Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Another random thought: if people go back to work but nobody buys stuff isn't that a similar awful economic endpoint?

They could reopen all the restaurants and would anyone show up?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    What if all the dudes who broke the economy a decade ago and made us suckers foot the bill just pay for everything now? Can we eminent domain a hedge fund manager's bonus?
    Maybe in some parallel universe

More likely we get more of this

Fine Print of Stimulus Bill Contains Special Deals for Industries

Restaurants and retailers will get a tweak to federal tax law they have been seeking for more than a year that could save them $15 billion. Community banks are being granted their long-held wish of being freed to reduce the amount of capital they have to hold in reserve.

And for-profit colleges will be able to keep federal loan money from students who drop out because of the coronavirus....

“We went to McConnell’s people, we went to Schumer’s people, and Pelosi’s and McCarthy’s people — we pinged them all,” said Rachelle B. Bernstein, a lobbyist and tax counsel at the National Retail Federation ....

Many of these special-interest provisions would be impossible for a casual reader of the legislation to identify

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/us/politics/virus-fineprint-stimulus-bill.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Hom epage

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Another random thought: if people go back to work but nobody buys stuff isn't that a similar awful economic endpoint?

They could reopen all the restaurants and would anyone show up?
    Mojouw, I think it would be different where I live. A lot of restaurants currently have curb side pick up. They would announce full service, and I think patrons would slowly return. We’re picking up 2-3 times a week.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Mojouw, I think it would be different where I live. A lot of restaurants currently have curb side pick up. They would announce full service, and I think patrons would slowly return. We’re picking up 2-3 times a week.
    We've hit that up a few times as well. Many people out here are saying they would keep doing that but are far from ready to eat/drink in.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

I don't think a lot of the youngsters would blink twice about returning to "life as normal". If they had the money to spend.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    I don't think a lot of the youngsters would blink twice about returning to "life as normal". If they had the money to spend.
    I don't doubt that to be true. I was talking to a close friend of mine the other day. He works in a factory that makes widgets. They are still open, making widgets, and burning through the owner's cash reserves with no one to sell widgets to. The widget buyers are all larger factories that are shuttering their production lines outside of and prior to any state or federal government mandate to do so. The global corporations that own those factories are simply unwilling to assume the risk of a highly sick labor force. So, they don't buy widgets. My buddy's shop is open because the owner doesn't want to screw his labor force anymore than he has already had to by slashing shift hours. But, if no one needs their widgets -- then how long before that doesn't work out?

Unless you are going to frog-march people back to the assembly line, simply declaring the country "open for business" is far from an actual solution. If some corporations remain more willing to suffer financial losses than bear health related consequences AND/OR consumers decide it is far too uncertain of times to open their wallets...what then?

There is a big want versus need component to all this. Unless my washing machine seizes up and dies, I'm not buying a new one. I have wanted to buy one for some time now. There are likely many on sale right now. But with no certainty regarding my personal financial situation, I do not care how many washing machines they produce, how far they discount them in the store, and whatever else -- I'm not prying open my wallet and buying one. Consumer confidence is a tricky and fickle thing. And, like it or not, that is, at least for me, the BIGGEST single variable in any economic discussion moving forward until all this is far far in the rear view mirror.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Maybe in some parallel universe

More likely we get more of this

Fine Print of Stimulus Bill Contains Special Deals for Industries

Restaurants and retailers will get a tweak to federal tax law they have been seeking for more than a year that could save them $15 billion. Community banks are being granted their long-held wish of being freed to reduce the amount of capital they have to hold in reserve.

And for-profit colleges will be able to keep federal loan money from students who drop out because of the coronavirus....

“We went to McConnell’s people, we went to Schumer’s people, and Pelosi’s and McCarthy’s people — we pinged them all,” said Rachelle B. Bernstein, a lobbyist and tax counsel at the National Retail Federation ....

Many of these special-interest provisions would be impossible for a casual reader of the legislation to identify

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/us/politics/virus-fineprint-stimulus-bill.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Hom epage

Addresses some of the questions raised throughout this thread. Is it on point? No idea. A great deal of information to sift through.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think the retired Wells Fargo CEO is going to be able to make rent and have something better than a card table on which the help can put his meals - you obviously cannot shut down the economy indefinitely but he could at least have pretended to go through the cost/benefit analysis rather than saying he does not know, or apparently care, what the health consequences may be

The concerns of someone who is attempting to deal with bring laid off or having their small business shuttered with maybe enough cash to get by until the end of April need to be heard because losing your job or business permanently is the financial equivalent of a life or death matter

But frankly I do not give a damn what retired finance bros who ran the economy off the cliff a dozen years ago have to say about how to deal with this mess after they should have lost their shirts rather than be saved by the government in 2008
    I have no concern for him and his type either. My concern is for my family members who are losing their jobs and have no source of income.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I feel bad for the people who are losing wages. Alas, people were ignoring “suggestions” to avoid group gatherings/public places; ergo, the mandates came down to close everything.

