Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger's HISTORIC Rookie Season

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Ben Roethlisberger's HISTORIC Rookie Season

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I watched the 2006 Super Bowl on the nfl network last night. It’s amazing how well Ben could move back then. But that pass from El was perfect - aided by a great block by Ben.
    I can still remember my reaction to that play. We were having a pretty big party at our house and people had thought I lost my mind. I think they moved away from me just a little.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I can still remember my reaction to that play. We were having a pretty big party at our house and people had thought I lost my mind. I think they moved away from me just a little.
    Pretty close to my wife's reaction. She jumped up on the couch and almost tipped over LMAO

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

You could tell even after Tommy went down Ben almost brought the Steelers back in that game against the Ravens he was something special.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    You could tell even after Tommy went down Ben almost brought the Steelers back in that game against the Ravens he was something special.
    Some were not so sure

Not everyone is excited about Roethlisberger's first NFL start

The excitement that rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger might bring Sunday in Miami to his first NFL start is not what co-captain Alan Faneca prefers....

"Exciting?" Faneca replied to a question in an are-you-crazy kind of way. "No, it's not exciting. Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?"

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/200409210185

Interesting to look back and see how Ben replacing Maddox was regarded at the time it happened with no idea how well it was going to turn out.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    If Cowher wasn't on board with Ben being the pick, it would not have happened. I never saw anything in print or video where Dan Rooney ordered this pick

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If Cowher wasn't on board with Ben being the pick, it would not have happened. I never saw anything in print or video where Dan Rooney ordered this pick
    Really though. It was discussed a few times (back a few months ago) in several of the dozens of threads that you started.

SIX RINGS: Cowher never had a franchise QB...
    FAN’76: Cowher ignored the QB position...
    (You would start another thread.)

SIX RINGS: Imagine if Cowher had a franchise QB...
    HAWAII: Cowher didn’t want Ben...

SIX RINGS: Cowher would have been much better...
    TUBE517: Joe Montana begged to come here, but Cowher told him to go away...

SIX RINGS: If Cowher had had a franchise QB...
    HAWKMAN: Cowher was supposed to draft Brees...

SIX RINGS: Cowher woulda won ten Super Bowls...
    TEEGRE: Cowher’s philosophy almost worked. Except...

Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Really though. It was discussed a few times (back a few months ago) in several of the dozens of threads that you started.

SIX RINGS: Cowher never had a franchise QB...
    FAN’76: Cowher ignored the QB position...

SIX RINGS: Imagine if Cowher had a franchise QB...
    HAWAII: Cowher didn’t want Ben...

SIX RINGS: Cowher would have been much better...
    TUBE517: Joe Montana begged to come here, but Cowher told him to go away...

SIX RINGS: If Cowher had had a franchise QB...
    HAWKMAN: Cowher was supposed to draft Brees...

SIX RINGS: Cowher woulda won ten Super Bowls...
    TEEGRE: Cowher’s philosophy almost worked. Except...

Repeat.
    Damn son, you did some serious mining.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Damn son, you did some serious mining.
    Well... I am from West Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Well... I am from West Virginia.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

How could he be the perfect quarterback for the team around him? You're the one that said he couldn't try to be Tommy Maddox. As if he wasn't capable of playing at the level Maddox could.

Would they have gone 16-0 or 15-1 with Maddox as quarterback? They should have won everything with that stud behind center.

The coaching staff, teammates, and everyone else knew it the second he played in live action. In football tape terms...he jumped off the screen when you saw him play.
    That same team was a Joe Nedney acting job away from a second consecutive AFC title game appearance with Maddox in 2002. This isn't a group of rookies and scrubs Ben was playing with in 2004.

You're one of a small group that couldn't see that Ben had "it". Did you listen to the announcers and analysts talk about Ben and what he was doing as a rookie? It just isn't something that happened up until that time. If you watch those highlights and not see a complete package of talents that other QBs simply couldn't do when he came into the league, that's on you. That year spoke for itself.
    That is not the argument. No one, not a single person here said Ben "lacked talent" or wasn't a good package.

