Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Gilbert

HERE WE GO Array title="Randy06 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Randy06's Avatar

Marcus Gilbert

What did you guys think of his play today, he is a big body that with work and time I think can be solid.
    "We're going to win the whole fucking thing" - Greg Lloyd

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Marcus Gilbert

A lot of rookie mistakes. Needs time and reps...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I thought he was fine and am happy to have him at RT the rest of the season to improve. He has quickness and size to handle the edge rushers out wide, but will need to learn to play lower and with balance to deal with those counter moves (like the one that almost cost Ben his ACL) and the straight bull rushes.

I still thought Legursky got driven back by Alan Branch a lot when matched up alone on him. It reminded me of Darnell Stapleton or Sean Mahan. I hope Kemo gets back healthy and Foster is able to slide over to RG again.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I thought he was fine and am happy to have him at RT the rest of the season to improve. He has quickness and size to handle the edge rushers out wide, but will need to learn to play lower and with balance to deal with those counter moves (like the one that almost cost Ben his ACL) and the straight bull rushes.

I still thought Legursky got driven back by Alan Branch a lot when matched up alone on him. It reminded me of Darnell Stapleton or Sean Mahan. I hope Kemo gets back healthy and Foster is able to slide over to RG again.
    I like the "dougy," but I have to agree. He is jusrt over-matched a guard. Let him be our back-up center for the next five years and I am happy.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

This

Foster even impressed me more than Kemo. At least he doesn't let his laziness show on the field. Leg is a backup, leave him at that

Mathis will be Gilbert's real test
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

did ok will get better each week

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

He didn't lose the game for us.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Seemed okay from what I saw.

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

I was impressed with him today. He made a bad play early allowing a free rusher on Ben but the rest of the game he did well for a rookie

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Think he did alright for his first game. Looking for continued improvement and a solid part of our O line.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

he had some nice blocks on our 1st TD drive where Mendy kept getting those 9-11 yard bursts. After that i couldnt tell with all the mass of bodies in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

had a solid game so did foster

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I thought he struggled albeit his first game

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

I though Gilbert did pretty good today...a few times during the game i thought id rather have him at LT and J Scott at RT.

Foster also looked pretty good...i do not think there was any drop off at LG with Foster in there...what do you guys think?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I thought that Gilbert and Foster both did a decent job. Scott on the other hand continues to disappoint me. I can't believe that we don't have anyone that can do a better job at LT.

I kept an eye on him a few times. It was somewhat hard to see. A couple times he got a good drive, but I'm sure there are other times he didn't. I'm hoping to have time to go back and watch later on, because I want to focus on Gilbert as well.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

He's a keeper, I think he along with Pouncey will make a solid foundation for a line going into the future.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

ScottBrown_TribScott Brown

Roethlisberger on rookie RT Marcus Gilbert: "I don't think that the game was too big for him. I am very proud of the way he stepped up."

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

not bad for his first game. got beat a few times but i don't look at him as a liability so far.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    ScottBrown_TribScott Brown

Roethlisberger on rookie RT Marcus Gilbert: "I don't think that the game was too big for him. I am very proud of the way he stepped up."
    Just remember, you'll almost never hear Ben talk bad about his offensive line, even when they let him down like last week. He knows that they need all the confidence they can get. He also knows if they think you don't believe in them, they won't block as hard for you.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

He played prett well for his first game and, mistakes were made. That's to be expected and, next week will be a big test.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I really didn't notice him to be honest.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

He didn't lavish praise on right tackle Marcus Gilbert following the Steelers' 24-0 win against the Seahawks.

But considering how rarely he talks up rookies, it was significant that coach Mike Tomlin said Gilbert's play Sunday was "above the line."

"I thought we had some movement there in the first half running the ball on his side," Tomlin said.

Taking over for Willie Colon, who's out for the rest of the season with a torn triceps, Gilbert got introduced with the rest of the offensive starters yesterday at Heinz Field.

"Running out of the tunnel, most people don't get an opportunity to do that," the second-round draft pick out of Florida said. "I got my nervousness out (of the way)."

"I am very proud of the way he stepped up," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who challenged Gilbert last week, after the Steelers found out Colon had been lost for the season. "I don't think the game was too big for him."

Gilbert said he will wait until after watching film before evaluating how he played.

"I'm never satisfied with what I do because I want to be a great player, and I want to help my team," Gilbert said.

Read more: Steelers coach pleased with play of Gilbert - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1YONcZCiH

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

He'll get better with experience.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

This is why I dont really understand why Colon was signed long term. I think Gilbert is and should be at RT for a long time, but not really sold on him being at LT by next season. Gilbert, Chris Scott, Jon Scott and a decent FA like Bryant McKinnie would have been fine. Maybe Colon ends up at guard.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

This is why I dont really understand why Colon was signed long term. I think Gilbert is and should be at RT for a long time, but not really sold on him being at LT by next season. Gilbert, Chris Scott, Jon Scott and a decent FA like Bryant McKinnie would have been fine. Maybe Colon ends up at guard.
    if it doesn't happen next year then it will definitely never happen

We seem to be in good position for that to happen though. If Gilbert proves he can play, and we (likely) draft someone to replace Jon Scott then Colon has to play somewhere, and nowhere better than the place so many have been wanting him to play at
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Marcus Gilbert = new Marvel Smith? I think, or at least hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Marcus Gilbert = new Marvel Smith? I think, or at least hope so.
    We can hope. But, if I remember correctly...Smith apprenticed for a couple seasons at RT while Wayne Gandy played LT. I dont really want to have to deal with Jon Scott at LT for that long.

That is why I will speak some blasphemy and say that I would have rather that the Steelers took Bulaga and JD walton instead of Pouncey and Jason Worlids with their first 2 picks. Bulaga could be ready to play LT by this or next season.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

I saw him down field on run plays... Only had one wiff that I saw.. All in all I think he will be just fine at this juncture...

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    if it doesn't happen next year then it will definitely never happen

We seem to be in good position for that to happen though. If Gilbert proves he can play, and we (likely) draft someone to replace Jon Scott then Colon has to play somewhere, and nowhere better than the place so many have been wanting him to play at
    I don't think we call look to the draft for help at next years LT. It is extremely hard for a kid to step into that spot his first year. The ones that even have a chance will likely be gone, leaving us with the likes of Andrew Datko, or Levy Adcock. Both fine players but probably a year or two away from LT, if they can even play LT. I think we are kinda cornered for next year. With the price of a starting LT free agent, we will likely see Gilbert move over ( I hope ) or Scott back.

AML