Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Breaking news! The window is not closed!

4 teams advanced to their respective conference championship games today! Not one of them had Antonio Brown or LeVeon Bell on their roster! In fact not one of the 12 teams that made the playoffs had either of them on their team!

To make this a Steeler topic now. No our window hasn't closed even if neither of those two are on our roster. We still got a special offensive line, a franchise qb, strong tight ends ( over 80 catches and 1000 yards between them) and Ju Ju and James Conner.

Yes we got to tighten things up defensively and tweak some things on offense. But find me a team without a hole? We lost 3 games in large part due to poor officiating. Luck is part of sports believe it or not. And luck mostly was against us in many circumstances this season. Anyway with nothing else changed we could easily have 3 more wins and been the 2 seed going into this years playoffs.

Sometimes you see that aberration season in the middle of a run. With the Steelers you had a 9-7 barely snuck into the playoff season stuck in between 4 SB wins in 77. More recently you had the 6-10 03 season that netted the Steelers Ben stuck in between 4 seasons of 10+ win seasons.

Outside of the Steelers I can offer you the Colts who put in a sub par 8-6 season in 69 between 4 season where they lost a total of 7 games total. Just that snake bit season where little goes right. That's where they stand now in my opinion. They can turn this around in a heart beat. The window is far from closed.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Cue the naysayers

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I posted in another thread how superb coaching got the 4 teams remaining to the championship game and in that measure, the Steelers are far behind, and I don't see what they did to improve in that department for 2019.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Were any of those teams ranked in the bottom 3 of the NFL in rushing attempts, or have a QB that ranked top 5 in INT's?

Actually, all 4 winning teams this weekend had at least 31 rushing attempts and at least 137 rushing yards gained. Steelers will never even get to a divisional round game as long as the OC chooses to be #1 in passing attempts and #30 or worse in rushing attempts.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

May not be 'closed' but it's shutting.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Window's never closed. However, I have to say this kind of drama is the first time I've experienced this kind of crap on a Steelers team and it's pretty disheartening. Especially the stuff I used to make fun of the Cowboys for in the TO days, is now happening to us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I posted in another thread how superb coaching got the 4 teams remaining to the championship game and in that measure, the Steelers are far behind, and I don't see what they did to improve in that department for 2019.
    Possibly the 4 best coaches in the league right now. Actually pretty positive that they are.

Funny random thought: Maybe Tomlin is the 'coach' version of Roethlisberger?? They both have superbowl appearances early on, and later just become known for being mostly winners who are prone to doing really stupid shit.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Window is being held open by a flimsy stick that could snap at any moment and the window come crashing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This a thousand times. It's so sad and I think 86Ward was saying this in the Divisional Round GDT yesterday. It's sad with all the talent we've had the past 10 years that we don't have any titles. If we had competent coaching we would be looking for title #10 instead of #7.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The window is broken and needs to be fixed before it can be opened or closed

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The window is broken and needs to be fixed before it can be opened or closed

That’s pretty much the window and any team that’s going to go through with Danny Smith and Keith Butler risk their lives on shards of glass...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Window is being held open by a flimsy stick that could snap at any moment and the window come crashing down.
    That flimsy stick already snapped and the window closed. The broken pane of glass is shown in Atlanta Dan's post.

This team isn't winning a Super Bowl in the next 3 years.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    4 teams advanced to their respective conference championship games today! Not one of them had Antonio Brown or LeVeon Bell on their roster! In fact not one of the 12 teams that made the playoffs had either of them on their team!
    I don’t see how this is a rational argument. Non of them have Big Ben either. Does that mean WE can win without him?

I’m not saying you’re necessarily wrong about our window. I just think pointing out that no playoff team has AB tells me about as much as the fact that all the really bad teams don’t have AB either.

We came really close to beating the Saints in New Orleans BECAUSE we had AB on the team. The next week our offense was embarrassingly worse against the Bengals 9th string defense.

Unless our defense becomes a powerhouse next year, I don’t believe our team has much of a chance without AB.

I could certainly be wrong, but I have yet to see a convincing argument for that being the case.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Of course they didn't. We had them and we finished worse than all 12. Now consider the possibility of losing two All-Pros from our 13th-place team, and that will usually make you:

a) better
    b) worse

Sure, we've got a chance just like anybody has a chance, but it is going to be harder the more talent walks out the door.

