Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So early word is that the Steelers and the league will be fighting that since Bell didn’t sign nor play this season, that it’s not an accrued season and the Steelers should be able to tag him again...lol.

So there’s that option, the third tag option, the franchise tag option, let him just go and get the third round pick or sign him to one of the tags and trade. Quite a few options...the only thing we know is he’s not a 2019 free agent...lol.

I think the "accrued season" definition only applies to whether you are a restricted (3 or less seasons) or unrestricted free agent (4 or more seasons) when your contract expires. Bell would be a UFA anyway.

What they are probably fighting over is whether being franchise tagged but not signing it counts as the second franchise tag or not, which affects their ability to do it again next year.

I also learned today that the tranny tag does not mean you get zero compensation if the free agent signs with someone else; you get comp picks like any other free agent. You just don't get a guaranteed pick from the tag itself. So there's really no reason not to do it and keep the right to match offers, unless we are really just done with the guy, which is what I would think.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I think the "accrued season" definition only applies to whether you are a restricted (3 or less seasons) or unrestricted free agent (4 or more seasons) when your contract expires. Bell would be a UFA anyway.

What they are probably fighting over is whether being franchise tagged but not signing it counts as the second franchise tag or not, which affects their ability to do it again next year.

I also learned today that the tranny tag does not mean you get zero compensation if the free agent signs with someone else; you get comp picks like any other free agent. You just don't get a guaranteed pick from the tag itself. So there's really no reason not to do it and keep the right to match offers, unless we are really just done with the guy, which is what I would think.
    Yes. Accrued was a poor choice of words. Basically they would go to arbitration over whether the season counts at all.

From the sounds of it, they aren’t going to let him go without some sort of effort to get maximum compensation and rightfully so. They’ll wind up getting something no matter what according to the clowns on NFL Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yes. Accrued was a poor choice of words. Basically they would go to arbitration over whether the season counts at all.

From the sounds of it, they aren’t going to let him go without some sort of effort to get maximum compensation and rightfully so. They’ll wind up getting something no matter what according to the clowns on NFL Radio.
    To be honest, at this point unless they think they're going to get a first and a third in a trade offer, there's not a whole lot of point in another tag; just tying up a huge amount of cap space again for a guy who may or may not show, and probably hates your guts. Maybe it could be good leverage to get him to do a sign-and-trade, I guess. I'd be shocked if we signed him to a long-term deal given everything else that's happened in the meantime, and equally shocked if we used another tag except maybe the tranny, which isn't affected by this.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Junior Member Array title="DShell31 is an unknown quantity at this point">

What get's me is Bell accually thinks he has a leg up on the steelers. You think colbert is happy the way this has gone down. Steelers front office don't like being make look stupid. They will franchise him again and do a sign and trade or he will sit out another year. He's my logic. We take the 14.5 mil we saved this year add another 12.4 mil or so to place it on him. Heck we were expecting that number to be 30 mil first 2 years anyway so we are not out anything. And we can now decide where he gets to play. NO Baltimore. Bell doesn't have the leverage. His agent has fed him some bad advise.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think the colts or the texans will be the next team for Bell.
    Ravens. You just know it.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DShell31 View Post
    What get's me is Bell accually thinks he has a leg up on the steelers. You think colbert is happy the way this has gone down. Steelers front office don't like being make look stupid. They will franchise him again and do a sign and trade or he will sit out another year. He's my logic. We take the 14.5 mil we saved this year add another 12.4 mil or so to place it on him. Heck we were expecting that number to be 30 mil first 2 years anyway so we are not out anything. And we can now decide where he gets to play. NO Baltimore. Bell doesn't have the leverage. His agent has fed him some bad advise.
    Not going to happen, he's done here.

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

thank god it is over...give conner and hilton alittle extra

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Bell doesn't have the leverage. His agent has fed him some bad advise.
    If the ESPN article linked earlier today is to be believed, the agent lost control of this process some time ago. Hard to believe it was agent who recommended Bell should report after the Steelers went 1-2-1 since Bell would be the “missing piece” then recommended no let’s wait until after the trade deadline since that will increase Bell’s leverage in 2019.

It was Bell that drove the process off the cliff - the agent was like a media rep for a politician or celebrity who needs to spin whatever crazy act the client commits

Good times ahead next year when Bell fires Bakari after the anticipated big $$$ offers do not come rolling in

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Somebody's got to be dumb enough to pay his outrageous asking price. I suspect it'll be a bottom- feeder (read: desperate) team. That'll be fun to watch.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Let him play for the Ravens if that's the case. Their o- line is weak. Both of them will find out the hard way that football is a *team* sport. There is no Lebron James in football.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

$14.5M back into the Steelers wallet. It’s gotta kinda feel good...lol.

Absolutely! It's not everyday you replace a $15,000,000 diva with a $500,000 long term solution
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Somebody's got to be dumb enough to pay his outrageous asking price. I suspect it'll be a bottom- feeder (read: desperate) team. That'll be fun to watch.
    Even more fun that those bottom feeder team usually have bad O-Lines and bad QBs so it will be hard for Bell to succeed.

Just look at Dallas, they made DeMarco Murray look like an All-Pro with their O-Line. As soon as Murray left things went south very fast.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We can't tag him unless we're willing to spend $25M. The Steelers won't do that, although Bell would jump to play at that price even for a year. I think if we transition tag him too, we don't get a comp pick if he's signed away (almost definitely will).

It's like a bad marriage, sometimes best for both parties just to walk away and move on.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is always a Miami/Wallace team out there.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I said it before and will say it again, paying RBs ridiculous money isn't a formula that wins super bowls. How many championships did Adrian Peterson or Larry Johnson win?

Certainly less than Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I read that the Jets are the odds on favorite to sign him, followed by the Raiders and the Eagles.

He’ll find a home in one of those places... hopefully the Jets. Bad O-line and those fans will HATE him if he underperforms.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I read that the Jets are the odds on favorite to sign him, followed by the Raiders and the Eagles.

He’ll find a home in one of those places... hopefully the Jets. Bad O-line and those fans will HATE him if he underperforms.
    NY fans are brutal too, he had better blow it up there or he's gonna be sent crying lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I said it before and will say it again, paying RBs ridiculous money isn't a formula that wins super bowls. How many championships did Adrian Peterson or Larry Johnson win?
    Unless you're a great talent all-time, it can be a good idea, but Bell is not.

Even with DeAngelo Williams in his last legs in 2015, our offense was very successful, so yes Bell had big stats with us, but that does not mean that his impact was incredible,unless our backup RB was not a NFL caliber....

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

Having a money pit like Bell on the roster might delay their rebuilding efforts for years, but I could see them trying it. There's a reason why consistently bad teams are consistently bad.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    We can't tag him unless we're willing to spend $25M.

that is unfounded and yet to be determined ...

it will be determined prior to time to tag by the league and its lawyers ...

I believe it will end up being that he can be tagged at this years number again in 2019 and he will have to decide to sign it or retire
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

that is unfounded and yet to be determined ...

it will be determined prior to time to tag by the league and its lawyers

I believe it will end up being that he can be tagged at this years number again in 2019 and he will have to decide to sign it or retire
    I did not see it on twitter .... Where did you see that?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar