Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Please comb. It makes the forum so much funner.
    I’d use a brush.........if I still had hair.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I’m on the edge of my seat! funny thing is I was combing through old posts for similar situation and gave up. very tedious work.
    Too bad the system can’t flag certain posts as NEGATIVE because if it did you’d be able to find all of Steeldude’s posts with one click.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Too bad the system can’t flag certain posts as NEGATIVE because if it did you’d be able to find all of Steeldude’s posts with one click.
    That would be cool if there was a filter like that. I would be interested to know if he ever posted something that wasn't negative on here.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Please comb. It makes the forum so much funner.
    I’m on the edge of my seat! funny thing is I was combing through old posts for similar situation and gave up. very tedious work.
    I don't know if you all are serious or not. I gave it an initial attempt over lunch and couldn't find the post(s) I was thinking of.

I know I had the conversation with him about this in the last handful of years. I remember it being non-combative and just a difference of opinion on how enjoyable the current NFL was or was not.

I will give it another try if I am up "working" late one of the next few nights. I have no idea if I will or will not be able to find it. But, while I may be a great many things, a liar is not one of them.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't know if you all are serious or not. I gave it an initial attempt over lunch and couldn't find the post(s) I was thinking of.

I know I had the conversation with him about this in the last handful of years. I remember it being non-combative and just a difference of opinion on how enjoyable the current NFL was or was not.

I will give it another try if I am up "working" late one of the next few nights. I have no idea if I will or will not be able to find it. But, while I may be a great many things, a liar is not one of them.
    I was serious, funny thing is I recall certain individuals stating they don’t watch games other than Steelers, and many others stating out of frustration will turn game off if pathetic performance. I don’t have a clue who made the posts though. To each their own, a buddy of mine only watches Titans games. personally I’ll watch any game if not playing golf, it’s one reason I remember the posts.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I was serious, funny thing is I recall certain individuals stating they don’t watch games other than Steelers, and many others stating out of frustration will turn game off if pathetic performance. I don’t have a clue who made the posts though. To each their own, a buddy of mine only watches Titans games. personally I’ll watch any game if not playing golf, it’s one reason I remember the posts.
    Sure. I’ll watch any NFL game I can but don’t watch much college ball. Which I try to make clear and hedge any impressions I give of draft prospects.

I don’t care if anyone watches or doesn’t. But I do think it impacts opinion(s).

Example, I watched Herbert ONLY in the Rose Bowl against UW before he came out. I saw a guy I thought was athletic and a leader but I seriously underrated his abilities. I assumed (wrongly) that if a good but not great college defense gave him problems that he’d struggle in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Search functions can be tricky. My friend is a mechanic, and he once Googled “messed up tranny”... the results were scary.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Search functions can be tricky. My friend is a mechanic, and he once Googled “messed up tranny”... the results were scary.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Roethlisberger impressed with Haskins' arm, throwing motion and energy

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/06/ro...motion-energy/

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

to the bold .........

for what it is worth I can agree with this 100%

Me and Mojouw OFTEN have very different opinions on a wide variety of topics ( and thats fine he's wrong of course LOL ) but at the end of the day you can count on a few things with him ...

1) consistency

2) respectful dialogue

3) honesty

not sure its been what 10 years in this forum now but I knew him a half dozen years from our prior forum as well ...

granted its the internet and a msg board setting but I would like to think you can learn a lot about someone in 20k + posts over 15-16 years
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A reminder that Dwayne Haskins beat out Joe Burrow at Ohio St. Obviously, there are countless examples of the college “backup QB” eventually having a better NFL career than the college starter who supplanted him; Brady & Mahomes come to mind. That said, it does show that Haskins has talent (in there… somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    to the bold .........

for what it is worth I can agree with this 100%

Me and Mojouw OFTEN have very different opinions on a wide variety of topics ( and thats fine he's wrong of course LOL ) but at the end of the day you can count on a few things with him ...

