Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring on the Jagoffs

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Bring on the Jagoffs

I know we don't play well vs them historically, but we have 10 days of rest/preparation for these guys and some unfinished business.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Re: Bring on the Jagoffs

We have unfinished business with them alright. We need to take them down! LET'S GO!

Member Array title="chenzzo is an unknown quantity at this point"> chenzzo's Avatar

The family and I are going to be at this game. It will be our first Steelers game! Hoping for a Panther's style beat down.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This game will be tough. It’s at their place and the Jags will be better with Fournette 2 games back and Bouye is supposed to return.

I have this as a big letdown game...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Our run defense has been great in the last couple week...If we stop Fournette and our defense put a lot of pressure on Bortles, good thing will come ... If that's the case, it's going to be our offense to do the rest.

I would be very surprised that the steelers have a letdown for this game with what happened against the Jaguars last year.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I would say letdown normally, but we will have the extra rest of a long week, and we will be ready. I really don’t see much trouble until the Pats and Saints games honestly. Chargers are doing well, but that is at home and I just don’t think they are as good as everyone says they are (every year is their year). It would be great to go 6-1 the rest of the way (with the lone loss to the Saints as a letdown to beating the Pats), however I would be more than happy with 4-3 honestly. That wins the AFCN.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers owe them one, but it will be a challenge. Jacksonville sucks, but they are one of those teams where everything seems to bounce their way against the Steelers.

Ben and AB torched their overrated secondary, but the Defense sucked dick. No Mike Mitchell or Artie Burns should help with that. Fournette is their bread and butter. The D has to stop him.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Worried about the possible letdown, but with so much unfinished business with the Jags and the extra rest might be able to avoid it.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Worried about the possible letdown, but with so much unfinished business with the Jags and the extra rest might be able to avoid it.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking. But I expect the jags to play us tough since they don't like us either. What we have going for us is the longer rest, and the team seems to be healthy going into this game.

We'll see what happens, the next 2 games worry me as possible letdown games because of our track record at JAX and DEN. But for the reason above, I have faith that we could win this. However, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were a loss. The jags had a bad stretch but by no means are they a team doing bad because of a lack of talent. They've been underachieving but still very dangerous.

We will see this weekend against the colts if the jaguars are going to be in the playoffs race or if they will give up.If they win, they will always have a chance, otherwise their season will be almost over.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Jags still have a ton of Defensive talent, but the important factor will be to stop the run and put the game on Bortles again. I think this time Bostic > Spence at ILB, but honestly the issue last time was the Jags dominated the Steelers on the Offensive and Defensive Line O Scrimmage.

I'm feeling better that the Steelers O line should step up better than previous meetings, but the Steelers D Line needs to be better on the whole, in order for this to be a W.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I think that the game @Denver is even more of a trap game than this one. The Jags really are bad, especially on offense, currently. But the Broncos tend to keep hanging around (which they also did against KC and the Rams) and then lose.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I have a bad feeling about this game......

NOT!

#RevengeSunday

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    I think that the game @Denver is even more of a trap game than this one. The Jags really are bad, especially on offense, currently. But the Broncos tend to keep hanging around (which they also did against KC and the Rams) and then lose.
    Yes the Broncos are not as bad as their record says. They could easily be 4-4, and 3 of their losses were against the two top teams which, they played tough all 3 times (chiefs x2, rams). Not to mention playing at mile high is never an easy out.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Would love to get revenge on those WWE wannabe shit talkers and make them eat their words

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I am just as scared as everyone else about the Steelers being the same old Steelers: great one week, then horrible against lesser talent.

That’s always a distinct possibility.

But maybe, just maybe, we are seeing something different this year. They haven’t been up and down like the usual pattern. Since their last loss, this team has gotten steadily BETTER every week; on the road and at home.

I’m not saying the Steelers will ever score 50 points again. But I’m saying there is no team we can’t potentially out score. And on any given Sunday, our defense has the potential to slow down ANY offense just enough to allow the offense to win it.

The Steelers will probably not run the table from here, but barring injuries to us, there is no team that we can’t beat.

This is a team with calm confidence and only getting better EVERY SINGLE WEEK. I don’t see the Steelers being afraid to play ANYONE. But I do see OTHER teams looking at their schedule and wincing a bit at the notion of facing the Steelers.

At this point in the season I don’t see ANY d line that will dominate our o line. And I don’t see any oline out there that will DEFINITELY dominate our defense in the trenches.

