Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a headline I never thought I'd see - MarineCorpsTimes: We're Gay, Get Over It

World Champion Array title="Just George is on a distinguished road"> Just George's Avatar

Re: Here's a headline I never thought I'd see - MarineCorpsTimes: We're Gay, Get Over

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Okay, look I understand that you guys are trying to have a serious discussion, but this response was incredibly funny to me. Maybe its the dry delivery, I don't know, but I found it funny as hell. Carry on.
    if you see anything resembling a serious discussion from us - shoot it, burn it with fire. We are a bunch of guys and gals spending our days on the internet, on a football message board, discussing the topic of the day. It was the same sessions I had at college except at 2:00am, drunk

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: Here's a headline I never thought I'd see - MarineCorpsTimes: We're Gay, Get Over

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    Hindes I respect your service to our Country and value your input on this discussion, but the reality is that yesterday military personel were showering with people who were gay and today they are doing the same. I wonder why does knowing who it is change the way people feel about it.

I also have to ask because some gay military personel are reported as saying communal showers are not common in today's military, but I wonder how someone else sees that.

I get that this is an issue, I also understand why some people have some strong feelings about it, but I am left with the fact that this is now the new reality in America's armed forces. I for one will not be suprised if our best and brightest find a way to continue serving our Country with honor and dignity regardless of thier personal feelings. As the son of an Navy man and with many friends who served I have learned to never underestimate what these brave men and women are capable of.
    I think "knowing" changes everything. I think it all comes down to who it is. I can say that unit cohesion has definately taken a hit. You can show me links to surveys and studies that say otherwise, but none of that means anything to me. I have seen first hand, even in the past 24 hours leading up to the repeal, that the dynamic of the group as a whole has changed drastically.

Communal showers still exist...basic training, base gyms, some deployed locations. Most steady state deployment locations have seperate shower stalls in a trailer, but if it had total privacy, why not make them co-ed to begin with.

With all of that said, I will continue to serve with honor and dignity as you put it, but I cannot sit back and deny the fact that this brings a whole new set of issues into a world where we need to be worried about the task at hand, not everything else around us.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    I think "knowing" changes everything. I think it all comes down to who it is. I can say that unit cohesion has definately taken a hit. You can show me links to surveys and studies that say otherwise, but none of that means anything to me. I have seen first hand, even in the past 24 hours leading up to the repeal, that the dynamic of the group as a whole has changed drastically.

Communal showers still exist...basic training, base gyms, some deployed locations. Most steady state deployment locations have seperate shower stalls in a trailer, but if it had total privacy, why not make them co-ed to begin with.

With all of that said, I will continue to serve with honor and dignity as you put it, but I cannot sit back and deny the fact that this brings a whole new set of issues into a world where we need to be worried about the task at hand, not everything else around us.
    Again, isn't it your feeling that are the problem? For those who truly don't care, they will have no problem. Fewer people care every year. It's a dying stigma. There are racists who have to serve with the race they hate. Their feeling are not taken into account, not should they be.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    Again, isn't it your feeling that are the problem? For those who truly don't care, they will have no problem. Fewer people care every year. It's a dying stigma. There are racists who have to serve with the race they hate. Their feeling are not taken into account, not should they be.
    And thats the fundamental difference between you and I, I cannot, and will not, compare race to sexual orientation.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

And thats the fundamental difference between you and I, I cannot, and will not, compare race to sexual orientation.
    That's not the issue. The issue is you don't make policy based on unit cohesion by giving in to some soldiers ick factor. There are many who are gay. Not fair for them to have to lie. There are many who are straight but think this is a non issue as shown in the articles linked. For those few who have an internal issue with it, attitudes change.

You can't point to one military in the world that allowed homosexuals to serve that had to reverse it because it became a problem and there are decades of openly serving gays in some countries.

That's not the issue. The issue is you don't make policy based on unit cohesion by giving in to some soldiers ick factor. There are many who are gay. Not fair for them to have to lie. There are many who are straight but think this is a non issue as shown in the articles linked. For those few who have an internal issue with it, attitudes change.

You can't point to one military in the world that allowed homosexuals to serve that had to reverse it because it became a problem and there are decades of openly serving gays in some countries.
    You made it a part of the discussion when you compared the two.

Are you reffering to surveys like this one that said noone would have a problem with it?