Just so you understand. Most quarterbacks that go to the HOF have "it".....and you usually see it very early in their careers because they do things routinely that other quarterbacks can't, or they do great things in big moments that other quarterbacks don't. It's not that difficult.

Just keep hating on the guy. It's what you do.
    All quarterbacks have some level of talent. That's how they catch the eyes of coaches and scouts make it to the NFL to begin with. There isn't some arbitary imaginary stuff like "It" that makes them successful. Andrew Luck was the absolute surefire thing. First pick of the draft. Multiple pro bowls and all-pro honors. But he was out of the league by 29. Did Andrew Luck just not have "it"?

2004 Ben was a perfect combination of a talented rookie placed in stable organization with a solid team with elite veteran talent surrounding him. Ben had a minimal workload, wasn't asked to do much, and his teammates did the rest. Ben was that extra surge that took that team over the top. Ben was the perfect fit for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ben had a minimal workload, wasn't asked to do much, and his teammates did the rest. Ben was that extra surge that took that team over the top. Ben was the perfect fit for the Steelers.
    Except, that is wrong. Or, let me rephrase, it is right for a good portion of the first season, but by the end and headed into our first SB winning season since the '70s dynasty, Ben was carrying the workload, putting the team up in points, and then Cowher would shut down the passing game and run out the clock. Moreover, give that video another look. Ben did not have clean pockets. He was flushed out of the pocket many times. That great O-line you refer to, was a great run-blocking O-line.

Look, did Ben land in a good place? Yes. Of course, that good place called the Pittsburgh Steelers won only six games the previous year with Maddox at the helm. Ben wasn't the "extra surge." He was the engine that allowed all the other moving parts (on offense) to operate at a much higher level as well as providing the defense with more room to breathe.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

That same team was a Joe Nedney acting job away from a second consecutive AFC title game appearance with Maddox in 2002. This isn't a group of rookies and scrubs Ben was playing with in 2004.

That is not the argument. No one, not a single person here said Ben "lacked talent" or wasn't a good package.

All quarterbacks have some level of talent. That's how they catch the eyes of coaches and scouts make it to the NFL to begin with. There isn't some arbitary imaginary stuff like "It" that makes them successful. Andrew Luck was the absolute surefire thing. First pick of the draft. Multiple pro bowls and all-pro honors. But he was out of the league by 29. Did Andrew Luck just not have "it"?

2004 Ben was a perfect combination of a talented rookie placed in stable organization with a solid team with elite veteran talent surrounding him. Ben had a minimal workload, wasn't asked to do much, and his teammates did the rest. Ben was that extra surge that took that team over the top. Ben was the perfect fit for any team.

You're so full of it. In 2003 they were 6-10. That's the team they were before Ben became quarterback. Going back multiple years to try to make a point and ignore the previous year which is a much more accurate portrayal.......that's so you. Maddox started all 16 games in 2003.......6-10 record. Swing and a miss.

Ben wasn't the perfect fit for the Steelers. He was the perfect fit for any team because he is a great quarterback......DUH.

Once again, a simple truth eludes you.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Look back at the big three from the draft class. In full hindsight many of the draft pundits nailed it.

Eli was the cleanest prospect. Most scheme advanced and cerebral when they came out.

Rivers was the most advanced as a passer. Ready to play right away and do a ton of NFL type things. All these years later still likely the best pure passer of the 3.

Ben was the wildcard. Likely had the best physical tools as a thrower of the 3. But he was raw and unrefined. So more of a gamble.

I remember reading predraft someone argue that if you needed one of the three to lead a late game drive outside in foul weather and just stick a 10 yard out into coverage, Ben was your guy. If you wanted a brainy QB to dissect a complex defense, Eli was your guy. If you wanted a guy to make a bunch of passes and not turn the ball over, Rivers was your guy.

