Thread: Roethlisberger Impressed By New WRs Moncrief, Johnson As Steelers 2019 Minicamp Gets Underway

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Roethlisberger Impressed By New WRs Moncrief, Johnson As Steelers 2019 Minicamp Gets Underway

Last week during the final OTA practices, Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver Diontae Johnson talked about the limited time he had recently received with the first-team offense and more specifically, with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Johnson, who was the team’s first of two third-round draft picks this year, explained during that media session how Roethlisberger tested him some during those limited reps and how he felt that overall he passed. On Tuesday, Roethlisberger seemingly confirmed that his rookie wide receiver passed those tests.

“The one thing I noticed was he caught every ball I threw to him,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I even threw him some bad balls on purpose, throw some high, behind him, just to see if he would catch them. And he caught every one. It was impressive.”

Roethlisberger describing a rookie wide receiver as being impressive during OTAs is in itself, impressive. And it doesn’t sound like any of what he said was hyperbole, either, and that’s certainly great news.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/ro...gets-underway/

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger Impressed By New WRs Moncrief, Johnson As Steelers 2019 Minicamp Gets Underway

Right on

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Re: Roethlisberger Impressed By New WRs Moncrief, Johnson As Steelers 2019 Minicamp Gets Underway

How crazy would it be if Johnson comes right in and has a Juju type rookie season!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With a WR corps of JuJu, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Switzer, Rogers, and the list of PS guys, are we still lacking a true "X" WR? I guess it will be Moncrief and Johnson taking that spot for this season. Depending on how that plays out are we still in the market for a true "X"? I feel confidence in Ben enough to make Moncrief and Johnson as good as they can be this season so I'm not worried about the position. Just throwing it out there to see if there are any thoughts or if everyone is in 'wait and see' mode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    How crazy would it be if Johnson comes right in and has a Juju type rookie season!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Ummm...crazy awesome.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I think the depth we have at wr we are a better team this year then last. Also the depth a qb and rb is the best it's been in awhile. I think the offense is set!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I heard the other day that AB, Bryant, Juju, and Washington's first NFL "touches" (reception or return) were all for TDs. So Johnson has that to try and equal...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I heard the other day that AB, Bryant, Juju, and Washington's first NFL "touches" (reception or return) were all for TDs. So Johnson has that to try and equal...
    Crazy and this is true I think.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Fixed it.

“It will be fun,” said Roethlisberger, when asked about the offense now trying to fill the void left by the trading away of Brown this offseason.

“There are some (ass) holes that have been lost.

We have a lot of guys who desire to fill those voids. It’s not going to be one person. It’s going to be a lot of different people.”
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Fixed it.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    LOL. You know, I am glad we are rid of Brown because he was a cancer. However the problem I have with what happened is that by getting rid of him didn't it cost us some $20 million in cap space?...and now, if I am not mistaken, we are the 2nd most cap-strapped team in the league.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

LOL. You know, I am glad we are rid of Brown because he was a cancer. However the problem I have with what happened is that by getting rid of him didn't it cost us some $20 million in cap space?...and now, if I am not mistaken, we are the 2nd most cap-strapped team in the league.
    Hey the standard is the standard lol

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

$20 million to get rid of a cancer. Seems like there are foundations, charitable organizations, etc that have spent a lot more than that and have not been successful.

The thing is, this was the year to do it as we had the cap space to eat it up. Honestly, it couldn't have come at a better time all things considered. Bell actually did us big favor by not signing as carrying over his cap space from last year will eat up most of the dead money.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    The thing is, this was the year to do it as we had the cap space to eat it up. Honestly, it couldn't have come at a better time all things considered. Bell actually did us big favor by not signing as carrying over his cap space from last year will eat up most of the dead money.
    And next year AB’s $20 million will be off the books so we’ll be in good shape to extend players and even hunt for a quality FA.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Last week during the final OTA practices, Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver Diontae Johnson talked about the limited time he had recently received with the first-team offense and more specifically, with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Johnson, who was the team’s first of two third-round draft picks this year, explained during that media session how Roethlisberger tested him some during those limited reps and how he felt that overall he passed. On Tuesday, Roethlisberger seemingly confirmed that his rookie wide receiver passed those tests.

“The one thing I noticed was he caught every ball I threw to him,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I even threw him some bad balls on purpose, throw some high, behind him, just to see if he would catch them. And he caught every one. It was impressive.”

Roethlisberger describing a rookie wide receiver as being impressive during OTAs is in itself, impressive. And it doesn’t sound like any of what he said was hyperbole, either, and that’s certainly great news.

read more

I like these details as they send light on Johnson's ability to catch the football. I also learned long ago never to put much stock in OTA's. Was Johnson getting open vs Haden, or the 5th-8th string cornerback?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

read more

I like these details as they send light on Johnson's ability to catch the football. I also learned long ago never to put much stock in OTA's. Was Johnson getting open vs Haden, or the 5th-8th string cornerback?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar