Thread: The 2022 ILB thread

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The 2022 ILB thread

Scout some ILBs, post some videos and thoughts, Let's discuss.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The 2022 ILB thread

It still unsettles me that they need to replace a top 10 pick in the draft because he is the weak link in the defense. And while we also need depth, the gaping hole is the starter and the need is for a guy to wear the green dot.

Right now, I'd say any ILB that plays for Georgia or Alabama... but I haven't yet looked to closely at who's coming out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It still unsettles me that they need to replace a top 10 pick in the draft because he is the weak link in the defense. And while we also need depth, the gaping hole is the starter and the need is for a guy to wear the green dot.

Right now, I'd say any ILB that plays for Georgia or Alabama... but I haven't yet looked to closely at who's coming out.
    Meh…it happens…to every team. Hopefully they fix it and move on to the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

A few Senior names to start on. Go see what you think of them and let the rest of us know.

Mike Rose Iowa State

Jack Campbell Iowa

Chad Muma Wyoming

Quay Walker Georgia

Devon Lloyd Utah

Damone Clark LSU

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Naboke Dean, Georgia is the obvious one.

Darrian Beavers, Cincinnati is amazing!!!

Christian Harris, 'Bama is also amazing.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Who's your best Memphis guy this year, B2S? Any linebackers in the fold?

Who's your best Memphis guy this year, B2S? Any linebackers in the fold?
    JJ Russell. A bit small though. Our current QBs/RBs are bigger than him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHyuaBG2854

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    JJ Russell. A bit small though. Our current QBs/RBs are bigger than him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHyuaBG2854
    So what do you think they’re going to do for conference affiliation? I can’t see them staying in the AAC. They took a bunch of bottom feeders from CUSA just because of market size.

So what do you think they’re going to do for conference affiliation? I can’t see them staying in the AAC. They took a bunch of bottom feeders from CUSA just because of market size.
    I don't know.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Devin lloyd could turn into Devin Bush or Micah parsons. My guess is Parsons, the guy all over the field.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Naboke Dean, Georgia is the obvious one.

Darrian Beavers, Cincinnati is amazing!!!

Christian Harris, 'Bama is also amazing.
    These guys are top prospects too. I was just making a list of the seniors since we pretty much know they will be declaring. I started to do this big post on Arkansas Center Ricky Stromberg but he's decided to return to school for next season. So I was thinking I would wait until these underclassmen declare for the draft before I dig too deeply. Not that I know how to predict these guys or anything. Just something that's fun for me.

Henry To'oTo'o(Junior) is an interesting read. A bit small for a 3-4 ILB but maybe as a Joker/NB prospect he looks perfect. It's his pre-snap reads that you can watch and see him diagnose plays and meet the RB at or behind the LOS. Looks comfortable in zone coverage too. This year's Derwin James/JOK prospect?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Who is gonna be this years over-hyped guy? The 2022 version of Zaven Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    You think Collins was over-hyped? So far Darrian Beavers and Chad Muma. Henry To'oTo'o is another I like this year. You got somebody in mind to add to the list?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You think Collins was over-hyped? So far Darrian Beavers and Chad Muma. Henry To'oTo'o is another I like this year. You got somebody in mind to add to the list?
    Yes, for sure he was. He played the WILL LB in a 3-3-5 defense and came off the field in passing downs for them at Tulsa. That means he isnt good in coverage, nor in space, because they put him in the boundary and not field side. Collins was getting hyped up as some game changing athletic freak at LB, but Arizona got nothing out of him this year from what I could see.

Anyways, you guys have a lot of the top guys. Something interesting for me is if Jesse Luketa from Penn St can play inside as a 2 down ILB, because I dont think he can play 3-4 oLB at his size, which is reportedly 6'3", 245lbs.

Another probably day 3 guy is Terrel Bernard from Baylor. 103 tackles for them this year, a nose for the football but at around 6'1" 225lbs, can get caught up with larger blockers inside. https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/players/terrel-bernard

Take Henry To'oTo'o off the watch list. He's headed back to campus for another year.

Quay Walker is a tough read as well. Physically dominating LB but with limited snaps to watch.

Yes, for sure he was. He played the WILL LB in a 3-3-5 defense and came off the field in passing downs for them at Tulsa. That means he isnt good in coverage, nor in space, because they put him in the boundary and not field side. Collins was getting hyped up as some game changing athletic freak at LB, but Arizona got nothing out of him this year from what I could see.

Anyways, you guys have a lot of the top guys. Something interesting for me is if Jesse Luketa from Penn St can play inside as a 2 down ILB, because I dont think he can play 3-4 oLB at his size, which is reportedly 6'3", 245lbs.

Another probably day 3 guy is Terrel Bernard from Baylor. 103 tackles for them this year, a nose for the football but at around 6'1" 225lbs, can get caught up with larger blockers inside. https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/players/terrel-bernard
    I have not looked into probable day 3 guys at all. I don't think there is a pick 20 guy this year either though. BUT, in the 2nd/3rd round range there are some very interesting prospects. And yes I think the value is there for the Steelers defense. I'll always believe you can never have too many LBs. This year's class brings some thump too. I'm tempted to lump OLBs and ILBs together in this thread.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

i went a few rounds with a member over at steelerxtreme forum over collins vs bolton. i was advocating for bolton....i win.
    Last edited by Orion; 01-29-2022 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    i went a few rounds with a member over at steelerfever forum over collins vs bolton. i was advocating for bolton....i win.
    Leon O'neal from Texas A&M plays similar to Bolton. He plays safety and is smaller than Bolton but doesn't miss many tackles. He'll be at the Senior Bowl so can get a better look at 1 on 1's. Late round/UDFA guy that intrigues me a bit. Like Coach Holtz would say, 'he knocks a snot bubble off you'.

Here's his 'highlight tape' just for seeing his ceiling...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOvLrwSpY3c.

Christian Harris is still my pre-draft favorite. Here's the Bama/Georgia game tape highlighting Christian Harris.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPZlJHD0rC0

I think I found this year's 'Joker' Prospect.

Troy Andersen 6'4"-235lbs Montana State

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-...ad47e63f5.html

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...ft-shrine-bowl

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Looks like Leo Chenal will likely test far better than I thought. Still think his change of direction is stiff and he ain't turning and running with anyone at the NFL level, but as a 2.5 down run stuffing ILB?

Lots of reports out there that are forcing me to re-evaluate my opinion. TJ Edwards is doing good for the Eagles and Chenal seems to be a better player than Edwards...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

really starting to like the thoughts of Luketa from Penn state , he was an OLB /Edge but I think his game can translate to ILB as well a long armed kid with some speed and a lot of pop in his pads he has interior thumper written all over him but with more movement skills than VW had probably a 4.65ish guy
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Joshua Ross 6'2"-232lbs Michigan.

Write-ups say he is more of a run defender than cover LB but he has a strong understanding and ability in zone. Maybe a guy that will be around in the 4th that would be a good pairing with Bush. Both Michigan guys, although it doesn't look like they played together much in college.

40 games, 235 tackles, 16 TFL, 2.5 sacks.