Page 38 of 73 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 2167

Thread: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    I wouldn't feel sad for me if I were you. I lived in America at one time, a treat you never enjoyed.
    I get it, Orange man bad. TDS will be curable in 2024, don't worry.

Oh and China who started this whole thing is reporting only 4,638 deaths, LOL.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Dragging this roughly back towards the topic: Fascinating to see an industry that is projected to lose billions with or without a season begin to possibly panic.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...05283031334913

To recap, the NFL wants to do the following:
    1. Use tens of thousands of tests a week at a time when there is not enough testing capacity to go around. Why do they get tests when some of us may not be able to or get theirs analyzed quicker than ours?
    2. Invent safety equipment on the fly. C'mon they can't even get these guys to change helmets and pads without freak outs.
    3. Replicate the head trauma controversy all over again. Try to convince players and fans that an "unsafe" thing is "safe". That worked so well last time.

Going to be really fun to watch entitled billionaires throw hissy fits when they start losing money. They will probably start asking for bailout money soon

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I get it, Orange man bad. TDS will be curable in 2024, don't worry.

Oh and China who started this whole thing is reporting only 4,638 deaths, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Dragging this roughly back towards the topic: Fascinating to see an industry that is projected to lose billions with or without a season begin to possibly panic.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...05283031334913

To recap, the NFL wants to do the following:
    1. Use tens of thousands of tests a week at a time when there is not enough testing capacity to go around. Why do they get tests when some of us may not be able to or get theirs analyzed quicker than ours?
    2. Invent safety equipment on the fly. C'mon they can't even get these guys to change helmets and pads without freak outs.
    3. Replicate the head trauma controversy all over again. Try to convince players and fans that an "unsafe" thing is "safe". That worked so well last time.

Going to be really fun to watch entitled billionaires throw hissy fits when they start losing money. They will probably start asking for bailout money soon
    I'm hearing stories about young athletic COVID 19 patients who recover but have trouble returning to their former level of conditioning. Particularly lung capacity.

I'm hearing stories about young athletic COVID 19 patients who recover but have trouble returning to their former level of conditioning. Particularly lung capacity.
    Not surprising. That used to happen to me when I was a teenager. I'd get the flu for a week. Then, when I'd return to hockey, I'd have no stamina for about another week or so. Not surprised to find the same thing with COVID-19 and most likely a much longer recoup time. However, unless it somehow scars the lungs or kills the alveoli, I don't see it being a permanent problem.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Not surprising. That used to happen to me when I was a teenager. I'd get the flu for a week. Then, when I'd return to hockey, I'd have no stamina for about another week or so. Not surprised to find the same thing with COVID-19 and most likely a much longer recoup time. However, unless it somehow scars the lungs or kills the alveoli, I don't see it being a permanent problem.
    Yeah. I am hearing about doctors reporting/telling patients that they have permanent lung damage as a result of this. I have also read things regarding other major organ systems being damaged. This includes young people. But since this virus didn't exist 6 months ago, I am not certain what "permanent damage" means and how it is measure currently. I have heard anecdotal reports that it does scar lung tissue, but haven't looked (or seen) "official" study data to assess that. Obviously, I don't think anyone has been all that concerned with those issues, as it was all about stemming the tide and containing the outbreak(s). I suspect that the next 6-18 months will be a steady trickle of new and revised end results for recovery.

Yeah. I am hearing about doctors reporting/telling patients that they have permanent lung damage as a result of this. I have also read things regarding other major organ systems being damaged. This includes young people. But since this virus didn't exist 6 months ago, I am not certain what "permanent damage" means and how it is measure currently. I have heard anecdotal reports that it does scar lung tissue, but haven't looked (or seen) "official" study data to assess that. Obviously, I don't think anyone has been all that concerned with those issues, as it was all about stemming the tide and containing the outbreak(s). I suspect that the next 6-18 months will be a steady trickle of new and revised end results for recovery.
    Exactly. How permanent is it, or isn't it? From what I've heard it doesn't appear to be just a case of being out of shape for awhile. But as you point out this is all new and unknown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It appears to be a bit more concerning, but we'll see. I hope not.

Anyway, if I owned an NFL team it's something I might want to know more about before opening the league back up.

Exactly. How permanent is it, or isn't it? From what I've heard it doesn't appear to be just a case of being out of shape for awhile. But as you point out this is all new and unknown.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears to be a bit more concerning, but we'll see. I hope not.