IMO, if people had acted smartly (staying away from group gatherings, washed their hands, bought TP with reason) then we would have stayed in quasi-lockdown for about a month... and, most likely, we would have been okay.

Instead, it became a feeding frenzy for TP with long lines of people mingling to get that TP; the virus was definitely being spread there. Plus, there were group gatherings... some out of spite: “You can’t tell me what to do!!!” Basically, people were doing the exact opposite of what the CDC has been recommending. Since people straight-up ignored the “suggestions”, it resulted in authoritarian measures (i.e. mandated quarantines).

SUMMATION:
    At times, people act stupidly.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Drew Brees is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Drew Brees is the real deal.
    For sure. He always seems to be one of the first step up and donate time and/or money to the community.

I actually hope you are right. But I just don't see it. One reason being that elements of what you are envisioning did exist and they got shitcanned.

Oh well. Not trying to get the last word in or anything. I hope you are right, but I just don't trust people as a group and specifically the cowards and frauds that tend to get elected (from both parties).

Anyways, back to wondering why people with tons of letters after their names are wholly unable to logically or coherently think about teaching online...
    LMAO. See my Private Message

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    LMAO. See my Private Message
    Did you send it to everyone.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

More relief targeted specifically for those most in need due to the impact of COVID-19

The federal government’s planned $2 trillion economic rescue package includes financial aid for individuals and industries that are struggling to survive the coronavirus pandemic.

It also includes a potential bonanza for America’s richest real estate investors.... an easy-to-overlook provision on page 203 of the 880-page bill that would permit wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize their taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. The estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/b...-stimulus.html

So glad to know the beneficiaries of this provision facing privation will now be able to avoid eviction from their homes and keep the doors open for their businesses

If Drew Brees was a real pro he would have insisted on some special tax breaks before pledging $5 million to help with relief efforts

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I feel bad for the people who are losing wages. Alas, people were ignoring “suggestions” to avoid group gatherings/public places; ergo, the mandates came down to close everything.

IMO, if people had acted smartly (staying away from group gatherings, washed their hands, bought TP with reason) then we would have stayed in quasi-lockdown for about a month... and, most likely, we would have been okay.

Instead, it became a feeding frenzy for TP with long lines of people mingling to get that TP; the virus was definitely being spread there. Plus, there were group gatherings... some out of spite: “You can’t tell me what to do!!!” Basically, people were doing the exact opposite of what the CDC has been recommending. Since people straight-up ignored the “suggestions”, it resulted in authoritarian measures (i.e. mandated quarantines).

SUMMATION:
    At times, people act stupidly.
    Many people are just selfish!

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Kirk Herbstreit Says NFL and College Football Should Be Postponed, Too Risky!

3/27/2020 6:12 AM PT

This is bad for football fans ... ESPN star Kirk Herbstreit says he'd be "shocked" if there was NFL or college football in 2020 -- explaining it's just too dangerous with the COVID-19 pandemic.

The "College Gameday" host went on ESPN radio late Thursday and spelled out why he's so pessimistic about seeing America's biggest sport on the biggest stages.

"I'll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I'll be so surprised if that happens," Kirk said.

"Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you're 12 to 18 months from a [coronavirus] vaccine. I don't know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don't know how you can do it with the optics of it."

Kirk said if he was the NFL commish or in charge of the NCAA, he would shut it down ASAP -- "Next thing you know you got a locker room full of guys that are sick. And that's on your watch? I wouldn't want to have that."

"As much as I hate to say it, I think we're scratching the surface of where this thing's gonna go."
    https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/27/kirk-...tball-college/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The hit the economy, in general, would take if there was no NFL football (or college football) would be massive in most parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

How funny is that, he works for ESPN, but it’s being reported by TMZ.Hmmmm? I would say that’s pretty irresponsible of him to say, but then I consider the source and take it with a grain of salt.

Sad to report that this post appears to indicate Mike Florio of PFT has gone mad after several weeks of social distancing and the prospect of another month of it to come

Could an isolated coronavirus-free facility be only way for NFL to play in 2020?

As the reality of life amid the coronavirus pandemic continues to sink in, the NFL needs to be sinking its teeth into the reality that a normal football season won’t happen this year....