1) consistency

2) respectful dialogue

3) honesty

not sure its been what 10 years in this forum now but I knew him a half dozen years from our prior forum as well ...

granted its the internet and a msg board setting but I would like to think you can learn a lot about someone in 20k + posts over 15-16 years
    Thanks! That all equally applies to you as well.

Keep on keeping on!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    A reminder that Dwayne Haskins beat out Joe Burrow at Ohio St. Obviously, there are countless examples of the college “backup QB” eventually having a better NFL career than the college starter who supplanted him; Brady & Mahomes come to mind. That said, it does show that Haskins has talent (in there… somewhere).
    Coaches and Ben have been raving about Haskins tools so far in OTAs. Who knows what, if anything, that means...but I still strongly believe this was a "good" roster move by the Steelers. Haskins for some cap space instead of drafting Kyle Trask...I can get behind that.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Coaches and Ben have been raving about Haskins tools so far in OTAs. Who knows what, if anything, that means...but I still strongly believe this was a "good" roster move by the Steelers. Haskins for some cap space instead of drafting Kyle Trask...I can get behind that.
    I live in the heart of WFT territory, and my friends and acquaintances here always want to give me grief about the Steelers picking up Haskins, and they say things like "You and your Steelers are going to regret ever signing Dwayne Haskins". I understand they are still reeling from having spent the 16th overall pick a couple years ago on him, and expected him to be the franchise QB right away for their team, but I have to just laugh at them when they say these things. I have to clue most of them in to the fact that the Steelers gave up nothing to bring him onto the team, and signed him to a minimum money deal to see what he might have. He is not guaranteed to be the successor to Ben at all, and he will most likely not even be the backup QB this year.

They all seem to think The Steelers are bringing Haskins in to start day 1........which is so far from the truth. It's a low-risk, potentially high-reward signing. If I was running a NFL franchise and making personnel decisions I would make those types of signings as often as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I live in the heart of WFT territory, and my friends and acquaintances here always want to give me grief about the Steelers picking up Haskins, and they say things like "You and your Steelers are going to regret ever signing Dwayne Haskins". I understand they are still reeling from having spent the 16th overall pick a couple years ago on him, and expected him to be the franchise QB right away for their team, but I have to just laugh at them when they say these things. I have to clue most of them in to the fact that the Steelers gave up nothing to bring him onto the team, and signed him to a minimum money deal to see what he might have. He is not guaranteed to be the successor to Ben at all, and he will most likely not even be the backup QB this year.

They all seem to think The Steelers are bringing Haskins in to start day 1........which is so far from the truth. It's a low-risk, potentially high-reward signing. If I was running a NFL franchise and making personnel decisions I would make those types of signings as often as I could.
    It is amazing how many people don't get that the Haskins signing was even lower risk than the Jameis Winston signing. Or the Tannehill signing. Or any of the Fitzmagic signings. He was dirt cheap. The only risk the Steelers took on was it is gonna cost them one of Dobbs or Rudolph short term and maybe Rudolph long-term. But that is (more than?) balanced by the fact that IF they cut Dobbs and then do not resign Rudolph it means Haskins is playing up to his vast potential.

How can they lose?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It is amazing how many people don't get that the Haskins signing was even lower risk than the Jameis Winston signing. Or the Tannehill signing. Or any of the Fitzmagic signings. He was dirt cheap. The only risk the Steelers took on was it is gonna cost them one of Dobbs or Rudolph short term and maybe Rudolph long-term. But that is (more than?) balanced by the fact that IF they cut Dobbs and then do not resign Rudolph it means Haskins is playing up to his vast potential.

How can they lose?

Don't worry brother. The negative posters already have the imaginary losing scenarios on speed dial.

They always find a way to make everything a lose/lose scenario.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

When has a reclamation project ever worked out for the Steelers?

This might turn into a fun walk down memory lane....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eelers-history
    https://www.steelcityunderground.com...n-colbert-era/
    https://clutchpoints.com/pittsburgh-...chise-history/

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    When has a reclamation project ever worked out for the Steelers?

