Page 43 of 73 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2167

Thread: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Which is exactly why none of us seem to know who is credible, and who is not. Even when we think we know, we don't.

In this crazy, fast-paced world where information is rocketed to the world in split seconds via the internet, all that seems to matter is getting the information out first so you get all the attention, or strictly playing an angle to make a buck regardless of right/wrong.

I am losing faith in the motives of almost everything that is said or done anymore.

When Donald Trump says something off the cuff that is as close to the truth as scientific studies published in respected publications and communities, something is wrong with how things are being done. As I stated in my reply to El-Gonzo above, "experts" were calling Trump an idiot, and claiming hydroxychloroquine was potentially dangerous when used to treat COVID-19. They even stated some possible dangers as if they had already conducted a study.

Unsubstantiated claims by the President and the experts. Not good all the way around.
    I think that tools for establishing the credibility of information do exist and we are all pretty much capable of using them. But you have hit on the key problem/issue -- first is all that matters.

And honestly, most of us know better than to just read something somewhere and decide that it is iron-clad fact. But I do not have the time and inclination to research everything I come across.

I think we all need to seriously reconsider what our priorities are. Do we want ALL the information THIS DAMN INSTANT for free or would be trade a bit of a delay and maybe a few dollars a week for reliable consistent information?

I find it alarming that this is seeping into academic/scientific publications. They are already ferociously expensive and not typically concerned with any kind of time pressure to get the information out. You can't get "scooped" - either an author wants to publish it in your journal or they don't. So to see the established system break-down so badly in this case is really troubling.

But I find everything troubling lately...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I saw this somewhere else earlier today and think it applies here and I will attempt to summarize it.

When the Boston marathon was bombed and we said "Boston Strong" no one said "All Cities are Strong".
    When the Vegas shooting happened and we "Stand with Vegas" no one said "What about the shootings in my city"?
    When various overseas and domestic terrorist incidents have happened and everyone supports the place in crisis; no one says "But what about the crisis that happened in my city".
    We raise money and awareness for specific diseases and conditions and no one feels that it takes away from other disease cure efforts.

Of course all lives matter. But "all lives" are not currently in crisis. Usually we promote attention and action towards groups that are currently responding to a crisis or ongoing critical problem that does not seem to be getting solved.
    That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    That's exactly what I'm trying to say.
    I thought so. I was only trying to shamelessly piggyback off your already existing post.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    An oldie but a goodie

How has buying airline stocks after you posted this on March 9 worked out for you?

What is your next hot stock tip - lightning rod manufacturers?
    guys ...

I wonder if he knows ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    guys ...

I wonder if he knows ...
    Yeah he knows

Just got burned out on posting here

Good to know I am still living rent free inside your head
    Thanks for the memories

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    No, of course not. It's just that people that should know better are making claims on both sides of the issue. As you just said, and I said a few weeks ago: It's too early to know everything there is to know. I believe my quote was something like....the only people that are correct are those that say there isn't enough information to know.
    The thing with medical studies is they all pretty much end with a statement..."further investigation is recommended." its pretty much a CYA for when something happens years down the road like artificial sweeteners cause brain tumors or J&J Talcum Powder causes cancer. But its also an admission that you can almost never state 100% absolute conclusion.

The thing is there have been enough retrospective studies from independent and reputable institutions to point to it having no benefit better than placebo. The other side was almost always a biased organization or hearsay. I'm with mojow on the point that if people want to claim ignorance to facts as their defense to a topic, then go ahead. Darwinism.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yeah he knows

Just got burned out on posting here

Good to know I am still living rent free inside your head
    I seem to remember I was supposed to be on ignore, thank you. Talk about rent free
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The thing with medical studies is they all pretty much end with a statement..."further investigation is recommended." its pretty much a CYA for when something happens years down the road like artificial sweeteners cause brain tumors or J&J Talcum Powder causes cancer. But its also an admission that you can almost never state 100% absolute conclusion.

