Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger's HISTORIC Rookie Season

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Ben Roethlisberger's HISTORIC Rookie Season

Maybe this has been posted, if so I haven't seen it. Click on the "Watch On Youtube"

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Ben Roethlisberger's HISTORIC Rookie Season

Man...seems like yesterday

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

It really was something special. You could tell from his first bit of playing time against the Ravens that he just had 'IT'.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    It really was something special. You could tell from his first bit of playing time against the Ravens that he just had 'IT'.
    It also helps that he wasn't asked to be the savior week in and out. Or asked to duplicate Tommy Maddox.

But he somehow had "it".

2004 was a perfect storm of a talented rookie with a solid veteran team around him. Ben was the missing cog that was needed for that machine.

Funny the things that stand out now. He had good receivers that helped him, rather than hurt him. And, of course, he had a run game that helped with the play action, although it wasn't called to often.

However, just a few games in, it's amazing how much he improved with putting touch on his throws, knowing the windows he could throw through, and his arm strength was just unreal.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It also helps that he wasn't asked to be the savior week in and out. Or asked to duplicate Tommy Maddox.

But he somehow had "it".

2004 was a perfect storm of a talented rookie with a solid veteran team around him. Ben was the missing cog that was needed for that machine.
    It's OK, he'll be gone soon enough. But who will you have to bag on then?

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

i just watched this last night on Youtube and yes it does just seem like yesterday. Thanks for posting

I knew we had something special when I saw what happened Dallas, down 10 going into the 4th quarter Ben lead us back for the win, and using his legs as well as his arm to do it.

I also remember people who would criticize him for holding onto the ball to long and I would say what makes him bad also makes him great. He never gave up on a play.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    I thought he was good, but that Cowboys game, that’s when I really, REALLY knew he was special. Then he followed that up by beating the best team in the AFC and best team in the NFC back-to-back.

During the Cowboys game, it wasn’t that his stats were great but he was showing he could make difficult throws and make them with confidence and there was a calmness about him. You could also tell he was a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I thought he was good, but that Cowboys game, that’s when I really, REALLY knew he was special. Then he followed that up by beating the best team in the AFC and best team in the NFC back-to-back.

During the Cowboys game, it wasn’t that his stats were great but he was showing he could make difficult throws and make them with confidence and there was a calmness about him. You could also tell he was a leader.
    I still remember the Cowboys game as well. I knew we were going to be good for a long time with a real QB.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

But he somehow had "it".

You're right. He didn't duplicate Tommy Maddox.

He was far better than Tommy Maddox. Anyone watching and paying attention that understood football knew it immediately.

His coaches knew it.

His teammates knew it.

His opponents knew it.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Awesome, how many QB’s can throw on the run like that. It’s also a reminder how cool Ben was in a collapsing pocket. Rudolph and Hodges should watch this video - a few times

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I didn't realize how tall Paul Tagliabue was. He was eye to eye with Ben when they shook hands.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So a rookie QB can move their head, eyes, and feet all on the same play AND still complete a pass? I forgot that was possible.

Not to derail/hijack the thread - -but all I could think about watching that video was how awful Rudolph and Hodges looked by comparison.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So a rookie QB can move their head, eyes, and feet all on the same play AND still complete a pass? I forgot that was possible.

Not to derail/hijack the thread - -but all I could think about watching that video was how awful Rudolph and Hodges looked by comparison.
    As did most every Steelers QB from 1983 through 2003

The term franchise QB is thrown around these days to seemingly cover at least a third of the starters in the league, but the real deal who does it at a top level for a decade does not come around that often

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I forgot they beat the 6-0 Patriots and then the 7-0 Eagles the following week.

Had the Taperiots gotten caught they would have won the SB that year.

Also Burress tripped, fell down and dropped a lot of balls while running without being touched.