This might turn into a fun walk down memory lane....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eelers-history
    https://www.steelcityunderground.com...n-colbert-era/
    https://clutchpoints.com/pittsburgh-...chise-history/
    One eye opening stat that jumped out at me......Webster and Dawson covered the center position for 27 straight seasons. Amazing!!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

We may just need that skill.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It's funny how guys like Dulac completely rule out Haskins from having any possibility for success. He's so confidently outspoken about it in his chats. All this is based on his Washington experience. I doubt Dulac watched a single snap of Haskins for the Redskins. It ended bad there, but Haskins had some games at the end of his rookie year where he looked very promising. And Washington is a CRAP organization. I get it that things went bad with Rivera. He's a stand-up guy, but he's never won anything as an NFL coach. He's 83-72-1 in the regular season and 3-5 in the playoffs. It's my understanding that he cut Haskins because of immaturity. That being the case, kids in their early twenties do grow up sometimes.

I'm rooting for him for selfish reasons and also because I like comeback stories.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

It's funny how guys like Dulac completely rule out Haskins from having any possibility for success. He's so confidently outspoken about it in his chats. All this is based on his Washington experience. I doubt Dulac watched a single snap of Haskins for the Redskins. It ended bad there, but Haskins had some games at the end of his rookie year where he looked very promising. And Washington is a CRAP organization. I get it that things went bad with Rivera. He's a stand-up guy, but he's never won anything as an NFL coach. He's 83-72-1 in the regular season and 3-5 in the playoffs. It's my understanding that he cut Haskins because of immaturity. That being the case, kids in their early twenties do grow up sometimes.

I'm rooting for him for selfish reasons and also because I like comeback stories.

Dulac is a wanna be insider , he acts as though he has an inside tract on all things Steelers but the fact of the matter is he knows no more ( and likely less ) than many of us

remember his comments on drafting Edmunds in round 1 ... his answer was no chance
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

if a player needs to jump start their career, Pittsburgh is as good a place as any. Maddox resurrected his career here.

Also, we were able to maximize Martavis Bryant's potential for a few years, no one else has been able to do that, not to mention keeping AB under control - longer than anyone else could.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think there is a question about athletic potential and tangibles, he wouldn't have been a 1st round pick nor gotten another chance without it. The question is all mental based and how he can apply it on the field in the game. Hopefully he's getting the mental game worked out

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    if a player needs to jump start their career, Pittsburgh is as good a place as any. Maddox resurrected his career here.

Also, we were able to maximize Martavis Bryant's potential for a few years, no one else has been able to do that, not to mention keeping AB under control - longer than anyone else could.
    Tomlin doesn’t get near enough credit for keeping AB from exploding much sooner than he did…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin doesn’t get near enough credit for keeping AB from exploding much sooner than he did…
    Truth!

Fire Tomlin...he could have done better with AB.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Fire Tomlin...he could have done better with AB.
    I blame Bruce Arians. He somehow sabotaged AB mentally just so he’d eventually self destruct and be an easy pick up for Bruce to win a Super Bowl with down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I blame Bruce Arians. He somehow sabotaged AB mentally just so he’d eventually self destruct and be an easy pick up for Bruce to win a Super Bowl with down the line.
    very clever of Bruce

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

yup, like the Louis Riddick video I put up on post #34, Haskins has really great upside and if he can get started on the positive trend its possible he could be the next Steelers franchise QB. Would be a good comeback story and another testament to the "culture" of the Steelers organization being a positive impact on players.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

no he doesn’t. AB does owe Tomlin and Ben a lot, they helped make him a star, even though AB did his best to sabotage his own career

Regarding the Haskins topic, if I were Mason, I’d be a little nervous going into the new season, which might be a good thing for him. However, If Haskins gets it together mentally, Mason would have a tough time to stay on the roster
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 06-05-2021 at 12:43 PM.