The thing is there have been enough retrospective studies from independent and reputable institutions to point to it having no benefit better than placebo. The other side was almost always a biased organization or hearsay. I'm with mojow on the point that if people want to claim ignorance to facts as their defense to a topic, then go ahead. Darwinism.
    The part that gets me about how the "science" has been handled on this issue is that it hasn't been handled like science at all. Science is, by definition, supposed to welcome all challenges and attempts to disprove it. If the theory holds up, it has been re-proven and we've learned something. If it is disproven, we've also learned something. Instead, with this issue, it's been the opposite: "Don't question the science, bigot." The full political dogmatic treatment, with public shaming and internet dogpiles and everything. When all along, the most important thing would have been to continue questioning and testing. As Carl Sagan said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. But instead it was a doomsday prediction and then a bunch of shouting.

About hydroxychloroquine specifically, what the scientific evidence seems to suggest is that it would be effective in some cases, but by blind luck because it happens to counter a side effect of the virus that nobody knew about until recently (blood clots and endothelial damage). All sorts of vitriol over who is lying because of what agenda - and what really happened was that a guy took a shot in the dark with a medical theory that turned out to be completely wrong, but it worked anyway sometimes, because of a totally different reason that randomly was discovered later. Although if true, other drugs ought to be much more effective since HCQ isn't really "for" that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I seem to remember I was supposed to be on ignore, thank you. Talk about rent free
    Spoiler alert - you need to log in to post but can read posts on this board without being logged in (those are referenced as "guests" in the record of who has been on the board in the past 24 hours)

I placed you on ignore after I grew tired of your act but before I decided to take a vacay from posting a few months ago while still checking in on what other posters have to say

Unfortunately ignore only works when you are logged in

So I would have been blissfully unaware of your touching concern as to whether I knew the current status of airline stocks had I been logged in.

But since I was not logged in and saw you specifically were asking if I have been following the stock market I wanted to alleviate any worries you might have about that

Thanks so much for caring
    Thanks for the memories

Spoiler alert - you need to log in to post but can read posts on this board without being logged in (those are referenced as "guests" in the record of who has been on the board in the past 24 hours)

I placed you on ignore after I grew tired of your act but before I decided to take a vacay from posting a few months ago while still checking in on what other posters have to say

Unfortunately ignore only works when you are logged in

So I would have been blissfully unaware of your touching concern as to whether I knew the current status of airline stocks had I been logged in.

But since I was not logged in and saw you specifically were asking if I have been following the stock market I wanted to alleviate any worries you might have about that

Thanks so much for caring
    Rent. Free.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

So excited! Just got my ticket for the Antifa bus!!! Invading your small rural town soon. Liberal tears of joy!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1222486

After spending my entire stimulus check on pallets of bricks; it's shaping up to be a great summer of Doros funded mayhem!

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

So excited! Just got my ticket for the Antifa bus!!! Invading your small rural town soon. Liberal tears of joy!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1222486

After spending my entire stimulus check on pallets of bricks; it's shaping up to be a great summer of Doros funded mayhem!
    oh sounds like a summer of fun . be sure to take pics
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

I support their right to protest, as long as they all sign waivers refusing medical treatment when they and their families are dying of COVID.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Invading your small rural town soon.
    I support their right to protest, as long as they all sign waivers refusing medical treatment when they and their families are dying of COVID.
    Or lead poisoning when it turns into looting.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

The part that gets me about how the "science" has been handled on this issue is that it hasn't been handled like science at all. Science is, by definition, supposed to welcome all challenges and attempts to disprove it. If the theory holds up, it has been re-proven and we've learned something. If it is disproven, we've also learned something. Instead, with this issue, it's been the opposite: "Don't question the science, bigot." The full political dogmatic treatment, with public shaming and internet dogpiles and everything. When all along, the most important thing would have been to continue questioning and testing. As Carl Sagan said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. But instead it was a doomsday prediction and then a bunch of shouting.

