Thread: Give Dixon A Chance (by Chidi29 - June 25, 2010)

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Give Dixon A Chance (by Chidi29 - June 25, 2010)

Writer and professor Peter F. Drucker once said, “Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes; but no plans.” Mr. Drucker wouldn't strike anyone as a football fan, but that quote is very fitting for the Steelers use of quarterback Dennis Dixon.

Ed Bouchette recently said that Byron Leftwich will be the starter in the absence of Ben Roethlisberger. While Leftwich is certainly a capable quarterback in his own right, the issue here is with how Dixon fits in with the team's future plans.

Ever since he was drafted in the fifth round of the 2008 draft, the use for him never was clear. Sitting behind Big Ben, Charlie Batch, and Leftwich, coupled with an ACL tear suffered later in his senior year at Oregon, playing time was scarce early on. Dixon did snag one start last season, under the bright Monday Night lights against the Ravens. Though he played well given the circumstances, it was said that Bruce Arians told Dixon to give him only 15 plays he was most comfortable with, it was only one start.

With the unfortunate events that occurred this offseason, it's safe to say this would be the best chance for Dixon to show the coaches and fans what he can bring to the table. That thought is furthered as he enters his third year in the league and will be as comfortable as ever in both Arians' offense and as an NFL player in general.

Understanding that it is a difficult situation and that giving the team the best chance to win should be, and will be, the primary goal (And if that means starting Leftwich, so be it. I have no issue with him starting) I can't help but wonder if Dixon has a future here. He is entering the last year of his deal and though he'll likely be here in 2011, it will be under a restricted free agent tender. Meaning, he'll become an unrestricted free agent in 2012 (a looming lockout/new CBA do cloud these matters, but let's put that aside for the moment). When Ben Roethlisberger returns, he won't be looking back. Dixon doesn't have an opportunity as good as the one he has now.

Is Dixon going to end up being the #2 backup? Perhaps, but do you want that guy to have the limited experience Dixon has? The team doesn't seem to find that route very appealing, opting to bring back veterans in Leftwich and Batch. Will Dixon be used as trade bait? Unlikely, given the aforementioned limited experience and the difficulty of trading for draft picks. It seems like a lose-lose situation.

This begs the question: What was the plan for Dixon when he was drafted? Better yet, was there a plan? Not to imply that Colbert and company simply threw a dart and it landed on Dixon's name; rather, the catalyst for the pick being promise and hope.

A pick without commitment or plan.

© 2010 Steelers Universe

SteelerSal

Re: Give Dixon A Chance (by Chidi29 - June 25, 2010)

Is Dixon going to end up being the #2 backup? Perhaps, but do you want that guy to have the limited experience Dixon has? The team doesn't seem to find that route very appealing, opting to bring back veterans in Leftwich and Batch. Will Dixon be used as trade bait? Unlikely, given the aforementioned limited experience and the difficulty of trading for draft picks. It seems like a lose-lose situation.
    Might seem like a lose-lose situation but if you think about it, not to many teams have a real "Franchise" QB and I will sacrifice never finding out if Dixon has what it takes to be successful in this league while he is wearing the Black and Gold as long as Ben is healthy and able to give us another 8 solid years for us.
    Dixon has a chance to prove that he is the best option during camp and the preseason and if Lefty is our best chance to win while Ben is out.....so be it. I don't want to be behind the eightball at 0-4 when Ben gets back.
    Dixon, Lefty, Batch or whatever QB may be on the roster will never have the chance to see the field as the starter as long as Ben is healthy.
    If Dixon gets the starting job while Ben is out and goes 4-0....he will only be showcasing his talent for another team because I'm willing to be he thinks he can start in this league and wont want to settle playing backup.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think Colbert had a plan or knew what he was doing when he drafted Dixon

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    Might seem like a lose-lose situation but if you think about it, not to many teams have a real "Franchise" QB and I will sacrifice never finding out if Dixon has what it takes to be successful in this league while he is wearing the Black and Gold as long as Ben is healthy and able to give us another 8 solid years for us.
    Dixon has a chance to prove that he is the best option during camp and the preseason and if Lefty is our best chance to win while Ben is out.....so be it. I don't want to be behind the eightball at 0-4 when Ben gets back.
    Dixon, Lefty, Batch or whatever QB may be on the roster will never have the chance to see the field as the starter as long as Ben is healthy.
    If Dixon gets the starting job while Ben is out and goes 4-0....he will only be showcasing his talent for another team because I'm willing to be he thinks he can start in this league and wont want to settle playing backup.
    I'll take a franchise QB over pretty much anything else myself, but it doesn't mean that we should waste draft picks. If that pick could have been spent somewhere else, you do it. With all the work that is put in scouting players, you should have a plan for every pick.

That's all I'm asking for. I'm not saying to make him the starter without a competition. All I want is for him to have a chance coming into camp. It will be tough giving reps to everyone, but as I said, this will be the best chance Dixon will have with the team.

In regards to the last line, that's fine. That means we could potentially get something for him. I'd just hate to have him give us nothing and get nothing out of him.

SteelerSal

I understand your point also about Dixon. Just happens that wasting this pick because we have one of the best QB's in the league happened to be a good thing.

I hope Dixon gets a fair chance to compete.

Junior Member Array title="rookie phenom is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I'll take a franchise QB over pretty much anything else myself, but it doesn't mean that we should waste draft picks. If that pick could have been spent somewhere else, you do it. With all the work that is put in scouting players, you should have a plan for every pick.

That's all I'm asking for. I'm not saying to make him the starter without a competition. All I want is for him to have a chance coming into camp. It will be tough giving reps to everyone, but as I said, this will be the best chance Dixon will have with the team.

In regards to the last line, that's fine. That means we could potentially get something for him. I'd just hate to have him give us nothing and get nothing out of him.
    I honestly believe at the time they saw maybe some kordell in dixon at the time of drafting him? both very athletic qbs coming out of college. Although Colorado's offense was set up more for passing than dixon's was at oregon.
    Sophomore slump?..... nothin but a myth

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

Every drunk in every bar I know says give dixon a chance.

skinny legs and all

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rookie phenom View Post
    I honestly believe at the time they saw maybe some kordell in dixon at the time of drafting him? both very athletic qbs coming out of college. Although Colorado's offense was set up more for passing than dixon's was at oregon.
    And we know Cowher gave Kordell every chance to prove himself.