One of Hines Ward's (now illegal) blocks at 27:15. Man were they a thing of beauty.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

What an awesome season that was! This has put me in the mood to dig out all of my dvd's and rewatch the entire season.
    I miss seeing Hines Ward play with that huge grin on his face. Great memories!!
    Thanks for sharing this!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Yeah, it is kind of true that we’re “spoiled” having Ben. But there’s just such a big difference between a QB who just has it, and ones who don’t.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I almost forgot that Deuce Staley actually suited up for us occasionally. Most of my memories of him as a Steeler are on the sidelines in sweats.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You're right. He didn't duplicate Tommy Maddox.

He was far better than Tommy Maddox. Anyone watching and paying attention that understood football knew it immediately.

His coaches knew it.

His teammates knew it.

His opponents knew it.
    They knew it so much and that's why Ben was riding the bench to start 2004 and was never going to see the field ever if Maddox doesn't get hurt.

Ben is talented no doubt, but he was also not asked to be the hero, and he was the perfect Quarterback for the veteran team around him. Multiple Pro Bowlers on the Offensive Line. Three future Hall Of Famers on offense. Defense stacked with multiple pro bowlers and a HOF safety. I don't see what that is some kind of insulting thing. Just get the ball to your playmakers and minimize mistakes.

He had "it" though and other Quarterbacks don't. Somehow.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

They knew it so much and that's why Ben was riding the bench to start 2004 and was never going to see the field ever if Maddox doesn't get hurt.

Ben is talented no doubt, but he was also not asked to be the hero, and he was the perfect Quarterback for the veteran team around him. Multiple Pro Bowlers on the Offensive Line. Three future Hall Of Famers on offense. Defense stacked with multiple pro bowlers and a HOF safety. I don't see what that is some kind of insulting thing. Just get the ball to your playmakers and minimize mistakes.

Actually he was the 3rd string QB going into camp that year behind one Chuck Batch.
    Batch got injured during camp/pre-season so Ben jumped to #2

Ultimately though, had that not happened the 15-1 04 season is probably a repeat of 03 at 6-10 maybe just maybe 8-8/9-7
    And then because of Ben they go on the magical run in 2005.
    And without Ben again 2008 'THE DRIVE' doesn't happen. Which oddly enough happened twice in the same season...once against the Ravens to clinch the division and of course the main one to win it all.

I get all the slagging for his off field junk and it's justified but his on field is right up there with the best of the best.

Let's hope he returns to the Ben of a few years ago and we win it all!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Yep he would have rode the bench if Tommy doesn't go down, but Tommy did go down and I didn't see the coaching staff struggling to decide who the starter should be when Tommy was healed, so while they may not have known it from the start I think they were pretty convinced when they saw and evaluated his performances in games that mattered.

Asking someone to be a hero? Really? Hero's don't have to be asked or invited to be a hero they simply go out and perform.

Yes he had some great players on both sides of the ball so what. Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach and even Joe Montana had quite a supporting cast as well doesn't mean they weren't all great QBs.

You still minimize what Ben did when you say just get the ball to your play makers. Ben not only got the ball to them he often times did it when he was under duress or holding onto the ball to long. He not only used his arm he used his legs to run the ball and also scramble around long enough to get the ball to those play makers.

ARE was a great talent when he was with Ben, but you never really heard from him when he left. Same with Martavis Bryant, Santonio Holmes and a few others.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Yep he would have rode the bench if Tommy doesn't go down, but Tommy did go down and I didn't see the coaching staff struggling to decide who the starter should be when Tommy was healed, so while they may not have known it from the start I think they were pretty convinced when they saw and evaluated his performances in games that mattered.

Asking someone to be a hero? Really? Hero's don't have to be asked or invited to be a hero they simply go out and perform.

Yes he had some great players on both sides of the ball so what. Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach and even Joe Montana had quite a supporting cast as well doesn't mean they weren't all great QBs.

You still minimize what Ben did when you say just get the ball to your play makers. Ben not only got the ball to them he often times did it when he was under duress or holding onto the ball to long. He not only used his arm he used his legs to run the ball and also scramble around long enough to get the ball to those play makers.

ARE was a great talent when he was with Ben, but you never really heard from him when he left. Same with Martavis Bryant, Santonio Holmes and a few others.
    Mike Wallace is another.

Hell even add in Antonio DBAG Brown as a guy who literally amounted to NOTHING without Ben.