I do not think it helps that our coaching staff and front office seems to be geared toward producing teams year in and year out that are full of talent but missing that special something that makes you a serious contender.

I have not had the feeling that the Steelers were a powerhouse team, or had more than an outside chance at a championship, in several years, and that does not look to be changing in the right direction.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

There is....... a ton of negatively on this forum. Not just from the AB drama, but from way, way back. Too much for my tastes, especially considering how wildly successful the Steelers actually are. Sure, they aren't on a current super bowl streak like the Pats, nor are they in the playoffs. But they aren't a team where we are sucking up 6-10 seasons every other, or third year from either. I mean the Ravens are considered a good team by just about everyone, not great, but good, and their fans have to deal with this:

Baltimore Ravens

Year Record Finish (Regular / Post Season)
    2018 10-6-0 1st -- AFC North
    2017 9-7-0 2nd -- AFC North
    2016 8-8-0 2nd -- AFC North
    2015 5-11-0 3rd -- AFC North

Bottom line, there are clear issues to be fixed. But the team is not some powerhouse that *should* be winning all the time either. They have some superstars, but a ton of holes too. Those holes cost games. This year Boz's slump alone cost us the playoffs -- the margin is that close.

AB flipping out may wind up being the best thing for us, depending on how it shakes out. The team needs a "come to Jesus" moment to be sure. But we also have a chance to trade AB and maybe wind up with a better, more balanced team overall. I'm not saying that it will actually work that way, but when a guy doesn't show for work, and has been a problem for a long time, you look at ditching him. You have to, or you risk losing control of all your staff. This could send a message to the team. That they are a TEAM. And if we get a good trade, we could be okay. Honestly the Offense was doing a great job spreading the ball around, while the Defense was still regularly making serious, basic mistakes. If I could trade AB for a medical miracle for Shazier, I would. This is a rare, weird, one of a kind chance to really change the team around in a meaningful way that you just don't see normally.

Can that also cut to the "culture" issue? Well again, it is an opportunity. If it isn't taken then that's on the Steelers, and they don't deserve to win. But if I were the ownership my thinking is that the window is not closed -- we still have Ben, a great Oline, and a good core front 7 on Defense. We need another playmaker on the backfield, and a set of high football IQ guys to support him. With some good pickups in the draft we can wind up right back in this thing next year, maybe having dropped our locker room cancer guys and learned the lesson that no player is above the team. Maybe.

And even if the window is closed, a high 1st draft pick comes to the Steelers only once in a couple of decades, so a replacement for Ben could be a serious choice. That would close the window, but would also open another one.

My thinking is that the whole situation sucked, this year was snake-bitten and just massively disappointing, but you know what? If you can deal away the guys who don't want to be on a successful team than Buffalo is that-a-way, and we have a great deal of needs that have been very, very hard to fill, especially considering our spot in the draft. Take the opportunity, get the players, change the locker room, revitalize the franchise. This needs to be approached as a glass half-full situation, imo.

Dissolv

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Of course they didn't. We had them and we finished worse than all 12. Now consider the possibility of losing two All-Pros from our 13th-place team, and that will usually make you:

a) better
    b) worse

Sure, we've got a chance just like anybody has a chance, but it is going to be harder the more talent walks out the door.

A very honest evaluation and extremely rational, well thought out point.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I was talking with a Patriots fan the other day and he said he liked Tomlin. It must be a similar feeling to how Steelers fans in a way, kinda liked Marvin Lewis

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Cue the naysayers
    You called it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    This team isn't winning a Super Bowl in the next 3 years.
    Not with Mike Tomlin at the helm.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I was talking with a Patriots fan the other day and he said he liked Tomlin. It must be a similar feeling to how Steelers fans in a way, kinda liked Marvin Lewis
    It seems the people with the worst opinion of Tomlin all root for the team he coaches.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

a) better
    b) worse

I do not think it helps that our coaching staff and front office seems to be geared toward producing teams year in and year out that are full of talent but missing that special something that makes you a serious contender.

I have not had the feeling that the Steelers were a powerhouse team, or had more than an outside chance at a championship, in several years, and that does not look to be changing in the right direction.
    Two? Is Pouncey leaving also?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Nope. The window isn’t closed.

