Thread: As a Steelers fans, jealousy ran deep watching the Chargers’ secondary

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

As a Steelers fans, jealousy ran deep watching the Chargers’ secondary

Watching the Chargers use their deep secondary and adopt an ultra-specific game-plan to defeat the Ravens has me jealous about the dearth of talent in Pittsburgh’s secondary

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ike-tomlin-nfl

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: As a Steelers fans, jealousy ran deep watching the Chargers’ secondary

not my fault I drove the bus yelling and screaming all the way that we needed to draft Desmond King .... but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo they let him get by them 3 times ...

Granted King is not the " most heralded member" of the Charger secondary but he is an important one none the less and has put up some numbers for them in the secondary as well as special teams as a return man ( as the steelers seen first hand )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We gotta find more polished recruits. Unless we end up hiring the Munchak of DB coaches, no more 'raw, but needs coaching' draft picks.

Sensabaugh is proof we can have a good enough defense with players who aren't the most athletic but fundamentally sound

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    We gotta find more polished recruits. Unless we end up hiring the Munchak of DB coaches, no more 'raw, but needs coaching' draft picks.

Sensabaugh is proof we can have a good enough defense with players who aren't the most athletic but fundamentally sound
    That's BS you know we have to bow at the Al Davis tomb and ask for guidance on this fastest most athletic draft pick, don't even care if he ever played football.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I basically said the same thing in another thread here. Post #60 : http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post676537

The defense the Chargers used against the Ravens was a variation of what we heard last offseason that the Steelers may be using when they picked up a handful of safeties in free agency and the draft. We never saw any of that and, in fact, they chose to roll out LB's to cover WR's rather than use a combination of versatile defensive backs in a scheme devised to do exactly what the Chargers coaches did in the Ravens game.

The defensive schemes they used this year did not inspire my confidence in their ability to use innovation. Frankly, we don't even know what some of these young players can do because they never play them.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    not my fault I drove the bus yelling and screaming all the way that we needed to draft Desmond King .... but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo they let him get by them 3 times ...

Granted King is not the " most heralded member" of the Charger secondary but he is an important one none the less and has put up some numbers for them in the secondary as well as special teams as a return man ( as the steelers seen first hand )
    King over Watt? No

King over JuJu? No

King over Conner? No

King over Dobbs? Hmmm... if Dobbs becomes a starter, then “No”.

King over Sutton? Probably, but since Sutton was one of my favorite DBs in that draft (King being in my top five, also), I loved the pick.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    King over Watt? No

King over JuJu? No

King over Conner? No

King over Dobbs? Hmmm... if Dobbs becomes a starter, then “No”.

King over Sutton? Probably, but since Sutton was one of my favorite DBs in that draft (King being in my top five, also), I loved the pick.
    since King didn't go until round 5 -151 overall ( baffled me then and still baffles me now )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    King over Dobbs?
    yes

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    since King didn't go until round 5 -151 overall ( baffled me then and still baffles me now )
    Yep.

King would have been a R1 pick the year before, but then he stayed in school... and slipped to R5.