Thread: The Steelers 2017 draft class is shaping up as one of Kevin Colbert's best

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

The Steelers 2017 draft class is shaping up as one of Kevin Colbert's best

NFL scouts will tell you it takes from 3-5 years to truly judge a draft class. Some of Kevin Colbert’s best came early in his tenure as general manager, and they don’t include the years he selected future Hall of Famers Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu. While they played a huge role in the Steelers winning Super Bowls in 2005 and 2008, the depth of their classes weren’t great.

Getting a number of players that become starters and contribute in the same draft class is a better indicator of its overall success. Colbert’s 2002 class, for example, produced five players — Kendall Simmons, Antwaan Randle El, Chris Hope, Larry Foote and Brett Keisel — who were either starters or major contributors on Super Bowl teams.

Other Colbert classes have produced two or three stars. The 2007 class had Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. The 2010 class included Maurkice Pouncey and Antonio Brown. The 2014 class had Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt and Martavis Bryant.

Someday soon, the 2017 draft class might be in the conversation as one of Colbert’s biggest successes.

(continued)

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201811060117
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: The Steelers 2017 draft class is shaping up as one of Kevin Colbert's best

First of all, 2003 had Troy AND Ike Taylor.

Regardless, the debate for a decade has been, Which is a better draft class: “one HOFer” vs. “five pretty good players”? Specifically, Steelers fans have been debating 2003 vs. 2002.

Some aver that the 2002 draft class gave us so many contributors that that draft class was the reason that we won Super Bowl XL. Others vehemently claim that drafting Troy was the #1 reason that we won our fifth Lombardi. It is a very interesting debate, with both sides having valid points.

NOTE: Big Ben in 2004 goes without saying, because a franchise QB trumps all other draft picks (in terms of impact). Without him, 2002 & 2003 would have been wasted.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

2010 was special also.

Pouncey: who is still one of the best centers in the game even with the countless lower body procedures.
    AB: Do I have to explain? future hall of famer.

Also Emmanuel Sanders was apart of that class also.

2011 brought Heyward and Gilbert.

*Something something* 'Fire Colbert'!!!!!
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I really like this draft class.

Three position players that are absolute studs: Watt, JuJu, and James Conner

A handful of really talented players with very real upside: Sutton, Allen, and Adams

A QB in Dobbs that is already the #2, and has shown he has grown and improved immensely in year two....plus demonstrates a set of brass ones to be able to walk into the most hostile environment imaginable for his first regular season action in an NFL game ever....and makes a huge play with his arm from his own end zone to extend a drive until Ben could come back in the game.

What's not to like about the 2017 draft class? And...it's probably going to get better over the next few years.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    2010 was special also.

Pouncey: who is still one of the best centers in the game even with the countless lower body procedures.
    AB: Do I have to explain? future hall of famer.

Also Emmanuel Sanders was apart of that class also.

2011 brought Heyward and Gilbert.

*Something something* 'Fire Colbert'!!!!!
    I wish we could have kept both AB and Sanders. Imagine how good this WR corps would be with Sanders still here lol. AB/Sanders/Juju/McDonald/Conner that's a good collection of skill players!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I really like this draft class.

Three position players that are absolute studs: Watt, JuJu, and James Conner

A handful of really talented players with very real upside: Sutton, Allen, and Adams

A QB in Dobbs that is already the #2, and has shown he has grown and improved immensely in year two....plus demonstrates a set of brass ones to be able to walk into the most hostile environment imaginable for his first regular season action in an NFL game ever....and makes a huge play with his arm from his own end zone to extend a drive until Ben could come back in the game.

What's not to like about the 2017 draft class? And...it's probably going to get better over the next few years.
    It's early, but this looks like an INCREDIBLE class to me so far.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I wish we could have kept both AB and Sanders. Imagine how good this WR corps would be with Sanders still here lol. AB/Sanders/Juju/McDonald/Conner that's a good collection of skill players!
    Besides McDonald who was acquired via trade this team abilty to draft offensive talent is still amazing to me.

Sorta OT: I was thinking the other day about how this team could be set up nicely with Dobbs and Rudolph whenever Ben decides to retire then I thought why in the hell would he want to retire anytime soon? with Munchak ability to develop offensive linemen and the draft skills of landing good WR's he can play till he's 40.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

I did a quick search and it looks like the pundits quick read on our 2017 draft was A- to C-.

Mel Kiper gave the Steelers a B+ and best in the AFC North.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-browns-ravens

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Seahawks went to two Super Bowls (winning one) based on three straight “home run” drafts: 2010, 2011, 2012. That roster was young, talented, and cheap. Once the players got off of their rookie contracts, it became more difficult to keep that unit together...