There is no window at all.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Two? Is Pouncey leaving also?
    I meant Bell, although you can definitely make the case that we already lost him this year. Either way, it's not especially helpful for our outlook next year.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I meant Bell, although you can definitely make the case that we already lost him this year. Either way, it's not especially helpful for our outlook next year.
    I knew you meant Bell . But just reminding you that Bell wasn't part of that 13th place team. That said, what did the #2 seed get us in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I knew you meant Bell . But just reminding you that Bell wasn't part of that 13th place team. That said, what did the #2 seed get us in 2017?
    Not a damn thing. But that's what I was talking about originally when I said we never have more than an outside chance the last several years. There's always something that you can just tell is going to be a fatal flaw.

Like, 10+ years ago, if you would compare our team to someone else, a good one might be the 80s-90s New York Giants. Weren't going to win the Super Bowl every year, but they were solidly built from top to bottom and you knew they were NO JOKE and still a threat in any given season. Whereas now it's more like ... The 90s Oilers, where they had a ton of talent and were great at certain things, but there was always enough wrong with them that you knew they were not going to win a championship unless they were really lucky, and most of the time would not come very close.

No, I'm not saying our team is designed with the same totally one-dimensional mindset as the 90s Oilers, but it's the same thing where you know you can pencil them in for about a 10-6 season and a first-round playoff loss, give or take a game or so , and there are other teams every year that are simply a tier above them who they'll have a hard time beating.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Not a damn thing. But that's what I was talking about originally when I said we never have more than an outside chance the last several years. There's always something that you can just tell is going to be a fatal flaw.

Like, 10+ years ago, if you would compare our team to someone else, a good one might be the 80s-90s New York Giants. Weren't going to win the Super Bowl every year, but they were solidly built from top to bottom and you knew they were NO JOKE and still a threat in any given season. Whereas now it's more like ... The 90s Oilers, where they had a ton of talent and were great at certain things, but there was always enough wrong with them that you knew they were not going to win a championship unless they were really lucky, and most of the time would not come very close.

No, I'm not saying our team is designed with the same totally one-dimensional mindset as the 90s Oilers, but it's the same thing where you know you can pencil them in for about a 10-6 season and a first-round playoff loss, give or take a game or so , and there are other teams every year that are simply a tier above them who they'll have a hard time beating.
    I saw A Football Life the 93 Oilers and I remember one of the players who was interviewed said "We were in so much need of therapy" which reminded me of the current steelers. Interestingly enough, Munchak was one of the top players on that team in that era as well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Reading the reactions in this thread, it appears that many of you feel that that the window has closed.

That’s okay... a door will open.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This season held so much promise. I get the disappointment, I really do. But you guys and gals need to come down off the ledge. It's so bad to come on here anymore. If somebody starts a draft thread(for example), you guys fill it up with shit like 'who cares, nobody can coach him', or 'we just need too many players. Our players are all selfish me me drama queens' and other such crap. I'm just so tire of all the constant poor mouthing and incessant whining from this board. You people need to grow up, grow a pair, and get some hairs on your collective asses. OR find another forum. You are ruining this one.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This season held so much promise. I get the disappointment, I really do. But you guys and gals need to come down off the ledge. It's so bad to come on here anymore. If somebody starts a draft thread(for example), you guys fill it up with shit like 'who cares, nobody can coach him', or 'we just need too many players. Our players are all selfish me me drama queens' and other such crap. I'm just so tire of all the constant poor mouthing and incessant whining from this board. You people need to grow up, grow a pair, and get some hairs on your collective asses. OR find another forum. You are ruining this one.
    Ignore the rest just read what Teegre has to say and let the chips fall where they may.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Reading the reactions in this thread, it appears that many of you feel that that the window has closed.

That’s okay... a door will open.
    I hope the door hits a few coaches on the arse when it closes next year.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

The negativity is oppressive.

Nobody is pleased with how things played out this year, but I just wish that people would try to see that positive things can happen very quickly in the NFL. It only takes a player or two to completely turn things around.

Try to keep the faith. Maybe things will settle down if AB gets traded and they pick up a big-time player or a couple high draft picks and we can concentrate on the draft.....but I doubt it.