Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players you do not want the Steelers to draft

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Players you do not want the Steelers to draft

I'll start. Jaylen Hurts. A one read QB with a very slow release.

Hurts should be on the board in round two. I hope he's gone before our pick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Players you do not want the Steelers to draft

Jaylen Hurts is my first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah and a QB in round 2 would be a wasted pick.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Jalen Hurts looks like a slower version of the proverbial running QB that can't throw so no.

Also any day 2 RB. RB has become too devalued and I think they have enough at the position for a by-committee. Plus RB won't make much of a difference without a top tier O-line or a top-tier QB anywau

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Jalen Hurts looks like a slower version of the proverbial running QB that can't throw so no.

Also any day 2 RB. RB has become too devalued and I think they have enough at the position for a by-committee. Plus RB won't make much of a difference without a top tier O-line or a top-tier QB anywau
    Just a question, what position would you like the steelers draft in day 2?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Just a question, what position would you like the steelers draft in day 2?
    The big one is O-line with the O-line regressing plus age. Preferably one who is already technically sound over the proverbial "physically gifted but raw". A WR also, probably a tall fast guy

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Antonio Brown Jr.
    All Defense!

Yeah,I don't want a player with many off-field issues and which brings a lot of drama even if this player is great ... We know that with his players, it always ends very badly.

WR Michael Pittman Jr. would not be a good pick I think

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/jo...s-go-wr-at-49/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

WR Michael Pittman Jr. would not be a good pick I think

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/jo...s-go-wr-at-49/
    I like Pittman... a lot.

I can understand not taking him at 49, because WR is not as big of a “need”. But, as a player, I’d be more than fine with this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I like Pittman... a lot.

I can understand not taking him at 49, because WR is not as big of a “need”. But, as a player, I’d be more than fine with this pick.
    I said that because I don't think it's the type of WR that steelers need….The steelers need a WR who is fast.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I said that because I don't think it's the type of WR that steelers need….The steelers need a WR who is fast.
    He’s not slow.

Plus, Pittman will get every contested ball.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Bad players. Don't want.

Seriously though, any QB. Just no.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I like Hurts a lot. In no way am I saying he becomes starting QB. I just love the way he handled benching and came in to win game at Alabama before he left. It’s more of a sentimental pick and gamble for sure. He has improved greatly though, and if continues to get better who knows. I’ve read he could be a third, if he drops to four or five I would love to take gamble. He could be a Dak kind of quarterback, he’s excellent at read-option. Maybe not starter but Taysom Hill type guy. Offers more than our current back ups.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I like Hurts a lot. In no way am I saying he becomes starting QB. I just love the way he handled benching and came in to win game at Alabama before he left. It’s more of a sentimental pick and gamble for sure. He has improved greatly though, and if continues to get better who knows. I’ve read he could be a third, if he drops to four or five I would love to take gamble. He could be a Dak kind of quarterback, he’s excellent at read-option. Maybe not starter but Taysom Hill type guy. Offers more than our current back ups.
    I like Hurts a lot too. He has room to improve still but he has improved every year. I don't take any QB at 49 or 102, but in the 4th round, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He’s not slow.

Plus, Pittman will get every contested ball.
    You are right!

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...20-senior-bowl

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Players the Steelers have drafted out of USC since 1970:
    Gerry Mullins OG 1971
    Lynn Swann WR 1974
    Calvin Sweeney WR 1979
    James Hunter NT 1981
    Cole Ford K 1995
    Troy Polamalu DB 2003
    JuJu Smith-Schuster WR 2017

Possible 2020 candidates:
    Austin Jackson LT - True LT not a swing OT like SaahdiqCharles(prospect) or Chuks(currently on roster)
    Drew Richmond OG - Played RT but is expected to move to OG for the NFL. Maybe 7th round or UDFA invite.
    Michael Pittman WR - Not at 49, but as a 3rd round or 4th round pick I could get behind this one.

Any of these 3 would make good additions to the Steelers roster, IMO.

As for the thread and a player I do not wish to see the Steelers draft....Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin. 18 fumbles over 3 seasons in college. NFL tacklers are practiced in stripping ball carriers.

More than I think about it more it's a good idea to wait at least in the fourth round to draft a WR since firstly the draft class at this position is very deep and the other thing I think the steelers have 3 very good WR in their team ... Just need another WR if there is an injury or others thing among his 3 WR.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

As for the thread and a player I do not wish to see the Steelers draft....Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin. 18 fumbles over 3 seasons in college. NFL tacklers are practiced in stripping ball carriers.
    Ball security can be coached up fairly simply. I would easily look past 6 fumbles a season and coach that up, but rather focus on his positives like:

-5'10", 225Lbs. 4.39- 40 yard speed.
    -2,194 yards rushing on 307 carries and 16 TD's in 2018 and the Doak Walker award
    -2,003 yards rushing on 320 carries and 21 TD's in 2019 and another Doak Walker award as the nations best RB
    - averaged over 1300 yards per season -After Contact.

Speed, Power, Durability, proven production and gains more YAC in a season than yards before contact. I don't think he will be there at 49.