Anyway, if I owned an NFL team it's something I might want to know more about before opening the league back up.
    Yeah. And then you get into the divide between medicine/science and real world consequences. For instance, a repeated measurement of 0.00001% reduced lung capacity across a patient population is a valid scientific observation. But what does that mean, even at an elite athlete level, in terms of practical impact? FWIW, I made up the numbers -- before anyone starts freaking out...

I do agree, that if I was a player or an owner, I would want to know a bit more than I do now.

I still can not believe that anyone has not pursued the obvious set(s) of questions:
    1. If the season is cancelled or aborted after a few weeks; do players get paid the entire year's worth? A prorated sum?
    2. Does a cancelled or shortened season count as accrued towards free agency, vesting status, pension, etc.?
    3. Do the owners make or lose money playing in empty stadiums?

I feel like a clever reporter or three could answer these questions without needing to be a world-class sleuth.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Wow did you make this pretty meme or did you get it from your TDS group session buddies?

Poor TDS444.

As did millions of Americans that went to college. What's your point? What was Bill Clinton doing then?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In another attempt to throw this thread back to something besides a monkey shit fight over opinions on a sock puppet -- looks like up to a 25% of the food and beverage industry is going to go under; even with reopenings.

https://slate.com/business/2020/05/r...tennessee.html

And remember, when the initial round of federal help went out, big chains gobbled it up because the banks didn't or weren't working with the little guy. Remember how all those chains bowed to PR pressure and returned the money? Gotta wonder where it went.

The picture the initial data supports is a public that is in zero rush to resume public gatherings and dining. It is almost like the idea that the government was strangling the economy was never quite that simple...weird.

Also seems like very few people who were vocal about needing to "reopen" are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

In another attempt to throw this thread back to something besides a monkey shit fight over opinions on a sock puppet -- looks like up to a 25% of the food and beverage industry is going to go under; even with reopenings.

https://slate.com/business/2020/05/r...tennessee.html

And remember, when the initial round of federal help went out, big chains gobbled it up because the banks didn't or weren't working with the little guy. Remember how all those chains bowed to PR pressure and returned the money? Gotta wonder where it went.

The picture the initial data supports is a public that is in zero rush to resume public gatherings and dining. It is almost like the idea that the government was strangling the economy was never quite that simple...weird.

Also seems like very few people who were vocal about needing to "reopen" are willing to put their money where their mouth is.
    So..... your's, mine and our children's generations are just done? Are we supposed to just give it all up and quit? What is the end game for all of this..... just be happy to be alive?

As you said earlier... there was no planning, no strategic thought, no urgency to be found in leadership.... around the whole world, not just the USA. Yea.... Trump wasn't in any hurry, but neither was Congress. They were more worried about a useless impeachment at the time. It's cool to throw stones now, with the benefit of hind sight. This whole thing was/is a Black Swan event.

I'm just rambling.... not railing against you or anyone else. Someone better start to figure out how to put this country back together, soon. Arresting Gym owners and Salon owners sure isn't going to do it. Well.... that was muddled mess, but there it is.... take or leave whatever you like...lol.

S&B summed it up well. The world was NOT ready for this. When you look at China it really does appear they just didn't give a shit and released this on the world to collapse the world economy. They owned most of the debt and now the rest of the world has gone even further into debt. The fact that BOTH sides of Congress were loading the first package with bullshit like $25 million for the Kennedy center while everyone else was filing for unemployment was disgusting. Then the Kennedy center told it's employees, F off we're not paying you but bowed to pressure ONLY after being exposed to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    So..... your's, mine and our children's generations are just done? Are we supposed to just give it all up and quit? What is the end game for all of this..... just be happy to be alive?

As you said earlier... there was no planning, no strategic thought, no urgency to be found in leadership.... around the whole world, not just the USA. Yea.... Trump wasn't in any hurry, but neither was Congress. They were more worried about a useless impeachment at the time. It's cool to throw stones now, with the benefit of hind sight. This whole thing was/is a Black Swan event.

I'm just rambling.... not railing against you or anyone else. Someone better start to figure out how to put this country back together, soon. Arresting Gym owners and Salon owners sure isn't going to do it. Well.... that was muddled mess, but there it is.... take or leave whatever you like...lol.
    Definitely not a good time to be in the restaurant business. It has a high failure rate as it is.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Definitely not a good time to be in the restaurant business. It has a high failure rate as it is.
    You are right, its a challenging business at the best of times. Those places that have some quality food offerings and were creative with delivery and takeout options have likely floated the boat a bit in the interim

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    You are right, its a challenging business at the best of times. Those places that have some quality food offerings and were creative with delivery and takeout options have likely floated the boat a bit in the interim
    Exactly. I ordered takeout from one of those places and gave my order to the dilvery guy for lunch plus a healthy tip.