Cam and Tuitt are THAT good. They can disrupt ANY Oline. And our linebackers ( especially Watt) can take advantage of that. Even Bud is getting better and more confident. And remember, physically Bud has a ceiling that is through the roof (wording intentional). If he gets better every week, come playoffs he could be an all pro.

Bostic and Williams are good enough. We now STOP THE RUN far better than anyone around here expected. Who was the last RB to put up 100 on us? Aren’t we like #1 against the run, or close to it.

The only one we all wanted improvement from that failed to deliver is Burns. CB is such strange position. Burns is exactly like Bud Dupree, except for the “improving” part. They both have high ceilings physically. But maybe what Bud has that Burns doesn’t get (simply because of the nature of their positions) is a surrounding cast of teammates that help him do his job. As a corner, Burns just has to get it done on his own.

Also Bud has swagger. He isn’t lacking in confidence the way Burns is.

But I’m really impressed with our coaching staff for compensating with the pieces they have (but if we only had gotten Patrick Peterson we’d possibly be the best team in the NFL EVERY week).

I realize that after last night’s performance, it’s not fair to expect them to TOP it every week. There will be off games here and there. Ben will not be perfect every week, but we now see that he CAN be. He’s genuinely better than he ever was. We used to always think of Ben as a physical freak of nature and miracle worker under pressure. But he is SO MUCH more than that. He is SMART. VERY smart. He sees everything and reads defenses now at a near Brady level. No he’ll never quite be at Brady/P. Manning level, but I have to say, he is now in their zip code.

I’m just saying, With our defense getting incrementally better every week, or at least never regressing from here... what team in the NFL is OBJECTIVELY that much better than us that we can’t beat?

I’m going with optimism here. The only giant variable is player health. If Bell comes back and gets back into playing shape, the only single player we DEFINITELY can’t win without is Ben.

But there is no dominant defense in the AFC that can stop us from out scoring them. I honestly think we are a more complete team than the Chiefs or the Patriots.

Am I hitting the cool aide too hard?

I don't think you're hitting the kool aid too hard. A little bit, but not too hard

This team has a different feel than the past, it feels like they're legitimately gelling, and it's no longer just a collection of talented players just winning off their talent.

Put it this way, in the 5-win streak we had, it's been a common trend people have been saying 'strong team win', or something along those lines. The wins vs ATL, CIN, BAL, and CAR have all been strong team wins in all phases. Offense, Defense looked consistently good. They're stacking these kind of wins in convincing fashion, whereas in the years past it's been one side of the ball carrying the team to victory. They're playing complete games with consistency and that's why I think this year's Steeler team looks better than I think they have in a long time. I hope they can stay on this path because they established themselves as a legitimate contender. They did after all, in this 5-win streak, take down 4 teams that have a legitimate playoff shot (Baltimore at 4-5 I don't think is finished yet, especially if they can split with the Bengals)

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I agree with Fire, this streak and team have played as a real team. It reminds me of the team after the Miami hurricane experience, they were different, played together for each other. It feels the same this year. To give you an idea of what I am talking about, after my tours in Iraq, my team is close, we know we have each other’s backs and while over there we knew the guy beside each of us was going to do his job, as it wasn’t just his life on the line. This group this year just “feels” like they are past the BS and are having fun playing together and for each other.

It's true that it's a long time we did not have a streak with a great offense and good defense at the same time.The last time was maybe the final 8 games of our super bowl season in 2005.

In the last 5 games, the steelers scored 35 PPG and allowed 18 PPG....Last year we had 13-3, but in the first 9 games, it was mostly because of our defense and after the steelers were 6-1 mostly because of our offense ..... Our streak at the moment, it's a team effort and hopefully it will continue.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah we owe the jags a beat down and, I still think most of the Steeler players had this game circled along with this the cheats it's payback time!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Steelers are going to drop at least 35 points on the Jags. Hopefully the D holds them to 17. Game should be over by the end of the 3rd Q and then let the bench close it.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

The Jags will be without their starting center. That’s a huge blow for them. Cam and Tuitt will wreak havoc this time and destroy the pocket all game. Bortles will be under constant pressure and he’ll throw at least one pick.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It's true that it's a long time we did not have a streak with a great offense and good defense at the same time.The last time was maybe the final 8 games of our super bowl season in 2005.