Leki Fotu is a guy I don't want them to draft. He plays too high and too soft for a D lineman IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Ball security can be coached up fairly simply. I would easily look past 6 fumbles a season and coach that up, but rather focus on his positives like:

-5'10", 225Lbs. 4.39- 40 yard speed.
    -2,194 yards rushing on 307 carries and 16 TD's in 2018 and the Doak Walker award
    -2,003 yards rushing on 320 carries and 21 TD's in 2019 and another Doak Walker award as the nations best RB
    - averaged over 1300 yards per season -After Contact.

Speed, Power, Durability, proven production and gains more YAC in a season than yards before contact. I don't think he will be there at 49.

Leki Fotu is a guy I don't want them to draft. He plays too high and too soft for a D lineman IMO.
    I don’t really have a prospect I absolutely don’t want in black and gold. Taylor has been talked up on this forum as a possible pick at 49. I hate that value/need there. You simplified my concern as “6 fumbles a season” which is a gloss over if there ever was. 6 fumbles in a 10-12 game college season is bigger than that. It’s an issue I’m sure his Wisconsin coaches addressed as well I’m sure since the gameplan revolved around Taylor first and foremost. Taylor has tremendous production over those 3 seasons. His size, speed, burst are all impressive. If he’s the pick at 49 I would be disappointed but not totally depressed about it either. RB fumbles are not acceptable. That is the job. Period.

The more I think about it the less and less I want d-line in round 2 and probably round 3 as well. Depth is fine and the way they use their D-lineman, the player likely won't receive a lot of snaps anyway

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I don’t really have a prospect I absolutely don’t want in black and gold. Taylor has been talked up on this forum as a possible pick at 49. I hate that value/need there. You simplified my concern as “6 fumbles a season” which is a gloss over if there ever was. 6 fumbles in a 10-12 game college season is bigger than that. It’s an issue I’m sure his Wisconsin coaches addressed as well I’m sure since the gameplan revolved around Taylor first and foremost. Taylor has tremendous production over those 3 seasons. His size, speed, burst are all impressive. If he’s the pick at 49 I would be disappointed but not totally depressed about it either. RB fumbles are not acceptable. That is the job. Period.
    Todd McShay on Taylor-

You've got Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin, the only running back in college football history to rush for 1,900-plus yards in three consecutive years. Now, (has has) some fumbling issues — he's got to clean that up. But
    Jonathan Taylor is a special talent. https://247sports.com/Article/2020-N...ire-145729648/

Lewis Riddick on Taylor-

"I think Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin, in this kind of environment, is absolutely gonna stand out. As far as his interviews are concerned, the kid is such an A+ character guy, there's gonna be no question about that. I got to talk to him at the beginning of this year before I did a college football game in South Florida, and he is spectacular. "He's a fantastic player and a fantastic human being." https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Article/-NFL-Combine-2020-Jonathan-Taylor-results-40-yard-dash--144391259/

Bill Bender of Sporting News on Taylor at Combine-

"Taylor was a prolific running back in college, rushing for 6,174 yards and 42 touchdowns for Wisconsin. He increased his stock with a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash and backed that up with a 36-inch vertical jump. Taylor’s performance was the talk of the running back workouts. He could be the first running back drafted as a result."

I think some will question if he has had too many touches already in his career, but I dont think anybody's first thing they think of with Taylor is his fumble rate.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The more I think about it the less and less I want d-line in round 2 and probably round 3 as well. Depth is fine and the way they use their D-lineman, the player likely won't receive a lot of snaps anyway
    I will jinx things and say that I hope the Steelers select Davon Hamilton DT from Ohio St in the 3rd round. I also hope he is still on the board but I kind of don't think he will be there in the 3rd. He would instantly make things more difficult for Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards of the Ravens, as well as Nick Chubb of the Browns and help the Steelers in putting teams in 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

Todd McShay on Taylor-

You've got Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin, the only running back in college football history to rush for 1,900-plus yards in three consecutive years. Now, (has has) some fumbling issues — he's got to clean that up. But
    Jonathan Taylor is a special talent. https://247sports.com/Article/2020-N...ire-145729648/

Lewis Riddick on Taylor-

"I think Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin, in this kind of environment, is absolutely gonna stand out. As far as his interviews are concerned, the kid is such an A+ character guy, there's gonna be no question about that. I got to talk to him at the beginning of this year before I did a college football game in South Florida, and he is spectacular. "He's a fantastic player and a fantastic human being." https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Article/-NFL-Combine-2020-Jonathan-Taylor-results-40-yard-dash--144391259/

Bill Bender of Sporting News on Taylor at Combine-

"Taylor was a prolific running back in college, rushing for 6,174 yards and 42 touchdowns for Wisconsin. He increased his stock with a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash and backed that up with a 36-inch vertical jump. Taylor’s performance was the talk of the running back workouts. He could be the first running back drafted as a result."

I think some will question if he has had too many touches already in his career, but I dont think anybody's first thing they think of with Taylor is his fumble rate.
    You think I'm the first to bring up his fumble rate?