The Steelers 2016 draft class was pretty good, and the 2017 draft class looks like a record-beater... and, there is potential in the 2018 draft class. Even if Ben retires, we have the skeleton for a solid (cheap) run during the next three seasons.

If we can get a SPLASH defensive player in the 2019 off-season (draft or free agency), we could be set for a period much like the aforementioned Seahawks championship run.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Seahawks went to two Super Bowls (winning one) based on three straight “home run” drafts: 2010, 2011, 2012. That roster was young, talented, and cheap. Once the players got off of their rookie contracts, it became more difficult to keep that unit together...

The Steelers 2016 draft class was pretty good, and the 2017 draft class looks like a record-beater... and, there is potential in the 2018 draft class. Even if Ben retires, we have the skeleton for a solid (cheap) run during the next three seasons.

If we can get a SPLASH defensive player in the 2019 off-season (draft or free agency), we could be set for a period much like the aforementioned Seahawks championship run.
    The reason why the seahawks have not been the same team in recent years is that they have not been very good in the draft after their great success in the draft in the early Pete Carroll era.

The packers have only one season of 11 or more wins since 2013, because their draft was for the most part a disaster.

The steelers had two seasons of 8-8 in 2012 and 2013 and one of the big reasons was their 2008 and 2009 draft.So this is just to say that it's very important to be good in the drafts, otherwise you can be in trouble quickly, even with a franchise QB.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The reason why the seahawks have not been the same team in recent years is that they have not been very good in the draft after their great success in the draft in the early Pete Carroll era.

The packers have only one season of 11 or more wins since 2013, because their draft was for the most part a disaster.

The steelers had two seasons of 8-8 in 2012 and 2013 and one of the big reasons was their 2008 and 2009 draft.So this is just to say that it's very important to be good in the drafts, otherwise you can be in trouble quickly, even with a franchise QB.
    Didn't we also have some high paying contracts to players on the Super Bowl team that left us cash strapped?

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Didn't we also have some high paying contracts to players on the Super Bowl team that left us cash strapped?
    That does not help, but when you very good draft, you have many good players in their rookie contract and it helps a lot when this is the case.

The Steelers 2016 draft class was pretty good, and the 2017 draft class looks like a record-beater... and, there is potential in the 2018 draft class.

Even if Ben retires, we have the skeleton for a solid (cheap) run during the next three seasons.

Great point.

I also think it was very smart for the Steelers to keep both Dobbs and Rudolph, who both have potential to be quality starting quarterbacks when Ben retires.

A lot of the Steelers draft moves that seemed impractical at the time are ending up to have been good long term decisions.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Russell Wilson was a big part of that...along with that defense. With Ben gone, can Dobbs or Rudolph be a top level QB? If so...thing would be going in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If Dobbs becomes a starting caliber QB, that 2017 was a grand slam of a draft.

Already would call him a successful pick if in his 2nd year he replaced the #2 QB.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

But I thought Colbert only knew how to sign former Lions players????

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I know it’s only been a year, but looking at every player drafted behind us, could we have done better in the first two rounds?

I doubt you will convince me that we could have done better than JuJu in the 2nd.

But... I’m sure that someone out there will point out how Cam Sutton has struggled.

(NOTE: I’m still holding out hopes that Sutton becomes a starter.)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

But... I’m sure that someone out there will point out how Cam Sutton has struggled.

(NOTE: I’m still holding out hopes that Sutton becomes a starter.)

I'm hoping Sutton has to beat out Jalen Ramsey next year.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers went 8-8 those years because the Defense got old and the old guard was retired, and even then, they were a KC missed field goal away from making the playoffs in 2013. That 2013 team had massive heart that carried over into the 2014-Present run.

Yes... please!!!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

That would be nice.

Aside from the obvious reasons, I’d also like to hear what he has to say about Bortles as a QB. I wonder if he’d have any trouble being candid about that.

Plus the idea of AB going against Ramsey in practice every day, the two of them making each other even better, is kind of a fun thought.

This draft class has the potential to become our best draft class since 1974!

This draft class has the potential to become our best draft class since 1974!
    Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, Webster

Watt, JuJu, Conner... looking great so far.

That is four HOFers versus three extremely good, young players. So far, 1974 has the advantage (in sheer numbers).

I‘m a fan of Sutton, and if he can become a starter, it miiiight get close to 1974. All of that said, if Dobbs becomes a rock-solid starter for us, then that alone puts 2017 in the running.

SUMMATION:
    Yep. Probably the best since 1974, and the first draft class that could get anywhere near “unseating” the 1974 draft (we will have to check back in ten years).