I think those thumbnail sketches still hold up.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree.

The pre draft stuff is all hogwash until they step on the field.
    Rivers has the absolute WORST throwing motion I've ever seen!

Of the big 3 that year Ben is the ONLY sure fire HOFer
    Eli admittedly will make it because his last name is 'Manning' and because of his 2 Super Bowls beating New England.
    Rivers should NEVER get a sniff and while he's at it get snipped lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You're so full of it. In 2003 they were 6-10. That's the team they were before Ben became quarterback. Going back multiple years to try to make a point and ignore the previous year which is a much more accurate portrayal.......that's so you. Maddox started all 16 games in 2003.......6-10 record. Swing and a miss.

Ben wasn't the perfect fit for the Steelers. He was the perfect fit for any team because he is a great quarterback......DUH.

Once again, a simple truth eludes you.
    Some people just hate the FACTS & TRUTH!
    You know that Ben MADE the Steelers BETTER.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Ben had a minimal workload, wasn't asked to do much, and his teammates did the rest
    ROFLMAO minimal work load. Wasn't asked to do much I guess all those times he used his legs to make a play he was simply ignoring the coaches who wanted him to just hand the ball off to the RB. If this is how you really feel you have no idea how fortunate the Steelers are to have Ben as the QB of this team.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben was a special QB since day one!

Great video!

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    ROFLMAO minimal work load. Wasn't asked to do much I guess all those times he used his legs to make a play he was simply ignoring the coaches who wanted him to just hand the ball off to the RB. If this is how you really feel you have no idea how fortunate the Steelers are to have Ben as the QB of this team.
    Many forget that in 2004 and 2005, the steelers had a run-pass ratio of about 50-50 in the first half, but after, often after a big led because of some big play by Ben and other things, the steelers ran the ball for almost the second half to keep their lead ... Just watch the game against the colts in the playoffs in 2005.

They knew it so much and that's why Ben was riding the bench to start 2004 and was never going to see the field ever if Maddox doesn't get hurt.

Ben is talented no doubt, but he was also not asked to be the hero, and he was the perfect Quarterback for the veteran team around him. Multiple Pro Bowlers on the Offensive Line. Three future Hall Of Famers on offense. Defense stacked with multiple pro bowlers and a HOF safety. I don't see what that is some kind of insulting thing. Just get the ball to your playmakers and minimize mistakes.

He had "it" though and other Quarterbacks don't. Somehow.
    First, at this time, the rookie QB was on the bench for most of the time, so we can't blame Cowher for that

The other thing, the steelers were 6-10 the year before and was very unimpressive in the first two games of the season without Ben as starting against the Raiders and Ravens. 13-0 with Ben after, best regular season in steelers history.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Some were not so sure

Not everyone is excited about Roethlisberger's first NFL start

The excitement that rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger might bring Sunday in Miami to his first NFL start is not what co-captain Alan Faneca prefers....

"Exciting?" Faneca replied to a question in an are-you-crazy kind of way. "No, it's not exciting. Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?"

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/200409210185

Interesting to look back and see how Ben replacing Maddox was regarded at the time it happened with no idea how well it was going to turn out.

At this time,it was very hard for a rookie QB to be good.I mean before 2004,the most win ever for a rookie QB were only 6!

- - - Updated - - -

2004 Ben was a perfect combination of a talented rookie placed in stable organization with a solid team with elite veteran talent surrounding him. Ben had a minimal workload, wasn't asked to do much, and his teammates did the rest. Ben was that extra surge that took that team over the top. Ben was the perfect fit for the Steelers.
    The 2002 Steelers were only 10-5-1 and they almost lost at home in the wild card round against the Cleveland Browns….Yes Ben was in a good situation at the start,but almost every QB who has been good or great at the start was in a great situation and it includes Patrick Mahomes.