In the last 5 games, the steelers scored 35 PPG and allowed 18 PPG....Last year we had 13-3, but in the first 9 games, it was mostly because of our defense and after the steelers were 6-1 mostly because of our offense ..... Our streak at the moment, it's a team effort and hopefully it will continue.
    The 2008 team was a pretty well balanced team.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Steelers are going to drop at least 35 points on the Jags. Hopefully the D holds them to 17. Game should be over by the end of the 3rd Q and then let the bench close it.
    The Steelers offense put 42 on them... when the Jaguars defense was in top form. Since then, our offense has improved, and their defense has been without Bouye (although, he should return).

As long as we don’t spot them 14 points (our offense isn’t the turnover machine it was last year), we should be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    The Jags will be without their starting center. That’s a huge blow for them. Cam and Tuitt will wreak havoc this time and destroy the pocket all game. Bortles will be under constant pressure and he’ll throw at least one pick.
    Hargrave had like 6 run stuffs (or, was it 8?) against the Panthers. Ergo, I expect Fournette to be “forced” to run outside a LOT... and, if Bostic can stop him, we should be fine.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Any fear of the Steelers dropping this game to the Jags is a fear of the Steelers not playing to their potential. The Jags are objectively not a good team this year.
    If the Steelers aren't a consistent, dominant team this year, then there's nothing to fear. They can't win the SB so no reason to get worked up. Can't win, won't prevail in the playoffs, no reason to worry about our chances.
    But if you believe that the Steelers can pull it off this year, then you believe that the Steelers can defeat the Jags.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Steelers offense put 42 on them... when the Jaguars defense was in top form. Since then, our offense has improved, and their defense has been without Bouye (although, he should return).

As long as we don’t spot them 14 points (our offense isn’t the turnover machine it was last year), we should be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Hargrave had like 6 run stuffs (or, was it 8?) against the Panthers. Ergo, I expect Fournette to be “forced” to run outside a LOT... and, if Bostic can stop him, we should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Any fear of the Steelers dropping this game to the Jags is a fear of the Steelers not playing to their potential. The Jags are objectively not a good team this year.
    If the Steelers aren't a consistent, dominant team this year, then there's nothing to fear. They can't win the SB so no reason to get worked up.
    I would agree. With injuries along the offensive line and regression on defense overall, the Jaguars shouldn't be able to dominate the line of scrimmage. FWIW, I always feel like the Steelers loses to "inferior" teams or whatever over the past few seasons have been when they get beat in the trenches. That hasn't been happening this year. Even KC didn't dominate them upfront.

If the Steelers win the battles at the line of scrimmage, they should be able to dictate game flow to their advantage on either side. I still think it will be an ugly game all the way around and Fournette coming screaming around the edge terrifies me, but they likely squeak this one out.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I would agree. With injuries along the offensive line and regression on defense overall, the Jaguars shouldn't be able to dominate the line of scrimmage. FWIW, I always feel like the Steelers loses to "inferior" teams or whatever over the past few seasons have been when they get beat in the trenches. That hasn't been happening this year. Even KC didn't dominate them upfront.

If the Steelers win the battles at the line of scrimmage, they should be able to dictate game flow to their advantage on either side. I still think it will be an ugly game all the way around and Fournette coming screaming around the edge terrifies me, but they likely squeak this one out.
    Fournette having to go outside is a good thing. He’s much better straight ahead.

And, football is almost always won & lost by the big uglies.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Fournette having to go outside is a good thing. He’s much better straight ahead.

And, football is almost always won & lost by the big uglies.
    True, on all counts. Fournette on the outside is fine as long as Bostic, VW, and Burnett/Edmunds can flow to the play and meet him before he is 8+yards downfield under a head of steam! The failure to do that is one of the main reasons that they lost the playoff game. The inability of the LBs to deal with Fournette outside the guards and tackles meant the Steelers gambled too much with walking DBs up to the line and then got beat over the top in addition to getting gashed on the ground.

It will be a good test of how well the revamped defensive plan post-Shazier is going in terms of defending a dedicated running team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    True, on all counts. Fournette on the outside is fine as long as Bostic, VW, and Burnett/Edmunds can flow to the play and meet him before he is 8+yards downfield under a head of steam! The failure to do that is one of the main reasons that they lost the playoff game. The inability of the LBs to deal with Fournette outside the guards and tackles meant the Steelers gambled too much with walking DBs up to the line and then got beat over the top in addition to getting gashed on the ground.

It will be a good test of how well the revamped defensive plan post-Shazier is going in terms of defending a dedicated running team.
    Yep. Making Fournette run 20 yards laterally, in order to gain just 3 yards is a win. He will tire out. What we do not want is him running straight ahead over & over & over again. Nor, do we want him running outside and gaining 5+ yards.