Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst off-season ever?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Worst off-season ever?

The situation Roethlisberger lasted very long.

The situation of Santonio Holmes and his forced steelers has the trade.

Now the injury to Willie Colon

I hope that nothing will happen to Mendenhall.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Worst off-season ever?

and that draft the steelers had

Senior Member Array title="siss is a jewel in the rough"> siss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The situation Roethlisberger lasted very long.

The situation of Santonio Holmes and his forced steelers has the trade.

Now the injury to Willie Colon

I hope that nothing will happen to Mendenhall.
    Thats it the rest of the team will be sequestered in protective custody until training camp...

Also it will give a chance for Hines and Ben to finally have it out!

Royale with cheese Array title="willie is an unknown quantity at this point"> willie's Avatar

And the injury to Sweed...is that a negative or positive though?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Imagine if all of that happened and we traded Ben.

Now that's what i call a FML kinda offseason.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Wow people...some of you act like injuries and bad things have never happened during an off season. The only thing new/different this off season compared to the rest is the Ben suspension. We've dealt with injuries and trades many many times (as have other teams) we'll be just fine like every other time they've had issues...they overcome them.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

"The Standard of Expectation Does Not Change"

The team will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    Wow people...some of you act like injuries and bad things have never happened during an off season. The only thing new/different this off season compared to the rest is the Ben suspension. We've dealt with injuries and trades many many times (as have other teams) we'll be just fine like every other time they've had issues...they overcome them.
    Don't be reasonable while we are jumping off a cliff!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, at least nobody's dead or in jail -- yet.

But let's see ... two season-ending injuries before start of camp (three if you preemptively count Batch), top WR traded away for nothing, Roethlisberger arrested, several real WTF draft picks.

Yup, I think it's safe to say this is at least the worst one in recent memory. 2006 sucked, but really the only thing that happened in the offseason was that our idiot QB leader-of-the-packed himself.

Senior Member Array title="ShoeHorn will become famous soon enough"> ShoeHorn's Avatar

Its still not as bad as any off season in which we knew for certain that Kordell Stewart was our starting QB heading into the new year

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ben got arrested? What did he do now? :rolleyes2:

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

But let's see ... two season-ending injuries before start of camp (three if you preemptively count Batch), top WR traded away for nothing, Roethlisberger arrested, several real WTF draft picks.

Yup, I think it's safe to say this is at least the worst one in recent memory. 2006 sucked, but really the only thing that happened in the offseason was that our idiot QB leader-of-the-packed himself.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Please put the rest of the team in plastic bubbles until training camp.

Senior Member Array title="Shea is an unknown quantity at this point"> Shea's Avatar

It's been a crappy offseason, but let's keep things in perspective.

What's gone wrong is in no way considered anywhere close to a tragedy - it's just annoying, crappy background noise.

Atleast tragedy hasn't hit us, and thank God for that.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

I think the draft what one of the highlights of the off season...they filled almost every major hole/need we have right now. Yes they may have not got player A or B...that you or others thought were better for this reason or that. But they did pick solid guys that filled needs. Most of them wont have to play much if at all (I see Sanders and Dwyer playing the most..excluding ST play)...unless there is an injury.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Wow. Ben was arrested? :rolleyes2:

We'll be fine.

Is it September yet?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    I think the draft what one of the highlights of the off season...they filled almost every major hole/need we have right now. Yes they may have not got player A or B...that you or others thought were better for this reason or that. But they did pick solid guys that filled needs. Most of them wont have to play much if at all (I see Sanders and Dwyer playing the most..excluding ST play)...unless there is an injury.
    Several reaches, a bunch of projects, no ILB, no safeties, no DL in the 1st 6 rounds almost all of these guys will be backups for atleast 5 years if they stay on the team that long, a lot of those picks were stupid

SteelerSal

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    "The Standard of Expectation Does Not Change"

The team will survive.
    I agree!! They will find a way to overcome all of this and it will make this team stronger. IMO

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

You know I don't think you can judge an offseason until the end of the regular season. The Steelers could overcome and Ben plays his best season with a chip on his shoulders and the OL could be top 5 this season with Wallace emerging with over 1,000 yards and 10+ TD this season. Anything can happen and im praying the best will come from this!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

