Thread: Defense with and without pass pressure

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Defense with and without pass pressure

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-pressure-2018

Interesting study. Second highest pressure rate in the league. Ranked just outside top ten when getting pressure and almost bottom in the league when not getting pressure.

Not exactly a revolutionary analysis or conclusion. But does seem to support the use of FA and draft resources on DBs and ILBs rather than pass rushers. The pass rush is doing its job in terms of generating pressure. Not enough is resulting from that pressure and the defense is totally dysfunctional without it.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Defense with and without pass pressure

It's been a long time that I said that the problem of the steelers is the pass coverage and not the pressure.

It's impossible to put pressure on the QB in each pass play, so the coverage needs to be much better .... Of course, the many blown coverage in 2015 or 2017 has not helped and it was embarrassing but this is a another story.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

I do not want to see another time a LB on a WR, even less on an elite WR like Michael Thomas!!!!....Are you kidding me !!!!

I know it's been talking about that a lot in this off season, but it's so frustrating to see coaches putting players in a impossible situation to win ... It's so frustrating that I could throw my tv by the window if I see it again next year so much that this situation is awful..... I prefer to see our worst corner on the field (Artie Burns) than to see a LB on WR like AJ Green, Allen or Michael Thomas .... It's ridiculous!...It's getting outcoached by itself ... I would be able to be a great OC or QB if the opponents would put a LB on the best WR so often!
    I agree, what kind of a defense would ever put VW on Michael Thomas or Jon Bostic on Keenan Allen in man coverage? how is that even a possibility for Butler?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-pressure-2018

Interesting study. Second highest pressure rate in the league. Ranked just outside top ten when getting pressure and almost bottom in the league when not getting pressure.

Not exactly a revolutionary analysis or conclusion. But does seem to support the use of FA and draft resources on DBs and ILBs rather than pass rushers. The pass rush is doing its job in terms of generating pressure. Not enough is resulting from that pressure and the defense is totally dysfunctional without it.
    Without our pass rush, the DB's would be the darkest shade of brunt toast. An average DB unit would get lots of interceptions with our pass rush. Yet the coaches fail to develop DB's, and the GM isn't very good at picking them,

IMO this is the #1 reason why we can't win playoffs games.

Member Array title="slashsteel is on a distinguished road"> slashsteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Without our pass rush, the DB's would be the darkest shade of brunt toast. An average DB unit would get lots of interceptions with our pass rush. Yet the coaches fail to develop DB's, and the GM isn't very good at picking them,

IMO this is the #1 reason why we can't win playoffs games.
    Well they upgraded corner and speed at ILber. And the S's are in their second year playing their positions within the Steelers scheme so there should be better play across the board.

There is enough talent on both sides of the ball, anything less than a deep playoff run should bring on a coach change. (but won't)