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lea...lts-to-sway-do

And I am not talking about all of those other countries, they have different beliefs, different missions, much less combat experience...Im talking about the US military, apples to oranges again, you cannot compare the two very different situations.

You made it a part of the discussion when you compared the two.

Are you reffering to surveys like this one that said noone would have a problem with it?

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lea...lts-to-sway-do

And I am not talking about all of those other countries, they have different beliefs, different missions, much less combat experience...Im talking about the US military, apples to oranges again, you cannot compare the two much different situations.
    I'm referring to the links I posted.

Much less combat experience? Israel? Different beliefs? Many there follow all of Leviticus.

it's all still down to the attitudes of some. If there are problems, they will be caused by those same people. Self fulfilling. If those attitudes change the problem goes away and no one has to lie and resources spent kicking people out are saved.

World Champion Array title="Just George is on a distinguished road"> Just George's Avatar

I'm referring to the links I posted.

Much less combat experience? Israel? Different beliefs? Many there follow all of Leviticus.

it's all still down to the attitudes of some. If there are problems, they will be caused by those same people. Self fulfilling. If those attitudes change the problem goes away and no one has to lie and resources spent kicking people out are saved.
    Vis I got to say that Israel is not particularly religous.

"Many Jewish Israelis feel that being Israeli (living among Jews, speaking Hebrew, in the Land of Israel), is in itself a sufficient expression of Judaism without any religious observances.[dubiousdiscuss] This conforms to some classical secular-Zionist ideologies of Israeli-style civil religion.[citation needed] In 2007, a poll by the Israeli Democracy Institute found that 27% of Israeli Jews say that they keep the Sabbath, while 53% said they do not keep it at all. The poll also found that 50% of the respondents would give up shopping on the Sabbath as long as public transportation were kept running and leisure activities continued to be permitted; however only 38% believed that such a compromise would reduce the tensions between the secular and religious communities.[11]
    Because the terms "secular" and "traditional" are not strictly defined, published estimates of the percentage of Israeli Jews who are considered "traditional" range from 32%[12] to 55%.[13] Estimates of the percentage of "secular" Jews vary even more widely: from 20%[13][not in citation given] to 80%[14] of the Israeli population."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Israel

for some being Jewish seems to be more of a cultural identity then a religous one. I am not saying that their are not observant Jews in Israel but it is a very different society. They have women in combat, mandatory service, differing structures et al.

"National military service is mandatory for all Israeli citizens over the age of 18, although Arab (but not Druze) citizens are exempted if they so please, and other exceptions may be made on religious, physical or psychological grounds (see Profile 21).
    Men serve three years in the IDF, while women serve two. The IDF women who volunteer for several combat positions often serve for three years, due to the longer period of training. Women in other positions, such as programmers, who also require lengthy training time, may also serve three years. Women in most combat positions are also required to serve in the reserve for several years after they leave regular service."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Defense_Forces

While I think other countries may show us some things that are translatable to the American Armed Forces I don't know if it is simple A to A comparison.

I do believe that the transistion will be made. My father served in World War II when segregation was the offical policy.

"On July 26, 1948, President Harry S. Truman signed Executive Order 9981 integrating the military and mandating equality of treatment and opportunity. It also made it illegal, per military law, to make a racist remark. Desegregation of the military was not complete for several years, and all-black Army units persisted well into the Korean War. The last all-black unit wasn't disbanded until 1954."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...ican_Americans

while many will not compare racial discrimination with that faced by the gay community (and I am not trying to convince anyone any different) I do think that the example of how the military was able to effect that change shows that the military as a self contained culture is able to make dynamic shifts in, if not attitudes and beliefs, then in how they go about getting the job done.

Banned Array title="Spike is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Objection. Counselor is trying to lead the witness.

Why do you presume that this is your forum?

The barrister has already admitted in SU open court that he's a 'women hater' - - so perhaps his suppressed gay gene is rearing it's head and preventing him from being objective.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Hindes

Well said Hindes. I appreciate ALL of those who serve this great country but....

...it is a shame this is happening.

...and sensitivity training in the military...what the hell?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    ...and sensitivity training in the military...what the hell?
    I remember when sexual harrassment complaints were the hot topic in the 90's during the Clinton years...I was there too. What? doctors can't grope the nurses in elevators anymore? The shame. It didn't stop anything.

