps father would be appalled by what's in the WH more than the rights he helped fight for being exercised whatever peaceful way possible. He would also support anyone's right, especially his daughter's rights, not to respect a most disrespectful "president."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Really....who fucking cares if someone protests. That’s what the soldiers fought for...and that’s what these players are doing. If you have something against them protesting then you are the one that’s against the anthem and the flag. Stop making it about the veterans, the anthem and the flag...cause it’s not about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Really....who fucking cares if someone protests. That’s what the soldiers fought for...and that’s what these players are doing. If you have something against them protesting then you are the one that’s against the anthem and the flag. Stop making it about the veterans, the anthem and the flag...cause it’s not about that.
    I don't give a shit if someone protests even if I don't agree with the reasoning behind the protest. And you're right, the protest has nothing to do with the anthem or our vets, so why the f*** are these athletes picking the anthem as the time to show their oppression? That is my problem. I think I've made that clear.

The only thing I can control is me. I always have, and always will, stand, turn towards the flag, remove my hat, put my hand over my heart and proudly sing every word of our national anthem, at whatever event this occurs. I will not judge those who do otherwise.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don't give a shit if someone protests even if I don't agree with the reasoning behind the protest. And you're right, the protest has nothing to do with the anthem or our vets, so why the f*** are these athletes picking the anthem as the time to show their oppression? That is my problem. I think I've made that clear.
    I believe they pick that time because that’s the time where it will get the most recognition...which it has...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Must resist urge to make situation worse...Must not reach for gasoline...must not ruin forum...

I believe they pick that time because that’s the time where it will get the most recognition...which it has...
    So you support the kneeling? That must mean you believe it's benefitting society and communities then right? Like the youth watching their favorite players, who they all idolize, kneeling because f*** the police? Idk what message you get from it, but that's what I get, and I'm willing to guess that's what the naive youth see as well. I'm sorry, but I don't see what positive message this protest is sending, which is why I'll always have a problem with it.

Don't put words in my mouth. There's a time and place to protest and it's not during the national anthem. The national anthem has nothing to do with police brutality or black lives matter. I don't care if people want to protest, but there's a time and place for it and it's for damn sure not during the national anthem.
    The National Anthem is supposed to represent a country that is free and with equality buddy.
    If there are some in this country that have been experiencing otherwise, why should they be obligated to stand for something that has not been applicable in their lives?

Just because it may be true to you, doesn't mean that it may be true to others. If you're not Muslim would you care to stand for their beliefs? If you're not Catholic or Christian would you stand for theirs?

The National Anthem is supposed to represent a country that is free and with equality buddy.
    If there are some in this country that have been experiencing otherwise, why should they be obligated to stand for something that has not been applicable in their lives?

Just because it may be true to you, doesn't mean that it may be true to others. If you're not Muslim would you care to stand for their beliefs? If you're not Catholic or Christian would you stand for theirs?
    I'm not Muslim and I'm not catholic. I'm an American just like the football players taking a knee are. That's why I stand for the national anthem. What positive message does kneeling during the anthem send? Answer me that?

So you support the kneeling? That must mean you believe it's benefitting society and communities then right? Like the youth watching their favorite players, who they all idolize, kneeling because f*** the police? Idk what message you get from it, but that's what I get, and I'm willing to guess that's what the naive youth see as well. I'm sorry, but I don't see what positive message this protest is sending, which is why I'll always have a problem with it.
    You asked a question, (rhetorical or not). He answered. And you go nuts.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

I will say this to my fellow steelers buds on here...i am at that line in the sand myself. Seeing Ben and Cam come out today was damage control and putting Big Al up there to speak and basically apologizing of all things for saluting the flag which is his code has done it for me. No way should he ever have to apologize!!! Trust me when I say this...the steelers are done this year!!! This will absolutely divide the team! Big Al deserves much better than this and has earned every right!! Tomlin is getting hammered in the media, rightfully so for saying basically Big Al should have stayed in the tunnel....WRONG!!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    "Get this political bullshit out of here! This is the football forum, politics belongs in the Soapbox!"

Said about the other anthem threads as well as this one.

And yet many of these same people don't understand why the protests themselves would be irritating. The irony in this is quite tangible.
    Agreed, this bullshit keeps rising up from the bottom.

Another way of reading the kneeling is that it represents the following:
    1. Individuals engaged in non-violent protests during a highly visible setting. This is far better than violence in our streets and neighborhoods.
    2. The exercising of a constitutionally guaranteed right to safely and calmly attempt to bring attention to what many see as ingrained systemic injustices and problems with our present society.
    3. Youth can then see that rather than disengaging with society and social norms because you feel angry and marginalized, you instead use the freedoms and rights all are granted to attempt to shine attention on issues that you feel strongly about. You work with your fellow citizens to foster dialogue and change rather than remove yourself from society and engage in harmful activities.
    4. Protesters would not have chosen the flag and the anthem if they were not as aware as anyone else on how emotionally potent a symbol it is for us all.

I could go on, but nothing I say is going to change anyone's opinion one iota. So what's the point? I mean look how quickly the conversation just devolved to shouting. Like a dozen posts?

Unless an innocent life of one of your loved ones were taken by the same senseless brutality. It's hard to stand for the very thing that claims freedom, equality, justice and the American way when a deaf ear is turned to you in that type of situation.

Thanks Mods!

An innocent life by a woman who graduated from my high school in a town of 800 people, who happened to be a cop, was taken by a thug, so I do have my reasonings. I suppose the other side has their reasonings as well.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Actually, it is about that, and the protest is about something completely different, which is why people think it's stupid as balls. THEY PICKED SOMETHING WHERE THE MEANING WAS ALREADY TAKEN!

Put it this way, let's say I was angry about ... overfishing of threatened species. So I decide that my method of protesting that is to be a dick on Martin Luther King Day. I turn my back on the ceremony and interrupt the mayor's speech with an air horn.

You'd probably ask me why I couldn't pick a different time to protest.

"Nope, has to be Martin Luther King Day, I decided it already."

"Well, you're disrespecting Martin Luther King and the civil Rights movement."

"No I'm not, this has nothing to do with it, and Martin Luther King was all about your freedom to protest, so you're a hypocrite!"

See how that works? What I was protesting wasn't about the civil rights movement, but I *MADE* it about that though my poor decision-making. Now even if overfishing is a legitimate problem, I'm the asshole who protested Martin Luther King Day. Do we see how that works?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I'm not Muslim and I'm not catholic. I'm an American just like the football players taking a knee are. That's why I stand for the national anthem. What positive message does kneeling during the anthem send? Answer me that?
    Answer this! There have been innocent people brutalised. They have gone to the system for justice and received none! Their voice was not heard. The National Anthem is the theme song for the country which promotes Freedom, Peace, Equality and Justice!

The little people have not been received by that message that the country promotes nor have they been heard. So now, the Celebrities and Sports Figures that are in the limelight stand for the voices of the little people showing the glaring contrast of the country that the Anthem promotes!

Get it now?