Fantastic article on COVID19 and how we got it wrong. People will point to the 90,000 deaths and say, "SEE" but as this article points out those deaths were of older Americans with underlying conditions.

What the media isn't telling you (and you never heard before this) is how many people die daily, BEFORE they started counting for COVID19, of heart disease. One person dies every 37 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease. About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that's 1 in every 4 deaths.

Depression, suicide, domestic abuse ... all way up. Hospitals are shutdown for almost everything else besides COVID19. People are afraid to go to hospitals because they fear catching this virus, so they ignore other conditions that could be killing them. This is no way to live.

Read this article, it's well cited, and covers everything on this topic.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ns_143253.html

Now I want to see a chart of how many people are going to die FROM being locked down? How much domestic abuse is up. How much is depression and suicide up?
    Last edited by EzraTank; 05-21-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Good read, but epidemiologists always start with the worst case scenario in mind and make their recommendations accordingly.
    In hindsight, as we learn more about it, you could conclude that the recommendations went overboard.
    But the words, “contagious disease,” sets it apart from heart disease, depression, suicide, accidents.....etc.

Now I want to see a chart of how many people are going to die FROM being locked down?
    Chart: Deaths Directly Related to Lockdown aka DDRL

Zero-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Zero

You can't say that it's ZERO. Suicide, domestic abuse, all up.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    the words, “contagious disease,” sets it apart from heart disease, depression, suicide, accidents.....etc.
    Thanks for the reality check. Heart disease, accidents, etc are nothing that we can catch from people that have it.

Anybody having heart disease and afraid to seek medical attention should likely seek out some great advice and take hydroxychloroquine....I hear its a wonder drug.

You can't say that it's ZERO. Suicide, domestic abuse, all up.
    "Lockdowns don't abuse people...……….people abuse people."

I'll take the advice of a doctor ...

Watch her whole video and tell me this isn't about BIG money and control.

I'll take the advice of a doctor ...

Watch her whole video and tell me this isn't about BIG money and control.
    I hope it all works out well for you and she fills as many prescriptions to whoever wants them.

Ok. I watched it. It is not about what you said it was about. Just because someone with a degree says hot diarrhea mouth nonsense does not mean there is a global conspiracy.

Big claims require big evidence to back them up. She makes MASSIVE claims and provides minimal anecdotal evidence. That is not how "science" works. At present, every single scientific test of the claims made in this video demonstrate the exact opposite.

I file this under "conspiracy fringe" stuff. But here is what I don't get. All these YouTube loons want to totally crap all over "experts" and "university educated globalist elites" and "do your own research...don't be sheep..." BUT...BUT...As soon as they can convince ANYONE with letters after their name to agree with their wild ideas -- BOOM! Suddenly they are all over the "argument from authority" method of "proving" their hypotheses. "See. This shaky phone video of some random doctor PROVES that their is globalist lizard people conspiracy to impose control over a cowed populace." So the 9/10 medical doctors who say thing x is a bad idea are not to be believed but the 1/10 is? How does that make sense?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thanks for the reality check. Heart disease, accidents, etc are nothing that we can catch from people that have it.

Anybody having heart disease and afraid to seek medical attention should likely seek out some great advice and take hydroxychloroquine....I hear its a wonder drug.
    People with heart disease are afraid to go outside their house let alone trying to get into doctors office that isn't seeing people. And people that needed treatment were deemed non essential (elective procedures) and can't get in anyway.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    People with heart disease are afraid to go outside their house let alone trying to get into doctors office that isn't seeing people. And people that needed treatment were deemed non essential (elective procedures) and can't get in anyway.
    That doesn't seem to be what this is saying: https://www.facs.org/covid-19/legisl...ecutive-orders

A quick scan on this indicates that any treatment that would prevent a patient from experiencing an irreparable negative outcome is essential. So you can not go and get treatment on your already wrecked knee, you gotta gut that out because the knee isn't going to get worse; but you can absolutely go get your heart treated so that you don't die.

While I don't have a wrecked knee or a damaged heart and I am only going by what I can read. I do know several friends and family members who have been able to readily schedule and obtain basic medical care over the past 3 months.