I went through a decade of those hokey 'mandatory' sensitivity training lectures ....the troops would just go watch, laugh, then go back to work then & try fuck each other and their spouses ....the military isn't a college campus, you live day and night with each other for months at a time...you can't just find a new apartment if you don't like someone. Then, just touching someone could get you in the commander's office....they cracked down too. Order and discipline will be maintained. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it, let the kids have their fun.

So it's the commanders and supervisors who will have to deal with it. It's their job.

"The Marines will make a man out of you!" - - new lesbian recruiting poster

Marines Hit the Ground Running in Seeking Recruits at Gay Center

TULSA, Okla. — Master Sgt. Anthony Henry, a top Marine recruiting trainer for the southwestern United States, pulled up to Tulsa’s biggest gay community center on Tuesday morning and left his Chevy where he could make a fast getaway. “I have an exit strategy,” he said. “I know where my choke points are, I’ve strategically parked my car right on the curbside, I have an out.”

By 3 p.m., more than four hours after the Marines had set up their booth opposite the center’s AIDS quilt, only three women had wandered in, none ideal recruits. The local television crews who had come to watch the action — or inaction, as it turned out — easily outnumbered them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/21/us...a.html?_r=3&hp

Qui dall'inizio Array title="Vincent is on a distinguished road"> Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    The barrister has already admitted in SU open court that he's a 'women hater' - - so perhaps his suppressed gay gene is rearing it's head and preventing him from being objective.
    Tight end on a skinny post.
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20&dateline=127519049  3

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Qui dall'inizio Array title="Vincent is on a distinguished road"> Vincent's Avatar

I remember when sexual harrassment complaints were the hot topic in the 90's during the Clinton years...I was there too. What? doctors can't grope the nurses in elevators anymore? The shame. It didn't stop anything.

I went through a decade of those hokey 'mandatory' sensitivity training lectures ....the troops would just go watch, laugh, then go back to work then & try fuck each other and their spouses ....the military isn't a college campus, you live day and night with each other for months at a time...you can't just find a new apartment if you don't like someone. Then, just touching someone could get you in the commander's office....they cracked down too. Order and discipline will be maintained. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it, let the kids have their fun.

So it's the commanders and supervisors who will have to deal with it. It's their job.
    The mission of the armed forces is to kill people and break things. No "sensitivity" required.

Should have loosed Patton on those bolshevik rat bastards. We wouldn't be dealing with this bull@#$%.
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20&dateline=127519049  3

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,

Abraham Lincoln

the training doesn't work on assholes. Got it. I think we knew that though. But the assholes shouldn't decide the rules. Bust them for being assholes and move on.

the training doesn't work on assholes. Got it. .
    You think soldiers are robots to be re-programmed to "fix" their thinking to conform to your socialist agendas?

If the U.S. military is now a social experiment then the communists have already won.

If the U.S. military is now a social experiment then the communists have already won.
    I suspect that is what they meant when they said "we will bury you from within", and what Vis' tag line "the oncoming storm" is trying to say. They've caused a lot of damage but they haven't won.

I read the book. We win.

Abraham Lincoln

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

I only know what I experienced

I've had firsthand knowledge - back when I was a supervisor in the E.R. we had 2 guys go gay at the same time when their wives dumped them. They were friends of mine too.

Everybody knew they turned into flaming whores - boyfriends hanging around in the lobby at all hours of the day and night on the 12 hr shifts they worked, but they were cut a lot of slack, because they were decent workers. I didn't have a problem with them until the surgeries for ripped up ass holes started. Being the schedule maker I had to work other people extra hours and cut holidays while they limped around saying they couldn't work.

A year later the strange lumps and boils started showing up all over their faces and we moved them out of the public's eye. Can't have people with sores all over their faces working the front desk. So they got rewarded with back office clinic jobs with weekends and holidays off....that pissed off my other workers too - "why are they getting rewarded with more time off when I've been stuck on night shift for 6 months?"

that sort of thing

I'm sorry, but don't take offense to me honestly saying, this sounds a little too much like the quintessential gay fear-mongering story for me to believe. Especially on the internet. Two guys suddenly "go" gay, and within a year they're showing signs of the late stages of AIDS and have severe physical complications?! These are two of the most ridiculous people I've ever heard of. I'm from Massachusetts, and I've never met any gays like this.

Where the hell were you stationed?

You think soldiers are robots to be re-programmed to "fix" their thinking to conform to your socialist agendas?

No, I think the behavior you described is the behavior of assholes.