There’s another way to have football. It’s an extreme idea, one that was floated to a G.M. earlier this week and mentioned in the Sunday mailbag and repeated during a visit with WFAN on Sunday afternoon: The NFL takes all teams to a location free from coronavirus, tests everyone on the way in, and then sequesters the entire league for the full duration of the season....

One possibility would be to find a place literally in the middle of nowhere and build enough fields to play the various games on a given Sunday (and Saturday, if college football doesn’t happen in 2020) and enough rooms to house the players, coaches, trainers, broadcasters, etc. for 17 weeks of football and four weeks of the postseason. Another possibility would be to add to the football facility at the Greenbrier in West Virginia, which currently has 710 rooms.

More rooms would have to be built, and built quickly. More fields would have to be built, and built quickly.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-play-in-2020/

WTF?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Sad to report that this post appears to indicate Mike Florio of PFT has gone mad after several weeks of social distancing and the prospect of another month of it to come

Could an isolated coronavirus-free facility be only way for NFL to play in 2020?

As the reality of life amid the coronavirus pandemic continues to sink in, the NFL needs to be sinking its teeth into the reality that a normal football season won’t happen this year....

There’s another way to have football. It’s an extreme idea, one that was floated to a G.M. earlier this week and mentioned in the Sunday mailbag and repeated during a visit with WFAN on Sunday afternoon: The NFL takes all teams to a location free from coronavirus, tests everyone on the way in, and then sequesters the entire league for the full duration of the season....

One possibility would be to find a place literally in the middle of nowhere and build enough fields to play the various games on a given Sunday (and Saturday, if college football doesn’t happen in 2020) and enough rooms to house the players, coaches, trainers, broadcasters, etc. for 17 weeks of football and four weeks of the postseason. Another possibility would be to add to the football facility at the Greenbrier in West Virginia, which currently has 710 rooms.

More rooms would have to be built, and built quickly. More fields would have to be built, and built quickly.

WTF?

Outsource the construction of the facilities to China.
    They built those emergency hospitals in record time.

WTF?

Maybe they can use the Greenbriers bunker?

https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...enbrier-bunker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they can use the Greenbriers bunker?

https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...enbrier-bunker
    Sounds good

President and Congress arrive at the bunker after the virus has not abated but find out Roger and the owners have booked the bunker through the Super Bowl in February - government officials told the Motel 6 down the road may have some rooms assuming those have not been rented to the players and front office personnel with who Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft will not share bunker living space taken up by construction of 32 owners boxes

Sounds good

President and Congress arrive at the bunker after the virus has not abated but find out Roger and the owners have booked the bunker through the Super Bowl in February - government officials told the Motel 6 down the road may have some rooms assuming those have not been rented to the players and front office personnel with who Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft will not share bunker living space taken up by construction of 32 owners boxes
    C'mon. Roger, Jerrah, and Bobo are not gonna settle for less than the best. They will have purchased the rights to the Cheyenne Mountain complex by then. Let the lesser owners stay at the Greenbrier.

Me, I'm looking into rehabbing a derelict missile silo somewhere with a nice view. Or, maybe, a nice decommissioned DEW line radar installation in the high artic?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Anecdotally, two of the people I keep in contact with from my hometown have been robbed in the past week. One had both of his family's cars broken into, the other had his car stolen. I sure hope that is just an unusual coincidence, and not the early signs of people with no income getting desperate.

On the global level, we have now reached the point where the TOTAL deaths from the coronavirus over 4-5 months have now reached approximately 5% to 10% of the background death rate for a single DAY. Think about that shit for a while.

This is not even considering the new estimates from the Imperial College that at minimum half that total are "stolen" from other causes of death - e.g., people who would have likely died anyway from something else very shortly. Same guy who published the famous doomsday study predicting millions dead, since revised down to a tenth of the original number, for those keeping score at home. Not as if you'd be keeping score anywhere else.

This "pandemic" (quotes intentional) will very likely not be remembered for the number of deaths it caused, it will be remembered for the response. For the hundreds of millions thrust into poverty and hardship, and the permanent loss of freedom (no telling for sure what will stick - stay tuned!) that follows. There have been pandemics before and there will be again, and as always, the world does not end and carries on. Still no clue why it was allowed to get to this point.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

This "pandemic" (quotes intentional) will very likely not be remembered for the number of deaths it caused, it will be remembered for the response. For the hundreds of millions thrust into poverty and hardship, and the permanent loss of freedom (no telling for sure what will stick - stay tuned!) that follows. There have been pandemics before and there will be again, and as always, the world does not end and carries on. Still no clue why it was allowed to get to this point.
    An oldie but a goodie

I mean, for Christ's sake, if you are afraid of dying from Coronavirus, that is literally 20 times less likely than being struck by lightning. Go buy a goddamn lottery ticket if you're into one-in-a-million chances.

