Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench Mendenhall now!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Bench Mendenhall now!

The reason we're given this game away is because of Bruce Arians's insistence to force feed Rashard Mendenhall the ball! I know the blocking isn't good, but Mendenall isn't helping it any either. Anyway unless we can mount some form of running game we're dead in the water not only tonight, but for the season as a whole. Redman gets more yards after contact and is seeing the holes better,get him in the game and use his ass, before it's too damn late Bruce!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Re: Bench Mendenhall now!

Lets not go after players with a pitchfork yet.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Lets not go after players with a pitchfork yet.
    3 games in and Mendenhall has about 6 good carries, in how many attempts?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

It all starts with the O line....
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    It all starts with the O line....
    Exactly. The run blocking sucks. The backs are getting hit at the line or in the backfield.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Your right, he hasn't done much, but you can't go after him like that. What are you going to do if he runs for over one hundred yards in the second half, what are you going to say then?

Mendy has 40 carries for 120 yards, and 1 td for the season now. 3 yards a carry.

Redman 13 carries 61 yards, 1 td, 4.7 yard per carry.

Tell me how can giving Ike a chance hurt any thing at this point?

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

While I'm not ready to bench him I definitley see your point zu. He is tip toeing WAY to much. The line isn't helping matters either so that is why I'm not ready to write Mendy off right now. But he certainly seems timid and needs to run downhill more then he has been so far.

I do like the idea of handing it to Redman more too. At least more then ZERO!
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Your right, he hasn't done much, but you can't go after him like that. What are you going to do if he runs for over one hundred yards in the second half, what are you going to say then?

Thanks for doing your job. Finally!

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

La de da....

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Eh, this OL is weak. Kemo has been nagged by injury. Legursky is a backup. Gilbert is a rookie, Pouncey is the only real OL out there.

Oh, Jonathan Scott sucks donkey balls.

But, Redman should be brought in once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Thanks for doing your job. Finally!
    That's actually a good one. We just need to be more patient.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Eh, this OL is weak. Kemo has been nagged by injury. Legursky is a backup. Gilbert is a rookie, Pouncey is the only real OL out there.

Oh, Jonathan Scott sucks donkey balls.

But, Redman should be brought in once in a while.
    Bench Kemo too, we were better last week with foster there.

Finally got a hole and actually EXPLODED threw it, almost lost it though. But anyway much better for both line and mendy there

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

It's not Mendenhall's fault. The offensive line sucks. Period.

So nobody else thinks he dances around a bit too much instead of putting his nose down and moving north and south? That would at least get us something positive...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    It's not Mendenhall's fault. The offensive line sucks. Period.
    This. The only back who could maybe do anything behind this mess is Barry Sanders circa 1993.

1st and 10, Colts 24, Mendenhall should have taken the ball to the hole where a lone safety waited, instead he spins out and loses a yard. Instead of 2nd and 7 or 8, 2nd and 11. He stinks, one run doesn't change 3 games of worthlessness.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I"ll agree he dances too much. He needs to learn to run without (over) thinking.

Jonathan Scott still sucks.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

1st and 10, Colts 24, Mendenhall should have taken the ball to the hole where a lone safety waited, instead he spins out and loses a yard. Instead of 2nd and 7 or 8, 2nd and 11. He stinks, one run doesn't change 3 games of worthlessness.
    Please tell me one o'lineman on this team, other than Pouncey, that could start for any other team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I"ll agree he dances too much. He needs to learn to run without (over) thinking.

Jonathan Scott still sucks.
    Thats basically all I'm saying. no doubt this line needs work BIG TIME...but I do think a small amount can be put on mendy...very small but it exists

Anyone else notice how much better we looked with Mendy on the bench that last series? I know it's a different situation, but if you couldn't see Moore ran with better vision and determination on his few carries than 34 did at any point this game than you're just not paying attention.

Senior Member Array title="steelerdiva will become famous soon enough"> steelerdiva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    So nobody else thinks he dances around a bit too much instead of putting his nose down and moving north and south? That would at least get us something positive...
    Yes, I agree with you that Mendy does dance around too much. If the O-line does manage to open up a hole for him, he should hit it and go.

And since our O-line does not seem able to open up any holes at the moment, I think it's time Arians uses Redman more. At least he is a bruiser who is not afraid to create a hole if there isn't one.
    Hometown Gal.....R.I.P My Black and Gold Sister...See ya in the morning.

The broad formerly known as memphissteelergirl

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

gotta put most of the blame on the line. but i wish we used our 1st round pick on a lineman or something that year we toook mendy. you can find good backs without using 1st round picks. look at fred jackson, issac redman, willie parker, any many others not even drafted at all. i just hope we don't take a RB in the 1st round ever again unless hes the next walter payton

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Anyone else notice how much better we looked with Mendy on the bench that last series? I know it's a different situation, but if you couldn't see Moore ran with better vision and determination on his few carries than 34 did at any point this game than you're just not paying attention.
    Yep. MeMo had to play a much worse hand. With Gilbert playing injured, he was basically running behind a four-man line. And the Colts knew exactly what was coming because of the field position and the clock...and he still did better than Mendy.

But I can't be too critical of Mendy. We only know one side of the story.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    ^this^ plus there were holes to run through all game long. He did not hit the hole, he did his best dancing with the stars impression the whole game. If you look at the tape the cut back was there all day.

Senior Member Array title="shutdown will become famous soon enough"> shutdown's Avatar

The running game was doomed the second Bruce Airhead defended Legursky. Though I love T-Rex's effort and all, just like I like Hokie, he is no starter and he is no run blocker. The running game was doomed the second he got the nod yet again.

Arrogance will always be the Achilles heel of Bruce Airhead.

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

Not Mendenhall's fault. Oline injuries are just killing us worse than ever in everything.

Senior Member Array title="shutdown will become famous soon enough"> shutdown's Avatar

Scotts injury is a blessing. Believe that.