Fact is Ben Roethlisberger is the MOST UNDERRATED QB of this ERA and it's not even close...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

How could he be the perfect quarterback for the team around him? You're the one that said he couldn't try to be Tommy Maddox. As if he wasn't capable of playing at the level Maddox could.

Would they have gone 16-0 or 15-1 with Maddox as quarterback? They should have won everything with that stud behind center.

The coaching staff, teammates, and everyone else knew it the second he played in live action. In football tape terms...he jumped off the screen when you saw him play.

You're one of a small group that couldn't see that Ben had "it". Did you listen to the announcers and analysts talk about Ben and what he was doing as a rookie? It just isn't something that happened up until that time. If you watch those highlights and not see a complete package of talents that other QBs simply couldn't do when he came into the league, that's on you. That year spoke for itself.

Just so you understand. Most quarterbacks that go to the HOF have "it".....and you usually see it very early in their careers because they do things routinely that other quarterbacks can't, or they do great things in big moments that other quarterbacks don't. It's not that difficult.

Just keep hating on the guy. It's what you do.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Look back at the big three from the draft class. In full hindsight many of the draft pundits nailed it.

Eli was the cleanest prospect. Most scheme advanced and cerebral when they came out.

Rivers was the most advanced as a passer. Ready to play right away and do a ton of NFL type things. All these years later still likely the best pure passer of the 3.

Ben was the wildcard. Likely had the best physical tools as a thrower of the 3. But he was raw and unrefined. So more of a gamble.

I remember reading predraft someone argue that if you needed one of the three to lead a late game drive outside in foul weather and just stick a 10 yard out into coverage, Ben was your guy. If you wanted a brainy QB to dissect a complex defense, Eli was your guy. If you wanted a guy to make a bunch of passes and not turn the ball over, Rivers was your guy.

I think those thumbnail sketches still hold up.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

And the sainted Tom Brady rode the bench for a season+ behind Bledsoe until Bledsoe got hurt. So what?

Cowher undervalued the QB position anyway, which is a big reason why the Kordell Experiment lasted for five years and why he also was about to pull the trigger on an OT in the first round of the '04 draft until Dan Rooney pulled rank on him and forced him to take Roethlisberger. Speaking of which, where is Shawn Andrews now? Oh yeah, he's been out of the league for about a decade.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    And the sainted Tom Brady rode the bench for a season+ behind Bledsoe until Bledsoe got hurt. So what?

Cowher undervalued the QB position anyway, which is a big reason why the Kordell Experiment lasted for five years and why he also was about to pull the trigger on an OT in the first round of the '04 draft until Dan Rooney pulled rank on him and forced him to take Roethlisberger. Speaking of which, where is Shawn Andrews now? Oh yeah, he's been out of the league for about a decade.
    If Cowher wasn't on board with Ben being the pick, it would not have happened. I never saw anything in print or video where Dan Rooney ordered this pick

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    If Cowher wasn't on board with Ben being the pick, it would not have happened. I never saw anything in print or video where Dan Rooney ordered this pick
    Seriously? It's pretty widely documented.

Today’s lesson in Dan Rooney history is literally the most important anecdote in modern Steelers history—the story of how he convinced the team to draft quarterback Ben Roethlisberger rather than offensive lineman Shawn Andrews. That executive decision—or suggestion—no doubt changed the franchise’s fortunes over the past decade-plus.

This is a widely-documented account from which can be cited any number of sources. Just one of them would be an article from Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on the eve of Super Bowl XLV. “Imagine what might have occurred in the past decade had the Steelers drafted offensive lineman Shawn Andrews in the first round in 2004 instead of Ben Roethlisberger”, he began.

“That was their intention, until Dan Rooney stepped in”. Rooney, in fact, recounted this event in his autobiography published three years prior to the article, in 2007. Bouchette quotes the man himself: “I couldn’t bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger”.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2017/04/fr...oethlisberger/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post

All in this book as FS76 states above.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I watched the 2006 Super Bowl on the nfl network last night. It’s amazing how well Ben could move back then. But that pass from El was perfect - aided by a great block by Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Nailed it.