This is the worst off season I've seen since I've been a fan. I can't even think of another close. We'll pull through, I'm sure; right now everyone is tied at 0 and 0. Still, a bad off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Please put the rest of the team in plastic bubbles until training camp.
    YES FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Sorry to rain on everybody's parade but I am not so confident. We still have to overcome B.A., we got a new O-Line coach who I know very little about although it could be a good thing. I was more confident in Larry Z. than I am in B.A. and I think he was a scapegoat for what took place last year. Now we have this to add to what is fast becoming a crappy off season. Let's hope the news somehow gets better from here on out, but as of now I'm not feeling it. Also note it is still a long time from the season opener and maybe just maybe things will change. Let's hope anyway.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Believing our QB could die or not play all season in 2006 was worse imo

We'll be fine. This guys are hungry. One injury doesn't change that
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen'sSwagger View Post
    Sorry to rain on everybody's parade but I am not so confident. We still have to overcome B.A., we got a new O-Line coach who I know very little about although it could be a good thing. I was more confident in Larry Z. than I am in B.A. and I think he was a scapegoat for what took place last year. Now we have this to add to what is fast becoming a crappy off season. Let's hope the news somehow gets better from here on out, but as of now I'm not feeling it. Also note it is still a long time from the season opener and maybe just maybe things will change. Let's hope anyway.
    Excellent confidence. Im happy to see your on the right track in late June, can't wait to see you in September. Come on have faith and believe. These guys have a lot to play for and a chip on their shoulder and If anything only good should come from this!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Excellent confidence. Im happy to see your on the right track in late June, can't wait to see you in September. Come on have faith and believe. These guys have a lot to play for and a chip on their shoulder and If anything only good should come from this!
    Just stating my opinion not trying to put anyone's panties in a bunch.

You shoulda seen me last September I was certain we would repeat had no doubt in the world and look how that all turned out. Can't think of to many seasons we didn't have some sort of chip on our shoulder. Wasn't it the slight at the media announcing the team of the decade and they crowned the cheats with a full season yet to play and us having a legitimate chance at tying the Superbowl record?

I have a saying "I would rather be Lucky than good, because when you're Lucky you don't have to be good." So far this year we have not been very Lucky and therefore I have some concerns. Yes the season has not started yet and there is plenty of time to change the Luck. Remember we won a Superbowl with B.A. and Mitch Berger do you think we had some Luck that year?

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

This isn't something that cannot be overcome. Willie Colon was a good RT, but we can find someone who it just as good to replace him for a season. Maybe someone on this roster will step up, maybe we sign someone who gets cut in TC. Nobody thought we could win Super Bowl 43 with the line that we had then, and we did.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Just stating my opinion not trying to put anyone's panties in a bunch.

You shoulda seen me last September I was certain we would repeat had no doubt in the world and look how that all turned out. Can't think of to many seasons we didn't have some sort of chip on our shoulder. Wasn't it the slight at the media announcing the team of the decade and they crowned the cheats with a full season yet to play and us having a legitimate chance at tying the Superbowl record?

I have a saying "I would rather be Lucky than good, because when you're Lucky you don't have to be good." So far this year we have not been very Lucky and therefore I have some concerns. Yes the season has not started yet and there is plenty of time to change the Luck. Remember we won a Superbowl with B.A. and Mitch Berger do you think we had some Luck that year?
    I don't believe in luck, and I respect your opinion it just seems like to you the sky is falling and yes it is a big kick in the nuts to lose Colon, but hard to judge an outcome before anything even a legitimate training camp practice has occurred.

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Believing our QB could die or not play all season in 2006 was worse imo

We'll be fine. This guys are hungry. One injury doesn't change that

Geez, yeah, that one was bad, too.

I don't believe in luck, and I respect your opinion it just seems like to you the sky is falling and yes it is a big kick in the nuts to lose Colon, but hard to judge an outcome before anything even a legitimate training camp practice has occurred.
    I am sure you respect my opinion as much as I do yours after all we all know what opinions are like and everyone has one. You may think of me as the sky is falling type but no more than I think of you as the holier than thou type. Yes it is only June but I still sting from last years failures after being so confident that we would succeed as early as last June.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Yeah it sure has been a rough off-season with everything from Ben to injuries, this sure has been a bad off-season. I'm hoping things get better as the start of the season comes around. I still think we can make a good run this year, even with everything happening. Let's hope for the best and get ready for training camp.

I am sure you respect my opinion as much as I do yours after all we all know what opinions are like and everyone has one. You may think of me as the sky is falling type but no more than I think of you as the holier than thou type. Yes it is only June but I still sting from last years failures after being so confident that we would succeed as early as last June.
    Yes, but it can't hurt to be positive. It doesn't mean get your hopes up just to watch them falter I just think it's too early to wanna back down or not get any hopes up. At this point we have nothing to lose and I say get at em boys we can still win it all!

- Greg Lloyd