About hydroxychloroquine specifically, what the scientific evidence seems to suggest is that it would be effective in some cases, but by blind luck because it happens to counter a side effect of the virus that nobody knew about until recently (blood clots and endothelial damage). All sorts of vitriol over who is lying because of what agenda - and what really happened was that a guy took a shot in the dark with a medical theory that turned out to be completely wrong, but it worked anyway sometimes, because of a totally different reason that randomly was discovered later. Although if true, other drugs ought to be much more effective since HCQ isn't really "for" that.
    I'm so happy that Hydroxychloroquine is living in your head rent free. Something had to take up the space.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Interesting watch ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

A suspect has been charged with murder in the David Dorn case. Hopefully that man gets justice

Of course, where is the national media and Democrat politicians outrage over this murder? Why isn't receiving national coverage? Why isn't BLM all upset over this? Where is LeBron James, Michael Thomas, Richard Sherman and all other black athletes outrage over this man's death? Hmmm. Can one say hypocrisy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Interesting watch ...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

So all the videos and evidence she posted is false? The ZOOM chats with those Communist are false?

TDS444, I feel sad for you. Wait until they come for your quiet "safe" neighborhood. Remember don't dial 911.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

A suspect has been charged with murder in the David Dorn case. Hopefully that man gets justice

Of course, where is the national media and Democrat politicians outrage over this murder? Why isn't receiving national coverage? Why isn't BLM all upset over this? Where is LeBron James, Michael Thomas, Richard Sherman and all other black athletes outrage over this man's death? Hmmm. Can one say hypocrisy?
    Let me see now, is there a difference between one of those we pay to protect and serve killing an innocent until proven guilty citizen, and a just plain old fashion murderer killing someone?

- - - Updated - - -

So all the videos and evidence she posted is false? The ZOOM chats with those Communist are false?
    You don't think I watched the whole thing do you?

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Because actually stating that burning buildings is a legitimate form of protesting, isn't cuckoo...lol.
    Last edited by silver & black; 06-09-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    for of.
    Does a for of come after a three of?

Let me see now, is there a difference between one of those we pay to protect and serve killing an innocent until proven guilty citizen, and a just plain old fashion murderer killing someone?

- - - Updated - - -

You don't think I watched the whole thing do you?
    Then don't comment.

Then don't comment.
    You don't think you have to view the whole thing to know its wackadoodle stuff do you?

But you'll read the NY times who posts stuff like this:

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Millennial Millie has a nice rack...that’s about it.

So this is the kind of mental giant that you all are turning to: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/milli...b0fd5c73de5621

She honestly thought that since Facebook is a "publicly traded" company meant that it was not a "private business" and therefore had the inability to kick people off for violating terms of service agreements.

I mean if you want to follow a MAGA thirst trap with the ability to coldly reason her way through the concept that publicly traded means the same as a government run public utility -- have at it fellas.

As for the Bush thing -- he didn't vote for Trump in 2016. Refused to support him then in any manner. Stating that the same would hold in the coming election is hardly a giant mental leap. Interestingly the denial by the family spokesperson refused to say he would be voting Trump 2020. Bottom line, Bush isn't going to vote for him, but is trying to be classy about it.

Interestingly, how is that every MAJOR (and even many minor) global events are the result of a pernicious and pervasive leftist plot for global domination; yet in most of the country the left can't win an election for dog catcher and struggle to meet fundraising goals? I fail to understand how a global cabal can have the organizational depth, reach, and financial resources to achieve all the shadowy goals that the alt-right internet ascribes to them but be so stupefyingly bad at gaining and wielding actual power. It simply doesn't make any sense. Only thing I can figure is that it allows the small minded and easily manipulated to paint themselves as heroic patriotic defenders of their homeland who are bravely holding back the rampaging hordes of globalists that would otherwise set-upon the world and devour it. Or some similar fantasy that warms their hearts.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Does a for of come after a three of?
    I guess I have to say I'm confused. I have no idea what this supposed to mean.

Reread my post. I found it. You just reaffirmed what I suspected...... just a troll...lol.
    Last edited by silver & black; 06-09-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So this is the kind of mental giant that you all are turning to: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/milli...b0fd5c73de5621

She honestly thought that since Facebook is a "publicly traded" company meant that it was not a "private business" and therefore had the inability to kick people off for violating terms of service agreements.
    That is awesome. She is so stupid that she is wrong and thinks calling everybody that disagrees with her a "libtard", as if that makes her lack of knowledge correct.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Millennial Millie has a nice rack...that’s about it.
    True dat. She is looking for sponsorship of her unbiased, knowledge based reporting in the below video.