I have already seen RB having problems with fumbles for a long time but after seeing coaches solving his problems ... Best example is Tom Coughlin with Tiki Barker with the giants

If Tomlin can do the same, why not!

I have already seen RB having problems with fumbles for a long time but after seeing coaches solving his problems ... Best example is Tom Coughlin with Tiki Barker with the giants

As I said in the above post. Selecting Taylor at 49 would be disappointing but not depressing. I don't want any RB drafted at 49. Taylor just seems like the most likely candidate if he were there at 49. I love the guy's production in college. He has the size and speed, he can be used in the passing game, he meets a lot of the Steelers criteria for RBs. But he fumbles, plus I don't want a RB at 49. That's the complete story. All there is to it.

I heard somewhere, probably one of the podcasts I listen to, that the Patriots have offered 3 3rd round picks and a 6th for any pick moving them up to the 2nd round. I have no confirmation only this one report. Would you take that trade? Would mean, no 1st or 2nd round picks in 2020, but 4 3rd round picks, 2 4th round picks, a 2nd 6th round pick and a 7th. Gives the Steelers 9 picks vs current 6 picks. I don't even know if this report is real but it is interesting to think about if true.

Just as a comparison. Le'Veon Bell had 2 fumbles in 40 games at Michigan State. Jonathan Taylor has 18 fumbles in 41 games at Wisconsin. Zack Moss 8 in 45 games TCU. Cam Akers 10 in 36 games FSU. Patrick Taylor 7 fumbles in 45 games Memphis. JK Dobbins has 5 in 42 games OSU. Clyde Edwards-Helaire had 2 fumbles in 41 games LSU. Antonio Gibson 2 in 28 games Memphis. AJ Dillon with 8 fumbles in 35 games BC. Michael Warren 3 in 38 games Cincinnati. Sewo Olonilua 6 fumbles in 52 games TCU.

It's an easy stat to look up. I compared top prospect RBs of similar size that the Steelers like. Like I said before it wouldn't 'depress' me if the Steelers take Jonathan Taylor but you can easily see why I would be disappointed with this pick. There are better options at better value later in the draft.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 04-12-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Just as a comparison. Le'Veon Bell had 2 fumbles in 40 games at Michigan State. Jonathan Stewart has 18 fumbles in 41 games at Wisconsin. Zack Moss 8 in 45 games TCU. Cam Akers 10 in 36 games FSU. Patrick Taylor 7 fumbles in 45 games Memphis. JK Dobbins has 5 in 42 games OSU. Clyde Edwards-Helaire had 2 fumbles in 41 games LSU. Antonio Gibson 2 in 28 games Memphis. AJ Dillon with 8 fumbles in 35 games BC. Michael Warren 3 in 38 games Cincinnati. Sewo Olonilua 6 fumbles in 52 games TCU.

It's an easy stat to look up. I compared top prospect RBs of similar size that the Steelers like. Like I said before it wouldn't 'depress' me if the Steelers take Jonathan Taylor but you can easily see why I would be disappointed with this pick. There are better options at better value later in the draft.
    It may be true that taking a RB in round 2 is a bad idea ... Is the depth at this position in the draft is very good this year?

Maybe the o-line or the safety or OLB(I think it's going to be Dupree's last year with us in 2020) would be a better idea .... Maybe take the best player available in his position?

You think I'm the first to bring up his fumble rate?
    No I don't. I believe its about the 10th thing that evaluators and coaches look at with him and know that it can be improved.

Adrian Peterson had 20 fumbles in his first 3 seasons in the NFL
    . Somehow I don't think that has ruined his career.

-2007......4 Fumbles
    -2008......9 Fumbles
    -2009......7 Fumbles

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. I thought Adrian Peterson having 20 fumbles over a 3 year period was a lot. Tiki Barber's worst 3 year total was 27 fumbles.

Somehow he got it fixed the last few seasons of his 10 year, 10,000 yard rushing career.

No I don't. I believe its about the 10th thing that evaluators and coaches look at with him and know that it can be improved.

Adrian Peterson had 20 fumbles in his first 3 seasons in the NFL
    . Somehow I don't think that has ruined his career.

-2007......4 Fumbles
    -2008......9 Fumbles
    -2009......7 Fumbles

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. I thought Adrian Peterson having 20 fumbles over a 3 year period was a lot. Tiki Barber's worst 3 year total was 27 fumbles.

Somehow he got it fixed the last few seasons of his 10 year, 10,000 yard rushing career.
    Just as a comparison. Le'Veon Bell had 2 fumbles in 40 games at Michigan State. Jonathan Taylor has 18 fumbles in 41 games at Wisconsin. Zack Moss 8 in 45 games TCU. Cam Akers 10 in 36 games FSU. Patrick Taylor 7 fumbles in 45 games Memphis. JK Dobbins has 5 in 42 games OSU. Clyde Edwards-Helaire had 2 fumbles in 41 games LSU. Antonio Gibson 2 in 28 games Memphis. AJ Dillon with 8 fumbles in 35 games BC. Michael Warren 3 in 38 games Cincinnati. Sewo Olonilua 6 fumbles in 52 games TCU.