This is almost entirely the result of shamelessly irresponsible reporting and fearmongering. Anything to get a click - truly a new low. Buy airline stocks, they're all down 50% for no reason.
    So 2020 is going to be an absolutely hellacious year for lightning strikes, eh?

How has buying airline stocks after you posted this on March 9 worked out for you?

What is your next hot stock tip - lightning rod manufacturers?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Anecdotally, two of the people I keep in contact with from my hometown have been robbed in the past week. One had both of his family's cars broken into, the other had his car stolen. I sure hope that is just an unusual coincidence, and not the early signs of people with no income getting desperate.

On the global level, we have now reached the point where the TOTAL deaths from the coronavirus over 4-5 months have now reached approximately 5% to 10% of the background death rate for a single DAY. Think about that shit for a while.

This is not even considering the new estimates from the Imperial College that at minimum half that total are "stolen" from other causes of death - e.g., people who would have likely died anyway from something else very shortly. Same guy who published the famous doomsday study predicting millions dead, since revised down to a tenth of the original number, for those keeping score at home. Not as if you'd be keeping score anywhere else.

Still at it with the minimization of this global pandemic (no quotes around pandemic).
    Try selling “it won’t be remembered for the number of deaths,” to the families that have lost someone to it.
    I still hear the epidemiologists saying that this is not something to take lightly because it is highly contagious (much more so than other flu strains) and that it kills the young, the middle aged, the elderly, and...news flash...even those without underlying medical conditions.
    We must be listening to different news sources.

- - - Updated - - -

“Airline stocks are down for no good reason.”

”That’s gold Jerry!”

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Anecdotally, two of the people I keep in contact with from my hometown have been robbed in the past week. ................. I sure hope that is just an unusual coincidence, and not the early signs of people with no income getting desperate..........
    Just don't live in a shithole.

Or if you do....

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

An oldie but a goodie

So 2020 is going to be an absolutely hellacious year for lightning strikes, eh?

How has buying airline stocks after you posted this on March 9 worked out for you?

What is your next hot stock tip - lightning rod manufacturers?

Actually not terribly compared to back then, but check back in a year or so, duh. The point is to make money after the panic is over, not while it is still going on, which is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Still at it with the minimization of this global pandemic (no quotes around pandemic).
    Try selling “it won’t be remembered for the number of deaths,” to the families that have lost someone to it.
    I still hear the epidemiologists saying that this is not something to take lightly because it is highly contagious (much more so than other flu strains) and that it kills the young, the middle aged, the elderly, and...news flash...even those without underlying medical conditions.
    We must be listening to different news sources.
    Still at it.

While it is not as if the "pandemic" (yes, quotes) ought to be completely ignored - always smart to take reasonable precautions and such - it is still pretty clear that the extreme to which the response has been taken is incredibly destructive. It is possible to take precautions without going completely overboard, and that is what it looks like. Not precautions, but a panic over a disease with a very high survival rate.

The emotional appeal of "but what if it was a loved one, etc etc," while surely poignant, is really the opposite of clear thinking, and in fact is largely what got us into this mess in the first place, and therefore should be discarded outright. But, if we're playing that game, while we're at it: Which is worse, the death of one person who most likely did not have long to live in the first place - or making a thousand families unemployed and desperate? Because that is literally the situation and the ratio that we are talking about here.

I think the issue is that we are listening to the exact same news sources, and then I am going, "hmm, what they described sure sounds frightening, I wonder how it checks out against the actual numbers and comparable situations," and you are not. That is the most plausible explanation I have.

Like, I've seen the same reports as you about the young, the healthy, and so on, and like many things with this "pandemic" (note the quotes again), it appears there are isolated cases of that, but they would have you believe it was happening everywhere. For example, even in the Lombardy region of Italy, which has been breathlessly depicted as damn near ground zero of the literal Apocalypse, the infection rate is a staggering ... 0.5%. Not the death rate, the infection rate. True story - you can even look this up. I will wait a few seconds for you to do that.

I think a very large part of the reason for the panic has to do with an almost total lack of understanding of the relevant concepts of scale and proportion on the part of the general public. Framing something in the context of "a million" and it just isn't real to most people; they will insert whatever their own concept of "pretty big" is.

But the truth is that there is a long, long way to go before the numbers are on your side and not mine, and it will take something of lightning-strike odds to ever get close.
    See you Space Cowboy ...