You think it's better for the gay people in the military to be told to hide that they are gay and I think it's better if the assholes in the military are told to hide that they are assholes. In the name of unit cohesion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post

I'm sorry, but don't take offense to me honestly saying, this sounds a little too much like the quintessential gay fear-mongering story for me to believe. Especially on the internet. Two guys suddenly "go" gay, and within a year they're showing signs of the late stages of AIDS and have severe physical complications?! These are two of the most ridiculous people I've ever heard of. I'm from Massachusetts, and I've never met any gays like this.

Where the hell were you stationed?
    Like I could make something like that up....who knows what those boils were from.

Mountain Home Idaho - used up 10 years and two wives there...not a bad place if you like to hunt and fish
    Last edited by X-Terminator; 09-22-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Sorry, just a bit over the top.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44607673/

JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Wash. — As the highest-ranking member of the U.S. military to come out as gay, retired Rear Adm. Alan S. Steinman had much to celebrate when the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” became official.To mark the occasion, Steinman invited friends to join him for a party at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, near Seattle – one of just a handful of such observances held on military bases Tuesday to mark the expiration of the military’s policy banning gays from serving openly.
    At the conclusion of his speech, Steinman introduced Dallas Powers, his partner of 15 years. Since Powers serves in the U.S. Air Force, Steinman had been forced to keep their relationship a secret, until Tuesday. The announcement was greeted by a spirited round of applause from the group of officers and civilians in attendance, many of whom had been active in the same civil rights campaign.

You think it's better for the gay people in the military to be told to hide that they are gay and I think it's better if the assholes in the military are told to hide that they are assholes. In the name of unit cohesion.
    Why should a small radical minority of society get preferential treatment over anybody else? Cultures do change, so I supose your next step is to get the NAMBLA child sex lovers have their turn to join up next?

Being a homosexual is still illegal in many countries

What's preferential about being able to be in the same army? And did you look at the countries on that list? That list made my point. Every post you seem more pathetic in your position.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Just curious, does the new policy extend to cross dressers and transgenders? Or are they next on the list?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Just curious, does the new policy extend to cross dressers and transgenders? Or are they next on the list?
    Do you think there's a rule about what someone wears off duty at home? I'm sure there are cross dressers in the military. And why should there be a rule against transgender people? If you want to exclude someone you should make your case for doing so.

Is Rev Phelps a member here?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Do you think there's a rule about what someone wheres off duty at home? I'm sure there are cross dressers in the military. And why should there be a rule against transgender people? If you want to exclude someone you should make your case for doing so.

Is Rev Phelps a member here?
    It was a simple question, does this apply to transgendered people and cross dressers as it's written or not? And if not, will they be addressed next?

I never offered any judgement one way or the other. It turns out you're the one who introduced prejudice into my question by making assumptions as to my position. :

It was a simple question, does this apply to transgendered people and cross dressers as it's written or not? And if not, will they be addressed next?

I never offered any judgement one way or the other. It turns out you're the one who introduced prejudice into my question by making assumptions as to my position. :
    So I ask you, is there a rule banning cross dressers? Has there ever been?

I don't know on transgender but I see no reason to ban them and am asking you to provide one. Step up.

By the way there's a huge difference between someone playing dress up at home, and someone who is publicly dressing as a female in public. If you don't think it would cause a ripple in the ranks if you go to the NCO club and you see your NCOIC dressed up looking like Lady GaGa, and it's not Halloweeen then you're in Liberal denial.* This does bring on meaningful discussion, though of course the knee jerk liberal responce is to lump anyone who isn't in total agreement with them with the despicable Phelps group.

(* for lack of a better term, well actually I had a few but I thought XT might get pissed if I used them.

By the way there's a huge difference between someone playing dress up at home, and someone who is publicly dressing as a female in public. If you don't think it would cause a ripple in the ranks if you go to the NCO club and you see your NCOIC dressed up looking like Lady GaGa, and it's not Halloweeen then you're in Liberal denial.* This does bring on meaningful discussion, though of course the knee jerk liberal responce is to lump anyone who isn't in total agreement with them with the despicable Phelps group.

(* for lack of a better term, well actually I had a few but I thought XT might get pissed if I used them.
    Then stop playing games and give your position. Obviously anyone in the military has to wear the uniform they are required to wear. The issue is if cross dressing in private should get them kicked out. Do you think it should? Do you think transgender people should be banned? If so, why? I can make no wrong assumptions if you just provide your actual viewpoint.